Post your latest ancient!

CPK

I love the Koson Stater... I couldn't say no again 🙂

The Koson Gold Stater is surrounded by many - to this day - unsolved mysteries. It is assumed that the gold stater was used to pay the higher-ranking officers for the campaign of Brutus and Cassius against Octavian and Marc Antony. The coins contain Roman iconography: on the obverse, there is an eagle standing on a scepter and holding a wreath in their claw (inspired by the silver denarii issued by Pomponius Rufus); the reverse contains three men dressed in togas, two of them holding an axe on the shoulder (possibly inspired by the silver denarii issued by Marcus Junius Brutus in 54 BC).

You can also read the latest information on the state of knowledge here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=koson 

King of the Scyths, probably Military mint for Marcus Iunius Brutus; Reign: Geto-Dacians Epoch, Roman Republic, Civil War; Mint: Probably Olbia (?), King of the Scyths; Date: ca. 44/42 BC; Nominal: Stater; Material: Gold; Diameter: 20mm; Weight: 8.38g; Reference: RPC I 1701A; Reference: BMC Thrace 208; Reference: Bahrfeldt, Berliner Münzblätter 1912, 366–81; Obverse: Procession of Konsul Marcus Iunius Brutus and two lictors, left; the foremost and hindmost carrying an axe over shoulder. Monogram in the field; Inscription: KOSON ΟΛΒ; Translation: Koson Olbia (?); Reverse: Eagle standing, left, on sceptre, holding wreath in on claw.

brutuskoson.png.04b99a1047af59d4cd1976fcdd9e3e3a.png
  • Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 6
  • Mind blown 1

Picked this up at relatively cheap cost and received it this morning. It is the first horse drawn carriage I own that is not  a Republican coin.

Severus Alexander. AD 222-235. Æ As (24mm,  9.34 g.)
Rome mint, Special emission, AD 229.
IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, laureate head right, / P M TR P VIII COS III P P, emperor in triumphal quadriga right, holding eagle-tipped sceptre, SC in ex. Cohen 379. RIC IV 498a, Sear 8080
Very scarce

Wjc2t4XHRsS6wG9F7QDxip5Nm8Zt3K-removebg-preview(1).png.c6b85d3c46d8fa0424c365ec14912fe2.png

• Like 11

On 11/20/2023 at 8:19 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

I love the Koson Stater... I couldn't say no again 🙂

The Koson Gold Stater is surrounded by many - to this day - unsolved mysteries. It is assumed that the gold stater was used to pay the higher-ranking officers for the campaign of Brutus and Cassius against Octavian and Marc Antony. The coins contain Roman iconography: on the obverse, there is an eagle standing on a scepter and holding a wreath in their claw (inspired by the silver denarii issued by Pomponius Rufus); the reverse contains three men dressed in togas, two of them holding an axe on the shoulder (possibly inspired by the silver denarii issued by Marcus Junius Brutus in 54 BC).

You can also read the latest information on the state of knowledge here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=koson 

King of the Scyths, probably Military mint for Marcus Iunius Brutus; Reign: Geto-Dacians Epoch, Roman Republic, Civil War; Mint: Probably Olbia (?), King of the Scyths; Date: ca. 44/42 BC; Nominal: Stater; Material: Gold; Diameter: 20mm; Weight: 8.38g; Reference: RPC I 1701A; Reference: BMC Thrace 208; Reference: Bahrfeldt, Berliner Münzblätter 1912, 366–81; Obverse: Procession of Konsul Marcus Iunius Brutus and two lictors, left; the foremost and hindmost carrying an axe over shoulder. Monogram in the field; Inscription: KOSON ΟΛΒ; Translation: Koson Olbia (?); Reverse: Eagle standing, left, on sceptre, holding wreath in on claw.

brutuskoson.png.04b99a1047af59d4cd1976fcdd9e3e3a.png

Congrats, was going to bid on this one myself but I was hoping it'd stay a touch lower. I see you already managed to sell it on Vcoins too, or at least it's reserved.

• Yes 1

• Benefactor

I've been looking for a somewhat earlier new style owl over the past few years.  My experience has been that the middle period owls are relatively plentiful compared to the early and late period issues.  The problem is finding a decent example and within budget.  

I was finally able to locate one example, and while the die work is really nice, it does have corrosion on the obverse and a harsh cleaning for good measure.  The reverse is much nicer, albeit despite the die shift, which is not too severe.

Athens, new style owl ,155/4 BC. Grain ear on reverse.

Thompson 50

16.48 grams

D-CameraAthensnewstyleowl155-4BCgrainearreverseThompson5016.48grams11-21-23.jpg.3f50b898786efa6b607ab82cc2b82003.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 6

• Benefactor

Here's a coin that I think is quite unusual.  I photographed it before, with unsatisfactory results, so here is a re-shoot which is much better.

Otacilia Severa, 244-249 AD, AE 27, Coele-Syria, Damascus.  Astarte on reverse.

17.55 grams

D-CameraOcaciliaSeveraAE27Coele-SyriaDamascusTyche-Astarte244-49AD17.55g11-21-23.jpg.d3bd79d68d744cf57f15472527c7ad8e.jpg

Despite the rough surfaces the reverse is fairly well defined, with Astarte seated above, facing left, with five figures giving homage, one to the immediate left and four more below, something of an Astarte fan club I'd guess. 

Astarte is an interesting female deity, worshipped in the East, notably in Syria, but in other regions as well.  Originally a Canaanite and Phoenician deity, her worship became associated with fertility, sexuality, war and hunting, spanning from the Bronze Age to the Classical period.  While this coin well post dates the latter period, it is clear that Astarte continued to play an important religious role in Syria, well into the period of the Roman Empire.

For more information about Astarte, here's a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astarte

Edit:  I looked this coin up on the RPC website and found this information:  

RPC Volume VIII

Unassigned ID 26755

"For the reverse, in upper register, Fortuna seated l., on rock, holding fillet or diadem and cornucopia; in upper l. field, ram leaping l., head r.; before, Marsyas standing r., holding wineskin and raising hand; in lower register, four Tychai: the outer pair with hands raised towards Fortuna of Damascus; l. of centre figure holding up uncertain object; r. of centre figure sacrificing over altar."

There are 11 examples of this type, six of which are in the core collections.

So, does the reverse depict Astarte or Fortuna?  The leaping ram, obscure on this coin, is an interesting element and one that I would not associate with Fortuna.  Besides, Astarte is a far more interesting goddess!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

I posted these 2 but I’m very proud and happy with them. I’ve cleaned both of them over the last 2 weeks or so.

Justinian 1 (527-565)
Salona Mint
Half Follis
3.72g
19mm
SB 331

Apparently these were lightweight issues prior to the Reconquest of Rome and were meant to be somewhat of IOUs to the army until they could be exchanged for full weight coins. Which were roughly 3x-4x heavier at the time.

IMG_5301.jpeg.b28f078278c07e11ec1b550a205d1792.jpegIMG_5302.jpeg.3282399621e719e7ba1b70a8faee78e2.jpeg

Very difficult coin to photograph. Notoriously poor obverse strikes on these make capturing a meaningful portrait difficult.

This coin came with an extremely thick find patina, unlike some of these which have a nice hardened patina underneath, this came with a crumble, which made differentiating dirt from patina, very difficult. Some areas had to be left untouched as to not lose all detail.

In the end, a lovely reverse, and an acceptable for type obverse (with some dirt).

Justinian 1 (527-565)
Half Follis
Minted 540-550
Ravenna Mint
20mm 5.01g
Sb 328c

IMG_5330.jpeg.9d20f8c048fd8990b3588ae5b6f985a2.jpegIMG_5331.jpeg.48bb6c650c9434bf030977197e9449c9.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

A worn, smooth Sestertius of Faustina II.

I don't know why, but I like these smooth coins that have probably been in circulation for 100 years or more.

10.jpg.8d0e76489f920d29ed2e525f79b88620.jpg

Faustina II

Obverse: DIVA FAVSTINA PIA, Bust of Faustina II, draped, hair elaborately waved and fastened in a low chignon at back of head.

Reverse: AETERNITAS S C, Aeternitas, veiled, draped, standing left, holding globe surmounted by phoenix in extended right hand and leaning left arm on column.

AE, 29mm, 20.46g

Ref.: RIC 1693

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor

This gold dinar came out of the Roma auction last July, Auction XXVIII, lot 419.  This coin replaces one that I sold over 30 years ago.  Given enough centuries, I do get around doing these things!

Kushan Empire, Vasudeva I, AV dinar, Balkh, Bactria, circa 190-230 AD.

MK 528 (O1a,R34, Vasudeva II)

8.12 grams

D-CameraKushanEmpVasudevaIAVdinarBalkhBaktriac190-230ADMK528(O1aR34VasudevaII)8.12g11-22-23.jpg.8153ae2df51201bbe8d7e38ca891cab1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 5

1 hour ago, robinjojo said:

This gold dinar came out of the Roma auction last July, Auction XXVIII, lot 419.  This coin replaces one that I sold over 30 years ago.  Given enough centuries, I do get around doing these things!

Kushan Empire, Vasudeva I, AV dinar, Balkh, Bactria, circa 190-230 AD.

MK 528 (O1a,R34, Vasudeva II)

8.12 grams

D-CameraKushanEmpVasudevaIAVdinarBalkhBaktriac190-230ADMK528(O1aR34VasudevaII)8.12g11-22-23.jpg.8153ae2df51201bbe8d7e38ca891cab1.jpg

beautiful coin! we don't see enough kushans on here. you got it for a really good price too.

• Like 5

Received a silver Denarius of Trajan today with a fantastic golden iridescent patina... 🙂 

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus; Reign: Trajanus; Mint: Rome; Date: 108 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.34g; Reference: MIR 279b; Reference: Cohen 86; Reference: Woytek 279b; Reference: RIC II Trajan 119; Obverse: Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped on left shoulder, right; Inscription: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P; Translation: Imperator Traiano Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate; Translation: Imperator, of Trajan, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power; Reverse: Aequitas, draped, seated left on chair without back, holding scales in right hand and cornucopiae in left; Inscription: COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC; Translation: Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae, Senatus Populusque Romanus, Optimo Principi; Translation: Consul for the fifth time, father of the nation. The senate and the Roman people. The best of princes. 

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2

Another lady I like in a denomination I have come to appreciate, at 3.50g 18mm, this one is on the tail end of the small denomination series ca. 225:

4751023_1698139878.jpg.beca02eeebaf494c58760904498cdf8e.jpg

Iulia Mamaea 3.50g 18mm unit

Despite the wear and the deep earthen patina, this issue has some really fine engraving, almost on par with the denarii of Iulia and Alexander at this time. Was also surprised to see only 8 specs in RPC, did not expect it to be that scarce.

• Like 17

50 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Received a silver Denarius of Trajan today with a fantastic golden iridescent patina... 🙂 

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus; Reign: Trajanus; Mint: Rome; Date: 108 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.34g; Reference: MIR 279b; Reference: Cohen 86; Reference: Woytek 279b; Reference: RIC II Trajan 119; Obverse: Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped on left shoulder, right; Inscription: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P; Translation: Imperator Traiano Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate; Translation: Imperator, of Trajan, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power; Reverse: Aequitas, draped, seated left on chair without back, holding scales in right hand and cornucopiae in left; Inscription: COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC; Translation: Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae, Senatus Populusque Romanus, Optimo Principi; Translation: Consul for the fifth time, father of the nation. The senate and the Roman people. The best of princes. 

Wow, that is gorgeous! 🤩

• Yes 1

I wasn't able to retrieve a package from the mail carrier in time yesterday, so it's sitting at the post office waiting until after the holiday. Until I'm able to pick it up, this Tiberius II Constantine qualifies as my latest ancient. Though it's arguably not too bad for the type, I occasionally have some small pangs of regret that I bought it. Perhaps I should have waited for a better example? Oh well, it wasn't too expensive, so it's not a tragedy.

578_to_582_TiberiusIIConstantine_AE_Follis_01.png.8d347ded111b5ffb6d6349eaf8998a21.png578_to_582_TiberiusIIConstantine_AE_Follis_02.png.7c3b51aeabb33710b1341dea5ae1f008.png
Tiberius II Constantine. 578-582 AD. Æ Follis (37mm, 16,64g, 12h). Constantinople mint. Dated year 5 (578/9 AD); Obv: d M TIb CONS-TANT PP AVC, crowned facing bust in consular robes, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre; Rev: Large M; cross above, ANNO to left, u to right; CONE. MIBE 25; Sear 430.

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 14
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, ewomack said:

I wasn't able to retrieve a package from the mail carrier in time yesterday, so it's sitting at the post office waiting until after the holiday. Until I'm able to pick it up, this Tiberius II Constantine qualifies as my latest ancient. Though it's arguably not too bad for the type, I occasionally have some small pangs of regret that I bought it. Perhaps I should have waited for a better example? Oh well, it wasn't too expensive, so it's not a tragedy.

578_to_582_TiberiusIIConstantine_AE_Follis_01.png.8d347ded111b5ffb6d6349eaf8998a21.png578_to_582_TiberiusIIConstantine_AE_Follis_02.png.7c3b51aeabb33710b1341dea5ae1f008.png
Tiberius II Constantine. 578-582 AD. Æ Follis (37mm, 16,64g, 12h). Constantinople mint. Dated year 5 (578/9 AD); Obv: d M TIb CONS-TANT PP AVC, crowned facing bust in consular robes, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre; Rev: Large M; cross above, ANNO to left, u to right; CONE. MIBE 25; Sear 430.

I can't say I'm very familiar with this period of coinage, but it looks like a nice example to me! 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Doesn't the post office leave a slip?  One can then sign and have it redelivered, any time Mon through Saturday.  I did that a lot, during my record collecting days.

My local post office rarely leaves those slips of paper anymore ever since the pandemic began, and when they do, and I fill them out, the package usually doesn't ever get redelivered. So I have to go pick it up. The good news is that "signature required" instructions by the sender are almost never followed anymore, and even though the tracking history will still say "left with individual," that translates to "left in mailbox." They don't even try to get a signature.

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

The last one before weekend 😉 

Marcus Antonius Gordianus Sempronianus Romanus Africanus; Reign: Gordianus I AfricanusMint: Rome; Date: 238 AD; Nominal: Sestertius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 30mm; Weight: 18.52g; Reference: BMC 5; Reference: Cohen 6; Reference: RIC IV Gordian I 9; Pedigree: Busso & Peus Numismatik Frankfurt, Germany (Auction 405, Lot 2647, 02. November 2011); Obverse: Bust of Gordian I, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right; Inscription: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG; Translation: Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus Africanus Augustus; Translation: Imperator, Caesar, Marcus Antonius Gordianus Africanus, Augustus; Reverse: Providentia, draped, standing left with legs crossed, leaning left arm on column, holding wand in right hand over globe and cornucopiae in left hand; Inscription: PROVIDENTIA AVGG S C; Translation: Providentia Augustorum Senatus Consultum; Translation: Foresight of the Augustii. Decree of the senate.

gordianusafricanus.jpg.f8bdd730acd1124b3ad61ab8ed3493e8.jpg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 4

8 hours ago, DonnaML said:

My local post office rarely leaves those slips of paper anymore ever since the pandemic began, and when they do, and I fill them out, the package usually doesn't ever get redelivered. So I have to go pick it up. The good news is that "signature required" instructions by the sender are almost never followed anymore, and even though the tracking history will still say "left with individual," that translates to "left in mailbox." They don't even try to get a signature.

Sadly, the "signature required" requirement is still alive and well in my area and that's why I have to go pick up the package. I've tried the re-delivery option and if the carrier can't get a live signature then they try 2 more times and it ends up back at the post office. I live in a condo and we have no door buzzers (we removed them for security reasons), but the carrier said I could just leave my mobile number in the box and he claimed he would call me if he needed a signature. But I have yet to receive a call. So, that's my situation, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Where I live we have a centralized system of mailboxes for each residence so you have to go to the mailboxes to get your mail using a key. Signature required slips are left in the mailbox and there is never an attempt to re-deliver, so I have to go to the post office to retrieve these items, including coin shipments that require a signature. Other coins without a required signature are usually just left in the mailbox by the mail carrier.

• Like 1