Do you own any holed coins?

ComicMan

On 4/21/2023 at 8:33 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

As of tonight yes... I just got this seltzer of Marcus Aurelius at Bucephalus.
I found the reverse so interesting. I have to look first, what I got there at all exactly. 

Description of the auction house:

MARCUS AURELIUS, 161-180 AD. AE, sestertius. Rome.

That's a very interesting reverse and an attractive coin, despite its wear and tear. You may find another example here - it comes with a stiff price tag, but there's your information.

• Like 1

This is a very attractive coin in excellent condition (save for the usual striations), but it has a little hole, like a tache de beauté. 

A tenth-century wonder of islamic calligraphy, in my opinion.

6173Samanidsharpened.jpg.5297436c1baf7c712792309c5e2f0810.jpg

Samanid dynasty, AE fals. Abd al-Malik I b. Nuh + Ashath b. Muhammad. Mint Quba (Ferghana) 349 AH = 960 AD. Obv. Three concentric circles, the outer showing place and date, the second the Kalima.

In the centre, a cruciform monogram formed from 4 x the name Muhammad, the midpoint ringlet being the first M! Rev. 6 lines in stipple circle, surrounded with text. 26.5 mm, 3.16 gr. Zeno 69828. Album 1463. Quba or Quva is in the east of current Uzbekistan.

• Like 13

• Benefactor

Here's one of two Spanish colonial coins that I own that were holed somewhere along the line.  I'll photograph the other coin tomorrow.

This coin is very interesting.  It appears to have been struck in the normal manner but then flipped and struck again!  Why this happened is a mystery for me and it is the only example that I have. 

The coin does have a hole, and coming from Guatemala during this time that is quite normal.  The indigenous clothing lacked pockets, so the story goes that the coins were were holed to accommodate a string to hold them together.  It seems a plausible explanation.  It could be that there was a profit motive as well, since the silver removed through this process creating the hole could be quite a windfall for the individual perform the service if done enough times! 

Guatemala, 8 reales, Philip V, 1740 J.   Flip double struck and holed.  Date on both sides.

KM 6

22..88 grams

D-CameraGuatemala8realesPhilipV1740JKM622..88gramsflipdoublestruckholed4-30-23.jpg.d3a1426843fbf5c207f1563352efe6e6.jpg

• Like 10

I love holed coins - they are affordable.  And they might reduce fakery...

By which I mean the Azores crowned G.P countermark of 1887 has been extensively faked, but usually on suspiciously pristine host coins.  But maybe on a holed host coin there is some hope it is genuine?  Portugal 1809 400 reis with the crowned G.P countermark.  And a giant hole.  Maybe the real deal?  

AzoresCM-CrownGP1809Port400reis(0a).jpg.304e2e6960ccfd7c1c298efe70f55cbc.jpg

• Like 10

[IMG]
China ANCIENT
Cowrie -
Shang Dynasty (1600 BCE - 1046 BCE)
BONE
2 holes for clothing or funeral bier
20mm
Hartill 1-2v Coole 51-66
Ex: Scott Semans CoinCoin

[IMG]
China
Shang Dynasty 1766-1154 BCE or Zhou Dynasty
Ghost Face Ant Nose
AE 1.65g
Hartill 1.4
Holed (filled with debris)

• Like 10

• Benefactor

r9.jpg.5f88774d3febb92e9c547b2d243b545e.jpg

This giant Justinian follis was not only pierced but it was silvered as well. 38.22 mm and 20.7gm

This came as part of a freebee, I bought a group lot from a dealer, and he surprised me with adding this oddity.  I wonder who wore it and how cool it must have looked when fully silvered. 

• Like 9

This arrived during the week.

Ruler: Caracalla (Augustus)
Coin: Gold Aureus
ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT - Head of Caracalla, laureate, right
P M TR P XV COS III P P IOV VIC - Jupiter, nude to waist, seated left, holding Victory in extended right hand and sceptre in left hand; at feet, left, eagle
Mint: Rome (212 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 7.46g / 20mm / 6h
References:
  • RIC 200
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online auction NN Live 80 #644 2-Apr-2023

spacer.png

• Like 13

My favorite holed coin is this Corinth issue with Bellerophon struck for the Peloponnesian War.

BB90C22E-E6D3-4D6D-B73C-80CB34393877.jpeg.f280dd1b14a95b7f99d1547e66709c0b.jpeg

Corinthia, Corinth
AR Trihemidrachm, struck 431 BC
Dia.: 14 mm, 6h
Wt.: 3.95 g
Obv.: Bellerophon, bareheaded and naked, riding on Pegasos flying to right; Koppa below.
Rev.: Chimaira to right on ground line; square incuse.
Ref.: HGC 4, 1850; Warren, J., “The Trihemidrachms of Corinth”, Plate 13-1
Ex VCV Collection 

• Like 12

12 hours ago, akeady said:

This arrived during the week.

Ruler: Caracalla (Augustus)
Coin: Gold Aureus
ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT - Head of Caracalla, laureate, right
P M TR P XV COS III P P IOV VIC - Jupiter, nude to waist, seated left, holding Victory in extended right hand and sceptre in left hand; at feet, left, eagle
Mint: Rome (212 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 7.46g / 20mm / 6h
References:
  • RIC 200
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online auction NN Live 80 #644 2-Apr-2023

spacer.png

Congrats on this aureus acquisition as I was one of the unsuccessful bidders on it.  I did just win the similarly holed Septimius Severus aureus from their auction last week but haven't received it yet.

I'm intrigued by the double piercing which is somewhat typical of Roman aurei found in India.  If one could only know the story of these well travelled coins!

• Like 3

I win with this triple hole Trajan, bought because I couldn't afford one without holes 😃

Trajan (98-117). Æ Sestertius (34mm, 23.54g, 6h). Rome, c. 107-111. Laureate bust r., slight drapery on l. shoulder. R/ Octastyle temple with portico on either side, seated figure within; Jupiter on pediment seated facing, seated figures on either side; Victories at corners, standing figure at point. RIC II 577. 

9fpWi2Eq3Ns2n7XYCw8e5DrPJ4aacc.jpg

• Like 11

I really like this coin, despite having a hole it is one of the best examples of this scarce type. 

Antoninus Pius, August 138 - 7 March 161 A.D., Philadelphia, Decapolis, Bronzespace2.gifAE 27, RPC IV online T6636 (9 spec.); Spijkerman 17; SNG ANS 1387; BMC Arabia, p. 39, 9 & pl. VI, 7; Rosenberger 18; Sofaer pl. 160, 20

philadelphia.jpg.1cb4f2780eb90578f0e9dd2b25890128.jpg

• Like 9