Post your latest ancient!

CPK

22 minutes ago, Tetradogma said:

A recent auction win Im very fond of, sorry the attribution is in German, but think you'll get the gist!

I've only recently started trying to pick up Hellentistic coins, thought they were always out of my price range and after a bit of watching and patience have found a few my budget can stretch to.

ASIA, SYRIA, SELEUCIS & PIERIA., SELEUKEIA,  Tetradrachm 100/99 BC
Kopf der Stadttyche r. mit Mauerkrone und Schleier.
Rs: Blitz auf Kissen, das auf einem geschmückten Stuhl liegt. Jahresangabe 10. Alles in Kranz. Cohen, DCA 697, 10. 14.87g, Schöne Tönung. Rs. min. Doppelschlag. fast vzAus alter bayerischer Sammlung. :

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 20.05.12.png

Really nice, from Gorny?

• Like 1

Just picked this coin up from the last Heritage feature sale. In my research, I discovered a past sale that was not listed in the auction. It is ex Ars Classica 3/14/1921 Lot 1602 Very happy to have it!

ATTICA. Athens. Ca. 2nd-1st centuries BC. AR tetradrachm (30mm, 16.47 gm, 11h). NGC Choice XF 5/5 - 2/5, graffito. New style coinage, ca. 98/7 BC. Demetrius, Agathipus, and Phi-, magistrates. Head of Athena right, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet decorated with a vine scroll, Pegasus springing right above upturned cheek flap, protomes of five horses on visor / Α-ΘΕ / ΔH-MH / TPI-OΣ / AΓA / ΘIΠ / ΠOΣ / ΦI, owl standing facing on overturned amphora inscribed with E (month); pilei in right field, ΠE below, all within olive wreath. Thompson 905. HGC 4, 1602. Clearly defined details with hints of rosy toning beneath the deeper patina. ex Ars Classica 3/14/1921 Lot 1602

image.gif.6cd249ff503b0fd965258001d2c447df.gif

• Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 7

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, filolif said:

Just picked this coin up from the last Heritage feature sale. In my research, I discovered a past sale that was not listed in the auction. It is ex Ars Classica 3/14/1921 Lot 1602 Very happy to have it!

ATTICA. Athens. Ca. 2nd-1st centuries BC. AR tetradrachm (30mm, 16.47 gm, 11h). NGC Choice XF 5/5 - 2/5, graffito. New style coinage, ca. 98/7 BC. Demetrius, Agathipus, and Phi-, magistrates. Head of Athena right, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet decorated with a vine scroll, Pegasus springing right above upturned cheek flap, protomes of five horses on visor / Α-ΘΕ / ΔH-MH / TPI-OΣ / AΓA / ΘIΠ / ΠOΣ / ΦI, owl standing facing on overturned amphora inscribed with E (month); pilei in right field, ΠE below, all within olive wreath. Thompson 905. HGC 4, 1602. Clearly defined details with hints of rosy toning beneath the deeper patina. ex Ars Classica 3/14/1921 Lot 1602

Nice new style Tet!

• Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, filolif said:

A beautiful coin, with an excellent discovered provenance!

(I also like the way you do the fading GIF. )

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I was sure that my new provincial coin is a Nero, but something was wrong with the legend, this force me to find the right attribution  :

Antioch, Seleucis and Pieria

Domitian, as Caesar, Æ Semis , AD 69-79. , 22 mm / 6.1 g

DOMITIANVS CAESAR, laureate head to left / Large SC within laurel wreath. McAlee 403c; RPC II 2017

Struck under Vespasian in Rome for circulation in Seleucis and Pieria

image.jpeg.14de887e6b38ec6f3689493d739321da.jpeg

• Like 13

I won four coins from Roma Auction today. I was stuck at home due to snow (could not blow leaves) Hopefully it will melt away tomorrow.

Here is win #2

Mysia/ Kyzikos

EL Hekte ND (500-450BC)

Kyzikos Mint

obv: Prowling Lion/ Tunny Fish below

rev: Incuse Quadripartite Square

2.62g.     13mm.       .563

Von Fritze 83   SNG BnF 212   SNG Von Aulock 1187/88  Boston MFA 1443  Traité II 2748

ex: Vilmar Numismatics

4001.446.4_1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I got in a beautiful little denarius a few weeks ago. There is a lot to love about this coin!

SeptimiusSeverusdenariusNeptune.jpg.55e55a802a27093b0d963060ccc174d4.jpg

Septimius Severus (AD 193-211)
AR Denarius (19.71mm, 3.70g, 12h)
Rome mint. Struck AD 209
Obverse: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head of Septimius Severus right
Reverse: P M TR P XVII COS III P P, Neptune standing left, foot on rock, right hand resting on upper leg, left hand holding long trident
References: RIC IV 228, RCV 6346
Ex Mark Salton Collection (1914-2005)

First of all, the absolute pristine condition, which is not too hard to find with Severan denarii but is pleasing nonetheless. I like the classic Septimius Severus portrait complete with curly hair and forked beard. The reverse features Neptune, god of the sea, holding his trident. I seem to recall that this may be a reference to Severus' sea voyages during the time of the Caledonian conquest.

I also love when the strike is centered enough, and the flan large enough, to register a complete dotted border. The reverse's border is complete, the obverse 99% so. This coin was evidently well-struck from good dies.

The coin has a beautiful cabinet tone, with hints of iridescence and gorgeous mint luster, difficult to catch in the photo.

Another thing to like: the coin weighs an impressive 3.70 grams - as much as a full weight early Augustan denarius! The mint quality standards under the Severans were notoriously lax, and one can occasionally find heavyweight specimens like this one, but they are definitely out of the ordinary and something special.

And to top it off, this coin (according to the dealer) came from the famous Mark Salton Collection. Salton (born Max Schlessinger) came from a long line of established German coin dealers, going back to the early 1800's. His father, Felix Schlessinger, ran a coin dealership until he was imprisoned and murdered by the Nazis during the Holocaust; Max and his brother managed to escape, eventually settling in America. Their story is a fascinating one - you can read more about it here.

The coin came with Salton's hand-written tag:

salton_tag_obv..jpg.11c9726b66c8d0b9f632391b1836038d.jpg

salton_tag_rev.jpg.52b1c8296178cff1fa17c34e84fdb959.jpg

I wouldn't mind your opinions on this, by the way. As far as I know the only thing I have to go on is the dealer's word for it. I did do some digging and found the coin had sold in a group lot earlier this year by Fritz Rudolf Künker - 6/24/2023 (Auction 390 eLive, lot 3373 (part). I believe Künker auctioned off much of the Salton Collection upon the death of Lottie Salton (Mark's wife) in 2020.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

• Benefactor

Nero, by a neck.

This coin arrived today with a couple of others from my UAE source.  I've seen some long necks portrayed on Roman coinage, notably some of Claudius, but this is the first truly long neck that I've seen on an Alexandria tetradrachm for Nero, who has a massive one.

Nero (54-68 AD), BI tetadrachm, Alexandria, Year 11 (64-65 AD).

Köln 168-9 RPC I 5280

12.54 grams

Obverse: Radiate head of Nero right.

Reverse:  Draped bust right of Poppaea.

D-CameraNero54-68ADBItetAlexandriaYear11(64-65AD)Kln168-9RPCI528012.54g11-10-23.jpg.5a6227ee654ebceb319281f2bf4bdd19.jpg

• Like 11
  • Gasp 2
  • Mind blown 1

Today something "Greek" - or rather from Bithynia - with a nice head I think...

PRUSNG6878.png.5547782f8860f09056db3d4ceec849ec.png

Prusias I Cholos; Reign: Kingdom of Bithynia; Mint: Bithynia; Date: 228/185 BC; Nominal: Tetradrachm; Material: Silver; Diameter: 34mm; Weight: 16.90g; Reference: HGC 7, 614; Reference: Waddington 9b; Reference: Jameson 1387; Reference: SNG von Aulock 6878; Obverse: Diademed head of Prusias with short beard, right; Inscription: -; Translation: -; Reverse: Zeus standing front, head to left, crowning the king's name with his right hand and holding long scepter in his left; in inner left field, thunderbolt above two monograms; Inscription: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΡΟΥΣΙΟΥ; Translation: Basileos Prousiou; Translation: King Prusias.

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 6
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor

Surprisingly, perhaps, this is my first Divus Augustus Imperial coin. (I did already have a couple of Roman Alexandrian tetradrachms, neither of which looks very much like him.) This is the less expensive of the two most common types, the other being the one with the "PROVIDENT" reverse.

Divus Augustus (issued by Tiberius), AE As, AD 34-37, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate head of Augustus left, DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER / Rev. Winged thunderbolt upright between large S – C across left and right fields. RIC I Tiberius 83; BMCRE I Tiberius 157-158 (ill. Pl. 26 no. 4); Sear RCV I 1791 (ill. p. 352); Cohen, Augustus 249. 28 mm., 11.47 g. Purchased Nov. 2023 from Kirk Davis, Claremont, CA, Catalogue No. 82, Fall 2023, Lot 65 (ill. p. 15), ex York Coins (Antony Wilson), Red Hook, NY, No. R6189, retail purchase Oct. 2013 (see https://web.archive.org/web/20131206225713/http://yorkcoins.com/augustus.htm for listing).

The Kirk Davis photo:

DivusAugustusAsThunderboltreverseKirkDavisCat.82Fall2023No.65RIC83SearRCVI1791.jpg.667bc7682d77cb2f9ea5c1ef5a9cc377.jpg

The York Coins photo from 2013 via the Wayback Machine; see https://web.archive.org/web/20140313072156im_/http://yorkcoins.com/images/R6189x2x1s.jpg :

DivusAugustusAsThunderboltreverseYorkCoinsimage2013.jpg.7fa440b9638d46fb52023262fc49824b.jpg

Is it my imagination, or does the legend on the obverse somehow look more worn than it did a decade ago? I'm very happy with the coin; just wondering. Maybe it's just the photos.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Thinking 1

43 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Is it my imagination, or does the legend on the obverse somehow look more worn than it did a decade ago? I'm very happy with the coin; just wondering. Maybe it's just the photos.

At first I thought they were two different coins. But the trick is that the second image simply has a higher pixel density. Then the image is even smaller - and the optical illusion arises that the second coin (legend) is sharper. But if you make the second picture extra large - the advantage disappears very quickly and both coin pictures are identical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I made a Trajanus snapper with a legend error. On the obverse instead of the correct legend "IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P" there is the legend "IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TP P COS V P P". Nice. I also found the coin beautiful in general. So I couldn't say no and bought it.

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus; Reign: Trajanus; Mint: Rome; Date: 107 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.12g; Reference: BMC 250; Reference: Cohen 571; Reference: Woytek 231b; Reference: RIC II Trajan 226; Pedigree: Dorotheum Auctionhouse since 1707 Vienna, Austria (Auction November 2023, Lot 40); Pedigree: Gerhard Herinek Numismatik Vienna, Austria (must before the year 1999, as the purchase price of ATS 1350 is stated in Austrian shillings); Obverse: Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped on left shoulder, right; Inscription: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TP[sic!] P COS V P P; Translation: Imperator Traiano Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae; Translation: Imperator, of Trajan, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation; Reverse: Trophy of two shield, two spears, and sword set on a stump; Inscription: S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI; Translation: Senatus Populusque Romanus Optimo Principi; Translation: The senate and the Roman people to the best of princes. 

trajantrophy.png.27dc2941a781c112bf2591a77328fc03.png

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 4

I find the period - historically speaking - of Caesar's civil war against the Pompeians with Pompey the Great, Cato and Metellus Scipio simply fascinating. The Battle of Pharsalos, the Battle of Thapsus or the Battle of Munda. Of course, one must not forget - we / I see this today from the comfort of our 21st century sofas. Back then, this meant slaughter and murder with many thousands of victims in the most terrible agonies. Nevertheless, I have a great interest in this period of the civil war - despite all the fascination, one should not forget the suffering that these (and other) civil wars have left behind for soldiers and the population (to this day).

MV5BZGQ5N2ZlOTctZTcxMi00OGNlLWIxYjQtZjA5
HBO Serie "Rome" - left Metellus Scipio, right Cato

But nevertheless - partly because of the fascination, here is my latest denarius of Metellus Scipio. As Cato said in the Rome series, when Metellus and others wanted to distribute the spoils over Caesar before the battle? "Do not distribute the bear's hide before it has been killed!". It is historically true that Metellus Scipio was already arguing with Domitius Ahenobarbus and Lentulus Spinther about the office of Pontifex Maximus for the time after the expected victory against Caesar before the Battle of Pharsalus.

Quintus Caecilus Metellus Pius ScipioReign: Roman Republic, Civil War; Mint: Military mint, uncertain, North Africa, probably near Thapsus; Date: 47/46 BC; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.5mm; Weight: 4.09g; Reference: Sydenham 1046; Reference: Babelon Caecilia 47; Reference: Crawford RRC 459/1; Pedigree: CNG Classical Numismatic Group, USA, Auction 171, Lot 258 (22. August 2007); Pedigree: From the Karl Sifferman Collection; Pedigree: From the St. George Collection; Obverse: Head of Jupiter right, laureate, bearded; above and below, inscriptions. Border of dots; Inscription: Q METEL PIVS; Translation: Quintus Metellus Pius; Reverse: African elephant walking right; above and in exergue, inscriptions; Inscription: SCIPIO IMP; Translation: Scipio Imperator; Translation: Emperor Scipio.

METSCRRC459.jpg.c3ce597e48fe4c7caec397180916d24a.jpg

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 16

My latest ancient: 
Sicily. Syracuse. Philistis, wife of Hieron II (274-216 BC). AR 16 Litrai-Tetradrachm, c. 240-218/5 BC. Obv. Diademed and veiled head left; grain ear to right. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΑΣ / ΦΙΛΙΣΤΙΔΟΣ. Nike driving quadriga right; crescent above; to right, KIΣ; below horses, grain ear. HGC 2 1554; SNG ANS 882; BAR Issue 65; CCO 71 (D17/R48). AR. 13.61 g. 27.00 mm. Superb example in exceptional state of preservation. Lovely old cabinet tone with golden hues around the devices. Old collector label. Minor metal flaw on reverse. Good EF.

Provenance: March 11, 1933 Mario Ratto Lot 54

image00206.jpg

Mario Ratto-1933-0311-54.png

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 7
  • Mind blown 1
  • Shock 1

• Benefactor
On 11/16/2023 at 6:33 AM, Prieure de Sion said:

I find the period - historically speaking - of Caesar's civil war against the Pompeians with Pompey the Great, Cato and Metellus Scipio simply fascinating. The Battle of Pharsalos, the Battle of Thapsus or the Battle of Munda. Of course, one must not forget - we / I see this today from the comfort of our 21st century sofas. Back then, this meant slaughter and murder with many thousands of victims in the most terrible agonies. Nevertheless, I have a great interest in this period of the civil war - despite all the fascination, one should not forget the suffering that these (and other) civil wars have left behind for soldiers and the population (to this day).

MV5BZGQ5N2ZlOTctZTcxMi00OGNlLWIxYjQtZjA5
HBO Serie "Rome" - left Metellus Scipio, right Cato

But nevertheless - partly because of the fascination, here is my latest denarius of Metellus Scipio. As Cato said in the Rome series, when Metellus and others wanted to distribute the spoils over Caesar before the battle? "Do not distribute the bear's hide before it has been killed!". It is historically true that Metellus Scipio was already arguing with Domitius Ahenobarbus and Lentulus Spinther about the office of Pontifex Maximus for the time after the expected victory against Caesar before the Battle of Pharsalus.

Quintus Caecilus Metellus Pius ScipioReign: Roman Republic, Civil War; Mint: Military mint, uncertain, North Africa, probably near Thapsus; Date: 47/46 BC; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.5mm; Weight: 4.09g; Reference: Sydenham 1046; Reference: Babelon Caecilia 47; Reference: Crawford RRC 459/1; Pedigree: CNG Classical Numismatic Group, USA, Auction 171, Lot 258 (22. August 2007); Pedigree: From the Karl Sifferman Collection; Pedigree: From the St. George Collection; Obverse: Head of Jupiter right, laureate, bearded; above and below, inscriptions. Border of dots; Inscription: Q METEL PIVS; Translation: Quintus Metellus Pius; Reverse: African elephant walking right; above and in exergue, inscriptions; Inscription: SCIPIO IMP; Translation: Scipio Imperator; Translation: Emperor Scipio.

METSCRRC459.jpg.c3ce597e48fe4c7caec397180916d24a.jpg

A beautiful specimen! My example may be my favorite coin from the Imperatorial era (not that I have a great many to choose from!):

Roman Republic, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio, 47/46 BCE, N. Africa, Utica (provincial capital 30 mi. NW of site of Carthage) or mobile military mint traveling with Scipio’s camp [see Sear Imperatorial (CRI), infra at p. 34]. Obv. Laureate head of Jupiter right, Q. METEL around to right, PIVS in exergue (PI ligate)/ Rev. African elephant walking right, SCIPIO above, IMP in exergue. Crawford 459/1, Sear Imperatorial (CRI) 45 (pp. 33-34) [David Sear, The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators 49-27 BC (1998)], RSC I Caecilia [Babelon] 47 (ill. p. 21), Sear RCV I 1379 (ill. p. 262), RBW Collection 1601 (ill. p. 337), BMCRR Africa 1, Claire Rowan, From Caesar to Augustus (c. 49 BC - AD 14), Using Coins as Sources (Cambridge 2019) at pp. 44-45 & Fig. 2.22. 19.5 mm., 3.78 g. Purchased from Germania Inferior Numismatics, Netherlands, Dec. 2021.*

image.png.5b9e4965b7433814f6d5b84099563046.png

*Issued by Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio (ca. 95-46 BCE), a great-great-great-grandson of Scipio Africanus [see Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintus_Caecilius_Metellus_Pius_Scipio], and also a member of the Caecilii Metelli family by testamentary adoption [id.]. He issued this coin as the commander-in-chief of the remaining Pompeian forces in North Africa after Pompey’s defeat at Pharsalus and subsequent assassination, leading up to their defeat by Caesar at the Battle of Thapsus (in present-day Tunisia) on 6 Feb. 46 BCE. In CRI at p. 34, Sear states as follows about this coin: “Both stylistically and in volume this coinage stands apart from the rather limited issues in Scipio’s name which can safely be attributed to the provincial capital of Utica (nos. 40-43). The inescapable conclusion is that this type, which is in the sole name of the commander-in-chief, is a product of the military mint operating within the security of Scipio’s camp. It would appear to belong to the latter stages of the campaign as the Pompeian army was moving around the province prior to being enticed into the fatal engagement at Thapsus.” 

See Metellus Scipio’s biography in Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th edition, Vol. XVIII, pp. 258-259 (1911):

“QUINTUS CAECILIUS METELLUS PIUS SCIPIO, son of P. Scipio Nasia, was adopted by [Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius (d. ca. 64 BCE), issuer of Crawford 374/1 in 81 BCE, through the latter's will.]. He was accused of bribery in 60 B.C., and defended by Cicero, to whom he had rendered valuable assistance during the Catilinarian conspiracy. In August 52, he became consul through the influence of [his son-in-law] Pompey, who had married his daughter Cornelia [as his fifth wife. Pompey was Cornelia's second husband; her first, the son of Crassus, died at Carrhae.].  In 49 [Metellus Scipio] proposed that Caesar should disband his army within a definite time, under pain of being declared an enemy of the state. Afte the outbreak of the civil war, the province of Syria was assigned to him, and he was about to plunder the temple of Artemis at Ephesus when he was recalled by Pompey. He commanded the centre at Pharsalus, and afterwards went to Africa, where by Cato's influence he received the command. In 46 he was defeated at Thapsus; while endeavoring to escape to Spain he fell into the hands of P. Sittius, and put himself to death. His connexion with two great families gave him importance, but he was selfish and licentious, wanting in personal courage, and his violence drove many from his party.”

Clare Rowan discusses Metellus Scipio and his coinage, including this type, at length at pp. 42-46 of her book (see citation above):

“After the defeat at Pharsalus and Pompey's death in Egypt in 48 BC, opposition to Caesar continued in Africa under the command of Metellus Scipio, who had previously commanded forces in Syria. Along with other Pompeian commanders, Scipio was subjected to criticism by the Caesarian side -- in The Civil War Caesar attacked their legitimacy, noting that Scipio (and others) did not wait for the ratification of the appointments by the assembly and left Rome without taking the appropriate auspices, amongst other irregularities (Caes. BCiv. 1.6.6-7). Caesar wrote ‘all rights, divine and human, were thrown into confusion.’ Whether Caesar's accusations are true or not, we find a clear response to them on Scipio's coinage, which display an inordinate emphasis on Scipio's offices, and their legitimacy. . .  [Citing, among other things, obverse references to Jupiter as "underlining Scipio's divine support."]. . . .[Discussion of Scipio's other coins omitted.] Th[e] combination of familial history and contemporary politics can also be seen on Fig. 2.22 [illustration of Crawford 459/1, this type], which has a reverse decorated with an elephant accompanied by the legend SCIPIO IMP. Although one might be tempted to see this as a 'reply' to Caesar's elephant (Fig. 2.1, Crawford 443/1), there is little to support this hypothesis. The elephant had been a symbol of the Metelli since the victory of L. Caecilius Metellus over Hasdrubal at Panormus during the First Punic War in 250 BC, and elephants had previously appeared on the coinage of several moneyers from the family. [See Crawford 262/1, Crawford 263/1a-1b, Crawford 269/1, and Crawford 374/1] . . . . Indeed, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius [Scipio's father by testamentary adoption] . . . released an issue displaying an elephant with the initials of his name in the exergue: Q.C.M.P.I. (the ‘I’ referring to his title as imperator).” [See Crawford 374/1]: [insert photo]

See also, e.g., Crawford Vol. I at p. 287, explaining the significance of depictions of elephants to the Caecilii Metelli family, recalling the victory of L. Caecilius Metellus, Cos. 251, over Hasdrubal at Panormus in 250 BCE, and the capture of Hasdrubal’s elephants.

Rowan continues at pp. 45-46: 

“Scipio may have been using an ancestral type in keeping with Republican tradition. Nonetheless, the elephant was a topical motif, particularly since Casear's own elephant issue [Crawford 443/1] was very large, and so others may have interpreted the image within the competing claims of the civil war (particularly if they didn't have an intimate knowledge of Roman elite family symbols). Since the issue was struck in Africa, the image might also have been interpreted as a reference to the elephants of King Juba I, who supported Scipio against Caesar (Dio 43.3.5-4.1). Juba himself released coins with an elephant on the reverse (Fig. 2.24), and so any users of Scipio's currency in Africa may have seen the elephant as a local symbol rather than (or in addition to) a reference to the Roman general.

Metellus Scipio had a strong client base in Africa, assuring him local support. Literary sources mention prophecies that a Scipio could not be defeated in the region (Suetonius, Julius Caesar 59; Plutarch, Life of Julius Caesar 52.2, Dio 42.57.5.)  Pro-Caesarian literature attempted to blacken Scipio by suggesting that the commander and his supporters were deferring to Juba, going so far as to suggest that Scipio had promised the province of Africa to the king [citations omitted]. It is clear that we cannot take this tradition at face value, but Scipio's coinage does reveal that he actively sought and/or commemorated local support.”

In CRI, at pp. 24-25, David Sear takes a highly negative view of Metellus Scipio:

"The guiding spirit in the anti-Caesarian movement [in Africa after Pharsalus] was Marcus Porcius Cato, later known as Cato Uticensis, the great-grandson of the famous Cato the Censor. . . . The universal respect which Cato commanded amongst his contemporaries enabled him to arbitrate in the rivalries and disputes which arose between the military leaders of the Pompeian party. Probably the general who came closest to matching Caesar's genius as a strategist was Titus Labenius, formerly Caesar's legate in Gaul though subsequently an ardent supporter of Pompey and his cause. But Labenius was a man of relatively low birth, his family having originated from the Picenium region of Italy, and this counted against him in the aristocratic hierarchy of the Pompeian leadership. Merely because of this brilliant tactician's lack of an illustrious ancestry Cato foolishly insisted on passing him over and bestowing the overall command on Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio. Although certainly the possessor of an awe-inspiring name, and formerly the father-in-law of Pompey himself, this did not, unfortunately for his cause, compensate for his total unfitness to confront an opponent of the calibre of Caesar.  [List of other leaders of the Pompeian army in Africa -- as well as its "powerful, though unstable, ally, King Juba of Numidia, who, "if he could be counted on, added greatly to the manpower ranged against Caesar and could even contribute a large contingent of war-elephants" -- is omitted, as is Sear's detailed discussion of the Battle of Thapsus itself.]  [After the defeat,] [o]f the Pompeian leaders only Sextus Pompey, Labienus, and Varus survived to join Gnaeus Pompey in Spain. Scipio fled by ship but was overtaken by enemy forces and took his own life rather than surrender and become Caesar's prisoner." [See pp. 26-27 for discussion of suicides of Juba and Cato.]

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

And now a newly-arrived coin of my own.

I have quite a few Trajan denarii commemorating important historical events, primarily the Dacian Wars (including the Danuvius type, Trajan's column, and a variety of captive Dacians/personifications of Dacia), as well as the annexation of Arabia (coins with camels), etc. But, by contrast to a lot of other emperors, until now I had nothing honoring members of his family: he had no children, and I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a decent Plotina or Marciana or Matidia. So that leaves Divus Trajan Pater, and I've had my eye out for a long time for an example that appealed to me. I finally decided to bid on this one. I was fortunate to win it for what I thought was a reasonable price (225 Euros), and it arrived in the mail this afternoon. In hand, as sometimes happens, it looks better than the photo; it has a particularly nice tone. And one can actually discern a face on Trajan Pater, which isn't true of many examples I've seen.

Trajan AR Denarius, ca. AD 115 (Sear). Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder, IMP TRAIANVS AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI PP / Rev. Trajan’s deified father, Marcus Ulpius Traianus, bareheaded and togate, sits left on a curule chair, feet on stool, holding patera in extended right hand and straight scepter upright in left hand, DIVVS PATER – TRAIAN. RIC II Trajan 252, RSC II Trajan 140 (ill. p. 88), BMCRE III Trajan 500 (p. 101) (ill. Pl. 17 no. 20), Sear RCV II 3323 (ill. p. 124). 19 mm., 2.57 g. Purchased from Gorny & Mosch, Munich, Germany, Online Auction 299, 7 Nov. 2023, Lot 3693.*

image.png.872fc79b45415d2de0e2500209b9ae9d.png

*See commentary at Sear RCV II p. 124: “Trajan’s father, M. Ulpius Traianus, came from Italica in Baetica (southern Spain) and commanded Legio X Fretensis under Vespasian during the Jewish War. He was later granted patrician rank by the Emperor Vespasian and honoured with a consulship, probably in AD 70. Governor of Syria for several years in the mid-70s, the highly successful public career of Trajan Senior culminated with the prestigious proconsulship of Asia during the reign of Titus. His death probably occurred around AD 100, but his deification and appearance on the Imperial coinage did not occur until late in the reign of his son, the Emperor Trajan.”

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2

This was one of the group that I bought from HJB's pick bin last week at the Baltimore Whitman Coin Show. I just got around to getting pictures done last night. I really liked the look of Christ and saw plenty of legends so I figured it would be an easy ID. I was wrong. Though I think I have narrowed it down to being a Bulgarian trachy. I'm not 100% on this though. I was hoping that maybe @quant.geek or @TheTrachyEnjoyer could help. I found a nice picture of some legends that quant posted a few months ago but I'm not sure any of mine match. They look similar though.

slazzer-edit-image(16).png.baca991c0d8ca65e77e34665a2f65797.png

• Like 14
  • Thinking 1

On 11/18/2023 at 2:13 PM, Furryfrog02 said:

This was one of the group that I bought from HJB's pick bin last week at the Baltimore Whitman Coin Show. I just got around to getting pictures done last night. I really liked the look of Christ and saw plenty of legends so I figured it would be an easy ID. I was wrong. Though I think I have narrowed it down to being a Bulgarian trachy. I'm not 100% on this though. I was hoping that maybe @quant.geek or @TheTrachyEnjoyer could help. I found a nice picture of some legends that quant posted a few months ago but I'm not sure any of mine match. They look similar though.

slazzer-edit-image(16).png.baca991c0d8ca65e77e34665a2f65797.png

C8888A3B-00E6-42B2-9BB1-D57E2D207622.jpeg.784169cdeba2b410ce9f78d4b3fa846d.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1