Perseus Tetradrachm

John060167

Got this coin in the last NAC auction:

F496FA97-4AE1-431B-A807-6664C27492B7.jpeg.efce2995e2dcfe19302feff8aed2efe6.jpeg

153A74DE-A316-4A02-88DB-DFD56A468EA0.jpeg.c621668c1db401d607f331b6a80b5cd0.jpeg1DF15CC7-8E3D-435D-8B3C-5357B3E0B539.jpeg.4049f644a54e48ffc0e71d4285ce55b5.jpeg

Perseus, 178 – 168BC.

AR Tetradrachm, 30mm, 16.96 g, 12h

Struck 174/3BC,  Pella/ Amphipolis mint

Obv: Diademed head of Perseus r., slightly bearded. 

Rev: ΒΑΣΙ – ΛΕΩΣ / ΠΕΡ – ΣΕΩΣ Eagle standing r. on thunderbolt, with open wings.  Above, monogram, in r. field, MI and below, Φ. All within wreath. 

SNG Copenhagen 1266. Mamroth 8. De Luca 101d (this coin-illustrated(?)).

Ex CNG 81, 2009, 374 and Triton XVI, 2013, 307 sales. From the RCM collection.

Perseus was the last king of Macedon ,  the son of Philip V,  who had his own wars with the Romans (The First and Second Macedonian Wars). Following Philip V’s death, Perseus took the throne and eventually continued the struggle against the Romans in the Third Macedonian War in 171BC, but in 168BC was defeated and following this, Macedon would be annexed by Rome. Following his defeat, Perseus was allowed to live his remaining days in Rome in comfort, but died in 166BC.

This example is an attic standard issue, an earlier issue made by the magistrate Zoilos, who was known through some issues of Philip V and the issues of Perseus. The earliest issues bear a signature below the bust and are the most sought after issues of Perseus,  but following these initial issues only a monogram on the reverse at 12h was placed, signifying it was Zoilos who issued them. Perhaps putting his full name right below the bust was considered too bold of a move for a magistrate, so the earliest issues were changed to reflect this. As time went on and the war started, Zoilos retired and the tetradrachms degraded in style and also were reduced in weight, as can be seen by later issues. Whilst still very beautiful and desirable issues, the toll of the war can be seen on these amazing issues nonetheless. 

Overall, the tetradrachms of Perseus are known for their super realistic and finer style portraiture, which really drew me in to picking one up. Definitely one of the more beautiful types of hellenistic coinage in my opinion!

Please share any coins you feel are relevant!

Cheers!

PS: Here is a video if you wanna see: https://imgur.com/a/aiYoFr5

Edited by John060167
  • Like 20
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Mind blown 1
  • Yes 1

Congratulations!

There was some strange bidding around that section, maybe after the high price of the Philip V just before.  Out of curiosity,  is the eye ok when held in hand?  It's very different to the one (apparently same)  from  Triton.  I know caused a bit of worry despite it being NAC.

Black-eyed version of same coin here -

92000307.jpg

• Like 8
  • Cookie 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

That's an astounding pickup! These coins are stunning and you've acquired one of the best examples.

Perseus is a bit late for my collection, but I do have this one from his great-great-grandfather.

AntigonosII.jpg.59fbadc7bce2eb28f0f295c451ec8930.jpg

Kings of Macedon, Antigonos II Gonatas (277/6-239 BC)
AR Tetradrachm (31mm, 16.85g, 3h)
Amphipolis, c. 274/1-260/55.
Horned head of Pan l., lagobolon over shoulder, in the centre of a Macedonian shield. R/ Athena Alkidemos advancing l., preparing to cast thunderbolt; crested Macedonian helmet to inner l., monogram to inner r. HGC 3, 1042.

• Like 9

On 6/13/2023 at 2:01 PM, Deinomenid said:

Congratulations!

There was some strange bidding around that section, maybe after the high price of the Philip V just before.  Out of curiosity,  is the eye ok when held in hand?  It's very different to the one (apparently same)  from  Triton.  I know caused a bit of worry despite it being NAC.

Black-eyed version of same coin here -

92000307.jpg

the eye is great, they just cleaned some deposits off the coin which resulted in it looking much better! a beauty for sure now.

cheers

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:33 PM, kirispupis said:

That's an astounding pickup! These coins are stunning and you've acquired one of the best examples.

Perseus is a bit late for my collection, but I do have this one from his great-great-grandfather.

AntigonosII.jpg.59fbadc7bce2eb28f0f295c451ec8930.jpg

Kings of Macedon, Antigonos II Gonatas (277/6-239 BC)
AR Tetradrachm (31mm, 16.85g, 3h)
Amphipolis, c. 274/1-260/55.
Horned head of Pan l., lagobolon over shoulder, in the centre of a Macedonian shield. R/ Athena Alkidemos advancing l., preparing to cast thunderbolt; crested Macedonian helmet to inner l., monogram to inner r. HGC 3, 1042.

beautiful tet, i want one like that for my set!

• Like 1

Tetradrachm of Perseus struck at Pella? or Amphipolis 179-172 BC obv. Head right diademed Rv Eagle standing right wins spread on thunderbolt. All within oak wreath, HGC 1091 De Luca 22 This coin illustrated 16.63 grms 32 mm Photo by W. Hansenperseus5.jpg.f21eaf9be78edd7a51db782eb81c6216.jpg

This is one of the earlier portraits thus lacking the prominent neck vein that is seen on the later coinages.

• Like 5
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Shock 1