Aelius, the almost emperor (show your Aelius!)

Coinmaster

Hi all, I've done some in depth research and made a complete inventory of all the PIETAS-TRIB coins that I could find from Aelius. This learned me a lot.
First, I've found 28 aurei of this type. 16 aurei are with head left and 10 of those are a double die match. I also found 12 aurei with head right: 11 with double die match. One of these turned out to be a new variant(!) (almost without drapery). Only 4 denarii seems to exist (all with head right), none with a die match with the aurei. So it seems the denarii are much more rare than the aurei. Of the denarii, 2 are with double die match and all 4 have a reverse die match. I also found 2 plated denarii with head left (both different than the other coins) and 1 fake denarius, based on an aureus - see below (see also this page for more (different) fake coins from Aelius).
To conclude: this whole Aelius-PIETAS-TRIB-cointype is rare, with mostly double die matches. The double die match of my own denarius seems now to fit with the rest. As the oldest two denarii from the Vienna collection have a collection history before 1923 (see before) and have a reverse die match with my coin, it seems highly unlikely my own denarius is a (modern) fake. I hope you agree.
Below are the unique obverses and reverses of the coins. The numbers correspond with the coins (from left to right).

Obverse.png

Reverse.png

Plated and fake.png

Edited by Coinmaster
  • Like 7

• 7 months later...

I feel a little odd responding to a 7-month old thread but a fellow member has asked me privately to respond (though not sure to what exactly?). If it's a comment re fake vs. real that last one bare headed draped bust right w/ Pietas reverse does look modern imo.

Eh, let's see... and if it was to post an Aelius, I don't have one currently but check out this one I had at some point. Wish whoever has it now would sell it back to me!

Rasiel

Aelius 2003-09-30 800x384.jpg

Edited by rasiel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

image.jpeg.b5b0b5326f2c6513efc6fbc393b63a9a.jpeg

Aelius Caesar, 136 - 138 AD Silver Denarius, Rome Mint, 19mm, 3.01 grams Obverse: L AELIVS CAESAR, Bare head of Aelius right. Reverse: TR POT COS II, Spes advancing left holding flower and raising hem of dress. RIC 2648

Purchased from @KenDorney

Edited by MrMonkeySwag96
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, rasiel said:

I feel a little odd responding to a 7-month old thread but a fellow member has asked me privately to respond (though not sure to what exactly?). If it's a comment re fake vs. real that last one bare headed draped bust right w/ Pietas reverse does look modern imo.

Eh, let's see... and if it was to post an Aelius, I don't have one currently but check out this one I had at some point. Wish whoever has it now would sell it back to me!

Rasiel

Aelius 2003-09-30 800x384.jpg

This one is fairly nice- nice score 

• Like 1

AELIUS, Caesar. 137 AD. Philippopolis, Thrace. (Æ 33; 21.34 gm)
Obv: Λ AIΛIOC KAICAP,  cuirassed bust of Aelius, r., bare head, with paludamentum seen from rear. Rev. ΦIΛIΠΠOΠO - LEITΩN, Female figure wearing polos standing l., holding patera in r. hand and poppy and two ears of corn in l. hand; on l., river-god (Hebrus) reclining. BMC__ ; SNG Cop.__; Moushmov__; Varbanov 643, rarity 9!; RPC III, 753. Of great rarity

AeliusPhilippopolis.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rasiel said:

though not sure to what exactly?

It was about if no. 7 above was fake or real. After a long research only 4 denarii exist of the TRIB PIE TAS type (plus a few plated and a few forgeries). Because there is a die match from the reverse side of no. 7 with coins in the Vienna collection (formed before 1923) it turned out this can’t be a modern forgery. The amount / rarity of coins (both aurei and denarii) plus the new found subtype (see above) could be interesting for the ERIC III edition?

Here is my only Aelius:

aelw.jpg.b0a75fea275c58d55bc8b2492e1f718c.jpg

obv: L. AELIUS CAESAR : bare head right

rev: TR POT - COS II //CONCORD : Concordia seated left holding patera, resting on left elbow on cornucopiae

RIC 2 P.393 nr 436 ;  AD 137; 2,86gr ; 16,87mm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Aelius, as Caesar, AD 136-138. Æ Drachm (34mm, 23.54g, 12h). Dated RY 21 (AD 136/137) of Antoninus Pius. Obv: [Λ AIΛ]IOC-KAICAΡ; Bareheaded and draped bust right. Rev: ΔHM EΞOV-C VΠA[T B]; Homonoia enthroned left, holding phiale with her extended right hand, her left arm resting on throne's armrest; cornucopia at side of throne; OMONOIA in exergue. Ref: Köln –; Dattari (Savio) 2076 & 7990-1; K&G 34.4; RPC III 6226 (53 examples); Emmett 1351 R1). Fine, attractive portrait, nice patina with highlights.

image.jpeg.b400edd0fde16ae471fe45ed536ee62c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1