filolif

First proper "New Style" owl for me, have had my eye on them for awhile but wanted to wait for a nice one that wasn't too expensive. This one fit the bill, really pleased with it!

1205_athens_new_style_tetradrachm_resized-2550x1360.png

136 BC - 135 BC

Obverse: Head of Athena Parthenos right, wearing necklace, pendent earring, and triple-crested Attic helmet decorated with the protomes of four horses above the visor, a Pegasos in flight rightward above the raised earpiece, and a curvilinear ornament on the shell
Reverse: Owl standing right, head facing, on amphora; A-ӨE above HPA/API-ΣTOΦ/APIΣT/OK (Hera(kles), Aristoph-, and Aristok-, magistrates) in five lines across field; to left, club facing downward, draped in lion skin and set over bow in case; M on amphora, HP below; all within wreath
Reference: Thompson 339i

Edited by Kaleun96
  • Like 9
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

That's a fine New Style.  The first time that 3 magistrates feature on the reverse.

MINE;

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c136/5 BC

Obs: Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
16.81 g 31.5mm Thompson issue 29
Thompson catalogue: Obs 332: Rev c (not in plates)
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
on which month mark Δ control: ΗΡ below
3 magistrates : HRA ARISTOPH POLYM
LF symbol: Bow Club & Lionskin
All surrounded by an olive wreath

23_Bow-removebg-preview.png

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Those New Style's look great! Here's one of mine:

Attica, Athens, silver tetradrachm, (167-166 B.C. or 135-134 B.C. revised date), (16.51 g), obv. head of Athena Parthenos to right, wearing triple crested Athenian helmet, ornamented with Pegasos, dotted border, rev. owl standing right, head facing on prostrate amphora, to left a standing Asklepios with staff and snake, A QE across, on left side across ME, to right side across in five rows NED/EPI/GENO/NIKOG/SOFA on the amphora letter E, below amphora DI, all within olive wreath, (cf.S.2555, Thompson 351a [example in London Pl.35, from the same obverse die], HGC 4, 1602). Nearly extremely fine and very rare. Thompson reports 101 known tetradrachms featuring Asklepios, from 9 obverse and 63 reverse dies and only one example from this obverse die. There is a difference of 32 year less between Thompson and the suggested revised chronology. This would make this issue 135-4 B.C.  Asklepios (Asclepius) was the god of medicine in ancient Greek religion and mythology. He was also the patron god, and reputed ancestor, of the Asklepiades (Asclepiades), the ancient guild of doctors. Asklepios was the son of Apollo and the Trikkaian (Triccaean) princess Koronis (Coronis).

image.jpeg.e52b04c3b7788ce03ee006f9a077decf.jpeg

• Like 10

Here's my 🦉

Just a typical mass issue, but I couldn't be more happy with it (and it's a coin type I've wanted ever since I started collecting ancients). I ended up going for the best reverse I could get, not too fussed about the lack of much "crest", at least at my budget. Also, thanks very much to @filolif for some great advice in helping me pick an owl!

Screenshot2023-02-21at18_56_37.png.631edd944eddcee579fce9cc7ed48933.png

Attica, Athens AR Tetradrachm. Circa 454-404 BC. Head of Athena to right, wearing crested Attic helmet ornamented with three olive leaves above visor and spiral palmette on bowl, round earring with central boss, and pearl necklace / Owl standing to right with head facing, olive sprig and crescent behind, ΑΘΕ before; all within incuse square. Kroll 8; Dewing 1591-8; SNG Copenhagen 31; HGC 4, 1597. 17.14g, 25mm, 4h.

Near Extremely Fine.

Edited by AncientNumis
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

35 minutes ago, filolif said:

Those New Style's look great! Here's one of mine:

Attica, Athens, silver tetradrachm, (167-166 B.C. or 135-134 B.C. revised date), (16.51 g), obv. head of Athena Parthenos to right, wearing triple crested Athenian helmet, ornamented with Pegasos, dotted border, rev. owl standing right, head facing on prostrate amphora, to left a standing Asklepios with staff and snake, A QE across, on left side across ME, to right side across in five rows NED/EPI/GENO/NIKOG/SOFA on the amphora letter E, below amphora DI, all within olive wreath, (cf.S.2555, Thompson 351a [example in London Pl.35, from the same obverse die], HGC 4, 1602). Nearly extremely fine and very rare. Thompson reports 101 known tetradrachms featuring Asklepios, from 9 obverse and 63 reverse dies and only one example from this obverse die. There is a difference of 32 year less between Thompson and the suggested revised chronology. This would make this issue 135-4 B.C.  Asklepios (Asclepius) was the god of medicine in ancient Greek religion and mythology. He was also the patron god, and reputed ancestor, of the Asklepiades (Asclepiades), the ancient guild of doctors. Asklepios was the son of Apollo and the Trikkaian (Triccaean) princess Koronis (Coronis).

image.jpeg.e52b04c3b7788ce03ee006f9a077decf.jpeg

Such a lovely Athena portrait!

• Heart Eyes 1

23 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

First proper "New Style" owl for me, have had my eye on them for awhile but wanted to wait for a nice one that wasn't too expensive. This one fit the bill, really pleased with it!

1205_athens_new_style_tetradrachm_resized-2550x1360.png

136 BC - 135 BC

Obverse: Head of Athena Parthenos right, wearing necklace, pendent earring, and triple-crested Attic helmet decorated with the protomes of four horses above the visor, a Pegasos in flight rightward above the raised earpiece, and a curvilinear ornament on the shell
Reverse: Owl standing right, head facing, on amphora; A-ӨE above HPA/API-ΣTOΦ/APIΣT/OK (Hera(kles), Aristoph-, and Aristok-, magistrates) in five lines across field; to left, club facing downward, draped in lion skin and set over bow in case; M on amphora, HP below; all within wreath
Reference: Thompson 339i

Love it!

• Like 2