Post it and pick it!

Ryro

10 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

FerdinandIHungaryDenar1538.png.8b8492a968a508ab947c6a47cfe134e2.png

Ferdinand I
Hungary
Denar
Obverse: Fourfold curved coat of arms: Hungarian Árpád stripes, Hungarian double cross, Dalmatian leopard heads, Bohemian lion; in center chest shield Austrian bonds. Year above shield within inner circle.
Reverse: Crowned Madonna with child in right arm divides mintmark

Next: A coin from the Hungarian empire

That is a great looking coin. Not sure what 'Hungarian empire' should mean. At this time the empire was that of the Habsburg family, which annexed parts of the Kingdom of Hungary after the disaster at Mohacs and a series of conflicts with local magnates under Zapolya Janos and his heir.

But here's going back to the zenith of Hungarian power, the age of Mathias Corvinus:

col1_html_7547daaa.jpg.af7ac60348120b53d7bdf510527ff73f.jpg

AR17mm 0.55g 500/1000 silver title good billon denar struck at Nagybanya mint 1468-70, under joint voivodeship of Transylvania by Pongrac Janos and Csupor Miklos. After years of poor quality coinage and official counterfeit-level debasement, Mathias introduced the quality billon denier which circulated a lot, both in Hungary proper and in the neighboring principalities. This one is very worn on the reverse but the obverse coat of arms with the Corvinus raven and Mathias name is very clear.

• Like 7

6+ hours 

Screenshot_20201221-121205_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.7dcf19b744f040e917fb78c8188cff03.png

Pyrrhus (278-276 BCE) Sicily, Syracuse, AE 23mm 10.25 gr, head of young Herakles left, wearing lion's skin, rev. Athena Promachos advancing right w/owl to right of foot

Next: another great general

• Like 9

Macedonian Kingdom

after 323 BC
AR Drachm (18mm, 3.91g)
O: Head of Alexander as Herakles right, clad in lion's skin.
R: Zeus enthroned left, holding eagle and sceptre, his right leg drawn back; buckle symbol in field to left, monogram (cresent above A) beneath throne, AΛEΞANΔPOY behind.
Lampsakos mint (posthumous issue).
cf Price 1372; Sear 6730v
ex Jack H. Beymer

Next: portrait of a king (not an emperor)

1AlexanderDrachm_0.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

L Titurius L.f. Sabinus Denarius. 89 BC. Ref Tituria 2
Bare head of King Tatius right. SABIN behind. Palm branch to bottom right.
Two Roman soldiers standing facing, looking at one another, each carrying a Sabine woman in his arms.
L.TITVRI in ex. Cr344/1b, Syd 698a.
The Sabines were the women of the Sabine people. At the foundation of Rome, Romulus tries to negotiate with the Sabine people so that the Romans can marry Sabines in order to found their families. The Sabine men refused and, at a pretext festival, the Romans abducted the Sabines women and repelled the Sabines men. After several confrontations, the two finally decide to ally and allow the Sabines women to marry Romans. It is still debated whether the rape of Sabines women really happened or not; Livy. excluding any references to sexual assault, states Romulus offered them the choice to marry Romans and get some rights.

20231217_120458__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.cfe39b44ccdb26b582f56ccb373867a3.png

• Like 8

Hermes.jpg.dfb0f6326013236bf6756dedc6787d65.jpg

Aeolis, Aigai.

2nd-1st centuries BC.

Bust of Hermes right, wearing petasos / Forepart of goat right; ΑΙΓΑΕΩΝ below, monograms above and to right.

SNG Copenhagen 14.

2.4g, 12 mm.

Next: Goat.

• Like 8

1782052_1616695661.l.jpg.c8e45597f43b7449fb16a0aabd8459a3.jpg

Fonteius. Mn. Fonteius C.F. Denarius. 85 BC. Auxiliary mint of Rome. (Ffc-717). (Craw-353/1a). (Cal-589). Anv.: Laureate head of Vejovis right, mongram (of ROMA?), below chin, thunderbolt below head. MN. FONTEI. C.F. (MN y NTE interlace), behind. Rev.: Infant winged Genius seated on goat right, caps of the Dioscuri above, thyrsus below, all within laurel-wreath. Ag. 3,68 g. Centered struck. Almost VF. Purchased from Tauler & Fau 4/2021

The moneyer is perhaps the brother of the moneyer M. Fonteius (see Crawford 347) and not inconceivably the tribune featured on the reverse of Crawford 429/1 (see the coin of P. Fonteius P.f. Capito below).The reverse recalls that the god Jupiter was suckled by the she-goat Amaltheia on Mt. Ida during his infancy, and depicts a statue that was within the Temple of Vejovis in Rome

Next: Dioscuri caps

• Like 8

image.jpeg.034c9234eb2f7d2bd1599d23d703a209.jpeg

Ancient Greek (Hellenistic). Baktria. Euktratides I AR Obol (10.5 mm, 0.66 g, 12 h), struck c. 169-159 BCE.
Obv: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Eukratides I right, wearing crested Boeotian helmet adorned with bull's horn and ear.
Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΕΥΚΡΑΤΙΔΟΥ. Two pilei with stars, palms to right of each; monogram below.
Ref: SNG Cop 275; Sear 7578; Bopearachchi 9C; ANS-BIGR: 
https://numismatics.org/bigr/id/bigr.eucratides_i.9
Prov: Ex Colección A.M. de Guadán (1912-1993), No. 2696; Jesus Vico Subasta 160 (14 Dec 2021), Lot 317 

Next: Small Ancient Silver Coin

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AncientOne said:

Silly hat.

ly.jpg.c842788eef722ff228adc079f77a41ba.jpg

Thrace, Lysimachia. AE10. Hermes with petasos.

Obv: Hermes bust with petasos.
Rev: LU / SI in a wreath.
SNG Cop. 922. Lindgren I, 39, 875
Rare.

Next: Hermes bust.

Eastern European communists used to wear those silly hats back in the day. They were almost like a distinctive adherence to the Party lol.

• Big Smile 1

Small ancient silver

Histiaia. Tetrobol circa III-II century BC, Euboia. AR 10.5mm, 1.55 g.
Wreathed head of nymph Histiaia.
Rev. IΣT – AIEΩN Nymph seated r. on galley; below, trident. BCD Euboia 387.

4827075_1699545264.jpg.4c7f6fbebf740f5de6cec7eac0209773.jpg

NEXT: another small Greek silver coin

• Like 6

Hi All,image.png.623fb5ad7f0d9a82f1e095553174f627.png

Obv: Ptolemy I head facing right, wearing diadem. Plain border.
Rev: Εagle on thunderbolt facing left, wings spread. In left field: four-letter legend YHDH in Aramaic script. Plain border.
Refs: Gitler & Lorber, Group 7, #16 [129 listed]; TJC 32.

From Lorber CPE-I: "Ths issue of silver fractions of Judah reflect the introduction of Ptolemy's portrait to the silver coinage Alexandria. H Gitler & C Lorber (2006) proposed a relative chronology based on die axes, relying on the hypothesis that the Jerusalem mint progressed gradually from loose dies to fixed dies. According to their classification, CPE 254, with the legend YHDH, represents the latest coinage because its die axes are overwhelmingly vertical. A die study by J-P Fontanille found obverse links between Ptolemy/eagle quarter obols with the legend forms YHD and YHDH which suggests that the latter may have appeared earlier than assumed by Gitler & Lorber. Alternatively, CPE 252 may have been revived for a time under Ptolemy II."

Next: A coin of Jerusalem

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
  • Like 6

Have not shown this one in a while. 

Roman Asia Minor. Ionia, Uncertain mint (Ephesus?). Claudius, AD 41-54. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm (21mm, 10.77g, 6h). Uncertain mint in Asia, Group I, struck circa AD 41-42. Obv: TI CLAVD CAES•AVG; Bare head of Claudius to left. Rev: DIAN-EPHE; Tetrastyle temple on podium of four steps, enclosing cult statue of Diana of Ephesus with polos on head and fillets hanging from wrists; pediment decorated with two figures flanking large disk set on central table, and two tables and recumbent figures in angles. Ref: BMC 229; RSC 30; RIC I 118; RPC I 2222. Beautifully toned and with an enchanting portrait. Minor flan faults on the obverse, otherwise, Good Very Fine. Ex Münzen und Medallien AG Basel 500 (Jun 1987), Lot 34. From the J. M. A. L. Collection, formed between 1970 and 2000, Chaponnière & Firmenich 13 (16 May 2021), Lot 279 (with collector's ticket). Ex Leu Numismatik (18 Jul 2022), Lot 2368. Leu Auction Note: The Ephesian Temple of Diana, better known as the Artemision, was one of the largest Greek temples ever to be built. It was reconstructed in the 4th and 3rd centuries BC after having been burnt down by Herostratos in 356 and was considered by Antipatros of Sidon to be the crown of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Great festivities and processions surrounded the cult of Artemis Ephesia, attracting large crowds of visitors and pilgrims from all over the Graeco-Roman world. The famous passage in the Acts of the Apostles, in which the silversmith Demetrius, feeling threatened by Paul's sermons against the worship of devotional objects, gives a speech against the apostle, is evidence of the popularity of the cult and its great economic importance to the local community: 'You know, my friends, that we receive a good income from this business. And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that gods made by human hands are no gods at all. There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited; and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty.' (Acts 19,25-27). Paul was saved from the raging Ephesian mob by a friend, but the Artemision was burned down some two hundred years later by Gothic raiders and abandoned in late Antiquity. Most of the columns and stones were used as spolia in late Roman and early Byzantine churches such as the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. The site of the Artemision today is basically a large swampy hole in the ground, dug up by its excavators in the 19th century, which has since become overgrown with grass. To modern visitors, little recalls the original monumentality and beauty of the sanctuary as we know it from historiographical descriptions and artistic renderings, such as that on our coin.

image.jpeg.1fa0466975ed5a7e4092571d4d1abeaa.jpeg

Next: Claudius.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 5

32 minutes ago, Edessa said:

Roman Asia Minor. Ionia, Uncertain mint (Ephesus?). Claudius, AD 41-54. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm (21mm, 10.77g, 6h). Uncertain mint in Asia, Group I, struck circa AD 41-42. Obv: TI CLAVD CAES•AVG; Bare head of Claudius to left. Rev: DIAN-EPHE; Tetrastyle temple on podium of four steps, enclosing cult statue of Diana of Ephesus with polos on head and fillets hanging from wrists; pediment decorated with two figures flanking large disk set on central table, and two tables and recumbent figures in angles. Ref: BMC 229; RSC 30; RIC I 118; RPC I 2222. Beautifully toned and with an enchanting portrait. Minor flan faults on the obverse, otherwise, Good Very Fine. Ex Münzen und Medallien AG Basel 500 (Jun 1987), Lot 34. From the J. M. A. L. Collection, formed between 1970 and 2000, Chaponnière & Firmenich 13 (16 May 2021), Lot 279 (with collector's ticket). Ex Leu Numismatik (18 Jul 2022), Lot 2368. Leu Auction Note: The Ephesian Temple of Diana, better known as the Artemision, was one of the largest Greek temples ever to be built. It was reconstructed in the 4th and 3rd centuries BC after having been burnt down by Herostratos in 356 and was considered by Antipatros of Sidon to be the crown of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Great festivities and processions surrounded the cult of Artemis Ephesia, attracting large crowds of visitors and pilgrims from all over the Graeco-Roman world. The famous passage in the Acts of the Apostles, in which the silversmith Demetrius, feeling threatened by Paul's sermons against the worship of devotional objects, gives a speech against the apostle, is evidence of the popularity of the cult and its great economic importance to the local community: 'You know, my friends, that we receive a good income from this business. And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that gods made by human hands are no gods at all. There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited; and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty.' (Acts 19,25-27). Paul was saved from the raging Ephesian mob by a friend, but the Artemision was burned down some two hundred years later by Gothic raiders and abandoned in late Antiquity. Most of the columns and stones were used as spolia in late Roman and early Byzantine churches such as the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. The site of the Artemision today is basically a large swampy hole in the ground, dug up by its excavators in the 19th century, which has since become overgrown with grass. To modern visitors, little recalls the original monumentality and beauty of the sanctuary as we know it from historiographical descriptions and artistic renderings, such as that on our coin.

Fantastic, has been on my “Buy list “ for over 3 years now, where did u get it?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Edessa said:

Incredible coin!
My specimen is a bit more modest.

image.png.f2ab7e28d08c286f93e93cd96899ef7a.png

CLAUDIUS (41-54). Cistophorus. Ephesus. Countermarked in the early reign of Vespasianus in Ephesos with "IMP VES AVC".
Obv: TI CLAVD CAES AVG.
Rev: DIAN - EPHE. Tetrastyle temple, containing facing statue of Diana of Ephesus, with supports.
RIC² 118; RPC I 2222.

Next: More Claudius please

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

1 minute ago, Ryro said:

Next: a Left facing portrait

image.png.5c728ee744bc38cfbb294c61c55875dc.png

Nero Claudius Germanicus and Divus Augustus, under Tiberius or Caligula.
Drachm, 33/34 AD or 37/38 AD, Caesarea-Eusebia, Cappadocia. 18mm, 3.68g.
RPC I. 3623D, RIC I (second edition) Gaius/Caligula 62
Obv: GERMANICVS CAES TI AVG F COS II IMP, for Germanicus Caesar Tiberii Augusti Filius Consul Secundum Imperator (Germanicus Caesar, son of Augustus Tiberius, Consul for the second time, Imperator). Bearded head of Germanicus, right. 
RevDIVVS AVGVSTVS. Radiate head of Augustus, left.

Next: A provincial coin that you would give the 'fine style' attribute to if you were working for NGC

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 4

1 hour ago, El Cazador said:

Fantastic, has been on my “Buy list “ for over 3 years now, where did u get it?

Leu, last summer. Ex Leu Numismatik (18 Jul 2022), Lot 2368. Sort of a present to myself (aren't they all?).

• Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

I'm never quite sure what qualifies as "fine style," and certainly have no idea what NGC thinks about anything, but this one is nicely engraved for a coin from Roman Alexandria:

Hadrian, Billon Tetradrachm, Year 19 (134/135 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate head left; around from 2:00, ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙϹ ΤΡΑΙΑΝ - ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ [translation into Latin: Imperator Caesar Traianus Hadrianus Augustus] / Rev. Draped bust of Serapis right, crowned with modius adorned with leaves (appearing as dots), wearing taenia and himation; around, L ƐΝ – ΝƐΑΚ•Δ [Year 19, spelled out]. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. III 5943 (2015); RPC III Online 5943 at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/5943; Emmett 889.19 [Emmett, Keith, Alexandrian Coins (Lodi, WI, 2001)]; BMC 16 Alexandria 610 at p. 73 [Poole, Reginald Stuart, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 16, Alexandria (London, 1892)] [ill. RPC III Online 5943, Specimen 3 (primary illustration of type)] [same rev. leg.]; Milne 1100 at p. 28 [Milne, J.G., Catalogue of Alexandrian Coins in Ashmolean Museum (Oxford 1933, reprint with supplement by Colin M. Kraay, 1971)] [ill. RPC III Online 5943, Specimen 27] [same rev. leg.]; K&G 32.362 [Kampmann, Ursula & Ganschow, Thomas, Die Münzen der römischen Münzstätte Alexandria  (2008)] [ill. p. 146, rev. leg. var.]; SNG France 4, Alexandrie II 1903 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, France Vol. 4, Alexandrie II, Hadrien – Antonin le Pieux – Nomes (Zurich 2018)] [rev. leg. var.]; Dattari (1901 ed.) 1465 at p. 94 [ill. Pl. XXII; rev. leg. var.] [Dattari, Giovanni, Monete imperiali greche, Numi Augg. Alexandrini, Catalogo della collezione (Cairo 1901)]. 24.5 mm., 13.50 g., 12 h. Purchased from Classical Numismatic Group, LLC [CNG] Electronic Auction 524, 28 Sep 2022, Lot 390.

image.jpeg.89014ed6bd914c1b2816ed8c86eb8fc5.jpeg

Next, a Roman Provincial coin of Hadrian not from Roman Alexandria.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 4

image.png.86c70b4d50e10333a6ebf7264eca83c7.png

19 mm, 3,22 g.
Lydia, Nakrasa. Hadrian 117-138. Ӕ.
ΑΥΤΟ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟϹ ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟϹ, laureate and cuirassed bust of Hadrian, r. / ΝΑΚΡΑϹΙΤΩΝ, Tyche standing l., wearing kalathos, holding rudder in r. hand, cornucopia in l.
RPC III, 1805; BMC 17–18.

Next - Lydia

• Like 7