The Commune of Paris, March 18, 1871 – May 28, 1871

robinjojo

Okay, fine.  I don't fully comprehend how your quotation of Diderot, 

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

gets to inhabit such a summarily, substantively different context than one going back a mere millenium and a half earlier, and change, where (to my initial point) the similarities had more to do with shared communal pathologies, predictably transcending the minutiae of widely differing demographics.  But I guess that's what makes you that much smarter than me.

Edited by JeandAcre

• Benefactor
16 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Okay, fine.  I don't fully comprehend how your quotation of Diderot, 

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

gets to inhabit such a summarily, substantively different context than one going back a mere millenium and a half earlier, and change, where (to my initial point) the siilarities had more to do with common communal pathologies, predictably transcending the minutiae of widely differing demographics.  But I guess that's what makes you that much smarter than me.

That Diderot quotation was a response to your question "why did the Commune, along with the First Republic, find it So Necessary to close Catholic churches and schools?" It didn't represent MY views (needless to say), but an example of the longstanding prevalence of anti-clericalism in the revolutionary French world-view. By contrast, your statement about the evils of organized religion, and the Romans carrying out the crucifixion at the behest of "the same kind of politico-religious elites as we're looking at, only most recently, right (expletive of choice) now," represented YOUR views and brought current politics into the picture, which the rules make clear we shouldn't be doing. And I shouldn't even have to say this, but your quoted statement about "politico-religious elites" being behind what the Romans did is almost a direct repetition of the exact same canards that have been directed at the Jews for almost 2,000 years. I know perfectly well you didn't intend that, but it's how it might sound to some people. 

Plus, I've never said or thought I was any smarter than you or anyone else here. Please don't do that.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, @DonnaML, for your brilliantly, if predictably cogent explication of precisely how I was veering out of the lane.  Yes, Contemporary, followed by, Politics.  Intentionally implicit; but, Promise you, obviously not implicit enough --least of all for you!

(Subdued, but sustained chuckling ensues.)

Really, Thank you.  Ever since your invitation to this forum (and, why not, before then) you've never stopped being one of my favorite people here. 

Edited by JeandAcre
comma
  • Thanks 1

...Donna, you have my solemn word and bond that no one in this room is making any of this up.

(Edits: Too Many of 'em:) Your vote(s) of confidence are very cordially appreciated. 

And, Yes, I will Never Again accuse you of thinking that I'm dumber than you are.  All of a sudden, it's beginning to register what that felt like for you.  Sorry for that. 

...Still thinking about it, and still thinking (you can blame the residual Calvinism --maybe, sometimes, not residual enough), Sorry.

...Morally, and even theologically, we do what we can with what we have.  This is the best you're getting from here.

Edited by JeandAcre
The extra period in the last paragraph. Is this staarting to be obsessive?