Any luck in Leu 13?

Phil Davis

• Benefactor

I was the underbidder on the Murcus and the Antony Lybicae; both wonderful coins that hammered at less than they might have. I opted not to push further, but the winners did very well imo. The Murcus especially was a bargain really. I did win this Antony, Crawford 496/3. I love the way Sol assimilates Antony's features on this die (not as evident on others.) I'm not aware that that's been commented on before (although I won't be shocked if it has been), but it really is unmistakable:

Mark Antony, 44-30 BC. Denarius (Silver, 20 mm, 3.95 g, 12 h), military mint mov...

• Like 23
  • Clap 2
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Mind blown 1

4042289_1681979757.jpg

Description from LEU: Commodus, 177-192. Dupondius (Orichalcum, 27 mm, 16.60 g, 12 h), Rome, 179. L AVREL COMMODVS AVG TR P IIII Radiate head of Commodus to right. Rev. IMP III COS II P P / S - C Victory advancing left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond in her left. BMC 1708. Cohen 237. MIR 455-18/50. RIC 1614. Very rare. A lovely coin struck on an exceptionally large and heavy flan, with an excellent portrait of the young heir to the throne. Minor deposits, otherwise, nearly extremely fine. From the Aes Augustorum Collection and from the Leo Benz Collection, Lanz 94, 22 November 1999, 681, ex Sternberg XIII, 17-18 November 1983, 722.

Link: https://www.biddr.com/auctions/leu/browse?a=3501&l=4042289 

---

I had first been interested in this bronze of the young Commodus, but then I didn't run the race. And I'm glad now that I didn't take part in the game. Sold for 1,500 CHF without commission fees - I didn't buy the coin at auction.

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. It is my personal private opinion. But in the end I didn't find the portrait so beautiful after all - rather smooth. On the obverse between 4 and 7 p.m. it is a bit abraded. On the back, letters of the legend are missing. In short... that's where I refrained from a bidding war.

Apart from that, there was nothing else interesting for me.

• Like 14

I had a surprise win at Nomos recently which made me extremely happy but also took me out of any serious running for any of my Leu targets. I’ll be excited to see what others have won.

That is a fantastic coin Phil! You are clearly correct about the features on Sol. Congrats on a great win!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

I was the underbidder on the Murcus and the Antony Lybicae; both wonderful coins that hammered at less than they might have. I opted not to push further, but the winners did very well imo. The Murcus especially was a bargain really. I did win this Antony, Crawford 496/3. I love the way Sol assimilates Antony's features on this die (not as evident on others.) I'm not aware that that's been commented on before (although I won't be shocked if it has been), but it really is unmistakable:

Mark Antony, 44-30 BC. Denarius (Silver, 20 mm, 3.95 g, 12 h), military mint mov...

A great coin @Phil Davis , a little prettier than this one (without the IMP - 496/2) 🙂- the style differences between the two interesting ...and resemblance between sol and Antony not as obvious on this coin..

image.png.e0956459f4a5374c7d9674d945b2d268.png

• Like 10

Nice win Phil! 

I monitored the sale. I had a few targets in this auction but didn't bother with them because I already picked up a piece at CNG this week, and Heritage a few weeks earlier. My targets were all in the Aes Augustorum segment. While the auction achieved solid hammer prices overall, the pieces I wanted only gained one or two additional bids from the pre-bidding....oh well 🙃

• Like 4

I had my eye on two coins in the last portion of the sale, of which the one I coveted most was this one:  image.jpeg.46f516998ec29ccd4f4ec13075635de7.jpeg

this comes from the Aurum Barbarorum collection.  The reverse features a bear attacking a man.  The design seems to be original, rather than a copy of a Roman or Greek prototype.   The purchase price was almost twice the estimate, which is a bargain in my opinion.  Sadly, household financial considerations precluding my bidding aggressively, so I must sadly report, not my coin.  

• Like 6