Post it and pick it!

Ryro

• Benefactor

My only lifetime Faustina I:

Faustina I [a/k/a Major, Senior, & Elder] [wife of Antoninus Pius], AR Denarius 139-Oct 140 AD [lifetime issue], Rome Mint. Obv. Diademed and draped bust right, FAVSTINA AVGVSTA / Rev. Concordia standing left, holding patera with extended right hand and double cornucopiae with left arm, CONCORDIA AVG. RIC III 335 Antoninus Pius, RSC II 151, Sear RCV II 4668 (ill.), BMCRE 133, Dinsdale 008710 [Dinsdale, Paul H., Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Caesar AD 138-161: Antonine Coinage (2018) at p. 99; photo at p. 100] [see http://romanpaulus.x10host.com/Antoninus/04%20-%20Faustina%20I%20-%20Undated%20139-140%20%28med_res%29.pdf pp. 10-11]. 19 mm., 2.84 g.

image.jpeg.54b32a4b69046b3604150d8d8bb1f2ed.jpeg

Next, changing the subject -- since it has been more than 6 hours! -- Marcus Aurelius Caesar. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Marcus Aurelius Caesar,

Marcus Aurelius, as Caesar. AE As. 151-152 AD. Struck under Antoninus Pius.

Obv: AVRELIVS CAESAR ANTONINI AVG PII FIL, bare head right.
Rev: TR POT VI COS II. VIR-TVS and S-C across fields. Virtus standing
left, foot on helmet, holding spear and parazonium (A parazonium is a long triangular dagger, wide at the hilt end and coming to a point. In Roman mythology, it is frequently carried by Virtus, particularly in early representations. It is also sometimes carried by Mars, Roma, or the emperor, giving them the aura of courage).

RIC 1307; Cohen 1013.13,0 g - 26,5 mm

7bYJ78Bpec5Xt6QsG6g9Em4TqK42M3-Copy-Copy.jpg.051361169d11d4fb1bd562ac5376cbce.jpg

NEXT: Lucius Verus

Edited by expat
  • Like 2

Here's a Lucius Verus, @expat.

LuciusVerusAugustaTraianaThreeNymphs.jpg.7bacf588bb5730fcc642de1fb0bf3ae7.jpg
Lucius Verus, AD 161-169.
Roman Provincial Æ assarion, 4.23 g, 18 mm.
Thrace, Augusta Traiana, AD 161-169.
Obv: ΑV ΚΑΙ Λ ΑV-ΡΗ ΟVΗΡΟϹ, bare head, right.
Rev: ΑV-Γ-ΟV-ϹΤΗϹ | ΤΡΑΙΑΝΗϹ, three nymphs, stolate, standing facing, arms draped on each other's shoulders and holding unknown objects (thymiatera? tripods?) at sides.
Refs: RPC IV 10343 (temporary); Schonert-Geiss 89; Varbanov II 909; Moushmov (1912) --; Moushmov Online 2987A; Staal, pl. 2, fig. 12.

Next: Nymphs (more than one).

• Like 9

6 hours and a little cheating - this coin has a nymph on each side ... but the same one. 

image.png.2d43959be3affa090ca63e2417e4fbc1.png

14 mm, 1,94 g.
Euboea, Histiaia. AR tetrobol. Circa 338-304 BC.
Head of nymph Histaia to right, wreathed with vine, hair rolled / Nymph Histaia seated to right on stern of galley, wing on galley around IΣTIAIEΩN.
Cf.S.2496; BCD Euboia 387ff; HGC 4, 1524.

Next - a tetrobol. 

• Like 10

Here's a tetrobol.

State, City: Troas, Gargara
Coin: Silver Tetrobol
- Laureate head of Apollo right
ΓΑΡΓ - Bull grazing left
Mint: (350 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 2.83g / - / -
References:
  • SG4088
Acquisition: agoracoins eBay 12-Mar-2005

spacer.png

Next - an animal of the bovine persuasion.

• Like 9

Thurii, Lucania

300-280 BC
AR Didrachm (21mm, 7.67g)
O: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet ornamented with Skylla hurling a stone.
R: Bull butting right; ΘOYPIΩN and ΘE above, tunny fish in ex.
SNG ANS 1081; HN Italy 1870; Sear 443v (no inscription on exergual line)
From the Frederick H. Rindge collection; ex Jack H. Beymer

Rising from the ruins of New Sybaris, Thurii was originally planned by Perikles of Athens as a Greek utopia. Scientists, artists, poets and philosophers from all over the Greek mainland were encouraged to immigrate to southern Italy around 443 BC to help establish this new city tucked against the mountains between two rivers on the west coast of the Tarentine Gulf. Among those accepting the challenge was Herodotus, who finished his ‘Histories’ here before his death in 420. The sophist Protagoras of Abdera also came, and was commissioned to write the new city’s democratic constitution.
However this idea of a peaceful colony of free-thinkers was destined to be short-lived. By 413 BC the colony was at war with mother-city Athens, and in 390 Thourii suffered a significant defeat by the Lucanians. In response the Thurians called in help from Rome to deal with this threat, and then again in 282 for its’ war with Taras. The city was plundered by Hannibal of Carthage during the second Punic war, who left it in ruin.

Thourioi.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1

???

I'm just going to go with Ceres.

FaustinaJrCERESSCseatedcornearsandpoppysestertius.jpg.347877bfa234969cda980987eb759a31.jpg
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 28.83 g, 32.5 mm, 12 h.
Rome, AD 162-164.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust, right, wearing two strands of pearls (Beckmann Type 7 hairstyle).
Rev: CERES S C, Ceres seated left on cista, holding corn-ears and poppy in raised right hand and short, transverse torch in left hand.
Refs: RIC 1623; BMC 895n.; Cohen 39; MIR 2-6/10b; RCV –.

Next: "Tiber patina."

• Like 8
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, Roman Collector said:

???

I'm just going to go with Ceres.

FaustinaJrCERESSCseatedcornearsandpoppysestertius.jpg.347877bfa234969cda980987eb759a31.jpg
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 28.83 g, 32.5 mm, 12 h.
Rome, AD 162-164.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust, right, wearing two strands of pearls (Beckmann Type 7 hairstyle).
Rev: CERES S C, Ceres seated left on cista, holding corn-ears and poppy in raised right hand and short, transverse torch in left hand.
Refs: RIC 1623; BMC 895n.; Cohen 39; MIR 2-6/10b; RCV –.

I had not heard of this term before "Tiber Patina" - so I found this nice site at Calgary Coin:

"A true Tiber patina forms on bronze coins found in anaerobic water such as the bottom of the Tiber River. Characterized by a natural subdued brassy color with no more than a thin layer of copper oxide, normally with very light pitting evenly over the surface."  Calgary Coin: https://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/grading/patina.htm

Your coin definitely matches the description & is a nice looking coin too.  Here's the first coin I thought of - although neither bronze nor likely to have been anywhere near the Tiber River.

SriLankaCholaInvasionAV.jpg.94a96682964b893486957dd7a0651641.jpg

Ceylon, Medieval: Anonymous, ca. 990-1070, AV stater (4.36g), Mitch-825, king running, holding conch, legend sri lanka vighu to left // king standing, holding flower, bold strike, slightly debased gold, a well-centered strike.

For this and other coins that are "out of my comfort zone" see: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/out-of-my-comfort-zone

Returning now to the request from Roman Collector.

Edited by Sulla80
I can't type
  • Like 9

020879_l(3).jpg.d5c6de42303739a2129dfa0d1d5c42bc.jpg

Anonymous AE Quadrans, 81-161 AD

Roman Imperial. Anonymous AE Quadrans (18 mm, 2.70 g). Time of Domitian to Antoninus Pius. Rome, AD 81-161.

Obv. Youthful veiled head of Annius Verus (?) as the personification of Winter to right, wearing wreath of reeds.

Rev. S•C within olive wreath fastened with jewel at apex.

Van Heesch pl. 25, 3; RIC 35.

Very rare. Tiber patina. Fine.

Next:  personification

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Next:  personification

How about a Phrygian personified "demos" (the ruling body of free citizens in ancient Greek city-states personified).  In this case the citizens of Cotiaeum, Conventus of Synnada.  ΑΥΡ ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΥ ΚΟΤΙΑΕΩΝ Cotiaeum  Aurelian Markianos magistrate (archon).  One of only 4 known examples.

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/11054

DemosPhrygiaCotiaeum.jpg.395ac0b15d0f16734f3aeefb21eee87e.jpg

Next: an ancient coin that you don't see often on Numisforum.

Edited by Sulla80
my typing & spelling is not good
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

KUSHAN DYNASTY Vima Kadphises, 95-127 AD. AE Tetradrachm, 28mm, 16.5g, 2h.

Obv. BACIΛEΥC BACIΛEωN OOHMO MEΓAC OOHM KAΔΦICHC; Kadphises, standing facing, head left, sacrificing over altar to left and holding hand on hilt; to left, filleted trident behind, tamgha and club to right.

Rev: Siva with three heads standing facing, holding trident in raised right hand and resting lowered left hand on bull Nandi standing to right, behind; tamgha above to left with kharoshthi legend maharaja rajadhiraja sarvaloga isvarasa mahesvarasa.

Mitchner 3040

vima.jpg.d4dabfd7e013a8bdb9f51cf66ae01ca7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2
  • Yes 1

9 hours ago, Cordoba said:

Next: eastern greek

6h rule...

ANTSC1369C.jpg.951c92e718ba75b13ca957717890dc64.jpg

Antiochos (Antiochus), Son of Seleukos IV
Reign: Seleukid Kings of Syria; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem
Date: ca. September-October/November 175 BC
Nominal: Tetradrachm; Material: Silver; Diameter: 28mm; Weight: 16.46g
Reference: SC 1369c; Reference: HGC 9, 611; Reference: Le Rider, Antioche 20

Pedigree: Numismatic Fine Arts Auction 28, 23 April 1992, Lot 728; Harlan Berk 72, 4 August 1992, Lot 164; Harlan Berk 97, 12 August 1997, Lot 205; UBS Auction 52, 11 September 2001, Lot 118 (misattributed as Antiochos IV); From the Medicus Collection

Obverse: Diademed head of the young Antiochos right; Reverse: Apollo seated left on thunderbolt, examining arrow held in right hand and resting left hand on grounded bow, tripod in outer left field; Inscription: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY; Translation: Basileos Antiochou; Translation: King Antiochos

Next: another Tetradrachm from the Seleucid Kings...

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

Seleucid Kingdom, Seleukos I, Silver tetradrachm

Obv:- Head of Herakles right, clad in lion head headdress
Rev:- BASILEWS SELEUKOU, Zeus enthroned left, holding Nike and scepter, monogram left;
Antioch mint, c. 300 B.C.;
Tef:- SNG Spaer 2, WSM 923, CSE 8

Seleucid_Kingdom_1a_img.jpg

Next:- Antioch mint

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

My avatar is a reverse of a coin that was very high on my wish list. 

image.png.a75c617d7f6f68dde769361e9c5c7f43.png

19 mm, 3,02 g.
Trajan 98-117. AR denarius. Rome. 103-111.
IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, bust of Trajan, laureate, right / S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, Dacian, wearing peaked cap, in attitude of mourning, seated right on oval shield; curved sword (falx) below.
RIC II Trajan 219; RSC 529; BMC 175.

For me this is the most representative denarius with Dacians, because it clearly represent the curved sword - the Dacian national weapon. 

Next - keep the same theme - a good one!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

Next- your Avatar, and the reason why you chose it.

8 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

Next - keep the same theme - a good one!

Same theme avatar?

popevatican.jpeg.b331f7bc78dddb204b154b1f679b4201.jpeg
Pope Gregory XIII, Italy Vatican, Medal minted 1572

Minted for the "joy" of the massacre of the Huguenots in Paris 1572 during the famous Bartholomew's Night. Also known as the "Parisian Blood Wedding". You can see a winged angel on the back, a sword in one hand, a cross in the other. Dead Huguenots lie on the ground, other corpses are loaded onto a cart for removal. Pope Gregory XIII did not directly support the massacre. However, he expressly welcomed the slaughter of the Huguenots.

Thus, two contradictory events remain in the memory of this Pope. In a good and in a terrible way, Pope Gregory XIII inscribed himself in the history books. In connection with the Night of St Bartholomew, but also in connection with his calendar reform. His Gregorian calendar is the calendar we use today.

Sources if you are interested: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bartholomew's_Day_massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_XIII
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

My Vatican Avatar and the Vatican Medal 🙂 

Next: same theme again...

• Like 9

My avatar of Faustina I was chosen because it was the first of either Elder or younger that I purchased. After reading and being impressed by the coinage in the Faustina Friday series by @Roman Collector I knew I had to start collecting some.

Faustina Sr AR Denarius, RIC 361, RSC 101a, BMC 417, SEAR 4583. DIVA FAVSTINA, with elaborate hairstyle and draped bust right / AVGV-STA, Ceres standing left, long hair tied behind, raising right hand & holding long torch with left.
Rome mint, A.D. 141.  3,0 g - 15 mm

pM9Ga3PtcD2ZbDx8J42ozRM75wgC5L-Copy.jpg.2e7b5013e6de6acbeefdbf486bd1cef1.jpg

NEXT: Continue with your avatar and why

• Like 8
  • Clap 1