I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

This is the last day of Black Music month, so I thought it was time for another one.  Again emphasizing the eclecticism, only more emphatically on a global scale.  ...This also happens to coincide with the last Aksumite I've gotten, as of today.

image.jpeg.3d8214a85df74346e0ed31e97147c2dd.jpeg

Aksum /Axum.  Gersem, 522-38 (Hahn) / c. 600 (Edit: Munro-Hay --look, I've been sick); which was the last to issue coins is also disputed).  Billon unit. 

Obv. Gersem crowned, holding staff surmounted by a cross.

(In Ge'ez, having long since fully replaced Greek; unvowelled, typically of Afro-Semitic languages:) G'R [/] S'M. 

Rev. As above, but wearing headcloth.  N'G' [/] S.  (Negus;' King.)

Hahn Type147 (H 51); catalogue nos. 523-528.

Munro-Hay 147. 

Here's some Ethiopian Orthodox liturgical music for Easter, from Gondar.  The town wasn't founded until the 17th century, but it's within the borders of the original Aksumite kingdom.  No one's under any obligation to watch the whole thing, but I'm going to.  I have think the combination of influences, from various Middle Eastern 'High Church' traditions, to pretty emphatically African elements, is really cool. 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4