Post your latest ancient!

CPK

I also just picked up an Antiochos III tetradrachm from a different mint.

Seleukid Kingdom of Syria, Antiochos III (223-210 BC) AR Tetradrachm, Antioch-on-the-Orontes, Diademed head right rev. BASILEOS ANTIOXOY Apollo seated left on omphalos, holding bow and arrow, monogram to outer left, 17.00g (SC 1042.1)

IMG_7923.jpg

IMG_7925.jpg

• Like 21
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@ela126 and @filolif, those are spectacular coins. It's very hard to beat those Hellenistic tetradrachms for artistry and production quality.

@Prieure de Sion, I love that Cato denarius! That type is one I'd love to get some day - in fact I was recently outbid on one. Cato's denarii seem to be a lot scarcer than his quinarii. Yours is a particularly fine example. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I haven't been around in a while or acquired a new coin for some time, so here's a welcome addition. I saw this coin back in January at the NYINC as a part of Leu's FPL and liked it, but thought the price was too high. I ended up winning it in their latest feature auction.

AR Miliarense of Valens from the Trier mint

RomanImperial_Valens_Miliarense_Trier.jpg.431a581ecba9065291de806c59dbe2db.jpg

• Like 19
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Decided it was time to finally get a menander tetradrachm, seeing that CNG seems to be dispersing a hoard of these guys. 

image.png.6165012669a78ad443c4133c7a1699c2.png

BAKTRIA, Indo-Greek Kingdom. Menander I Soter. Circa 155-130 BC. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 9.58 g, 12h). Diademed and draped bust right, wearing crested helmet adorned with pelt and wing / Athena Alkidemos advancing left; Σ and monogram flanking. Bopearachchi 15B

• Like 17
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Today I was able to win a Provincial Bronze of the Roman Republic of Fulvia, wife of Marcus Antonius. Very interesting historical background. 

Fulvia was first married to P. Clodius, the Roman firebrand. After his violent death in 52 BC, she married C. Scribonius Curio, who likewise met an untimely end in Africa. She married Mark Antony in 44 BC, and became an outspoken defender of his interests in Rome while he campaigned in the east (and enjoyed the attentions of Cleopatra). The city of Eumenia was re-named Fulviana in her honor by Antony's partisans. By 40 BC, Fulvia's strident attacks on Octavian had provoked a reaction, and she had to flee first to southern Italy and then to Greece. She met Antony at Athens, where he upbraided her for antagonizing Octavian when he was trying to maintain a semblance of cordial relations. Fulvia died at Sicyon shortly thereafter. Some examples of these coins show that the ethnic was removed from the die and two countermarks were applied, one that was the monogram of old Eumeneia, and the other probably of the magistrate Zmertorix, possibly proclaiming that he did not think such a renaming of the city was a good idea in the first place (CNG Text).

Fulvia.png.0b8ff4656b87b3d5b3d8b43ef330d336.png

PHRYGIA, Eumeneia (as Fulvia). Fulvia, third wife of Mark Antony. Circa 41-40 BC. Æ (21mm, 7.87 g, 11h). Zmertorix, son of Philonides, magistrate. Draped bust of Fulvia (as Victory) right; c/ms: {ZMEPTO} and {ΦIΛΩ} in circular incuse / Athena advancing left, holding shield and spear. RPC I 3139; BMC 20-1; SNG Copenhagen –. For c/ms: Howgego –. 

• Like 16
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

15 hours ago, Cordoba said:

Decided it was time to finally get a menander tetradrachm, seeing that CNG seems to be dispersing a hoard of these guys. 

image.png.6165012669a78ad443c4133c7a1699c2.png

BAKTRIA, Indo-Greek Kingdom. Menander I Soter. Circa 155-130 BC. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 9.58 g, 12h). Diademed and draped bust right, wearing crested helmet adorned with pelt and wing / Athena Alkidemos advancing left; Σ and monogram flanking. Bopearachchi 15B

What is this great style?! Great! Great coin - stylistically very beautiful. A real eye-catcher. I would have fallen for it too.

• Like 2
  • Big Smile 1

• Benefactor
On 10/31/2023 at 12:03 PM, filolif said:

I also just picked up an Antiochos III tetradrachm from a different mint.

Seleukid Kingdom of Syria, Antiochos III (223-210 BC) AR Tetradrachm, Antioch-on-the-Orontes, Diademed head right rev. BASILEOS ANTIOXOY Apollo seated left on omphalos, holding bow and arrow, monogram to outer left, 17.00g (SC 1042.1)

IMG_7923.jpg

IMG_7925.jpg

Great coin and beautiful and unusual photographs @filolif !

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I have received two strong late Roman and Byzantine women here: Aelia Pulcheria and Aelia Eudocia... 

Aelia Pulcheria was an Eastern Roman empress who advised her brother emperor Theodosius II during his minority and then became wife to emperor Marcian from November 450 AD to her death in 453 AD. She was the second child of Eastern Roman Emperor Arcadius and Empress Aelia Eudoxia. In 414 AD, the fifteen-year old Pulcheria became the guardian of her younger brother Theodosius II. When Theodosius was killed in a riding accident in AD 450, Pulcheria briefly ruled as sole empress before bowing to demands that she marry and thus chose a suitable man to rule as Augustus.

PULCHRIC521.png.cb32547784870ebed4fe72ce9f05d1c2.png

Aelia Pulcheria Augusta; Reign: Marcian; Mint: Constantinopolis; Date: 450/457 AD; Nominal: Tremissis; Material: Gold; Diameter: 14.5mm; Weight: 1.36g; Reference: Depeyrot 72/4; Reference: RIC X Marcian 521; Obverse: Pearl-diademed, draped bust of Aelia Pulcheria right, seen from front, wearing necklace and earring, hair elaborately weaved with long plait up the back of head and tucked under diadem; Inscription: AEL PVLCHERIA AVG; Translation: Aelia Pulcheria Augusta; Reverse: Cross within wreath, mintmark in exergue; Inscription: CONOB; Translation: Constantinopoli obryzum; Translation: Constantinople, 1/72 pound pure gold.

Aelia Eudocia (Greek Αιλία Ευδοκία, Ailía Eudokía, Middle Greek pronunciation [ɛlía ɛβðɔkía]; born around 400 AD in Athens; died 20 October 460 AD in Jerusalem. October 460 AD in Jerusalem), before her baptism Athenaḯs (Αθηναΐς), later also Hagía Eudokía (Ἁγία Εὐδοκία, Middle Greek pronunciation [ajía ɛβðɔkía], "holy Eudokia"), was the wife of the Eastern Roman emperor Theodosius II, who reigned from 408 to 450 AD. Aelia Eudocia was born in Athens as the daughter of the pagan rhetoric teacher Leontios and was considered highly educated. She was instrumental in the establishment of the Christian University of Constantinople, which was built as the so-called Athenaeum in 424 AD based on Constantinian beginnings and was the first great intellectual achievement to compile the Codex Theodosianus. Aelia Eudocia herself wrote sacred poems, some of which have been preserved. She sympathised with Miaphysitism, but turned to Orthodoxy at the end of her life. She is venerated as a saint in the Orthodox Church and her feast day is 13 August. 

AEEUDRIC281.png.adcae86a158543e7bd81f85799378b61.png

Aelia Eudocia, wife of Emperor Theodosius II; Reign: Theodosius II; Mint: Constantinopolis; Date: 439 AD; Nominal: Tremissis; Material: Gold; Diameter: 14.5mm; Weight: 1.45g; Reference: Depeyrot 72/2; Reference: RIC X Theodosius II (East) 281; Obverse: Bust of Eudocia, pearl-diademed, draped, right, wearing necklace and earrings, crowned by Hand of God; Inscription: AEL EVDOCIA AVG; Translation: Aelia Eudocia Augusta; Reverse: Cross within a wreath, mintmark in exergue; Inscription: CONOB✳; Translation: Constantinopolis Obryzum; Translation: Constantinople 1/72 pound pure gold.

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 2

Not a particularly valuable coin today, not a very rare coin - I just liked the style of the portrait. Sometimes even the simple things are enough to make you want to buy a coin... 😉 

Bruzus (or Bruzos) was the northernmost city in the area of central Phrygia known as the Pentapolis, a term given to the area in the Byzantine period though the cities were of earlier foundation. Bruzus was founded on the upper Glaucus River. The cities of the Pentapolis were: Bruzus, Otrus, Stectorium, Hierapolis and Eucarpea. Eucarpea was the most important of these cities and the surrounding plain where all five cities were situated was also known as the Plain of Eucarpea. The modern site of Bruzus is at Karasandıklı.

GORDIIIRPC718.png.55f7d57f0c956c898d4de5fdb6e9a3d8.png

Marcus Antonius Gordianus; Reign: Gordianus III; Mint: Bruzus, Phrygia; Date: 238/244 AD; Nominal: Bronze; Material: AE; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.95g; Reference: RPC VII.1 718; Obverse: Laureate and cuirassed bust of Gordian III, right, seen from rear; Inscription: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤΩ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟϹ; Translation: Autokrator Kaisaros Marcos Antonios Gordianos; Translation: Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus; Reverse: Eagle standing facing, head right, wings spread, wreath in beak; Inscription: ΒΡΟΥΖΗΝΩΝ; Translation: Brouzenon; Translation: City of Bruzus.

• Like 14

Three Nero in one day ... that's what I call a good cut... 🙂

neroclaudius.png.4c567e94ca015fb21a1d19c15c62fb06.png

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus; Reign: Nero; Mint: Caesarea, Cappadocia; Date: 63/64 AD; Nominal: Didrachm; Material: Silver Subaerat; Diameter: 21mm; Weight: 6.05g; Reference: BMC 416; Reference: RIC 619; Reference: Sydenham 66; Reference: RPC I 3653; Provenance: Gorny & Mosch Numismatik Munich, Germany (Auktion 274, Lot 2716, 20. November 2020); Obverse: Laureate head of Nero, right; Inscription: NERO CLAVD DI CLAVD F CAESAR AVG GERMA; Translation: Nero Claudius Divi Claudii Filius Caesar Augustus Germanicus; Translation: Nero Claudius, son of the divine Claudius, Caesar, Augustus, victor over the Germans; Reverse: Laureate head of Claudius, right; Inscription: DIVOS CLAVD AVGVST GERMANIC PATER AVG; Translation: Divos Claudius Augustus Germanicus Pater Augusti; Translation: Divine Claudius, Augustus, victor over the Germans, father of the emperor.

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 2

As @Prieure de Sion mentioned a bit earlier, sometimes a coin calls at you regardless of its condition. This is a coin from a place here in Spain, so it appealed to me. This country is so full of Roman historical remains it is incredible.

AUGUSTUS. Æ. As. (Caesaraugusta, (Tarraconensis) Zaragoza, Spain)
Magistrates: Gnaeus Domitius Ampianus, Gaius Vettius Lancianus
Obverse: IMP. AVGVSTVS. TRIB. POTS. XX., laureate head of Augustus to the right.
Reverse: CAES. AVGVS (clockwise from 10-1). CN. DOM. AMP. C. VET. LANC (anti clockwise from 8-2). Priest ploughing with pair of oxen to the right. Below II (with horizontal line above) VIR. (*)
RPC volume I, #320
Leaded bronze,12.85g. 31mm. Reference: Vives 148–10, GMI 328, Beltrán 16, NAH 982, AB. 327.
* Taken from forumancient coins; II VIR One of two Roman officers or magistrates united in the same public functions (one of two (duumviri of a duumvirate). The title written as II VIR, appears on provincial and colonial coinage when dumvir was the title of the highest officials of the city. The office was held in much consideration during the Republic, as well for the power it conferred, as on account of its antiquity, the creation of the duumviri being referred to a period so far back as the reign of Tullus Hostillius.

eK3T6HniL3f89QMkCHc2T4Kom57Nd5.jpg.603bd8b95e75baa747b2650e9c23ae4d.jpg

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

6 minutes ago, expat said:

As @Prieure de Sion mentioned a bit earlier, sometimes a coin calls at you regardless of its condition. This is a coin from a place here in Spain, so it appealed to me. This country is so full of Roman historical remains it is incredible.

I don't think categorisation by condition has any place here. Nobody should think that they cannot publish a coin because it is not "beautiful enough". Every coin is beautiful in its own way! Every coin has a story to tell. And nobody here should think that I'd rather not show my coin because it might not be considered "beautiful enough" by others.

Incidentally - a great and very interesting coin! I really like this Spanish style! Congratulations on the specimen @expat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I won this Hadrian today. It‘s my second coin from the travel series. I find obverse and reverse very attractive. I think that it would be difficult for me to find a specimen that I like more.

image.jpeg.073b818428c34863a4955838d66f1aa2.jpeg

Hadrian, 117 - 138 AD. Denarius ø 17mm (3.24g). Ca. 130 - 133 AD, Rome.
Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, Laureate head right
Rev: AFRICA, Africa with elephant headdress reclining left, holding scorpion and cornucopia, basket of grain at feet. RIC 1494; C. vgl. 137-141; BMC 816; Strack 297; BN 4640. Ex Gorny&Mosch e-auction 299.

I hope that it will look good next to my Hadrian with Nilus reverse:

Hadrian_Nilus.jpeg.dc000cb059fb777bc1433c3835c699c6.jpeg

Obv: "HADRIANVS AVG COS III PP"
Rev: "NILVS", Nilus reclining right, holding reed and cornucopiae, crocodile below, hippopotamus to right.
RIC 310. Ex CNG Auction VIII 1989

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 5

Here is one I received today that has been on my wants list for some time.

image.png.233efffcbe91b10fd4071b47ba6296bc.png

image.png.a35159097ad76dac9f4e75bee0e75165.png

Q. Servilius Caepio (M. Junius) Brutus Silver Denarius
Rome mint,  (54 BC). 
Obverse: Bust of Libertas facing right; LIBERTAS downward behind.
Reverse: Consul L. Junius Brutus, between two lictors, each carrying axe over shoulder, preceded by accensus, all walking to left, BRVTVS in exergue. 
Crawford 433/1; BMCRR Rome 3862; RSC Junia 31.   Weight 3.71 g 21 mm

It has some old collector labels including one from Michael Trenerry that I always appreciate.

image.png.b81813156796649a53398ffeded900f1.png

A bonus is that one of the labels state it was found in Ely Mildenhall on 15/6/82

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

Here is one I received today that has been on my wants list for some time.

image.png.233efffcbe91b10fd4071b47ba6296bc.png

image.png.a35159097ad76dac9f4e75bee0e75165.png

Q. Servilius Caepio (M. Junius) Brutus Silver Denarius
Rome mint,  (54 BC). 
Obverse: Bust of Libertas facing right; LIBERTAS downward behind.
Reverse: Consul L. Junius Brutus, between two lictors, each carrying axe over shoulder, preceded by accensus, all walking to left, BRVTVS in exergue. 
Crawford 433/1; BMCRR Rome 3862; RSC Junia 31.   Weight 3.71 g 21 mm

It has some old collector labels including one from Michael Trenerry that I always appreciate.

image.png.b81813156796649a53398ffeded900f1.png

A bonus is that one of the labels state it was found in Ely Mildenhall on 15/6/82

A very nice acquisition. It is also interesting in that I was born in the RAF hospital, Ely.

22 hours ago, expat said:

A very nice acquisition. It is also interesting in that I was born in the RAF hospital, Ely.

What a coincidence. Divide square miles or kilometres with the population of the world and you probably have more chance of winning a Lottery 100 times! Strange to think when you were in the hospital this was waiting in the ground probably within walking distance of you!

• Laugh 1

One does not simply forget the day when a Brutus coin enters the album. I didn't at least. 

A coin I recently acquired but I don't think will have its own thread. I like it and it was a type I wanted to acquire, but I do not intend to specialize in this area. 

image.png.aea7babc632f0704ee27b8bae454e02a.png

15 mm, 1,52 g.
Judaea, Jerusalem. Jewish War Ӕ prutah. Dated year 3 = 68-69.
שלוש שנת (Year three) in Paleo-Hebrew, amphora with broad rim and two handles / ציון ת[ו]חר (The
freedom of Zion) in Paleo-Hebrew; vine leaf on small branch with tendril.
Meshorer 204; Sofaer 31–35; Hendin GBC 6, 6392; Hendin GBC 5, 1363.

Special thanks to @LONGINUS for the help in correctly attributing it. The house listed it as year 2 and I didn't notice the mistake. 

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, ambr0zie said:

One does not simply forget the day when a Brutus coin enters the album. I didn't at least. 

A coin I recently acquired but I don't think will have its own thread. I like it and it was a type I wanted to acquire, but I do not intend to specialize in this area. 

image.png.aea7babc632f0704ee27b8bae454e02a.png

15 mm, 1,52 g.
Judaea, Jerusalem. Jewish War Ӕ prutah. Dated year 3 = 68-69.
שלוש שנת (Year three) in Paleo-Hebrew, amphora with broad rim and two handles / ציון ת[ו]חר (The
freedom of Zion) in Paleo-Hebrew; vine leaf on small branch with tendril.
Meshorer 204; Sofaer 31–35; Hendin GBC 6, 6392; Hendin GBC 5, 1363.

Special thanks to @LONGINUS for the help in correctly attributing it. The house listed it as year 2 and I didn't notice the mistake. 

Nice! I believe the year 3 prutah coins are scarcer.

• Yes 2

A recent auction win Im very fond of, sorry the attribution is in German, but think you'll get the gist!

I've only recently started trying to pick up Hellentistic coins, thought they were always out of my price range and after a bit of watching and patience have found a few my budget can stretch to.

ASIA, SYRIA, SELEUCIS & PIERIA., SELEUKEIA,  Tetradrachm 100/99 BC
Kopf der Stadttyche r. mit Mauerkrone und Schleier.
Rs: Blitz auf Kissen, das auf einem geschmückten Stuhl liegt. Jahresangabe 10. Alles in Kranz. Cohen, DCA 697, 10. 14.87g, Schöne Tönung. Rs. min. Doppelschlag. fast vzAus alter bayerischer Sammlung. :

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 20.05.12.png

Edited by Tetradogma
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 9