Post your latest ancient!

CPK

3 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I love these coins from Bactria - they have a very special style. Fantastic. Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge in this area.

Agreed, I think greco-bactrians have some of the best style out there. Unfortunately that is part of why it's typically so expensive. There is a lack of historical records on the history of the region, so it's interesting how much we have to piece together from numismatic evidence, for better or worse.

• Like 2

AR Denarius 18mm. 3.84g. Rome mint

Head of young Bacchus r., wearing ivy wreath; PANSA behind.

Ceres walking r., holding a torch in each hand, plow to r.; C.VIBIVS C.F.C.N behind.

RSC I Vibia 16; Craw. 449/2

Good VF. Lustrous fields with attractive iridescent multicolor toning. A bit bright under toning. A bit off-center with some porosity at edge.

Ex. Civitas Galleries

B3459B71-C8CA-44A1-A5B9-ACDE32E9ADCA.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor
On 11/30/2023 at 9:54 AM, Cordoba said:

With this, I now have a full set of menander's indic weight tets. this one seems to have traces of overstriking on the obverse. 

image.png.a7d435246f08bf91ad62c6206581094d.png

BAKTRIA, Indo-Greek Kingdom. Menander I Soter. Circa 155-130 BC. AR Tetradrachm (24mm, 9.72 g, 12h). Diademed heroic bust left, seen from behind, wearing aegis and brandishing spear / Athena Alkidemos advancing left; monogram to inner right. Bopearachchi 8A; SNG ANS 745-6; HGC 12, 180

Fine example of the type and a most interesting state - the Greek speaking Bactrians of Afghanistan and Northern  India

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

AURELIAN (270-275). Antoninianus. Serdica.

Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG.
Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: ORIENS AVG / XXIS.
Sol standing left, raising hand and holding globe, treading down one of two captives seated on the ground.

RIC V online 2653.

Weight: 4.27 g.
Diameter: 23 mm.

Think this one will look quite pleasing with the toning! 😄

aurelian.png

• Like 17
  • Heart Eyes 2

I just bought 21 coins in the latest Savoca Blue 185 auction, this one is the crown jewel for sure, I am in love with the portrait. 

Amisos, Pontos. 85-65 B.C. AE 25mm, 8.47g

Obverse: Head Mithradates VI as Dionysos right, wreathed with ivy

Reverse: AMIΣOY, Cista mystica with panther skin, diadem and thyrsos. Monogram to left. SNG BMC 1205; Sear Greek 3640

Pontos, Amisos, Dionysos.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

As always, I like ancient coins with animals on the reverse -- especially animals famous in myth and legend!

Antoninus Pius AE As, AD 143-144, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III / Rev. Great White Sow crouching right under oak tree, suckling four young piglets, two more at right, IMPERA – TOR II above, S C in exergue. RIC III 733, BMCRE IV Antoninus Pius 1624, Sear RCV II 4302 (ill. p. 237), Cohen 450. 28.5 mm., 14.83 g. Purchased Nov. 24, 2023  from Zuzim, Inc., Brooklyn, NY.* 

image.png.e51fb4876df7b4342d9cc8ee93da0bf7.png

image.png.8a3e386ace0bfaada120972cb3accc69.png

*The large sow suckling her piglets refers to the myth of Aeneas’s landing at and founding of Lavinium with the Penates, and the subsequent dream of the great white sow giving birth to 30 piglets, which foretold the founding by Aeneas’s son Ascanius, 30 years later, of the city of Alba Longa [“Long White”] in the Alban Hills, where the soil was more fertile and where Romulus and Remus were born. See John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London 1990), entry for “Aeneas” at p. 6: “The scene is defined by the presence of a sow and piglets; this illustrates the story of the dream sent to Aeneas, which told him that when he came across a white sow with thirty piglets they would mark the spot where thirty years later [his son] Ascanius would found a city, Alba Longa, from which Rome itself was eventually to be founded.” Subsequently, Aeneas found the sow under an oak tree and sacrificed it. See also this excerpt from a translation of the Aeneid, Book VIII, beginning at line 26 (from https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/VirgilAeneidVIII.php):

Bk VIII: 26-47 Aeneas’s Dream of Tiberinus

“It was night, and through all the land, deep sleep gripped weary

creatures, bird and beast, when Aeneas, the leader, lay down

on the river-bank, under the cold arch of the heavens, his heart

troubled by war’s sadness, and at last allowed his body to rest.

Old Tiberinus himself, the god of the place, appeared to him,

rising from his lovely stream, among the poplar leaves

(fine linen cloaked him in a blue-grey

mantle, and shadowy reeds hid his hair),

Then he spoke, and with his words removed all cares:

‘O seed of the race of gods, who bring our Trojan city

back from the enemy, and guard the eternal fortress,

long looked-for on Laurentine soil, and in Latin fields,

here is your house, and your house’s gods, for sure

(do not desist), don’t fear the threat of war,

the gods’ swollen anger has died away.

And now, lest you think this sleep’s idle fancy, you’ll find

a huge sow lying on the shore, under the oak trees,

that has farrowed a litter of thirty young, a white sow,

lying on the ground, with white piglets round her teats,

That place shall be your city, there’s true rest from your labours.

By this in a space of thirty years Ascanius

will found the city of Alba, bright name." 

There’s also an old 2019 thread at Coin Talk discussing this type and the associated myth; https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-great-sow-of-alba-longa.343315/. The thread’s author  suggests that the type was issued (together with several others) to commemorate the 900th anniversary of Rome’s founding, but given the date assigned to the coin, I’m somewhat skeptical of the theory: the 900th anniversary would have been in AD 148, not AD 143/144.

This is an unusually heavy example, weighing more than any other specimen I found on acsearch.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 18
  • Heart Eyes 4

34 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

As always, I like ancient coins with animals on the reverse -- especially animals famous in myth and legend!

Antoninus Pius AE As, AD 143-144, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III / Rev. Great White Sow standing right under oak tree, suckling four young piglets, two more at right, IMPERA – TOR II above, S C in exergue. RIC III 733, BMCRE IV Antoninus Pius 1624, Sear RCV II 4302 (ill. p. 237), Cohen 450. 28.5 mm., 14.83 g. Purchased Nov. 24, 2023  from Zuzim, Inc., Brooklyn, NY.* 

image.png.e51fb4876df7b4342d9cc8ee93da0bf7.png

image.png.8a3e386ace0bfaada120972cb3accc69.png

*The large sow suckling her piglets refers to the myth of Aeneas’s landing at and founding of Lavinium with the Penates, and the subsequent dream of the great white sow giving birth to 30 piglets, which foretold the founding by Aeneas’s son Ascanius, 30 years later, of the city of Alba Longa [“Long White”] in the Alban Hills, where the soil was more fertile and where Romulus and Remus were born. See John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London 1990), entry for “Aeneas” at p. 6: “The scene is defined by the presence of a sow and piglets; this illustrates the story of the dream sent to Aeneas, which told him that when he came across a white sow with thirty piglets they would mark the spot where thirty years later [his son] Ascanius would found a city, Alba Longa, from which Rome itself was eventually to be founded.” Subsequently, Aeneas found the sow under an oak tree and sacrificed it. See also this excerpt from a translation of the Aeneid, Book VIII, beginning at line 26 (from https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/VirgilAeneidVIII.php):

Bk VIII: 26-47 Aeneas’s Dream of Tiberinus

“It was night, and through all the land, deep sleep gripped weary

creatures, bird and beast, when Aeneas, the leader, lay down

on the river-bank, under the cold arch of the heavens, his heart

troubled by war’s sadness, and at last allowed his body to rest.

Old Tiberinus himself, the god of the place, appeared to him,

rising from his lovely stream, among the poplar leaves

(fine linen cloaked him in a blue-grey

mantle, and shadowy reeds hid his hair),

Then he spoke, and with his words removed all cares:

‘O seed of the race of gods, who bring our Trojan city

back from the enemy, and guard the eternal fortress,

long looked-for on Laurentine soil, and in Latin fields,

here is your house, and your house’s gods, for sure

(do not desist), don’t fear the threat of war,

the gods’ swollen anger has died away.

And now, lest you think this sleep’s idle fancy, you’ll find

a huge sow lying on the shore, under the oak trees,

that has farrowed a litter of thirty young, a white sow,

lying on the ground, with white piglets round her teats,

That place shall be your city, there’s true rest from your labours.

By this in a space of thirty years Ascanius

will found the city of Alba, bright name." 

There’s also an old 2019 thread at Coin Talk discussing this type and the associated myth; https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-great-sow-of-alba-longa.343315/. The thread’s author  suggests that the type was issued (together with several others) to commemorate the 900th anniversary of Rome’s founding, but given the date assigned to the coin, I’m somewhat skeptical of the theory: the 900th anniversary would have been in AD 148, not AD 143/144.

This is an unusually heavy example, weighing more than any other specimen I found on acsearch.

Very nice!

• Thanks 1

After years I bought again a coin for my "head" collection.

af.jpg.41ce190dec700f3b741c004784d35b51.jpg

Annia Faustina, Augusta

PHRYGIA. Hierapolis.

Obv.: Diademed and draped bust of Annia Faustina to right; ΑΝΝΙΑ ΦΑΥϹΤЄΙΝΑ ϹЄΒ D.

Rev. Tyche standing front, head to left, holding patera in her right hand and cornucopiae containing infant Plutos with her left; to left, flaming altar., ΙЄΡΑΠΟΛЄΙΤΩΝ ΝЄΩΚΟΡΩ/Ν T

AE,  9.55g, 26.39mm

Ref.: Johnston 35-7. RPC VI online 5444

• Like 13
  • Thinking 1

Ok, that's mean now. I saw this coin yesterday at an auction house while my girlfriend was sitting next to me on the couch. It has to be said that my girlfriend chases me around the house screaming from time to time, waving her arms wildly and her eyes wide open - this is natural when we are having fun together. So I told her yesterday - look, that's you, if you want to annoy me and run after me! You are a small Celtic deity - the personification of the woman running around the house, screaming and waving her arms. It seems that the Celts used to worship you. Yesterday I got a beating for that, weird. Nevertheless, I had to buy this coin at auction today.

Celtic Coins, Central Europe, West Germany (Hessen / Rheinland); Reign: Germania, Anonymous "Tanzendes Männlein" (Dancing man); Mint: Ubii, Ubier; Date: ca. 60/40 BC; Nominal: Quinarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 14mm; Weight: 1.80g; Reference: DT 206; Reference: DLT 9396; Reference: Flesche 408; Provenance: Numismatica Ars Classica Zurich, Switzerland (Auction 6, Lot 1047, 11 March 1993); Provenance: Noonans Mayfair London, Great Britain; Provenance: From the M. Bridgewater Collection; Obverse: Dancing man, holding torque in one hand and serpent in the other which bites towards his face; Reverse: Horse right with spiky mane, head reverted, all within wave-pattern border.

ubii.png.81827998960c2466b567df7b00a8dc93.png
  • Like 15
  • Big Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Ok, that's mean now. I saw this coin yesterday at an auction house while my girlfriend was sitting next to me on the couch. It has to be said that my girlfriend chases me around the house screaming from time to time, waving her arms wildly and her eyes wide open - this is natural when we are having fun together. So I told her yesterday - look, that's you, if you want to annoy me and run after me! You are a small Celtic deity - the personification of the woman running around the house, screaming and waving her arms. It seems that the Celts used to worship you. Yesterday I got a beating for that, weird. Nevertheless, I had to buy this coin at auction today.

Celtic Coins, Central Europe, West Germany (Hessen / Rheinland); Reign: Germania, Anonymous "Tanzendes Männlein" (Dancing man); Mint: Ubii, Ubier; Date: ca. 60/40 BC; Nominal: Quinarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 14mm; Weight: 1.80g; Reference: DT 206; Reference: DLT 9396; Reference: Flesche 408; Provenance: Numismatica Ars Classica Zurich, Switzerland (Auction 6, Lot 1047, 11 March 1993); Provenance: Noonans Mayfair London, Great Britain; Provenance: From the M. Bridgewater Collection; Obverse: Dancing man, holding torque in one hand and serpent in the other which bites towards his face; Reverse: Horse right with spiky mane, head reverted, all within wave-pattern border.

ubii.png.81827998960c2466b567df7b00a8dc93.png

Gorgeous coin, I love the Celtic stuff. Look at the stylization on the little dude and especially the horse! It’s downright modern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

This is a coin that I've kept an eye on at my local coin shop.  Last weekend I decided now is as good a time as any to pick it up, so here it is. It is somewhat crude, but the centering on both sides is decent. 

Philip II, 246-249 AD, sestertius, Rome.

RIC IV.3-267A  

27.5mm,15.76 grams

Obverse: Bust of Philip II, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right.

Reverse: Philip the Arab and Philip II, seated left, on a curule chair, extending right hand; Philip the Arab, seated right on a curule chair, holds short scepter in left hand.

D-CameraPhilipIIsestertiusRomePhilIandPhilIIseatedrevRICIV.3-267A27.5mm15.76g12-5-23.jpg.844672072ced8ba2c3dbc9e7076417c6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

I recently picked up two common Fausta coins to pair up with the one I had (eyes looking upward). The first one has Fausta's eyes looking forward. The one below has a very different hairstyle, similar to the type seen on Helena coins. 🙂

image.jpeg

Fausta AE Follis. 324-326 A.D.
Obv: Draped bust of Fausta right "FLAV MAX FAVSTA AVG"
Rev: Spes standing left, holding two children "SPES REIPVBLICA", ".DSIS." in exergue
2.74g, 19mm
RIC 205
Aegean Numismatics, Nov 2023.

23-18 Fausta.jpg
Fausta AE Follis. Thessalonica 326-328 A.D.
Obv: diademed bust right. FLAV MAX FAVSTA AVG; 
Rev: SPES REI PVBLICAE; In ex: SMTSB; Fausta, stg.l., holding two infants in her arms
19mm, 3.96 gram
RIC 162
Gert Boersema Ancient Coins, Nov 2023.

Edited by happy_collector
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2

Had a pretty successful day at Noonans auction!

1. The Colkirk Hoard of Late Roman Silver Coins.Roman Imperial Coinage, Arcadius (383-408), Siliqua, Milan, 395-402, d n arcadi-vs p f avg, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right, 'Eastern' Pteryges, rev. virtvs ro-manorvm, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding sceptre and Victoriola on globe, md ps in exergue, 1.32g/12h (MC 393, this coin; Hoxne 707 [C]; RIC X p.321, 1227; RSC 27b).
  2. Roman Republican Coinage, Punic wars, Sicily, Denarius, 209-08 BC
  3. Roman Imperatorial Coinage, The Caesarians, Julius Caesar, Denarius, January-February 44, caesar imp, laureate head right, star behind, rev. p sepvllivs [macer], Venus standing left holding Victoriola and sceptre set on star, 3.48g/4h (Craw. 480/5b; CRI 106a; RSC 41).
  4. Roman Imperial Coinage, Nero (54-68), As Caesar, Denarius, Lugdunum, 51, bare-headed and draped bust of the young Caesar right, rev. eqvester ordo principi ivvent in four lines inscribed on shield, 3.46g (RIC Claudius 79; RSC 97).

5. Anglo-Saxon, 9th-10th century, bronze strap ends

image00162.jpg

image00194.jpg

image00237.jpg

image00263.jpg

image00591.jpg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 3

• Benefactor
4 hours ago, robinjojo said:

This is a coin that I've kept an eye on at my local coin shop.  Last weekend I decided now is as good a time as any to pick it up, so here it is. It is somewhat crude, but the centering on both sides is decent. 

Philip II, 246-249 AD, sestertius, Rome.

RIC IV.3-267A  

27.5mm,15.76 grams

Obverse: Bust of Philip II, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right.

Reverse: Philip the Arab and Philip II, seated left, on a curule chair, extending right hand; Philip the Arab, seated right on a curule chair, holds short scepter in left hand.

D-CameraPhilipIIsestertiusRomePhilIandPhilIIseatedrevRICIV.3-267A27.5mm15.76g12-5-23.jpg.844672072ced8ba2c3dbc9e7076417c6.jpg

Looks like the same type as the one I bought from Carthago Numismatics that finally arrived after a long and mysterious delay in Customs:

image.png.21661fd20bc9c02eaeee63eafd31c047.png

It definitely shows the figures better than the similar denarius.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Victrix said:

Had a pretty successful day at Noonans auction!

1. The Colkirk Hoard of Late Roman Silver Coins.Roman Imperial Coinage, Arcadius (383-408), Siliqua, Milan, 395-402, d n arcadi-vs p f avg, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right, 'Eastern' Pteryges, rev. virtvs ro-manorvm, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding sceptre and Victoriola on globe, md ps in exergue, 1.32g/12h (MC 393, this coin; Hoxne 707 [C]; RIC X p.321, 1227; RSC 27b).
  2. Roman Republican Coinage, Punic wars, Sicily, Denarius, 209-08 BC
  3. Roman Imperatorial Coinage, The Caesarians, Julius Caesar, Denarius, January-February 44, caesar imp, laureate head right, star behind, rev. p sepvllivs [macer], Venus standing left holding Victoriola and sceptre set on star, 3.48g/4h (Craw. 480/5b; CRI 106a; RSC 41).
  4. Roman Imperial Coinage, Nero (54-68), As Caesar, Denarius, Lugdunum, 51, bare-headed and draped bust of the young Caesar right, rev. eqvester ordo principi ivvent in four lines inscribed on shield, 3.46g (RIC Claudius 79; RSC 97).

5. Anglo-Saxon, 9th-10th century, bronze strap ends

image00162.jpg

image00194.jpg

image00237.jpg

image00263.jpg

image00591.jpg

Wow! An excellent assortment! Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Looks like the same type as the one I bought from Carthago Numismatics that finally arrived after a long and mysterious delay in Customs:

image.png.21661fd20bc9c02eaeee63eafd31c047.png

It definitely shows the figures better than the similar denarius.

Yes, they're the same type but different dies.  Your coin is really nice!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MrMonkeySwag96 said:

IMG_0802.jpeg.483422c4857883c2469f128d1482e92e.jpeg

Karia. Rhodes. Circa 305-275 BC. AR Didrachm (6.46g, 19mm). Obv.: head of Helios three-quarters right. Rev.: ΡΟΔΙΟΝ, rose with bud on right, grape cluster in left field, E-Y flanking stem. SNG Helsinki 454; Ashton 158; Weber 6716. VF.

How gorgeous, I have a very nice Hemidrachm with a similar design but a didrachm would be amazing. Such a wonderful design with the rose.

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Here's a recent acquisition from MA Shops.

Antoninus Pius, BI tetradrachm, Alexandria, year 3, (139-140 AD).

Milne 1638

25 mm, 13.42 grams

Obverse: AVT K T AIL ADP ANTWNINOC. bare and draped head at right.
Reverse: L TPI TOV. Eirene standing left, holding corn ears and caduceus.
D-CameraAntoninusPiusBItetAlexandriayear3(139-140AD)Eirene13.42g25mmMilne163812-6-23.jpg.ab7f231bdde452baeffd985a499370d6.jpg

• Like 13

I won this hot mess a couple of days ago and it arrived today. 
It is my first Byzantine 3/4 Follis. I have been wanting one for ages but haven't been able to find one that was in my price range....well this one was won for only$6.50 and I'm sure you all can see why 😛  I am fairly certain it was struck by Phocas due to the reginal year 5 on the reverse. I'm not 100% sure what the host coin is. On the XXX side, if you rotate it a quarter turn clockwise, you can see a cross and a few letters.

Despite its ugliness, I think it's pretty cool. It is clearly a 3/4 follis that was over struck on a full sized 40 nummi. Debasement and inflation in action! I wonder what the people using this coin thought about the fact that they could actually see their money losing value. 

It doesn't hold a candle to any of the examples that @Valentinian posted here but I think it fits well into my collection of Byzantine misfits. Maybe one day I will get an example where you can actually see who the emperor was 😛

slazzer-edit-image(4).png.4aea2759fecd5ffc678f850ca371e9b6.png

31mm/10.75g

Here is the roatated par where you can make out the cross in the center and what looks like maybe a TH above. That doesn't track with any other folles legend I can think of though. If anyone can help with that, I'd greatly appreciate it!

slazzer-edit-image(7).png.bb30fbd06c474849dad945fe0cc9c1d7.png

• Like 11
  • Thinking 1

I won this Octavius denarius this week. It's not a rare type, you get it quite often. Octavian is here firmly cementing his connection to the now 'divine' Julius Caesar, thinly disguised as the more traditional fulfilment of pietas, in the minds of the Roman people. The bearded portrait on the obverse, the typical attitude of mourning for the male Roman citizen, recalls the assassination of his patron and adoptive father eight years before, but it is with the reverse type that the message is made clear. Depicting a structure that had not yet been built was a calculated move from Octavian that in part renewed his commitment to the project, which had been agreed six years earlier. Finally dedicated in 29 BC, construction having started only after the Battle of Actium, the Temple of Divus Julius was built on the site in the forum where Caesar's body had been cremated fifteen years previously.

The special reason why I also bought this denarius is that it is illustrated in Friedhelm Prayon's publication "Projektierte Bauten auf römischen Münzen" (Hausmann-Festschrift 1982, p. 332) on plate 71.6

https://www.amazon.de/Praestant-Interna-Festschrift-Hausmann-Geburtstag/dp/3803018021

Unfortunately I don't have the book here yet, otherwise I could have included the extract here. I am a lover of "special" pedigrees. The historical background of a coin is of course always interesting - but I am also interested in the origin of a coin. The provenance also often has a story to tell.

Gaius Octavius, Gaius Iulius C. f. Caesar; Reign: Roman Republic, Civil War; Mint: mint moving with Octavian in central or southern Italy; Date: 36 BC; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.93g; Reference: Sydenham 1338; Reference: Babelon Julia 139; Reference: Crawford RRC 540/2; Provenance: Acquired from Hess AG, Lucerne, Switzerland in September 1970; Obverse: Head of Octavian, right, bearded. Border of dots; Inscription: IMP CAESAR DIVI F III VIR ITER R P C; Translation: Imperator Caesar Divi Filius Triumvir Iterum Rei Publicae Constituandae; Translation: The emperor Octavian son of the divine Caesar, triumvir for the second time for the restoration of the Republic; Reverse: Tetrastyle temple; within, figure wearing veil and holding lituus in right hand; on architrave, DIVO·IVL; within pediment, star; on left, lighted altar. Border of dots; Inscription: COS ITER ET TER DESIG; Translation: Consul Iterum et Tertium Designatus Divo Iulio; Translation: Consul for the second time and designated for the third time, to the divine Jules.

OCTCAERRC540.png.7ff583fbf2aeca4f4c7b428123b0c048.png

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Mind blown 1

A last denarius from the Civil War period today by Marcus Iunius Brutus and the editor Lucius Sestius - somewhere in Asia Minor, where Brutus and Cassius wander around with their legions and squeeze the regions... 🙂 

Quintus Caepio Brutus is the shortened name of the famous Caesar assassin Brutus, who was officially called Quintus Servilius Caepio Brutus after his early adoption into the Gens Servilia. The staunch republican fought against Caesar at the Battle of Pharsalus. After his defeat, however, he was pardoned and later even promoted by Caesar. He became governor of Gallia Cisalpina and in the fateful year 44 BC he became Praetor Urbanus and designated consul for the year 41 BC. After Caesar's assassination, Brutus and his followers travelled to the east of the empire and prepared for the decisive battle against Caesar's supporters. This coin designates Brutus as proconsul and refers to his last official office, which was initially confirmed to him by the Senate in the turmoil of 43 BC.

The proquaestor Lucius Sestius Quirinalis was responsible for minting the coins. He came from the plebeian Sestier family and was the only member of his family to appear on coins. He was the son of Publius Sestius, who had been tribune of the people in 57 BC and praetor in 53 BC. Twice his father was successfully defended by Cicero in politically ambitious trials; in the civil war he initially sided with Pompey, but switched to Caesar's side after Pharsalus. His son Lucius Sestius, in turn, was a supporter of Brutus and followed him to the East after Caesar's assassination. Sestius described himself as a proquaestor, perhaps an indication that he still held the quaestorship in Rome around 44 BC. After the Battle of Philippi, Sestius was pardoned by Octavianus and later even attained the suffect consulship under him for the year 23 BC (in this function he is also mentioned as the addressee in Horace's Odes).

The bust on the obverse of this coin shows Libertas, the emblematic symbol of the struggle against Caesar and his political heirs. The reverse image is interpreted as a reference to the pontificate of Brutus, which is symbolised by the axe and the simpulum. The tripod, however, is associated with the cult of Apollo and could be a reference to Lycia, where Apollo was always particularly honoured.

Marcus Iunius Brutus, Proconsul; Moneyer: Lucius Sestius Albanianus Quirinalis, Proquaestor; Reign: Roman Republic, Civil War; Mint: Military mint travelling with Brutus and Cassius in southwestern Asia Minor; Date: ca. spring / early summer 42 BC; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.61g; Reference: Sydenham 1290; Reference: Babelon Sestia 2; Reference: Babelon Junia 37; Reference: Crawford RRC 502/2; Pedigree: HD Rauch Numismatics Vienna, Austria (Auction 79, Lot 2256, November 2006); Obverse: Veiled and draped bust of Libertas to right, wearing pearl necklace; Inscription: L SESTI PRO Q; Translation: Lucius Sestius Pro Quaestor; Translation: Proquaestor Lucius Sestius [Albanianus Quirinalis]; Reverse: Tripod between sacrificial axe and simpulum; Inscription: Q CAEPIO BRVTVS PRO COS; Translation: Quintus Caepio Brutus Pro Consul; Translation: Proconsul Quintus Caepio Brutus.

Brutus.png.be3370cca70dd29c5f5e465f66d9ff7b.png

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 1