Anyone collect Russian roubles?

GregH

On 12/17/2022 at 4:46 AM, DonnaML said:

So a Novodel is an official restrike from a Russian mint? Sort of like Paris Mint restrikes? I imagine they have value on their own, but is there any definitive way of distinguishing them from the originals?

Novodels (Russian plural novodely) are restrikes that were produced for collectors. The term is short for "novel'naya moneta", which means newly made coin, i.e. restrike.

These restrikes were produced by the official mints from the late 18th to the late 19th century. The practice seized in 1890, but was resumed under Soviet rule. 

Under tsarist rule, novodels were often produced from the old official dies, making them nearly indistinguishable from "originals", i.e. from coins struck during the reign of the corresponding ruler. 

How are they distinguishable from "originals"? I think it is two factors that combine to suggest that a coin is a restrike: 1. the coin is very rare (such as 17th century gold coins) and the strike is particularly clear, centered and careful. 

In later times, new dies were cut to produce the restrikes. Sometimes small differences were included to make them distinguishable from the originals.

Novodels are sought after by collectors and for some types they are the only option available. However, where originals are available, novodels are of course much cheaper.

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...