Post it and pick it!

Ryro

• Benefactor

L. Julius Bursio, Crawford 352/1c, 85 BC. Remarkably, the engraver opted to use a tiny rendition of an early Republican as as a control mark; the Janus head is unmistakable. (If I squint just right, I can pretend to see a prow on the other coin depicted.) To the best of my knowledge, this is the only such instance in the whole long parade of Roman coins. Nor have I found another example of this die; de Ruyter lists a "two shield" control, which is possibly this mark misunderstood, but since his study lacks illustrations we can't be sure.   One of my favorite coins in my collection!

Phil(55).JPG.b9cd01b96a370454514a38e44a105ab7.JPG

Next: Another cool control mark.

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 9
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Mind blown 1

Macedonian Kingdom, Reign of Philip V

221-179 BC
AE Double Unit (26.3mm, 10.175g, 270o)
O: Radiate head of Helios right.
R: Winged thunderbolt; ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ, ΔΙ monogram above, AI monogram below left , P with pellet in center below right, all within oak wreath.
Mamroth Bronzemünzen 24b, pl. VII, 13; SNG Alpha Bank 1110 ff. var (monograms below); SNG Cop 1258 ff. var (same); AMNG III/2 25 var (same); Sear 6795v

Next: bucranium 

Phillip_Helios.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

[IMG]
Trajan. A.D. 98-117.
Roman orichalcum as, 8.49 g, 23.5 mm, 6 h.
Struck in Rome for circulation in Syria (?); Struck in Antioch (?), AD 115/16.
Obv: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GERM, radiate and draped bust right; c/m: bucranium within incuse punch.
Rev: DAC PARTHICO P M TR POT XX COS VI P P around laurel wreath enclosing large SC.
Refs: RIC 647; BMCRE 1094; Cohen 123; RCV 3243; Woytek 937v; McAlee 509; Strack 479; BN 953-5. For c/m: Pangerl 63; Howgego 294.

Next: Countermark.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

L. Julius Bursio, Crawford 352/1c, 85 BC. Remarkably, the engraver opted to use a tiny rendition of an early Republican as as a control mark; the Janus head is unmistakable. (If I squint just right, I can pretend to see a prow on the other coin depicted.) To the best of my knowledge, this is the only such instance in the whole long parade of Roman coins. Nor have I found another example of this die; de Ruyter lists a "two shield" control, which is possibly this mark misunderstood, but since his study lacks illustrations we can't be sure.   One of my favorite coins in my collection!

Phil(55).JPG.b9cd01b96a370454514a38e44a105ab7.JPG

Next: Another cool control mark.

Wow! - I love it, Phil.

ATB,

Aidan.

• Thanks 1

image.png.27522df9c45d9cbad27f6773c73c330b.png

26,5 mm, 5,08 g.
Augustus 27 BC - 14 AD. Ӕ as, Rome, 7 BC.
CAESAR AVGVST PONT MAX TRIBVNIC POT, head of Augustus, bare, right / M SALVIVS OTHO IIIVIR A A A F F, legend surrounding S C. Obverse countermark on the portrait.
RIC I (second edition) Augustus 431.

Next - Augustus imperial bronze coin 

• Like 8

You want some elaborate hair??? You got it!

[IMG]
Faustina Sr, AD 138-141
Roman AR denarius; 3.83 g, 18.2 mm
Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust, right
Rev: AETERNITAS, Fortuna standing left, holding globe and rudder
Refs: RIC 348; BMCRE 360; Cohen 6; RCV 4577.
Note: Overstruck on previous issue, perhaps a CONCORDIA seated issue of Sabina.

Next: Overstrike.

• Like 5
  • Gasp 1

2586526_1645140275.l-removebg-preview.png.bc07658667bfeadcbc0f1c31a1599555.png.15b7a4a9088946d75df8e878c30fac83.png

Kassander

(316-297 BC). Ae 18 mm. 3.53 gm. Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right. Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΚΑΣΣΑΝΔΡΟΥ. Club and bow in bowcase. SNG Kopenhagen 1159; Moushmov 7271. Rare. Struck over Philip III Arrhidaios, 323-317 BC. uncertain mint in western Asia Minor, circa 323-310. Macedonian shield; on boss, head of Herakles facing slightly to right, wearing lion skin headdress. Rev. Macedonian helmet; to lower left, monogram; to lower right, kerykeion. Price 2803

next: Makedon 

• Like 6

Iberia. Kelse. Circa 45-44 BC. Æ As (30mm, 18.09g, 8h). Obv: Bare male head right; two dolphins to right. Rev: Horseman right, holding palm frond over right shoulder. Ref: ACIP 1490. Good Very Fine, dark green patina with earthen highlights. Ex CNG Inventory 723092 (2000). Ex CNG e431 (24 Oct 2018), Lot 5.

image.jpeg.8674b06084fbf7aaaf0901a391312c33.jpeg

Next: Iberia

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Edessa said:

Next: Iberia

CALIGRPC476.jpg.139dbc1f796bee14c51425e07f7f9af7.jpg

Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Caligula; As of the Roman Imperial Period 37/41; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 29mm; Weight: 11.08g; Mint: Segobriga, Hispania Tarraconensis; Reference: RPC I. 476; Provenance: Ex Subastas Ibercoin Madrid Spain; Obverse: Laureate head of Caligula left. The Inscription reads: C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS IMP for Caius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Imperator (Gaius Caesar, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, Imperator); Reverse: Legend in two lines within oak wreath. The Inscription reads: SEGOBRIGA for Segobriga (City of Segobriga).

Next: a medieval bracteate please...

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

image.png.5cbe210ce30880fca950caf81289d5ae.png

17 mm, 4 g.
L Titurius L f Sabinus. AR denarius. Rome. 89 BC.
Bare head of King Tatius right, bearded, SABIN behind, (palm-branch before?) / Two Roman soldiers running, each bearing a Sabine woman in his arms; L TITVRI in exergue.
Crawford 344/1 (b?); Syd. 698; RSC Tituria 2; Sear 249.

Next - any coin showing a mythological story. 

• Like 7

Mythology of the founding of Rome

This from Virgil
The Aeneid Book VIII
It was night, and through all the land, deep sleep gripped weary creatures, bird and beast, when Aeneas, the leader, lay down on the river-bank, under the cold arch of the heavens, his heart troubled by war’s sadness, and at last allowed his body to rest.
Old Tiberinus himself, the god of the place, appeared to him, rising from his lovely stream, among the poplar leaves (fine linen cloaked him in a blue-grey mantle, and shadowy reeds hid his hair), Then he spoke, and with his words removed all cares: ‘O seed of the race of gods, who bring our Trojan city back from the enemy, and guard the eternal fortress, long looked-for on Laurentine soil, and in Latin fields, here is your house, and your house’s gods, for sure (do not desist), don’t fear the threat of war, the gods’ swollen anger has died away. And now, lest you think this sleep’s idle fancy, you’ll find a huge sow lying on the shore, under the oak trees, that has farrowed a litter of thirty young, a white sow, lying on the ground, with white piglets round her teats, That place shall be your city, there’s true rest from your labours. By this in a space of thirty years Ascanius will found the city of Alba.
Antoninus Pius AE As, RIC 733, Cohen 450, BMC 1624
143-144 AD. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right / IMPERATOR II S-C, Sow facing right under helm-oak, suckling four young, another piglet in front. SC in ex. 25mm, 10.09gr Scarce

Qik2j9GbeTS5k6DyxE33Jq8Ft7ZNRH.jpg.f0aa27a61e102251dd2d6ba1ea20fb71.jpg

Next>More mythology depicted on a coin

• Like 8

Corinth, Corinthia

14-37 AD (Reign of Tiberius)
AE Semis (14mm, 3.03g)
O: Pegasus flying right.
R: Melikertes naked, swimming with dolphin left, left hand holding dorsal fin.
Amandry XVI63

Melikertes was the mortal son of Ino who, while fleeing from her insane husband, flung herself and her son into the ocean from a high cliff near Megara. The two were immediately transformed into sea dieties, and Melikertes was brought ashore to Corinth by a dolphin. Melikertes became Palaimon the patron of sailors, and identified with the Roman god of harbors Portunus.
Melikertes is sometimes depicted with a fish tail and has been associated with the Phoenician god Malquart. It is very easy to see an iconographic similarity between Melikertes and Arion of Corinth or Phalanthos of Taras.

~ Peter 

Corinth_Melikertes.jpeg.jpg

• Like 7

• Benefactor

And here's Ceres searching for her daughter, driving a biga of snakes:

Roman Republic, M. [Marcus] Volteius, AR Denarius, 78 BCE (Crawford) or 75 BCE (Harlan). Obv. Head of Liber [Crawford, Harlan, Yarrow] or young Bacchus [see BMCRR, Sear] right, wearing ivy wreath / Rev. Ceres standing in biga of snakes right, holding torch in each hand, searching for her daughter Proserpina; behind, control symbol of thyrsus; in exergue, M•VOLTEI•M[•F]. 17 mm., 3.87 g. Crawford 385/3; RSC I Volteia 3 (ill. p. 100); BMCRR I 3160; RBW Collection 1416 (ill. p. 291); Harlan RRM I Ch. 12 pp. 66-68 [Michael Harlan, Roman Republican Moneyers and their Coins, 81 BCE-64 BCE (Vol. I) (2012)]; Yarrow pp. 168-169 & ill. p. 170 fig. 4.8 [Liv Mariah Yarrow, The Roman Republic to 49 BCE: Using Coins as Sources (2021)]. Purchased 8 Aug 2022 from Lucernae Numismatics, Alcala la Real, Spain.*  [Footnote omitted.]

image.png.83fee6614551b6e5f8bd1f4d1ca6ecc2.png

Next: another ancient coin depicting a serpent or serpents.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1