Need help identifying Achaemenid Siglos

CPK

I recently bought this little siglos as a gift for a friend. It looks a lot like my own siglos (which is a Carradice IIIa), but the dealer had it listed as Carradice type IIIb, which places it at a later date (475 - 425 B.C.)

I tried looking for myself but it seems the differences in the types can be extremely small, so I thought maybe I could get some of you more knowledgeable members to weigh in. 😉

The weight is 5.28g.

Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_20230406_213424.jpg.2dc56a58969d1a39e8ac68adb88a655c.jpg

• Like 7

Oh and I also discovered during my cursory research that there seems to be quite a range of dates given for type IIIb. 

What I am most interested in is finding out under which ruler(s) this coin was minted.

It seems the same type as mine. 

image.png.5432816ecb648f362fb6c86eae20d3f9.png

My attributon:

Persia, Achaemenid Empire. temp. Darios I to Xerxes II (ca 485-420 BC) AR Siglos, Sardes mint. 17 mm, 5,44 g.
Persian king or hero, wearing kidaris and kandys, quiver over shoulder, in kneeling-running stance right, holding spear and bow 
Rev: Incuse punch. 
Carradice Type IIIb, Group A/B (pl. XII, 17); Meadows, Administration 322; BMC Arabia pl. XXV, 17; Sunrise 25

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=siglos
I am no expert in these - I think you are t type IIIb (early) - based on page above.

What about the weight? According to that page,

"Type IIIa. Darius I - Xerxes I, c. 490/480 - 475 BC. c. 5.30 - 5.39 g.

Lighter weight standard, c. 5.30 - 5.39 g, is the most important distinction from Type IIIb but it is difficult to determine intended weight with wear..."

My coin weighs in just under that at 5.28g, which seems spot on considering the wear. Does this indicate that it is more likely to be Type IIIa?

On 4/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, CPK said:

What about the weight? According to that page,

"Type IIIa. Darius I - Xerxes I, c. 490/480 - 475 BC. c. 5.30 - 5.39 g.

Lighter weight standard, c. 5.30 - 5.39 g, is the most important distinction from Type IIIb but it is difficult to determine intended weight with wear..."

My coin weighs in just under that at 5.28g, which seems spot on considering the wear. Does this indicate that it is more likely to be Type IIIa?

Expert opinion needed - beard and other descriptions didn’t match so I erred on side of wear.