I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

When did Vespasian become emperor? Summer of '69 😎

image.png.ca0419dfc4cb77db63702d9f040b4b3e.png

Vespasian, 69 - 79 AD. Denarius, Rome mint.
Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right
Rev: IVDAEA in exergue, Trophy; to right, Judaea seated right in attitude of mourning, head resting in hand.
RIC 2. Ex Frank S. Robinson auction 122.

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

One can't say "The Gordian Knot Untied" isn't an old tune!

Gordian III has nothing to do with the legend of the Gordian knot (named after the city of Gordium), of course, but it works. I've had this Gordian antoninianus for ages.

GordianIIIVIRTVTIAVGVSTIAntoninianus.jpg.3b18d898aaa77a05697e0d5d720447a1.jpg
Gordian III 238-244 CE.
Roman AR Antoninianus; 5.52 g, 23.2 mm, 2 h.
Rome mint, 4th officina. 8th-11th emissions, 240-early 243 CE.
Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate and draped bust, right.
Rev: VIRTVTI AVGVSTI, Hercules standing right, right hand on hip, left holding lion's skin and resting on club set on rock.
Refs: RIC 95; Cohen 404; RCV 8670; Hunter 71.

Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Seleukid Kingdom, Reign of Antiochos IV (Epiphanes)

175-173/2 BC
AE16 (16mm, 3.55g)
O: Veiled bust of Laodike IV, within dotted border.
R: Elephant's head left, tripod behind; BAΣIΛEΩΣ - ANTIOXOY above and below, [ΘE]K ex.
Antioch mint
Sear 1691v
ex Marc Breitsprecher Numismatics

~ Peter 

cAr5wi6Y2ZmKnyH9Bo7s8BxWLN4bkQ~2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1

image.jpeg.073b818428c34863a4955838d66f1aa2.jpeg

Hadrian, 117 - 138 AD. Denarius ø 17mm (3.24g). Ca. 130 - 133 AD, Rome.
Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, Laureate head right
Rev: AFRICA, Africa with elephant headdress reclining left, holding scorpion and cornucopia, basket of grain at feet. RIC 1494; C. vgl. 137-141; BMC 816; Strack 297; BN 4640. Ex Gorny&Mosch e-auction 299.

After some consideration I decided against Toto's Africa and for Elton John. The elephant headdress just reminds me of Lion King. What a trauma this movie was when I was in Kindergarten... 

• Like 6
  • Cool Think 1

3-1/2 weeks since my heart attack and I have yet another doctor's appointment today.

Off to the Asklepeion!

SeverusTomisAsklepios.jpg.2c475822abe9091006d8ad669629fe3c.jpg
Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
Roman provincial diassarion, AE 21.2 mm, 6.30 g, 7 h.
Moesia Inferior, Tomis.
Obv: ΑY Κ Λ CΕ CΕΥΗΡΟC Π, laureate head, right.
Rev: ΜΗΤΡ ΠΟΝ ΤΟΜЄΩC, Asklepios standing facing, head left, holding serpent-entwined staff and with left hand on hip, B in left field.
Refs: AMNG 2781-85 var.; BMC 3.56,18 var.; Varbanov 4826 var.; Sear 2125 var.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Enna, Sicily

450-440 BC
AR Litra (13mm, 0.69g)
O: Demeter driving slow biga right, holding grain ears.
R: Demeter standing facing, holding torch over altar to left; [HE]NNAI[ON] to right. 
HGC 2, 391; Sear 777
Very scarce
ex Aegean Numismatics

Enna, known in antiquity as ‘The Navel of Sicily’, was located in the geographic center of Sicily on a high plateau which served as a natural fortress. It is said that one could see all three Sicilian coasts from the city’s heights.
Perhaps more important than its strategic location however was Enna’s religious significance, for it was here that Persephone was abducted by Hades and here that the cult of Her mother Demeter thrived.

"In the interior [of Sicily] is Enna, where is the temple of Demeter, with only a few inhabitants; it is situated on a hill, and is wholly surrounded by broad plateaus that are tillable."

~ Strabo, Geography 6.2.6

Last night I saw Steve Hackett live at a beautiful art deco theater here in Salem. The former Genesis guitarist (from back when they were still great) celebrated the 50th(!) anniversary of the release of the epic album Foxtrot by playing the whole album. The show, which will probably be my last, was amazing! And the acoustics were so good that I would un-retire as a sound engineer if I could work in places like this.

~ Peter 

Enna_Litra.jpeg~2.jpg

image000000.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

A whole different Sicily: William I, 1154-1166.  Follaro of Messina; concave flan, imitating Byzantine trachys.

image.jpeg.51674e4d66522817e9f2d6803351ab85.jpeg

Andrea, Norman Sicily 338; MEC vol. 14, 286-9a.  Fun for including a Latin abbreviation in the obverse field ('REX .W.') with a (thank you, literate) Arabic border legend, followed by a reverse imitation of a Byzantine motif common among contemporary folles and trachea. 

...Involving some fun mixing and matching, between the denomination and the flan.  This sort of imitation is endemic to medievals of this period.  But I have to need the level of riffing that happened in the process.

And, to @Phil Anthos' point, here's a track from what I consider to have been Genesis' last Really Good, if not great album.  (Weird how Yes and Genesis both started to slide downhill from around '78.)  This appears to be the pre-remastered version, which still gives you the crucial four hits on the drum at the very beginning.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Jeandacre I agree. Things obviously changed when Peter Gabriel left, but the next two albums, culminating in this live album, were still excellent. But once Steve Hackett left they became just Phil Collins' back-up band, MTV product.

But sitting in the front row last night and listening to Supper's Ready live was a very magical experience (and I've been to literally hundreds of concerts). I got pretty emotional wishing my wife was there to see it with me. Everything is better shared.

~ Peter 

Edit; I'm actually in that audience  picture.  🙂

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 1
  • Mind blown 1

Thank you, @Phil Anthos, for your cogent observations!  And, Dang, just starting with the concerts you've been to, would you consider writing your memoirs?  That's what I said to a colleague at work, who grew up in LA and saw, What, Hendrix, Van Morrison, and, as I want to remember his accounts, Janis and the Dead.  All as of the late '60's, frequently in small clubs.  --He emphasized that last point. 

Only since you gave me the convenient precedent, here, sans another coin (...it would be another repost, anyway), this is from my favorite solo Peter Gabriel album ...with the caveat that I've never heard all of them.

• Like 2

A couple of cover versions - Fatima Mansions playing Stigmata by Ministry - turn up to 11 and hide behind the sofa 🙂

And My Bloody Valentine turning down the guitar feedback for We Have All The Time In The World...

This coin is something of a cover too, as it's an Eraviscan version of a Roman coin.

Region, Tribe: Pannonia, Eraviscans
Coin: Silver Denarius
- Laureate head of Jupiter right
RAVIS - Globe between sceptre (resembling thunderbolt) and rudder
Mint: Budapest
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.35g / 17mm / 9h
References:
  • Torbágyi C11 i
  • Freeman, Essays Hersh, pl. 29, 6
Acquisition: Numismatics Hungary Online sale 17-Dec-2018

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

EpirusAugustus3.jpg.c7c2a81bf0e33ddcb459e115dfd020b2.jpg

Achaea. Epirus, Nikopolis, AE18. Augustus Divus (under Hadrian) / Boar’s head prow

Obv: AVGOVCTO CKTICTHC, Head of Augustus r., bare.
Rev: NΕIΚΟΠΟ(Λ) ΕW(C), Boar’s head prow, r.
Oikonomidou Augustus 56-57

Nikopolis, Epirus was founded in 28 BC by Octavian in memory of his victory over Antony and Cleopatra at Actium.

• Like 6
  • Popcorn 1

@AncientOne, never thought I'd be doing popcorn for the Ramones, but thanks to you, I guess there always gets to be a first time.

(Edit:) @akeady, I don't do as much loud music as I used to (before, for instance, minor details like hearing loss), but you have my solemn word and bond that the esthetic registers.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4

I think Victory is saying this

CARACALLA AR Denarius. Victoria - VICT PART MAX.
Obverse: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right.
Reverse: VICT PART MAX. Victory advancing left, holding palm and wreath.
 A good example of this interesting coin, celebrating the roman victory over the Parthian empire during the reign of Septimius Severus.
RIC IV-1 144a. RSC 660. Rome mint, A.D. 204.  3,2 g - 18 mm.

Rz2o86oTj7LFwYe4p3ZXNq5ck9kP6J.jpg.a06d110139109c9de4f24c93308942bf.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/11/2023 at 5:50 AM, Roman Collector said:

And while we're talking about hearts, Here's some Janis!!!

MamaeaVENVSGENETRIXdenarius.jpg.e30bfde8c1a22ae891ad1c869d328d31.jpg
AR Γ. IVLIA MAMAEA AVG. Caput Iuliae Mamaeae. VENVS GENETRIX. Venus ſtolata ſtans, dextra pomum tenet, ſiniſtra haſta; ad pedibus puerulus.

@Roman Collector, Well, as RLS might say, 'Blow me down!'  The coin will be a repost, but it looks like I've never posted the tune.  Seriously resonating as a complement to Janis.  (After you posted this, I needed to find the studio verson on YouTube.  I like the vocal harmony from the guitarist and bassist.  ...Texas Hippie at its very finest.)

image.jpeg.9ab7cb041a538ccfc3d075f797df43db.jpeg

image.jpeg.d6ce7def9486cdbfad8599be7761c419.jpeg

Aksum, anon. c. later 5th c.  Munro-Hay 76.

Now some Shaka Khan.  (Edit: and Rufus.)  Chicago, c. '73; the video is nothing to write home about, but it's really about the music, anyway.  --Yeah, she has a wig.  And...?

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

Julia Domna AR Denarius. Rome, 215-7 AD. 19.8mm, 3.12gr.
IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, draped bust right / VENVS GENETRIX, Venus seated left, holding sceptre and apple, Cupid standing right, legs crossed, resting his right hand on her right knee. RIC IV-1 389b.  Rome mint. RSC 205; Sear 7099.

zWF47xpGXt8Cn34T9PkHMwj52oHbYm.jpg.e569e0d3a3cacc789d4906ea26abc6dd.jpg

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

12 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

@Roman Collector, Well, as RLS might say, 'Blow me down!'  The coin will be a repost, but it looks like I've never posted the tune.  Seriously resonating as a complement to Janis.  (After you posted this, I needed to find the studio verson on YouTube.  I like the vocal harmony from the guitarist and bassist.  ...Texas Hippie at its very finest.)

image.jpeg.9ab7cb041a538ccfc3d075f797df43db.jpeg

image.jpeg.d6ce7def9486cdbfad8599be7761c419.jpeg

Aksum, anon. c. later 5th c.  Munro-Hay 76.

Now some Shaka Khan.  (Edit: and Rufus.)  Chicago, c. '73; the video is nothing to write home about, but it's really about the music, anyway.  --Yeah, she has a wig.  And...?

I love that song by Chaka Khan and Rufus! But you haven't heart "Piece of My Heart" until you've heard Aretha's older sister.

[IMG]
Faustina Jr, Augusta AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 22.54 g, 29.3 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 170-175.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right, with Beckmann type 10 hairstyle.
Rev: VENVS FELIX, Venus seated left, holding statue of Victory (or Cupid) and scepter.
Refs: RIC 1686; BMCRE 957-58; Cohen 275; RCV 5287; MIR 35-6/10c; Hunter 79.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1