Duplicates?

Valentinian

23 hours ago, Bonshaw said:

I have seven copies of a Lydia lion electrum trite that is both obverse and reverse die match.

Wow! I have some longer series of die links, but no more than 3 full die matches, or 4 coins from either same obverse or same reverse die of which one is linked to another die.

I have a lot of duplicate copies of the same coin type, but only two sets of die matched duplicates. However, both die matched duplicates are double struck mint errors which makes them very unique.

pair.jpg.bdbb1ce8916f442b807d3dff53eecc97.jpg

A die matched pair of Gordian III, RIC 172  

pair.jpg.e1f7afe8dcf8053e2dc5186cf9494445.jpg

A die matched pair of Mesopotamia, Nisibis - Philip II

• Like 4

On 9/9/2024 at 3:34 PM, Rand said:

Wow! I have some longer series of die links, but no more than 3 full die matches, or 4 coins from either same obverse or same reverse die of which one is linked to another die.

@Rand, I love die link sets also, I would love to see yours at some point.

The first series of typeless Lydia trites (Weidauer XV) uses two backpunches. I find that the entire XV series uses one backpunch the whole way through, but replaces the second backpunch once, combined with many obverse dies. The wear of the backpunches (including cracking, smoothing, and breaking) makes it possible to unambiguously put the obverse dies in chronological order, including the first die. I'm now finding that the 10 individual coins can also be placed into chronological order simply from the wear on the *obverse* die mainly (and secondarily on the backpunches).

I believe that this makes it possible to identify the oldest known actual *coin* from the typeless Lydia lion series, and potentially the oldest known coin that was true fiat currency (albeit with some bullion value).

I find this immensely interesting.

Edited by Bonshaw
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonshaw said:

I find this immensely interesting.

Indeed! Hard to beat on intrigue scale.

For a long time I was tyring to identify a die-link of Zeno and Anastasian solidi, which would make them the last East Roman and the first Byzantine solidi. I traced and bought them last year. There are many similar examples were duplicates are quite interesting to look at.

Did someone say duplicates? It all depends on how we define duplicates.....

A double die match is a duplicate in my eyes but I NEEDED both t make a full legend determination.

RI_064az_img.jpg

RI_064jp_img.jpg

I count these are different enough. The same obverse die but different reverse dies of the same type.....

RI_064ky_img.jpg

RI_064fo_img.jpg

Same obverse die as above but again two different reverse dies

RI_064eo_img.jpg

RI_064vm_img.JPG

I have lots more reverse types from this obverse die....

• Like 6