The Cob Corner

robinjojo

@robinjojo Interesting Seville piece of eight, and interesting history.

Here's my smallest cob. It has a maximum diameter of 19 mm, and a weight of 3.1 grams. These are the seller photos. The seller said, that it's a 1 reale cob. I did a little bit of research, and it seems to be a cob minted in Spain, perhaps Seville, minted sometime in the 16th century or 17th century. I don't know, if it was clipped legally at the mint, before or after it was struck, or clipped illegally later. One wonders, where the coin has been. Was the coin ever outside of Spain, before the seller acquired it? Was the coin in the New World? Was the coin on a pirate ship?

image.jpeg.48fd726cc8d700f97d2773b265d07a72.jpeg

Edited by sand
  • Like 2

• Benefactor

Yes, I'd say your coin is very likely from Seville.  There are collectors who concentrate on minors exclusively.  Some of these coins, especially colonial minors, often attract high bids in auctions, particularly if there's a pedigree, but that's true for other coins as well.

Your coin is really nicely centered on the reverse.  As to where it has been over the centuries, who knows?  That's half the fun collecting these coins. 

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 1