Denarius of C Servilius Mf -- The First Denarius to Read "ROMA" on the Obverse

Roman Collector

This was an impulse purchase. I fell in love with the horses on the reverse. What artistry!! This is apparently the first denarius to read ROMA on the obverse. C. Servilius Mf was a Republican moneyer, known only from his coins. I don't know a whole lot about this coin otherwise.

CServiliusMfdenariusDioscuri.jpg.5f89ae3be33b45770e9fea3b417a7670.jpg
C Servilius Mf, 136 BCE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.76 g, 21.0 mm, 5 h.
Rome, 135 BCE.
Obv: Helmeted head of Roma, right; behind, wreath and denominational mark; below, ROMA.
Rev: The Dioscuri galloping in opposite directions, holding inverted spears; in exergue,
C·SERVEILI·M·F.
Refs: Crawford RRC 239/1; Sydenham CRR 525; Sear RCV 116; RSC Servilia 1.

• Like 21
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

Congratulations! Here's my example together with my write-up, which doesn't really say anything you don't (I didn't take the time to research the type) apart from mentioning one other distinction -- albeit a "second" rather than a "first"!  I, too, love the Dioscuri galloping in opposite directions. Very unusual.

Roman Republic, C. Servilius M.f., AR Denarius 136 BCE. Obv. Head of Roma right wearing winged helmet, wreath behind neck, ROMA beneath with * [X with bar through it = XVI monogram] to left / Rev. Dioscuri on horseback galloping in opposite directions, heads turned back to face each other, both twins holding their spears downwards behind horses, C. SERVEILI M F in exergue. RSC I Servilia 1, Crawford 239/1, Sydenham 525, Sear RCV I 116 (ill.), BMCRR Italy 540. 19.35 mm., 3.89 g. [Sear says that this is the first Republican denarius with “ROMA” legend on obverse, and the second to use the monogram for XVI .]

image.jpeg.31024a00c5ebb45477e4f1b16eb89781.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Jason23 said:

Congrats on the coin, it is a nice issue to have.  This is my coin I won from a Stack's Bowers auction in 2021, Donna I do like the different noses on your and my coins, maybe someone comparing profiles at the mint haha

image.jpeg

My Roma definitely has more of a "beak" than yours or @Roman Collector's does!

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

On 11/3/2023 at 11:55 PM, Roman Collector said:

This was an impulse purchase. I fell in love with the horses on the reverse. What artistry!! This is apparently the first denarius to read ROMA on the obverse. C. Servilius Mf was a Republican moneyer, known only from his coins. I don't know a whole lot about this coin otherwise.

CServiliusMfdenariusDioscuri.jpg.5f89ae3be33b45770e9fea3b417a7670.jpg
C Servilius Mf, 136 BCE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.76 g, 21.0 mm, 5 h.
Rome, 135 BCE.
Obv: Helmeted head of Roma, right; behind, wreath and denominational mark; below, ROMA.
Rev: The Dioscuri galloping in opposite directions, holding inverted spears; in exergue,
C·SERVEILI·M·F.
Refs: Crawford RRC 239/1; Sydenham CRR 525; Sear RCV 116; RSC Servilia 1.

So, that's what it's like to step out of your specialty...very nice!

• Like 1

This is a favorite coin design for me.  there are several aspects that make the design unique.  The most obvious is the dioscuri advancing in opposite directions, but the obverse helmet with its intricate representative of the (curly and bejeweled) griffon tufts is very appealing.  Here's the example from my collection:

image.png.7dbbb3eb1c41aa0b9ddc31f06d73b2df.png

• Like 9
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor
8 hours ago, SteveJBrinkman said:

This is a favorite coin design for me.  there are several aspects that make the design unique.  The most obvious is the dioscuri advancing in opposite directions, but the obverse helmet with its intricate representative of the (curly and bejeweled) griffon tufts is very appealing.  Here's the example from my collection:

image.png.7dbbb3eb1c41aa0b9ddc31f06d73b2df.png

Is that a forked tongue or some sort of alien creature I see protruding from Roma's mouth?!

• Laugh 3

3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Is that a forked tongue or some sort of alien creature I see protruding from Roma's mouth?!

I suspect this is a die cutter's slippage.  I see these anomalies occasionally.  Here is an interesting die damage example that I didn't even see when I bought this example of the rare RRC 46/1.  See the raised tool marks partially obscuring the R and the O in the ROMA legend on the reverse.  Now that I'm looking, Roma has a spiked chin as well.

image.png.346b48723020e8c6b9cfb2d28f132c75.png

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...