Leo VI Enthroned Æ Follis...

ewomack

Leo VI, "The Wise" or "The Philosopher" (due to his scholarly work, which some claim distracted him from ruling the empire), sits on an ornate and even somewhat strangely designed throne. The details on this specimen could look sharper and stronger in places, but most of the features appear fairly clearly, down to his tiny wire feet. This might rank as the roundest and most overall well-centered Byzantine coin that I've yet acquired. The patina looks slightly more malachite green in hand than in the photo. Sadly, this is the coin that I started the import duty thread on earlier, so I paid an extra and unexpected $50.00 for it after submitting the order. The base price wasn't too bad, but the duty turned it into what feels like an overpay. C'est la vie. I still like it, but I will probably forever feel a lingering tinge of extortion when looking at this coin in the future. 😄

886_to_912_LeoVI_AE_Follis_02_01.png.1691d13692408fc82debc04b700c1c8b.png886_to_912_LeoVI_AE_Follis_02_02.png.40ae9225dfb08a4b2a27c755ca24cf44.png
Leo VI (AD 886-912); Constantinople; Æ Follis; Obv: +LEOn bAS - ILEVS ROM'* Leo enthroned facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding labarum and akakia; Rev: Inscription in four lines: +LEOn / Eh ΘEO bA / SILEVS R / OmEOh; 6.90g, 28.00 mm;  Sear 1728

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

Leo VI, AD 886-912. Æ 40 Nummi (27mm, 8.52g). Constantinople. Obv: + LЄOn bASILЄVS ROm; Facing bust with short beard, wearing crown and chlamys, holding akakia in left hand. Rev: + LЄOn/ЄhΘЄΟ bA/SILЄVS R/OmЄOn; Legend in four lines across field. DOC 8; Sear 1729. image.jpeg.488766f1ff0ebbb283131b8d7b911b1b.jpeg

Once I have a coin in hand that I decide that I like enough to keep in the collection, I rarely even think about how much I over or under paid for it. I mean, all ancient coins should cost thousands of dollars each and we are just damned lucky that most of them don't.

• Like 11
  • Yes 1

6 hours ago, Edessa said:

Once I have a coin in hand that I decide that I like enough to keep in the collection, I rarely even think about how much I over or under paid for it. I mean, all ancient coins should cost thousands of dollars each and we are just damned lucky that most of them don't.

...i hear ya Bro!..i remember my 1st ancients were inexpensive LRB's, i holding them my hand, thinking about how significant they historically were...:)

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

14 hours ago, ominus1 said:

...i hear ya Bro!..i remember my 1st ancients were inexpensive LRB's, i holding them my hand, thinking about how significant they historically were...:)

Just to show you how far down the rat hole I have fallen, after 30 years of collecting, I still purchased this one at a recent Roma auction simply because it was too cheap! $22 all in. I need another Constantine bronze like I need another hole in my wallet.

I will also admit that I was intrigued by the condition. I don't believe that it shows much of any circulation wear. The weak spots appear to be where the die was occluded or damaged.

Constantine I 'the Great', AD 307-337. Æ Follis (16mm, 2.65g, 6h). Lugdunum mint, struck AD 332. Obv: CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG; Rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right. Rev: GLORIA EXERCITVS; Two soldiers holding spears and shields with two standards between them, (pellet within crescent) PLG in exergue. Ref: RIC VII 253. 

image.jpeg.16dfe66d9fc3cb9cf336296970f024c8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

That's brilliant, @Troyden.  It's only cooler that the style of throne isn't in evidence in other periods.

Regarding overpriced coins, there's one instance from here that leaps to mind.  Maybe a decade ago, I paid the 50 GBP asking price for a Parliamentary half groat on UK ebay.  At the time, that was high, but it was still pretty exceptional for the issue.  (Sorry, too long ago to have pics.)  Especially nowadays, I don't regret it for a minute.  @ewomack, here's hoping you watch the same thing happen, sooner than later.  Unless I'm making it up, prices for Byzantines have been on that kind of trajectory for a long minute already.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for taking this thread into areas that I never thought it would go. First, I'll post my own Leo VI Sear 1729. This remains one of the more common Byzantine coins (Sear claims it's probably the most common one), so seekers can find decent examples at pretty decent prices. It's probably a great Byzantine starter coin.

886_to_912_LeoVI_AE_Follis_01.png.2bf0889a6470de45a0c809434af43d6d.png886_to_912_LeoVI_AE_Follis_02.png.25ae58535884e8582762eeffd18db569.png
Leo VI (AD 886-912); Constantinople; Æ Follis; Obv: +LEOn bAS - ILEVS ROM' Bust facing wearing crown and chlamys, holding akakia in l. hand; Rev: Inscription in four lines: +LEOn / Eh ΘEO bA / SILEVS R / OmEOh; 7.67g.;  Berk 918, Sear 1729

The 9th century mosaic of the throne from Hagia Sofia is a brilliant addition, @Troyden. Even at a glance, similarities definitely exist with the Leo VI coin's throne. The asymmetry of the throne's two sides on the coin is interesting. Most of it results from his arm placement, of course, but why not make them the same height? Does the labarum have some extra hanging parts? I don't know. Also, the design pattern of the throne itself seems to match Leo's loros, as if Leo VI would just blend right in with the throne itself. Both are likely bejeweled and it was probably easier to just continue the same design. As for other possible comparisons, there is also the throne on the mosaic below in Sant'Apollinare Nuovo, Ravenna of Christ Pantokrators from the 6th century that also somewhat resembles the one on the Leo VI coin and on the Hagia Sofia mosaic. I've seen numerous versions of Byzantine Emperors' thrones, even ones that resemble small stools with no backing. The style discussed here definitely makes more of an impression.

image.jpeg.444380d197ca5a513b496a2e375cd79d.jpeg

As for coin overpaying, I understand what everyone said above, but I like to watch my spending, otherwise unpleasant financial surprises can occur. I'm not really all that picky after all, because I just ordered another coin the other day. Not only that, it's coming from Germany again. We'll see if customs slaps another import fee on me or not. I really like ancient coins like everyone else here, but not enough to pay too much for them. Yet I'm sure I've overpaid for a few without caring. I just don't want to do that too often.

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 6