Posts that don't deserve their own thread, Thread.

Steppenfool

On 6/22/2023 at 1:22 PM, Curtisimo said:

Waiting years to mark a coin off my want list is pretty much the standard for me.

Me too. I make want lists on paper and date them. I have Roman imperial types I could afford on want lists from the 1990s but have not managed to buy. If I made a new want list today, there would be many additional types I want, but those older wants would still be on the list and I still look for them.

Edited by Valentinian
typo fixed
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Valentinian said:

It is just a mistake. I can testify that it is very hard to make a resource with very many entries all without any mistakes. Can you figure out how to report it to them?  I was always grateful when someone took the time to point out one of my mistakes. On-line resources are easy to fix.

Thank you for your confirmation. I will certainly try to report this mistake to them. I am always grateful to those who take the time to compile such a detailed resource for my benefit.

HD 😀

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, seth77 said:

Is this thread like for coins not worthy of their own thread but kinda ok or such posts should be relegated to another specific thread?

It seems like this is more of a conversing about whatever thread. 

@CPK's excellent thread is for coins that you want to share but not write up:

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 4:03 AM, Hughie Dwyer said:

That's great advice, thank you.

As a caveat, this comes mostly from medieval history, so consider the source.

Primary sources (well, the narrative kinds, in dramatic contrast to legal documents, where little details such as inheritance were directly at stake) contradict eachother as often as they don't.  I can't believe that the element of bias, maybe only more flagrant in medieval chronicles than in their Roman equivalents, is still pretty ubiquitous.

Which is when I really need the most responsible, academic secondary sources I can get my hands on.  Evaluating those is a necessary skill for the layman, even as the evaluation of primary sourcs (and their accumulation, in as many related but distinct media as possible) is what distinguishes the more reliable secondary ones.  

...But, yeah, whether or not it's an art, history will always be less than a science.  Informed speculation will always be integral to the process.  ...Usually In the absence of anything as easy as 'testable hypotheses.'  Archeological confirmation is likely the nearest equivalent, but in context, that's effectively the luck of the draw.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, Deinomenid said:

Here's one that doesn't deserve its own thread.  I wish auction houses would skip auction 30 if they insist on  using Roman numerals. I've been trying to  find some  background on a strange  Rindge coin  I  have that was sold at Malter XXX

I can't tell you the stuff I have to wade through that's - let's say - not coin-related. As I  live near a town  called Malta it's even worse.

I'm only nine months late noticing this, but I've got both Rindge catalogs (XXIX and XXX) & would be happy to check or send a scan if you still need it

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted · Supporter

I'm still kind of informally on the lookout for a really nice Trajan denarius, and when I saw this one on biddr I placed it on my watch list. It's a great portrait, very good style, and overall a lovely coin.

5674496_1717509452.jpg.98b10cf9b15716127916ceb266b2761a.jpg

Unfortunately by the time the auction went live I did not have funds to spare for it. Bidding was around 160 EUR and I expected it to go to 300 or maybe even 400 Euros. I didn't bother placing any bids, which was just as well because when I just checked to see what it had hammered for, I nearly fell out of my chair! 😮

grrv.png.9c84709b25d771e4b24d6025da707aa4.png

After fees that is more than $4,500 !!! 

I am speechless.

• Gasp 3
  • Mind blown 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • Shock 1

12 hours ago, CPK said:

I'm still kind of informally on the lookout for a really nice Trajan denarius, and when I saw this one on biddr I placed it on my watch list. It's a great portrait, very good style, and overall a lovely coin.

5674496_1717509452.jpg.98b10cf9b15716127916ceb266b2761a.jpg

Unfortunately by the time the auction went live I did not have funds to spare for it. Bidding was around 160 EUR and I expected it to go to 300 or maybe even 400 Euros. I didn't bother placing any bids, which was just as well because when I just checked to see what it had hammered for, I nearly fell out of my chair! 😮

grrv.png.9c84709b25d771e4b24d6025da707aa4.png

After fees that is more than $4,500 !!! 

I am speechless.

Me too. Nice portrait, but I don‘t find the coin soo special… 

IMG_0438.jpeg.58f9b0f7641712fc394193bfee092e8c.jpeg

This one hammered for 330€ about a year ago and I still regret it a lot that I did not bid higher. It has a style that I really like.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 11:02 AM, Steppenfool said:

Hello to our UK friends:

I am selling some of my collection on eBay. I am trying to recoup costs rather than make a profit, so prices are (in my opinion) quite reasonable. Take a look if this interests you and feel free to negotiate a Numisforums discount!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/numisbarn

@Steppenfool, only especially with all the recent context above, your ebay listings are Terrific.  Consistently medium-higher end stuff, with prices that are seriously 'Old School.'  At this point,I'm collecting Roman on the rare side of sporadically.  But yours are tabbed, and due to be bookmarked when I run out space for tabs.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CPK said:

It's a great portrait, very good style, and overall a lovely coin.

I guess if you want a super coin, you may have to pay for it. I got this not-super coin from CNG in 2002:

image.jpeg.f22d650efa3e759d702a19c2cf4f91df.jpeg

It cost, wait for it, $50. 

Here is another Trajan denarius with an interesting reverse:image.jpeg.961977ad8483150c7ffddfd3ae9d9956.jpeg

Bought at a coin show in 1989 for $175. I'd much rather have these for twice what I paid than that wonderful portrait piece for what it cost. 

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted · Supporter

Sometimes the portrait just screams at you, "i am yours if you bid a little more". I ended up paying 140 Euros for this Trajan denarius, because I wanted it so much.

Pn5oqMY88B7kJbC24RaJCg3w9mxEKN.jpg.dc7d1e9dc59c009a193cec2bf2eb2c14.jpg

• Like 5

Posted · Supporter

Oh, for sure. I'm not immune to that appeal either - I bought this coin from the same auction house, probably overpaid too, but it's about the finest Vespasian portrait denarius I've ever seen.

VespasiandenariusPONTIFMAXIMv.4.jpg.50aa3f3162c4b78eb69afc5e674079b0.jpg

VESPASIAN, AD 69-79
AR Denarius (18.35mm, 3.26g, 6h)
Struck AD 74. Rome mint
Obverse: IMP CAESAR VESP AVG, laureate head of Vespasian right
Reverse: PONTIF MAXIM around winged caduceus
References: RIC II 686 (R), RCV 2306
Lightly toned and lustrous. A magnificent portrait of Vespasian and an exemplar of the veristic style of Flavian portraiture.

• Like 7

On 4/21/2023 at 6:19 PM, JayAg47 said:

When I started collecting ancients 4years ago, ebay was my mainstay, I used to build up my Roman denarii by buying them for really cheap (around 20-30 bucks each), nowadays if you search for any denarius in that price range all you get is pages upon pages of fakes from eastern Europe and North Africa, even from Yugoslavia lol, they even fake common Gordian III ants!! nowadays I only buy ultra niche coins or unattributed coins from ebay that are only known by the few in numismatics. My other avenues include local coin shows and private online dealers, however Ma-shops and Vcoins have become more pricey in the last couple of years, I don't know if I've raised my budget for nicer coins or I had to raise my budget because of coinflation even for common coins. I'm still yet to dabble into online auctions which are whole other beasts of themselves with their hidden costs and rates. 

You buy any coins from the Ancient Coin Sales Facebook group? Lately I’ve been buying a lot of stuff on there 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrMonkeySwag96 said:

You buy any coins from the Ancient Coin Sales Facebook group? Lately I’ve been buying a lot of stuff on there 

I haven't purchased any coins from Facebook, but I used to buy from Reddit's r/coins4sale. Nowadays, I mainly stick with Vcoins, MA-Shops, private online dealers, and eBay.

Posted · Supporter
1 minute ago, AETHER said:

Just bought this at goodwill, feels like bronze. $8 is $8 dollars 

IMG_20240713_184844_HDR.jpg.58aeb851d6c4f9daf2f20b05a836544e.jpg

Interesting! Have you attempted to identify it at all?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CPK said:

Interesting! Have you attempted to identify it at all?

No, just walked in with it, only bought because I thought it was bronze, it may be cast iron, not sure. it's close to ten pounds. It looks cool. I'll do some digging when I have chance.

Edited by AETHER
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 12:33 PM, Steppenfool said:

The main reason I created this thread was that I really needed to vent about the current pricing situation. Like any good addiction, I've reached the point in coin collecting where I need a regular fix. I am feeling this urge kick in right about now, esepcially due to only having one coin to my name in 2023 so far. Usually when this happens I'd set aside a small sum and treat myself to something nice. When I first started collecting a couple of years ago it was about £50 I'd need to get myself something halfway interesting in passable condition. Nowadays vcoins/MAShops prices have climbed so much that a £100 war chest doesn't seem to throw up anything worth buying.

Anyone find themselves in a similar situation?

Year's ago I discontinued making fixed purchases for this very reason. When I make purchases for anything, including coins, I don't look at the cost, I look at the value. Is it worth what I'm paying. I want to fill gaps in my collection but I don't see the "value" of spending $100 or more for a common Gordian III antoninianus. So I bid at auction for what I feel is a reasonable price.

• Yes 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, quite a flood of Arabian/Parthian coinage coming from Zurquieh on VCoins the past week or so! I wonder how many hoards he's gotten hold of. Must be nice for the Parthian collectors among us but I have to admit it makes navigating the site a bit unwieldy.