Post it and pick it!

Ryro

48 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Next, another Valentinian I in AV or AR.

No gold here

2375a1db34514f59b455f129d2893f41.jpg

Valentinian I, Siliqua - Constantinople mint, 4th officina
DN VALENTINI - ANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VOT V in a laurel wreath, CP•Δ at exergue
1.57 gr
Ref : RC # 4097v, RIC IX # 13a, Cohen # 69

Next : another chipped coin

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

Taras, Calabria

240/35-212 BC
AR Diobol (10mm, 0.74g)
O: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with Triton.
R: Infant Herakles, nude, strangling a serpent with each hand; monogram to left, ΛE in exergue.
D'Andrea XLV, 1664; D'Andrea Diobols I, 275; Vlasto 1460-61; HN Italy 1068; Cote 551; SNG ANS 1474-75; SNG France ---; McGill ---
Very scarce
ex Munzhandlung Ritter

A scarce diobol showing the infant Herakles strangling the two serpents sent by Hera to kill him, it becomes even scarcer with Athena facing right.
Vlasto has two specimens, both of which describe Her helmet as decorated with a 'sea horse' (hippocamp), but which is actually 'Triton'.
The damage to this coin is unfortunate but did bring the price down without really affecting the devices, other than impairing Athena's otherwise full crest.

Next: a symbol as the main device

kK8R3DBqemM5yY2bZwE49idCnX6nQx_6~2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Taras, Calabria

333-331/30 BC (Period IV - Archidamos and the Third Lucanian War)
AR Didrachm (20mm, 7.54g)
Signed by the Kal... engraver. 
O: Nude horseman right, wearing shield on left arm and holding two spears in left hand, preparing to thrust third spear held in right hand; |- behind, Δ before, ΚΑΛ and Δ below.
R: Phalanthos astride dolphin right, holding crested helmet; stars flanking, ΤΑΡΑΣ to left, ΚΑΛ below.
D'Andrea XXXII, 657; Vlasto 545; Cote 215; McGill II, 41; Evans IV, H3; HGC I, 794; HN Italy 896; SNG ANS 971; Sear 345
ex Monarch Beach

Archidamos III reigned as King of Sparta from 360 BC until his death in 338. Summoned by the Tarentines to assist them in the first Lucanian war, he lead a mercenary army to Manduria in Calabria, where he fell in battle against the combined forces of the Messapians and Lucanians.
The historian Diodorus suggests that the death of Archidamos and the massacre of his army was divine vengeance for his plundering of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi.

Next: usurper

Vlasto_545.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Next: something Hellenistic.

Hellenistic from the Greek - Hellēn meaning "a Greek" and the period from the conquests of Alexander the Great to the rise of the Roman Empire.  During this period, Greek culture spread across a large part of the Middle East and Asia Minor.

Notes on this coin: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/boeotian-federal-coinage

BoeotiaThebesDrachm.jpg.69aa4d79abc7a13612eb29e6e4fc4bdb.jpg

BOEOTIA, Federal Coinage, circa 225-171 BC AR Drachm (18mm, 5.04 g, 11h).
Obv: Laureate head of Poseidon right
Rev: Nike standing left, resting on trident and holding wreath; monogram to inner left
Ref: BCD Boiotia 126

Next: something Roman

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

AnonymousJaniformRRAE.jpg.142690edea9f52cf85643c8d0da8c7bc.jpg
Anonymous, Second Punic War, 218-202 BCE.
Roman Republican Æ as, 27.8 g, 31.1 mm, 1 h.
Uncertain mint south of Rome (Campania?).
Obv: Laureate head of bearded Janus, I above.
Rev: Prow of galley, right; I above, ROMA below.
Refs: Group D1, McCabe, Andrew. "The Anonymous Struck Bronze Coinage of the Roman Republic" in Essays in honour of Roberto Russo / ed. by Peter G. van Alfen and Richard B. Witschonke. - Zürich ; London : Numismatica Ars Classica NAC, 2013, pp. 141-144.

Next: Anonymous issue.

• Like 8

Here's my favourite aes grave coin.

Gens: Anonymous
Coin: Bronze As
I - Laureate head of bearded Janus
I - Prow of galley right
Mint: Rome (ca. 225-217 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 249.20g / 64mm / 12h
References:
  • Sydenham 71
  • Crawford 35/1
  • HN Italy 337
  • ICC 74
  • BMCRR Rome 1-9
Provenances:
  • Ex. S & S Collection
Acquisition: CNG Online auction Triton XXVI #598 10-Jan-2023

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next - some more aes grave

• Like 7
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

This is reasonably intact, not clipped at least.

Ruler: Constantius II (Augustus)
Coin: Silver Siliqua
D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG - Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
VOTIS/XXX/MVLTIS/XXXX - Legend within wreath
Exergue:
spacer.gif spacer.gif
symbol11.gifsymbol21.gifsymbol88.gif
Mint: Lugdunum (Lyon) (361 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 2.05g / 17mm / 0h
References:
  • RIC VIII Lugdunum 216
Acquisition: Irish Coin Fair 11-Apr-2010

spacer.png

Next - someone else diademed.

• Like 8

FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, diademed draped bust right / SALVTI AVGVSTAE, SC below, Salus seated left on a low decorative chair, feeding from a patera a serpent coiled around and raising up from altar.
Faustina II AR Denarius, 18mm, 3.27g. RIC 495a, RSC 15, BMC 1099
Rome mint 156/7 CE

7nfLrSE4Ab8a8Bo6g2MXCt9HWzc53p.jpg.569f56e7561958ac09e8443b2e8da653.jpg

NEXT: Male or Female from 3rd century AD

Edited by expat
  • Like 7

image.png.0fb9752b74939eed46eb5e0bf191a5bc.png

17 mm, 2,68 g.
Orbiana. Augusta 225-227. AR denarius. Rome. 227 AD.
SALL BARBIA ORBIANA AVG, bust of Orbiana, diademed, draped, right / CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia, draped, seated left, holding patera in right hand and double cornucopiae in left hand.
RIC IV Severus Alexander 319; BMC 287-290; RSC 1.

Next - an empress who is not common. 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

Next - an empress who is not common. 

Not common is relative 😄 ... I have post a Plautilla - nor very rare, but not common. 

I like this coin - because Plautilla looks like an Elb from Lord of the Rings - and at the reverse, Caracalla looks like a Halloween Skeleton.

PLAUTRIC365b.jpg.05fedb0c912820db3e11fe4a29d6a947.jpg

Publia Fulvia Plautilla; Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 202/205 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.41g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Caracalla 365b; Provenance: Ex CGB.fr Numismatique Paris; Obverse: Visible is the draped bust of Fulvia Plautilla facing right. The inscription reads: PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA for Plautilla Augusta; Reverse: Shown are Plautilla to the left and toga-clad Caracalla to the right, both standing facing each other holding hands. The inscription reads: CONCORDIA FELIX for Concordia felix (the fortunate harmony).

Next: a coin with a failed (funny) portrait... 

• Like 9

This portrait of Caligula is not exactly "fine style."

CaligulaCarthagoNova.jpg.97861faa1c041c34a72bf040f89e97b7.jpg

Caligula, 37-41 CE.
Roman provincial Æ 28 mm, 11.17 gm.
Carthago Nova, Spain, 37-38 CE.
Obv: C. CAESAR AVG. GERMANIC. IMP. P.M. TR.P. COS., laureate head of Caligula, r.
Rev: CN. ATEL. FLAC. CN. POM. FLAC. II. VIR. Q.V.I.N.C., head of Salus r., SAL AVG across field.
Refs: SGI 419; Heiss 272, 35; Cohen 247, 1; RPC I, 185; SNG Cop 503.

Next: Salus.

• Like 8
  • Yes 1

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M, laureate head right
Rev:– SALVTI AVGG, Salus seated left feeding snake coiled around altar
Eastern mint. A.D. 198
Reference:– BMCRE page 281 Note, citing RD page 102. RIC 497b corr.

RI_064ow_img.jpg

Next:- A holed coin.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Next: lion

HETOUM1000.jpg.547a55f71cb1cbd2e02d41ae7cb8caaa.jpg

Hetoum I (Hethum) and Zabel (Isabella); 
Reign: Hetoum I, Armenian Kingdom, Cilician Armenia; Mint: Sis; Date: 1226/1252 AD; Nominal: Tram; Material: Silver; Diameter: 21mm; Weight: 2.91g; Reference: cf. AC 339 (for the type); Obverse: Zabel and Hetoum standing facing one another, each crowned with head facing and holding long cross between them; Inscription: ԿԱՐՈՂՈՒԹ ԻԻՆՆ ԱՅ Ե; Translation: By the will of God; Reverse: Crowned lion advancing right, head facing, holding long cross; Inscription: ՀԵԹՈՒՄ ԹԱԳԱՒՈՐ ՀԱՅՈՑ; Translation: Hetoum, King of the Armenians.

Next: medieval lions please...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

6 hours. And I have no medieval lions. This is as close to medieval as I can get, and it wouldn't surprise me if the felines in the coat of arms were supposed to be leopards anyway:

Henry VII, AR Groat, profile issue, regular issue, 1504-1509, London Mint. Obv. Crowned and draped bust right, wearing arched imperial crown with triple band, HENRIC' VII' DI' GRA' REX AGL' Z F' [Henry the Seventh by the Grace of God King of England and France] / Rev. Royal shield of arms over long cross forked, POSVI DEV. A DIVTOR E': MEV' [abbreviation of POSUI DEUM ADJUTOREM MEUM; I have made God my helper]. Mintmark pheon [barbed arrowhead pointing downward] on both obv. and rev., saltire stops (mixed on rev.). S. 2258. 26 mm., 2.98 g., 9 h. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 270, Mar 9, 2023, Lot 2097; ex Clive Dennett Coins, Norwich, UK (retail purchase 1991).*

image.jpeg.5f95db96e5bb23bac1f771fe530bf181.jpeg

*See Peter Seaby, The Story of British Coinage (1985) at pp. 83-84 (ill. 106 at p. 83 shows a specimen of S. 2258 with mintmark pheon), describing the introduction under Henry VII of an individualized profile portrait of the king, instead of the facing image of a generalized monarch that had previously been featured on the obverses of English coinage, representing “a step moving from medieval to Renaissance style, . . . perhaps coinciding with the appointment of Alexander de Brugsal, a German goldsmith, as engraver to the mint.” Thus, “in 1504, there were produced at the London mint coins with a profile portrait which compete for excellence with the finest portrait pieces issued by the Italians.  This new coinage consisted of testoons of twelve pence (the first of this denomination to be issued), groats and half-groats, though only the last two coins appear to have been minted in any quantity. These portrait pieces have been attributed to Alexander de Brugsal, though as he moved to Antwerp in 1504 it is possible that they were the work of some other engraver.” The author notes that Henry VIII retained his father's portrait on his own coins for the first fifteen years of his reign.  

Next, a portrait of another monarch named Henry (or a variant of that name). Any country, any Roman numeral.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 4

11 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Next, a portrait of another monarch named Henry (or a variant of that name). Any country, any Roman numeral.

The assassination of french King Henri IV (1610)

Ravaillac1.jpg
©https://blog-histoire.fr/2000-ans-histoire/2344-l’assassinat-d’henri-iv.html

b91fb812229b42cbaf223f5c81d8c75f.jpg

Henri IV (1589-1610) - Demi Franc 1601 - Atelier de Toulouse (M et point sous la cinquième lettre)
HENRICVS . IIII . D . G . FRANC . ET . NAV . REX, buste lauré et cuirassé avec un col plat. A l'exergue 16 M 01.
trefle SIT . NOMEN . DOMINI BENEDICTVM . Croix fleuronnée avec H en son centre
6.81 gr
Ref : Ciani # 1540

Next : another ruler who died assassinated (not Roman third century CE please, that's too easy 🙂 )

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 3

How does murdered by a VOLLEY OF ARROWS sound for a way to get assassinated???

400739.l.jpg.3c1def388cf3a2c81466ae20691a5d33.jpg.cdd9311486b45070c24dd3a4e19fcc12.jpg

Antigonos I Monophthalmos, Kolophon, c. 310-301. Head of youthful Herakles in lion's skin headdress to right. Rev. ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle in his right; to left, Φ; below throne, AP monogram. Price 1828. Well centered on a broad flan. Toned. Very fine.

next: another epic death

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Ryro said:

next: another epic death

After Antigonos Monophtalmos, the following seems mandatory

French King Henri II had been hit by a spear right in the eye during a tournament. To try understanding what had hapened and moreover what to do then, the surgeon general had the brilliant idea of inflicting the same wounds to prisoners. The prisoners all died, and also did the king. Too bad !

Tournoi-HenriII.jpg
©https://www.france-pittoresque.com/spip.php?article5878

974fff2074b34c118100bcb88ef3336e.jpg

Henri II (1547-1559) - Teston 1555 - Atelier de Toulouse (M)
. HENRICVS II . D . G . FRANCO . REX, buste cuirassé a droite
XPS . VINCIT . XPS . REGNAT . XPS . IMPER coeur sur croissant, ecu de France couronné accosté de deux H couronnés. M a la pointe de l'ecu
9.49 gr
Ref : Ciani # 1271v

Next : teston

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 2
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Qcumbor said:

Next : teston

6h rule ... sorry have no teston 😞 

AUGBON1918.jpg.e3bcd86efa83ed8e49fc8f63e4d68095.jpg

German States Augsburg, Sacrum Imperium Romanum (HRR Holy Roman Empire); 
Reign: Hartmann von Dillingen; Mint: Augsburg, Diocese; Date: ca. 1250/1286 AD; Nominal: Bracteate (Brakteat); Material: Silver Sheet metal; Diameter: 21mm; Weight: 0.69g; Reference: KM 2652; Reference: Bonhoff 1918; Reference: Berger 2652; Reference: Steinhilber 93; Description: Mitred head of the bishop facing between two annulets, all surrounded by a ring of crescents.

Next: another Brakteate from South-Germany please... 

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

Germany, Bamberg. Arnold von Solms, Bishop, AD 1286-1296. AR Bracteate Pfennig (17mm, 0.47 and 0.48g). Obv: Star within circular frame of alternating crosses and semicircles. Rev: Incuse of obverse over enthroned Bishop. Ref: Krug 87

image.jpeg.b1844add0da365e1917a2d260b64ca0d.jpeg

image.jpeg.a38d642da478fca6077cc566caf350f4.jpegNot sure of the intent, but all of these issues seem to have a reverse of an enthroned Bishop that is all but obliterated by the incuse design from the obverse.

Next: More Medieval Germany.

• Like 7
  • Yes 1