Post your latest ancient!

CPK

My latest is a denarius of Nerva with a somewhat unusual and short legend on the reverse

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/nerva-succession-reign

image.png.94419519e291f6009efac362360dbe5d.png

Roman Empire, Nerva, AD 96-98, AR Denarius (16.5mm, 3.44 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck AD Jan-sept 97.

Obv: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR POT, laureate head right

Rev: COS III PP, emblems of the pontificate: simpulum, aspergillum, capis, and lituus

Ref: RIC II 23; RSC 52

The senators chose Nerva, after the murder of Domitian, and he reigned 16 months.  He was the first of the emperors known as the "5 Good Emperors".  Mattingly and Sydenham (RIC II) describe the reason for his selection by the Senate as:  "as a politician he was colourless and inoffensive to the military".  All were chosen for their leadership and qualifications other than "son of".  Rome reached its territorial and economic apogee during this period.  It was a period in which Rome saw no military defeat and no civil war. 

To reduce the cost of living and encourage the farming industry, Nerva instituted expansionary or loose fiscal policy issuing low interest loans to farm holders. He also freed Italians from the Vehiculatio a road tax and freed all who didn't self-declare as Jews to the Jewish tax (fiscus Judaicus) imposed by Vespasian in AD 70. Nerva died on January 27, 98 AD and Trajan succeeded him.

And for an unexpected fact: The city of Gloucester, UK, erected a statue of Emperor Nerva in 2002 in honor of it's founding under Nerva as a Roman Colony for retired veterans: Colonia Nerviana Glevensis. https://equestrianstatue.org/nerva-emperor/

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 2

Got back on memory lane to the 4th century lrbs. For 10 years after the death of Constantine the AE coinage was a short series of puny AE4 types, of which these 2 are part of a type that's close to 348 when the reform that introduces the nice and famous FEL TEMP REPARATIO types:

5642377_1716964582.jpg.472b05fb0bb352c5494b2a4fc6b827e4.jpg

5642381_1716964584.jpg.01426b261bf778d31198ec4d19e0f231.jpg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

This coin is actually a 2023 purchase.  I've held it back because, frankly, it is not exactly a show stopper.  

This stater was purchased from my local coin dealer for $40, so I cannot complain about the price.  As can be clearly seen corrosion is present on both sides, the obverse getting the worse of it.  Still, the reverse is semi-decent and the crab in the exergue is interesting.

Seleucid Kingdom, Seleucus I Nicator, Satrap (312-281 BC). AR stater.

Babylon II, the Native or Satrap workshop, circa 311-after 305 BC. 

Ba'al seated left on backless throne, grounded scepter in right hand, left hand on throne / Lion advancing left; horizontal anchor above, crab seen from above in exergue. 
SC 88.4; ESM 268.

Corrosion on both sides, more on the obverse.
Scarce
Purchased from Sal Falcone in 2023.
14.37 grams

D-CameraSeleucidKingdomSeleucusINicatorSatrap(312-281BC).ARstaterSC88_414.37g6-23-24.jpg.8d6a8c189356100ffc2fc0e43b9848b5.jpg

• Like 12

My last two Claudius coins , the sestertius has a some kind of countermark not very legible.

Claudius AE Sestertius, Rome. AD 41-54. RIC 115
TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP PP, Laureate head right / 
SPES AVGVSTA, Spes walking left, holding flower and raising hem of robe. 
35 mm / 25.6 g

image.jpeg.2c3f2105685ad47185ba55f66600b0aa.jpeg

Claudius Æ As. , RIC 97
TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP, bare head left / 
LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S-C, Libertas standing facing, with pileus and extending left hand. 
29 mm / 10.43 g

image.jpeg.f6363d23abd176c0be24d34eb7908a2c.jpeg

• Like 14

After the helpful discussion on varieties on "Jed Clampett's Truck," I decided to try to find two varieties of the same type coin. First, I went to a listing of Gordian III coins, since there seemed to be many of these available. (AR Antoninianus; RIC IV 93 Rome; AD 241-243, Obv. IMP GORDIANUS PVS FEL AVG; Reverse PM TR PV COS II P P, emperor standing right in military dress, holding spear and globe. Size 23.10 mm, Weight 4.77g.

image.png.9741fe18a3a7d48f7115c05ce9385644.png

Screenshot2024-06-25at11_13_42AM.png.c65d4757faeec1f76294bbdfd22fbdcb.png

Next, in my student mode, I searched the other Gordian III coins to find a "variety" of the first coin. Here is the coin I chose, and further down I will explain the mistakes I made in identification.

Here is Gordian III, 238-244, Emperor in Military dress; RIC IV 92 Roman; Obverse IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, RADIATE, Draped and curiassed bust, right; Reverse PM TR P IIII COS II P P; emperor holding globe and spear; 22.26 mm; 3.75 g.

image.png.678ef1488fbee185400cea20565d8398.png

image.png.a8f87e00186eaf8f8a9a6ca07c1875e2.png

In my enthusiasm, what struck me immediately was the position of the spear in relationship to the two letters. In the botton coin, the spear points between two letters, while in the top coin, it points just above the left of one of the letters. (Does this remind anyone of leaves on Large cents pointing to stars or letters on reverse?)

Because of this, I ordered the two coins.

But there were other signs I missed:

1. The inscriptions on the reverse of each of the coins are different.

2. The size and weight of the coins are different.

3. The biggest tell: there are different RIC numbers for each coin type, and no small-case letters after the RIC number to denote a variety.

I missed obtaining two varieties, but I learned a lot, and have two nice coins. Perhaps when searching for varieties it is good to take a look at everything again, maybe even the next day, before deciding to buy the coin.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

This is my latest, and likely last, ancient for the forseeable future 😞

With FFV joining the pond a few weeks ago, my coin budget is going to be seriously depleted. That, along with Mrs. Frog's 40th birthday happening next year, and my promise to take her to Paris, I will not have any surplus money that I can see to go towards coins 😞

I hope to be able to get back sooner rather than later and I hope that maybe I will be able to pick up a piece here and there. But, who knows.  My daughter and I still have a handful of uncleaned coins that we have been slowly working on so that will give us something to do together.

I'm happy to add this Gallienus to the collection. It is a new Victory reverse that I didn't yet have. 

GallienusSoleReignBillonAntoninianusAntiochVICTORIAAVG.png.ca47d625fa51020c7f28352925e2e221.png

Gallienus, Sole Reign
Antoninianus
Antioch
253-268 AD
Obverse: GALLIENVS P F AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right
Reverse: VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm. 
No mintmark

• Like 11
  • Cry 1

The second dynastic series for Constantine and his family at Rome c. 329 according to L. Ramskold's "Constantine's Vicennalia and the Death of Crispus"

ANEPIGRA1.jpg.b3dd9ef6ef0314dc525b866f4bbb9a7d.jpg
AE18 2.54g 
anepigraphic; bust laureate, rosette diademed, draped, cuirassed r.
CONSTAN/TINVS/AVG/SMRS; wreath above
RIC VII Rome 281

There is a distinct probability that the issue was, as with the earlier 326 Vicennalia coinage, used to mark the presence of Constantine at Rome, but this time for the funerals of Helena.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted · Supporter
11 minutes ago, rasiel said:

This mid-range Otho

Rasielimage.jpeg.e9aec92b46f8a05c16d9a6ffb2622e24.jpeg

If that is mid-range to you I'd love to see your other Otho coins! 😉 That is a beauty!

• Yes 2

5 minutes ago, CPK said:

If that is mid-range to you I'd love to see your other Otho coins! 😉 That is a beauty!

That's my only Otho. I have a bid of 4k on this one. That's high end.. Imma be real happy if I win it. If not, well, mid-range is good enough 😁

https://www.hdrauch.com/site/de/coins.php?akcija=showSingleLot&what=goStart&a_sn=c118&a_gid=1301&a_pid=107&ad_id=165169

Rasiel

Edited by rasiel
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Laugh 1

Posted · Supporter
4 minutes ago, rasiel said:

That's my only Otho. I have a bid of 4k on this one. That's high end.. Imma be real happy if I win it. If not, well, mid-range is good enough 😁

https://www.hdrauch.com/site/de/coins.php?akcija=showSingleLot&what=goStart&a_sn=c118&a_gid=1301&a_pid=107&ad_id=165169

Rasiel

I can see that - the coin you're bidding on looks to be EF for detail and is a terrific coin! But the one you have is better-centered, and is very pleasing to the eye.

Best of luck with your bidding!

• Like 2

I do not think that I have posted this quite new  coin before

normal_Matiditia_R871_klein.jpg.39727fec95ff90e3a68c0ddd886ecb9a.jpg

Trajan / Matidia
Cilicia, Anazarbus
Obv.: ΑΥΤΟ ΚΑΙϹ ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟϹ ϹΕ ΓΕΡΜ ΔΑ, laureate head of Trajan, right
Rev.: ΚΑΙϹΑΡΕ ΠΡ ΑΝΑΖΑΡ(ΒΩ) ΜΑΤΙΔΙΑΝ ϹΕ(Β), ΕΤ ΒΛΡ in fields, draped bust of Matidia, right
AE, 15.17g, 27 mm
Ref.: RPC III, 3370

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

11 minutes ago, shanxi said:

I do not think that I have posted this quite new  coin before

normal_Matiditia_R871_klein.jpg.39727fec95ff90e3a68c0ddd886ecb9a.jpg

Trajan / Matidia
Cilicia, Anazarbus
Obv.: ΑΥΤΟ ΚΑΙϹ ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟϹ ϹΕ ΓΕΡΜ ΔΑ, laureate head of Trajan, right
Rev.: ΚΑΙϹΑΡΕ ΠΡ ΑΝΑΖΑΡ(ΒΩ) ΜΑΤΙΔΙΑΝ ϹΕ(Β), ΕΤ ΒΛΡ in fields, draped bust of Matidia, right
AE, 15.17g, 27 mm
Ref.: RPC III, 3370

shanxi, the portrait of Matidia is exceptional for a provincial coin 🤩.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Another Roman lady on a provincial coin, not the same degree of rarity but a good addition. 

image.png.9df42435dfe8d5af45592c61c791eb63.png

23,5 mm, 7,59 g. Thrace, Hadrianopolis. Tranquillina 241-244 AD. Ӕ. [CAB(I)] TPANKVΛΛEINA CEB, diademed and draped bust right / ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ (ΩΝ ligate), galley with sail, right; on board, rowers. Jurukova, Hadrianopolis 686–7, 698; Varbanov 4089; RPC VII.2, 767.

• Like 13

12 hours ago, rasiel said:

Rasiel

How many Othos do you want to buy? 😄

I agree with @CPK that the specimen that you already have is beautiful, too.

• Like 1

Once again, a new coin is somewhere between the dealer and me awaiting arrival. Until it reaches its new abode, this miliaresion remains my latest ancient (sort of medieval?).

775_to_780_LeoIV_Miliaresion_01.png.186baafc6c43b677ed3414e9257eb8d9.png775_to_780_LeoIV_Miliaresion_02.png.348aade10af8a0e74d3c07e1fb31dbab.png
Leo IV with Constantine VI (775-780), AR Miliaresion, Constantinople; Obv: ҺSЧS XRISTЧS ҺICA, cross potent set on three steps; Rev: / LЄOҺ/ S COnSτ/ AҺτIҺЄ Є/C ΘЄЧ ЬA/SILIS· in five lines; 22mm, 1.75 g, 12h; DOC 3; Sear 1585

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor

Clodius Albinus. As Caesar, AD 193-195. 

Albinus was initially acclaimed emperor by the troops in Britannia and Gaul against the wealthy Didius Julianus, along with Pescennius Niger in Syria and Septimius Severus in the Balkans. Initially he allied with Severus, who planned to eliminate his enemies one by one and mollified Albinus with the title of Caesar. Eventually Albinus learned that Caracalla had been proclaimed Caesar and heir to his father and Severus persuaded the Senate to declare Albinus a public enemy.  Seeing the writing on the wall he mobilized his army and Severus and Albinus clashed at the Battle of Lugdunum where reputedly 150,000 men fought each other on each side according to Cassius Dio. Albinus either fell on his sword or died in the battle. Afterwards Severus rode his horse over his dead body and had his head sent to the Senate as a warning to his supporters. While his wife and sons were initially spared, they were eventually beheaded. Severus became the undisputed master of the Roman world. 

Æ Sestertius (26.5mm, 22.47 g, 12h). Rome mint.

Struck under Septimius Severus, AD 194-195.

Obverse: D CL SEPT ALBIN CAES, Bare head right.

Reverse: FORT REDVCI COS II S-C, Fortuna seated left, holding cornucopia and rudder set on globe; wheel below throne.

Reference: Cf. RIC IV 53a (for type); Banti 10.  Cohen 32, BMC 533, Dark brown patina. 

Acquired 6/27/2024 from Sphinx Numismatics, U.K.

Ex Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 253 (6 April 2011), lot 353.

albinus.jpg.696689c4d46df79ab7ba4f0fcde2ec17.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

I have a soft spot for these Elektron silver/gold staters (I always get weak at the knees for the Bosporus stater) - I have to post this one. I love these pieces.

GREEK COINS - PUNIC - CARTHAGO; Mint: Zeugitania, Carthage; Date: c. 310/270 BC; Nominal: Stater; Material: Elektron Elektrum (Gołd / Silver); Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 7.35g; Reference: MBC -; Reference: cf. SBG 6462; Reference: cf. SNG Copenhagen 976; Reference: cf. Jenkins Group V 341; Obverse: Head of Tanit to left, crowned with wreath of corn, wearing earring with triple pendants and necklace, dotted border; Reverse: Free horse standing to right, double exergue line below, one dot before horse's front leg, dotted border.

Electrum is an originally mineral alloy made of gold and silver. Gold rarely occurs in nature in its pure form (as nuggets). The gold content of mineral electrum alloys varies greatly and can be between about 90% and 20%, typically around 73%. Electrum was originally thought to be a separate metal. The oldest known coins from Lydia from the 7th century BC were minted from electrum, making it the oldest coin alloy. Early Celtic coins also often consist of electrum. Known electrum deposits in ancient times were in Asia Minor and Spain. In addition to minting coins, electrum was also used for jewelry. In ancient times, especially in Egypt and Greece, electrum was used in many different ways and was particularly revered for its "dark color." For example, it adorned the tops of Hatshepsut's large obelisks in Karnak. Likewise, the capstone of Egyptian pyramids, the pyramidion, was probably initially covered with electrum and therefore shone in the sunlight. Electrum was also popular with the Huns. 

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 5

I picked this one up a little while ago. I've always liked the Palladium reverse design, and that thick heavy flan is nice too.

SeptimiusSeverusdenariusPalladium.jpg.4516996d927dca58f1fc38ef07577f44.jpg

SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS, AD 193-211
AR Denarius (18.10mm, 3.82g, 12h)
Struck AD 195-196. Rome mint
Obverse: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VII, laureate head of Septimius Severus right
Reverse: P M TR P III COS II P P, Minerva standing left, holding transverse spear and round shield (i.e., Palladium.)
References: RIC IV 68, RCV 6326 var. (titular dates)
Lightly toned. Struck on a heavy flan. The reverse of this coin depicts the Palladium - an archaic wooden cult statue of Athena, said to have been carried off from Troy by Aeneas, the legendary founder of Rome. The statue was kept in the Temple of Vesta.

• Like 10
  • Party 1