RPC listed my coin as a new type

Factor

I was browsing RPC today and was pleasantly surprised to see that they listed one of my recent purchases as a separate type: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/30515

When I saw this coin at the auction, listed as unidentified, I was hoping nobody will spot it. It is a very rare (though not unique, I know at least 3 more specimens) coin of Caesarea Maritima struck under Severus Alexander. In general there are many hundreds, if not thousands Caesarea coins of Severus Alexander known, but almost all of them show eagle spreading wings and holding wreath with SPQR. All other reverse types are very to extremely rare, I have no idea why. Luckily nobody else paid attention to this coin and got it for about $25 shipped, pretty much free. Makes it bargain of the year for me 😉. I was bidding on another unique and misattributed provincial coin at the same auction, and the hummer was 3 times my 420 euro maximum, no such luck twice. 

Edited by Factor
  • Like 9
  • Clap 4

• Factor changed the title to RPC listed my coin as a new type