"another FEL TEMP barbarian and hut"

=> Here are 2 of my ol' hut-coins ... 

Constans. Æ Centenionalis

Nicomedia mint, 2nd officina. Struck AD 348-350

AD 337-350

Diameter: 20.5 mm

Weight: 2.84 grams

Obverse: Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust left, holding globe

Reverse: Soldier advancing right, head left, holding spear and leading boy away from hut; SMNB

Reference: RIC VIII 70; LRBC 2291

Other: 12h … VF, brown, porous surfaces

=> Dramatic double strike on reverse

Ex-stevex6

Constans Double Strike Reverse.jpg

Constans AE3

Date: 337-350 AD

Diameter: 19.6 mm

Weight: 4.7 grams

Obverse: D N CONSTANS P F AVG - Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Constans, holding globe

Reverse: FEL TEMP REPARATIO - Soldier, holding spear, leading barbarian from hut under tree

Reference: RIC 103 (Aquileia?)

Other: Doug Smith figures it is RIC 92 (Constantinople) … so does victor

Ex-stevex6 

Constans Hut coin.JPG

NEXT => a Rooster

Edited by Steve
  • Like 13

normal_G_403.jpg.325e18a5162d7ef3e38840e0a6d7bd26.jpg

Pisidia, Antioch
'Pseudo-autonomous': Reign of Antoninus Pius.
Obv.: ANTIOCHI ; head of Mên wearing Phrygian cap, r., on crescent
Rev.: COLONIAE, Rooster standing right.
AE, 12mm, 1.35g
Ref.: Krzyżanowska 141, IX.11, RPC IV.3 №: 7352 (temporary)

Next: Pisidia

• Like 13
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

"Pisidia"

Ummm, sorry for hogging the thread, but I couldn't resist jumping back in ...

=> Pisidia

Pisidia, Selge AR Stater

325-250 BC

Diameter: 24.1 mm

Weight: 9.43 grams

Obverse: Two wrestlers grappling, K between

Reverse: Slinger; triskels above, club and cornucopia right

Reference:

Other: Obverse die slightly corroded, dark toning

Ex-stevex6

Pisidia Selge Stater Black.JPG

Pisidia Selge Stater Pink Hand.jpg

NEXT => how 'bout some Elephants!!

Sidenote: eh-heh-heh, maybe it's a bit too late to be asking now, but when it's my turn to pick the "next-coin", I pick whatever comes to mind ... but am I supposed to pick something that was similar to the coin that I just posted, or can I post whatever I want?? (hopefully I haven't been playing incorrectly during these past 77 pages of this cool thread??)

Hi

Edited by Steve
  • Like 11
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Smile 1

image.png.462b9188ad497da6e33c99fc76a79bd1.png

Seleukid Kingdom. Sardeis. Antiochos III Megas 223-187 BC.  Bronze Æ 12 mm., 1,96 g.
Obv - Laureate head of Apollo right, with spiral curls
Rev - Legend: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY (vertical left and right), monogram   above elephant
Type: Elephant standing left

Next - another 4 legged animal

51 minutes ago, Steve said:

Sidenote: eh-heh-heh, maybe it's a bit too late to be asking now, but when it's my turn to pick the "next-coin", I pick whatever comes to mind ... but am I supposed to pick something that was similar to the coin that I just posted, or can I post whatever I want?? (hopefully I haven't been playing incorrectly during these past 77 pages of this cool thread??)

No, I think it's OK. I like to use a similar theme for a next coin and I think it's better this way, to have some kind of continuity, but I don't think this was a rule.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve said:

It's not a formal rule here, but the idea is to have some continuity between the coins, like a never-ending game of Crazy 8s.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

• Benefactor

"another coin from any fourth century"

=> Thrace Abdera 

Thrace, Abdera: AE16

ca. 400-350 BC

Diameter: 16.2 mm

Weight: 3.40 grams

Obverse: Griffin seated right on club; caduceus right above; ]IΛIΣ[ below; EP before 

Reverse: Head of Apollo right in linear square, ABΔ-HPI-TE-ΩN surrounding. 

Reference: BMC Thrace p75, 84 (see note below); AMNG II 227 (see note below); cf. SNG Copenhagen 374

Other: cool

Ex-stevex6

Thrace Abdera Gryphon.jpg

NEXT => Ummm, bring-on another Gryphon (Griffin) ... winner, right?

Cheers

Edited by Steve
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

Lucania. Metapontum, circa 330-290 BC. AR Nomos (22mm, 7.76g, 2h). Obv: Wreathed head of Demeter right, wearing triple-pendant earring and necklace; [EY] below chin. Rev: META, ear of barley with seven grains, leaf to right; star above leaf, LU lower left. Ref: Johnston Class C, 8.7 (same dies); SNG ANS 418 (same obverse die); HN Italy 1592. Very Fine lightly toned, nice metal. Ex VAuctions 226 (30 Apr 2009), Lot 3.

image.jpeg.b64c81ab8232033669ee91249d05f584.jpeg

Next: More Metapontum.

• Like 12
  • Cry 1

Sorry Edessa, but I think Steves griffin was first.

Kilikia_01.jpg.df7069108bb1c616f40e85f7653ab9a7.jpg

Kilikia
Uncertain Persian King
AR Obol, 400-350 BC
Obv.: Head of female facing slightly left
Rev: King with bow and quiver, stabbing griffin on hind legs with knife
AR, 0.63g, 10,3mm
Ref.: Göktürk 38
Same dies as CNG 70, Lot 362

Next: Persia or Metapontum

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 14

A somewhat grubby siglos.

Picture1.png.5027c17c156f21edc610a25b1d495c82.png

Persia, Achaemenid Empire.

Time of Darios I to Xerxes II, circa 485-420 BC.

AR Siglos, Sardes.

Persian king kneeling-running right, holding spear and bow, quiver over shoulder / Incuse punch.

ATEC 1945-1960; Carradice16-31.

5.65g, 15mm.

NEXT: A non-Persian incuse punch.

• Like 13

Here's a non-Persian incuse punch (took me a minute to find one) -- a Lesbian incuse punch:

Lesbos-Rosen-548.jpg 

(Photo credit: CNG.)
Lesbos, Koinon BI 1/48 Stater (5.5mm, 0.26g), c. 525-513 BCE.
Obv: Two eyes (or possibly two grains or shields?).
Rev: Quadratum incusum.
Ref: Waggoner-Rosen 548 (this coin illustrated).
Collection Hist.Jonathan P. Rosen [NFA Winter 1987 MBS (18 Dec 1987), 579 (part, not ill.), desc. by Lorber as “Probably a small hoard”]; William B. Porter [CNG EA 494 (23 Jun 2021), 196]. Institutional Hist.: J. Paul Getty Museum, housed c. 1983-1987, among 773 coins cataloged by Waggoner (below), 100 exhibited and 50 cataloged in Archaic Coins: An Exhibition at the J. Paul Getty Museum from the Collection of Jonathan Rosen (1983, Malibu: Getty). Publication: Waggoner-Rosen 548 in Nancy Waggoner, Early Greek Coins from the Jonathan P. Rosen Collection [ACNAC 5] (1983, NYC: ANS), p. 35 & pl. 20 (this coin illustrated); referenced in: Peter van Alfen & Jay M. Galst, Ophthalmologia Optica & Visio in Nummis (2018, NYC: ANS) p. 546 (this coin cited).

Also raises the interesting question (and important transitional phase in numismatic history), when does it stop being an incuse punch?
What about this archaic Hekte with a foursquare quadratum incusum (formerly Ionian, Erythrai, now reattributed to Bithynia, Herakleia) or the weird like Chicken Tetertera (and/or a Hemitetarteron) from Troas, Dardanos with the reverse punch in the form of a calf's head?
When do we think of it as a reverse die rather than "just" a punch?

image.jpeg.e0e8f3a58803477ca7d4d13ecf47e9d4.jpegimage.jpeg.e046466c76506e6153dd9ce0de12c4db.jpeg

NEXT: ARCHAIC FRACTION
(any metal)

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 13

Try and try again...

Lycaonia. Laranda, circa 324-323. AR Obol (10mm, 0.53g, 12h). Obv: Facing head of Herakles with club over shoulder, 'H' to left. Rev: Wolf forepart right, star above. Ref: Gokturk, “Small Coins from Cilicia and Surroundings,” in Mecanismes et innovations monetaires dans l'Anatolie achemenide" pg. 149, 68-69. Very Fine, nicely toned.

image.jpeg.2f66997e064cead12a48c6b983146f97.jpeg

Next: Another fraction of any kind.

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

Do I get double points for two shields?

1229485487_Phil(155).JPG.6d01661be1d6143e6edb7f28d04cbf67.JPG

Next: Trophy and captives in silver.

Not just double -- you get quadruple points squared and squared again for one of the coolest coins in the entire 400-year series of Roman captives" trophy tableau" coins, which started a few years earlier with Julius Caesar's (part of what makes the Brutus so cool is that is copied the JC original!) and continuing through the sons of Constantine! (You could say the Fundanius and Cloelius Quinarii were the first, but Julius Caesar and Brutus were the first to show the TWO captives which became iconic.)

CONSERVATORI-Julius-Caesar-Captives-Dena

Julius Caesar AR Denarius, 46 BCE, military mint. Captured Gallic captives (Vercingetorix [?] and Gallia).

NEXT: A LATER COIN IN THE "TROPHY CAPTIVES" TRADITION

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
12 minutes ago, Curtis JJ said:

Not just double -- you get quadruple points squared and squared again for one of the coolest coins in the entire 400-year series of Roman captives" trophy tableau" coins, which started a few years earlier with Julius Caesar's (part of what makes the Brutus so cool is that is copied the JC original!) and continuing through the sons of Constantine! 

One of the things that intrigues me about this obverse die of this Brutus type is that its engraver unmistakably also engraved the obverses of certain Lycian League hemidrachms.

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 2
  • Mind blown 1

That Judaea Capta Den. is wonderful! Really interesting style, both sides.

26 minutes ago, Octavius said:

next, Judean coin...

One of the first...

image.jpeg.4e32f0c00b017a6014b25006f84978ba.jpeg

Judaea under the Seleukids, Hasmonean Dynasty. John Hyrkanos I (Yehohanan) Æ Prutah (16mm, 3.11 g, 1h). Struck in the name of Seleukid King Antiochos VII Jerusalem mint, 132/1 BCE (Dated SE 181).
Obverse: Lily on stem with two leaves; border of dots.
Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EYEPΓETOY. Upright anchor; below: dated AΠP.
Reference: Meshorer TJC pp. 30-31; Hendin GBC (5) 1131 & GBC (6) 6165a; SC 2123.2; HGC 9, 1103; DCA 209.
Provenance: Jay Galst (1950-2020) Collection, CNG EA 510 (23 Feb 2022), Lot  261; acq. from Herb Kreindler, 1988.

Notes: With Jay Galst's collection tag labeled “ANA 8” on reverse in green ink. Possibly from an ANA exhibit of Judaean coins? In 2002 he received an award for his ANA exhibit, "The Many Names of Jerusalem as Depicted on Ancient Coins." Could this coin have been part of it?

Next: Judaean Coin struck AFTER 132/131 BCE...

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

You didn't say WHICH Tiberius, @Ryro!!

[IMG]
Tiberius II Constantine AD 574-582 and Anastasia.
Byzantine Æ half-follis, 5.02 g, 20.4 mm, 7 h.
Thessalonica, AD 579.
Obv: dmTibCONS TANTPPAV, Nimbate Tiberius and Anastasia seated facing on double throne; he holds globus cruciger, she a scepter.
Rev: Large K; above, cross; to left, A/N/N/O; to right, regnal indicator V (=5); beneath, TЄS.
Refs: Berk 398; DOC 23; SB 439; MIBE 65.

Next: Byzantine with a big K (half follis).
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Tin

fr_token_026.jpg.3c193e5fcbe2009c33b18ac1afd48d9f.jpg

Beer token

Ludwig Ganter 

Obv: BIERBRAUEREI Lud. Ganter IN FREIBURG (Brewery Lud. Ganter in Freiburg)
Rev: Glass, GUT FÜR EINEN SCHOPPEN BIER, (Good for a  Pint of Beer), star

Year: 1865-1886
Tin, 20.5mm

Next: Beer token 

EDIT: Now 3 hours. Forget the beer. Next now:  token.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 11