I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Besides Genesis and Peter Gabriel Solo - one of THE bands that I listened to over and over again when I was young. Much to my parents' chagrin. Still unforgettable - Aphrodites Child - a band at a time when rock concerts were still celebrated as musical art.

Unfortunately I don't have a directly matching coin with 4 (apocalyptic) horsemen. But Commodus in a quadriga with 4 horses. And to some contemporaries, Commodus may have seemed like a horseman of the apocalyptic.

Lucius Aurelius Commodus Caesar Augusti Filius
Reign: Marcus Aurelius; Mint: Rome; Date: 177 AD
Nominal: Sestertius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 33mm; Weight: 27.43g

Reference: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1564 var. (only laureate)
Reference: Banti 410 (“A. Hess 1933“)
Reference: MIR 382-16/30 (“Schulman, Amsterdam, Juni 1924, 862”, same picture as Banti/Hess)
OCRE Online: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.m_aur.1564
Schulmann Online #1: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k30434764/f70.item
Schulmann Online #2: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k30434764/f127.item
Provenance: Carthago Numismatics Ile de France, France
Rare: 2nd known example, Variation only laureate

Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right
Translation: Imperator, Caesar, Lucius Aurelius Commodus, Germanicus, Sarmaticus
Translation: Imperator, Caesar, Lucius Aurelius Commodus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Sarmatians

Reverse: Commodus, in quadriga, moving left, holding eagle-tipped sceptre in right hand
Translation: Tribunicia Potestate Secunda, Consul, Senatus Consultum
Translation: Holder of tribunician power for the second time, consul. Decree of the senate

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

Here's something that goes with the coin, sort-of 😄

Fatima Mansions and 13th Century Boy:

And... a 13th century coin.   I have a halfpenny, but can't locate it or even a photo' of it, so this penny will have to do.

Ruler: Edward I
Coin: Silver Penny
EDWR ANGL DNS hYB - Crowned bust in triangle, single pellet below bust; small lettering
CIVITAS DVBLINIE - Long cross, pellets in angles; large lettering
Mint: Dublin (ca 1279-1302)
Wt./Size/Axis: 1.10g / - / -
References:
  • Spink 6251
Acquisition/: budgies-beak eBay 2-Apr-2013

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 7

How about some good old rock and roll?

And an old coin. I've had this one for years.

MaximianPROVIDENTIADEORVMQVIESAVGGAntiochFollis.jpg.4d3428b47c510b4f3dc4c5a5a2adfaa1.jpg
Maximian, post-abdication, AD 305-306
Roman billon follis, 8.26 g, 25 mm, 1 h.
Antioch, AD 305-306.
Obv: D N MAXIMIANO FELICISSIMO SEN AVG, laureate bust, right, wearing consular robes and holding branch and mappa.
Rev: PROVIDENTIA DEORVM QVIES AVGG, Providentia standing right, extending right hand to Quies standing left, holding down-facing branch and resting on scepter; I in field between them, ANT: in exergue.
Refs: RIC 77b, Cohen 489, RCV 13414.

• Like 7

RIC VII, SISCIA [after 11], LICINIUS I, UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND
OBVERSE IMP[L]ICINIV[S]AVG [IMP LICINIVS AVG]; head r., laur. REVERSE IOVICON-SERVATORI [IOVI CONSERVATORI]; Jupiter stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on sceptre, Victory on globe in r. hand; eagle with wreath to l. B in right field. SIS in exergue.
NOT IN RIC UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND. Not attested for this issue. RIC lists only longer obv. legends: IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG and IMP LICINIVS P F AVG (p. 422). Coin should be listed after SISCIA 11
20.3mm, 2.53gr

20230322_160416(2)-side.jpg.3c8d505564b7c53ec2333d9c7f53c073.jpg

• Like 6

It's a mistake!

I hope you'll forgive me - but I just have to post my Trajan snapper here again - because I just had to think of Men at Work with "its a mistake" 🙂 ... goes so well with the legend error on the front with "TP P" instead of "TR P".

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus; Reign: Trajanus; Mint: Rome; Date: 107 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.12g; Reference: BMC 250; Reference: Cohen 571; Reference: Woytek 231b; Reference: RIC II Trajan 226; Pedigree: Dorotheum Auctionhouse since 1707 Vienna, Austria (Auction November 2023, Lot 40); Pedigree: Gerhard Herinek Numismatik Vienna, Austria (must before the year 1999, as the purchase price of ATS 1350 is stated in Austrian shillings); Obverse: Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped on left shoulder, right; Inscription: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TP[sic!] P COS V P P; Translation: Imperator Traiano Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae; Translation: Imperator, of Trajan, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation; Reverse: Trophy of two shield, two spears, and sword set on a stump; Inscription: S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI; Translation: Senatus Populusque Romanus Optimo Principi; Translation: The senate and the Roman people to the best of princes.

TrajanTrophy.png.fc71a21db1009df4b797c4cfb29bf25b.png

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

I laughed when I ran across this ditty-song from my childhood... it reminded me of a coin or two of mine:

"Look what they've done to my COIN, Ma !"

image.png.13a60aa88626735e66a9b1e99ec74eeb.png

RR  

Clodius Pulcher T Mallius

AR Den 111-110 BCE

ERROR Flipover Double-Strike

Roma  Triga

Cr 299-1b S 176

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 5
  • Big Smile 1

@expat, Johnny Nash's cover of 'Stir It Up' was absolutely The First reggae I ever heard.  I still like it as a complement to the Bob Marley and the Wailers version.  (When they were still a vocal trio, but suddenly on a major, UK label, and within one album of splitting up.  Not such a bad thing, since each of them went on to do memorable solo work.)  It might be a little redundant here --and I'm having trouble thinking of a coin-- but thanks to your inspiration, I'm about to find it on YouTube.

(Edit:) Had to WIki Johnny Nash.  Descent into nerddom rapidly ensues.  His cover of 'Stir It Up' preceded the Wailers' album version by around a year.  Not surprising, since his acquaintance with the band went back to his residence in Kingston from 1965.  The original Wailers single of the track is on the Tuff Gong 4-cd compilation of Marley, Songs of Freedom.  The killer about that compilation is that the tracks on the first two CDs are overwhelimingly Origin-all ska and rock-steady recordings from Kingston.  If you were like me, and had never heard any of this before, it would variously knock your head, and blow your socks off. 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3

My wife and I were planning a trip to Greece and Turkey in 2013, but it was not to be. However I have just signed us up for a much longer voyage next year. Our names will be engraved on a microchip that will be launched on a probe to Europa next December. It is expected to reach Jupiter's orbit by 2030. Together forever! 💜

Syracuse, Second Democracy

415-405 BC
AE Hemilitron (16mm, 4.59g)
O: Head of Arethusa left, hair in ampyx, wearing necklace and sphendone.
R: Quadripartite incuse, eight-rayed star within incuse at center.
HGC 2, 1481; Sear 1185; CNS II, 16; SNG ANS 398
ex Aegean Numismatics

~ Peter 

Arethusa_1_0.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 8

Happy birthday to Spanish guitarist and composer Francisco Tárrega, who was born on this day in 1852. While his wistful "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" is a staple of morning drive playlists on classical music radio stations, there was a brief moment in the 1990s when his "Gran Vals" (itself something of a homage to Chopin) became infamous as the Nokia ringtone.

Not sure what sort of coin would go with that one. I guess this one from Hispalis. It's an old coin -- in my collection for more than 20 years.

AugustusandLiviaHispalis.jpg.e3dbf913dabe66e16dccc80e6f1c6c7a.jpg
Augustus and Livia, issued under Tiberius, 14-29 CE.
Roman provincial Æ 31 mm, 21.48 g.
Spain, Hispalis, Colonia Romula, 14-29 CE.
Obv: PERM DIVI AVG COL ROM, radiate head of Augustus right; thunderbolt before, star above.
Rev: IVLIA AVGVSTA GENETRIX ORBIS, head of Livia, left; globe beneath, crescent above.
Refs: RPC-73; SGI-189; Heiss 393, 2; Cohen 169, 3; Alvarez-Burgos 1587; Lindgren II 69; SNG Tubingen 118; SNG Copenhagen 423.13.35.

• Like 5

The gender issues of Elagabalus are being discussed in another thread. So quite an opportunity to link these together.

Elagabalus AR Denarius, Rome 220-222 AD
IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate draped bust right / VICTORIA AVG, Victory flying left, open diadem in both hands, shields to both sides, star in right field. RSC 300. RIC 161. BMC 234. 2,8 g - 18,5 mm

qJr48RtMf9QSN42xk3zKZij5L7pC6G.jpg.1c726cc207a1308ef1730b4339e2bd79.jpg

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

The music posted here is eclectic AF.  Love it!

These guys are new but their songs could be from the 70's.

thessalonicaCaracalla.jpg.672f45a271c5bc5b6a8b1833b744418e.jpg

Macedonia, Thessalonica. Elagabalus Æ28.

Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: Nike advancing left, holding wreath and palm frond.
Novius Rufus, legatus consularis.

• Like 5
  • Yes 1

@seth77 and @AncientOne's brilliant posts succeeded in goading me into trolling YouTube for a live duet with Amy Winehouse and Ranking Roger of The (/English) Beat, at one of the big festivals in the UK.  Never found that; should have bookmarked it when I had the chance.  But maybe no one has posted any Linton Kwesi Johnson.

First, though, here's a link to a cherished copy of The London Chronicle ...in place of innumberable reposts of coins.  Since the dating still follows the Juian calendar, this is "really" from early 1667, instead of the year of the Plague and Fire ...but the diarist Pepys, for one, didn't know that yet!

image095.jpg

image097.jpg

And some of this guy, describing his and other people's adventures as economic refugees, but from the West Indian parts of the Commonwealth.  (Disclaimer: I proudly have a parliamentary majority of English descent.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

Yeah, it was what I liked to do and I was really lucky. In the 70s my girlfriend's father worked for Bill Graham so we got tickets to Winterland and The Cow Palace all the time, gratis. Then by the 80s I was working pretty regularly as a sound engineer in the Bay Area, so I made a lot of contacts and could usually get in free most places in SF. The bands racked up fast and I can say that I've seen almost every band I ever really wanted to except for Led Zeppelin, Radiohead and the Ramones. Yep, I've been lucky.

~ Peter 

• Like 2
  • Mind blown 1

Agree with above, seeing a band or artist live is the ultimate music experience. I was lucky, my father was one of the team resposible for electrical systems on the original "spaceship" for the stage lighting of the band Electric Light Orchestra.

image.jpeg.f9bd897fc2039449a43dd61a7f9a670c.jpeg

We had complimentary tickets in 1978 to see the opening of their tour that year. From then till around 1998 I must have attended 50 or more concerts.

This is what it looked like in 1978

images.jpg.bccc397d6df62517fbaf8155064178ab.jpg

• Like 2
  • Gasp 1

AR denarius (3,87 g. 17 mm.). Rome, 138 B.C. C Renius
Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet and 5 drop earring; behind, X designating value/
C•RENI below, ROMA in exergue, Juno Caprotina, holding crook, reins and scepter, driving biga of goats right.
Crawford 231/1; Sydenham 432; Renia 1.

20231019_104228__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.5c4da501fa4881bc7fe05e72c3e490d0.png

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Nichole Nordeman - River God

TRAIRPC3558.png.2dd11b4c0dcb6a4b0d26d25758a38cdb.png

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus; Reign: Trajanus, Roman Imperial; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Syria; Date: 114/115 AD; Nominal: Tetradrachm; Material: Silver; Diameter: 25.6mm; Weight: 13.82g; Reference: Wruck 174; Reference: Prieur 1502; Reference: RPC III 3558; Obverse: Laureate head of Trajan, right; above eagle standing right; club below head; Inscription: ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΚΑΙϹ ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟϹ ΑΡΙϹΤ ϹΕΒ ΓΕΡΜ ΔΑΚ; Translation: Autokrator Kaisaros Nervos Traianos Aristos Sebastos Germanicos Dacos; Translation: Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Optimus Augustus Germanicus Dacicus; Reverse: Tyche of Antioch seated on rocks, right, holding in her right hand two ears of wheat and poppy-head; at her feet, river god Orontes swimming right, looking left; Inscription: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞ ΙΘ ΥΠΑΤ Ϛ; Translation: Demarchos exousia Iota Theta, Hypatos to Stigma; Translation: Tribunicia potestate XIX consul VI; Translation: Invested with the Tribunician Power for the 19th time, Consul of the 6th time.
  • Like 5

Emerson, Lake and PALMer

ANTONIUS FELIX AE Prutah. Roman Procurator of Judaea under Claudius. AD 54.
Obverse: NЄP(Ѡ) KΛAY KAICAP. Two oblong shields crossed, two crossed spears behind.
Reverse: Palm tree with dot and star and with L ΙΔ in field under branches either side of tree; BPIT above, K AI either side of tree across bottom.
Issue struck in the name of Nero Claudius Caesar and Britannicus.

RPC-4971, Sofaer 59-61. Jerusalem mint, RY 14 = 54 AD. 2,49 g - 17 mm

5FbPYso3L4rR6PwqNjc2ay7WkJD98f.jpg.521e7d8f83d28cdcf8da1680d624b86d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Big Smile 1

Suddenly I'm wanting some more '70's progressive rock.  This is the only coin I have with a ship.  Yep, a repost.  It's from Speyer, well inland, but on the Rhine.  Maybe or maybe not an especially 'calming stream,' but a river, anyway.  (Heinrich III, Emperpr 1046-1056.  Replete with peck marks.)

image.jpeg.b60b7c79ef2bc5080b30aabb1750dadd.jpeg

image.jpeg.e6a459517692634f4b6f71a0ecec6b22.jpeg

And some Yes.

Edited by JeandAcre
Typo with the regnal dates.
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1