Reverses issued for only one Roman

Valentinian

Here are two more types from my "captives" collection, but they are borderline cases.

The were both issued by only one Roman, but can be found (not easily) in the name of two. Both reverse types are also represented on another page on @Valentinian's site, using the type numbers from Failmezger's excellent book (hence the "F").

This revere type (Failmezger-Esty F419, see below) was struck only for a few months (no more than 9) at Siscia. The Emperor in command of the mint struck a version with himself on the obverse (like mine, below), and a version with another ruler:

image.jpeg.76a643a2ad9b2c1a82d99423e2cf77b8.jpeg

Ruler "A" (my specimen), on my captives page or here on ACSearch.
For the version he issued with his colleague on the obverse (which I think must be the rarer of the two), see here: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ConstantiusII/Cs2images.html#F419
(See also Failmezger p. 40)

In a very rare event for the history of the Roman Empire, one of those two Emperors abdicated, handing over the mints and legions, and retired peacefully (thereafter surviving another 5 years or so before dying peacefully -- that is, without trying to take the throne back, as happened a generation or two earlier with one of the original Tetrarchs). The succeeding ruler took over the Thessalonica mint, striking the coins below for himself, but also in the name of his newly-elevated Caesar (very rare).

Per Esty F425 (link below), "This type is the second-rarest FTR [FEL TEMP REPARATIO] type available":

image.jpeg.bdad9b32bc4747dced6b1979db85918a.jpeg

On this type: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ConstantiusII/Cs2images.html#F425
(See also Failmezger pp. 42 [note 97], 112, 113.)

(The obverse of my specimen is here on my barbarians, captives, enemies page. To see the other ruler who very rarely appeared on the obverse, see the entry on the ANS' OCRE and its unillustrated but exceedingly minor variant.)

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 5

Couple more!

Apologies to all for such a tiny awful photo:

GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor standing with TWO captives. Esty Type 54.
Full image of my coin from previous post.

image.png.ee0296c1641d51d6e59c703a1df94452.png

Magnentius had a similar single-ruler reverse on an AE2: GLORIA ROMANORVM, two captives, Emperor holding a standard w/ Chi-rho banner.
I don't have a photo of mine. See Esty Type 6.4 (Christian/Magnentius).
Here is the Failmezger 430 (p. 42, pl. 38) photo. With apologies to Doug Smith for filtering his photo through a cell phone, editing & enlarging much larger-than-life:
image.jpeg.cdde99c4a0f6598c955950d555ab023f.jpeg

About that Magnentius reverse type, Failmezger (2002: p. 42, note 98) wrote that the "Captives may be Constantius and Vetranio."
Wouldn't that be interesting?! I wonder if others agree with that idea. (Glad I just looked it up -- I'd never noticed that before!)

Even though the following doesn't come from my "captives" collection, I happen to find it particularly interesting. (Or a good opportunity to look at interesting literature.)

The imagery (emperor in curule w/ sceptre, raising hand) was used by others. But the reverse legend, BEATITVDO PVBLICA, was only used the once.

image.png.a81768ad20f2ab133e13eca824e551c1.png Obverse: previously posted here.

These coins never look that great. Failmezger's specimen is the best I've seen -- by far. 
Failmezger Type 450 (p. 43, pl. 39):

image.jpeg.0fe61dce76f59fd1b96320424d6d75f1.jpeg (The full image w/ obverse can be seen here [on Imgur].) 
Here's the kind of coin for which one could use Rev RJ Plant's line drawings (i.e., in Roman Base Metal Coins), but he didn't illustrate this one. 
G. Bruck (1961/2014) did, however, render it as below (Late Roman Bronze Coinage: An Attribution Guide for Poorly Preserved Coinsp.35). ("III" is for AE3)

image.jpeg.43c709e0f252243663e15fe584711b3b.jpeg

Interestingly, even though it's pretty rare, this type had been published over 300 years ago by Banduri in 1718!
See page 410. Google Books' copy of Numismata Imperatorum Romanorum... vol. II. Unfortunately, not among Pierre Giffart's (1645-1723) many idealized but charming engravings. (To be dazzled by the early 18th century's state of knowledge about late Roman coins, check out Giffart's plates. That link starts w/ Constantius Chlorus.)

• Like 2