Bigger is Better

Xeno

11 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

If y'all will forgive me for continuing the brief digression into modern gold, I would like to inquire if @panzerman has one of these.  At 35 mm, it's not absolutely huge, but pretty big for a gold coin.  31.4890 g and 1.0114 oz bullion content.  I know it's ultra modern and looks like a guitar pick, but hey, I like it.  (What's not to like about that much gold, right?)

coins bermuda 1997 gold 60 dollars bermuda triangle wreck of the sea venture

OK, modern digression is over now.  Resume discussion of Ptolemaic "hockey pucks" or other ancient heavies.

That coin is still a beautifull design/ I would love to own that one even though its modern/ but classy. talking about ugly  big gold/ Canada $1M dollar coin/ 

70340242d5a94af48168b000ee59c8ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Shock 1

8 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

John, It's amazing that coins like this one & the Bermuda $60 gold coin that L.M. posted survived the melting pot when the price of gold surged 😃.

I think the reason is simple/ the coins are always worth more as numismatic rarities then bullion value. SA Krugerrands would be better candidates.  My fav. is that Biafra Set/ my first coin bought from $$$ I made cutting grass! Other coin I do not own/ is a privately struck "Morgan" design of 1878 Union ($100) gold coin/ 5 oz. Amazing coin/ rather have that then $100 in paper money!!!!!

image30406.jpg

b9beeddcd8754dc59c3268a37b74d511.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 2:08 PM, Heliodromus said:

I wonder how these beasts were actually used, and what their purchasing power was? They seem unpracticably heavy to be carrying around on the off-chance you want to spend one ... more for a pre-planned payment perhaps ? More bullion than coin ?

In the case of the Carthage 15 Shekel coin, I found this info… 

Hannibal issued it (after losing to Scipio at Zama), when he was organizing Carthage's finances after the 2nd Punic War. Hannibal was scrambling to pay the massive Roman War indemnities. 

I like to personally call these very scarce coins the ZAMA since no one truly knows what they were called at the time.

These were probly produced to ship to Rome, then they (Roma) may had melted them down to convert into their currency.

My thoughts.