Post your latest ancient!

CPK

6 hours ago, Greekcoin21 said:

Recent arrival from the Milavic sale at Nomos.

Thrace, Phillippopolis. Caracalla. Bust right/ Helios striding Right. 32mm, 17.3g. V.F.

Ex. Edward J. Waddell stock. 

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

That's cool looking coin indeed.

5 minutes ago, Victrix said:

Another Caligula for the collection

Another Caligula.. 😄 another he says... 

Thats a fantastic example! Gratulation! Lovely typical Caligula portrait, detailed and sharp reverse, well centered, full legends at boot sides - and a fantastic patina color. Again, Gratulation!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 2

2 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Another Caligula.. 😄 another he says... 

Thats a fantastic example! Gratulation! Lovely typical Caligula portrait, detailed and sharp reverse, well centered, full legends at boot sides - and a fantastic patina color. Again, Gratulation!

Thanks for the nice words! Sadly there’s not much options when it comes to my 2 favourite emperors Caligula/Claudius in the affordable range in imperial silver. So I like to have a deep collection of their bronzes along with the Agrippa/Germanicus issues which I really like. Also on the look out for British imitations but no luck so far 😛

• Like 1

IMG_0759.jpeg.a32c57338ad1f9b5d0d38ac74b0bc8c4.jpeg

I love the this "spanish style" of Roman Bronze coins. I once had a very nice Caligula bronze from Caesaraugusta - now it has become a Tiberius. This dupondius from Caesaraugusta was issued in honour of the legions Legio IV Macedonica, Legio VI Hispaniensis (later surnamed Victrix under Nero) and Legio X Gemina. Veterans of IV Macedonica, VI Hispaniensis and X Gemina were among the first settlers in the Colonia Caesaraugusta (Saragossa) around 15 BC. At this time, the legions were deployed for extensive road and bridge construction work on the Via Augusta. The Muel Dam was also built by the legion.

Legio IV Macedonica was a legion of the Roman army that was formed in 48 BC by Gaius Iulius Caesar with Italian legionaries. It was disbanded by Emperor Vespasian in 70 AD. The legion's symbols were the bull and the capricorn (mythological figure: half ibex, half fish). In the summer of 44 BC, the legion was moved to Italy by Marcus Antonius. Legio IIII Macedonica joined Caesar's adopted son Octavian in 44 BC and initially fought with him on the side of the Senate in the Battle of Mutina during the Mutinian War against Marcus Antonius, then after the formation of the Second Triumvirate in 42 BC against Caesar's murderers in the Battles of Philippi. Octavian moved the legion back to Italy and deployed it in the winter of 41/40 BC in the Perusine War against Marcus Antonius' brother Lucius Antonius and finally again against Antonius in the naval battle of Actium in 31 BC. Octavian moved the legion to the Tarraconensis in 30 BC to take part in the Cantabrian War against the Cantabrians and Asturians. After Augustus' victory in 13 BC, the legion remained in the province and was stationed at Herrera de Pisuerga. The legionaries were also widely deployed in the civil administration of Iberia.

Legio VI Hispaniensis (later Victrix) was a legion of the Roman army that was raised by Octavian in 41 BC and existed until the early 5th century. The legion's emblem was probably a bull. It was a copy of the Legio VI Ferrata that served under Marcus Antonius and probably consisted in part of veterans of this legion, some of whom upheld the traditions of the Caesarian Ferrata. Legio VI had its first mission in Perusia in the same year and also fought in Sicily against Sextus Pompeius, who was disrupting Rome's grain supply from there. In 31 BC, she fought in the battle of Actium against Marcus Antonius. The following year it was stationed in Hispania Tarraconensis, where it took part in Augustus' Cantabrian War against the Cantabrians, which lasted from 29 BC to 19 BC. The legions VI Victrix and X Gemina were initially stationed together in an unknown camp in Asturias. Legio VI was later presumably transferred to León, while X Gemina was stationed in Petavonium (Rosinos de Vidriales). The name Victrix dates from the time of Nero.

Legio X was a legion of the Roman army. Because Caesar once gave the X Legion horses and used them as cavalry, as he did not trust the allied Gallic horsemen, it was also called Legio X Equestris ("tenth mounted legion"). Augustus renamed the legion Legio X Gemina ("tenth twin legion"). The legion's symbol was a bull. Legio X was first mentioned in 58 BC, when the Roman province of Gallia Narbonensis was threatened by the Helvetii. Initially, Gaius Iulius Caesar could only rely on this single legion, which was stationed near Geneva. In the Gallic War, Legio X Equestris played an important role in Caesar's military success; he himself described it as his favourite legion. After Caesar's assassination, the legion was reorganised by Lepidus in the winter of 44/43 BC and assigned to the army of Marcus Antonius. It fought for the triumvirs Augustus, Lepidus and Marcus Antonius in the Battle of Philippi against Caesar's murderers in 42 BC. The newly formed Legio X Gemina was stationed in Hispania Tarraconensis, where Augustus was preparing a campaign against the Cantabrians. It took part in the Cantabrian War from 29 BC to 19 BC.

The magistrate Marcus Porcius Cato mentioned here was a member of the gens Porcia and probably a descendant of the famous advocate of the republican state Marcus Porcius Cato the Younger, the fierce opponent of Gaius Iulius Caesar, who committed suicide in Utica in 46 BC. In 27 BC Marcus Porcius Cato was praetor and in the following year took part in the plot instigated by Lucius Aelius Seianus against the Roman knight Titius Sabinus, a supporter of Germanicus whom he hated. In addition to Cato, the praetors Lucius Lucanius Latiaris, Petillius Rufus and Marcus Opsius were also involved in the plot. Sabinus was then executed by order of Tiberius. The conspirators had misled Sabinus into making careless remarks about Tiberius and then denounced him in order to ingratiate themselves with the emperor and be rewarded with the consulship. While Lucanius and Opsius did not achieve their goal but were executed as supporters of Seian, Cato became suffect consul for the last part of the year 36 AD. He attained the office of curator aquarum for another month in 38 AD, but was then presumably also executed.

About the magistrate Lucius Vettiacus I didn’t find any informations.

RPC Online as Reference Coin: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/346

Tiberius Iulius Caesar Augustus; Magistrate: Marcus Cato, Lucius Vettiacus; Mint: Caesaraugusta, Tarraconensis Hispania; Date: 31/32 AD; Nominal: Dupondius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 32mm; Weight: 20.98g; Reference: RPC I 346; Obverse: Tiberius seated on curule chair, left; Inscription: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS PONT MAX TR POT XXXIII; Translation: Tiberius Caesar Divi Augusti Filius Augustus Pontifex Maximus Tribunicia Potestate Tricesima Tertia; Translation: Tiberius, Caesar, son of divine Augustus, emperor, high priest, Holder of tribunician power for the 33rd time; Reverse: Vexillum between two circular standards (radiate phalerae), each on a basis; Inscription: C C A M CATO L VETTIACVS IIVIR LEG IV LEG VI LEG X; Translation: Colonia Caesar Augusta, Marcus Cato Lucius Vettiacus Duovir, Legio IV (Macedonica), Legio VI (Hispaniensis), Legio X (Gemina).

• Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted · Supporter
33 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

IMG_0759.jpeg.a32c57338ad1f9b5d0d38ac74b0bc8c4.jpeg

I love the this "spanish style" of Roman Bronze coins. I once had a very nice Caligula bronze from Caesaraugusta - now it has become a Tiberius. This dupondius from Caesaraugusta was issued in honour of the legions Legio IV Macedonica, Legio VI Hispaniensis (later surnamed Victrix under Nero) and Legio X Gemina. Veterans of IV Macedonica, VI Hispaniensis and X Gemina were among the first settlers in the Colonia Caesaraugusta (Saragossa) around 15 BC. At this time, the legions were deployed for extensive road and bridge construction work on the Via Augusta. The Muel Dam was also built by the legion.

Legio IV Macedonica was a legion of the Roman army that was formed in 48 BC by Gaius Iulius Caesar with Italian legionaries. It was disbanded by Emperor Vespasian in 70 AD. The legion's symbols were the bull and the capricorn (mythological figure: half ibex, half fish). In the summer of 44 BC, the legion was moved to Italy by Marcus Antonius. Legio IIII Macedonica joined Caesar's adopted son Octavian in 44 BC and initially fought with him on the side of the Senate in the Battle of Mutina during the Mutinian War against Marcus Antonius, then after the formation of the Second Triumvirate in 42 BC against Caesar's murderers in the Battles of Philippi. Octavian moved the legion back to Italy and deployed it in the winter of 41/40 BC in the Perusine War against Marcus Antonius' brother Lucius Antonius and finally again against Antonius in the naval battle of Actium in 31 BC. Octavian moved the legion to the Tarraconensis in 30 BC to take part in the Cantabrian War against the Cantabrians and Asturians. After Augustus' victory in 13 BC, the legion remained in the province and was stationed at Herrera de Pisuerga. The legionaries were also widely deployed in the civil administration of Iberia.

Legio VI Hispaniensis (later Victrix) was a legion of the Roman army that was raised by Octavian in 41 BC and existed until the early 5th century. The legion's emblem was probably a bull. It was a copy of the Legio VI Ferrata that served under Marcus Antonius and probably consisted in part of veterans of this legion, some of whom upheld the traditions of the Caesarian Ferrata. Legio VI had its first mission in Perusia in the same year and also fought in Sicily against Sextus Pompeius, who was disrupting Rome's grain supply from there. In 31 BC, she fought in the battle of Actium against Marcus Antonius. The following year it was stationed in Hispania Tarraconensis, where it took part in Augustus' Cantabrian War against the Cantabrians, which lasted from 29 BC to 19 BC. The legions VI Victrix and X Gemina were initially stationed together in an unknown camp in Asturias. Legio VI was later presumably transferred to León, while X Gemina was stationed in Petavonium (Rosinos de Vidriales). The name Victrix dates from the time of Nero.

Legio X was a legion of the Roman army. Because Caesar once gave the X Legion horses and used them as cavalry, as he did not trust the allied Gallic horsemen, it was also called Legio X Equestris ("tenth mounted legion"). Augustus renamed the legion Legio X Gemina ("tenth twin legion"). The legion's symbol was a bull. Legio X was first mentioned in 58 BC, when the Roman province of Gallia Narbonensis was threatened by the Helvetii. Initially, Gaius Iulius Caesar could only rely on this single legion, which was stationed near Geneva. In the Gallic War, Legio X Equestris played an important role in Caesar's military success; he himself described it as his favourite legion. After Caesar's assassination, the legion was reorganised by Lepidus in the winter of 44/43 BC and assigned to the army of Marcus Antonius. It fought for the triumvirs Augustus, Lepidus and Marcus Antonius in the Battle of Philippi against Caesar's murderers in 42 BC. The newly formed Legio X Gemina was stationed in Hispania Tarraconensis, where Augustus was preparing a campaign against the Cantabrians. It took part in the Cantabrian War from 29 BC to 19 BC.

The magistrate Marcus Porcius Cato mentioned here was a member of the gens Porcia and probably a descendant of the famous advocate of the republican state Marcus Porcius Cato the Younger, the fierce opponent of Gaius Iulius Caesar, who committed suicide in Utica in 46 BC. In 27 BC Marcus Porcius Cato was praetor and in the following year took part in the plot instigated by Lucius Aelius Seianus against the Roman knight Titius Sabinus, a supporter of Germanicus whom he hated. In addition to Cato, the praetors Lucius Lucanius Latiaris, Petillius Rufus and Marcus Opsius were also involved in the plot. Sabinus was then executed by order of Tiberius. The conspirators had misled Sabinus into making careless remarks about Tiberius and then denounced him in order to ingratiate themselves with the emperor and be rewarded with the consulship. While Lucanius and Opsius did not achieve their goal but were executed as supporters of Seian, Cato became suffect consul for the last part of the year 36 AD. He attained the office of curator aquarum for another month in 38 AD, but was then presumably also executed.

About the magistrate Lucius Vettiacus I didn’t find any informations.

RPC Online as Reference Coin: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/346

Tiberius Iulius Caesar Augustus; Magistrate: Marcus Cato, Lucius Vettiacus; Mint: Caesaraugusta, Tarraconensis Hispania; Date: 31/32 AD; Nominal: Dupondius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 32mm; Weight: 20.98g; Reference: RPC I 346; Obverse: Tiberius seated on curule chair, left; Inscription: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS PONT MAX TR POT XXXIII; Translation: Tiberius Caesar Divi Augusti Filius Augustus Pontifex Maximus Tribunicia Potestate Tricesima Tertia; Translation: Tiberius, Caesar, son of divine Augustus, emperor, high priest, Holder of tribunician power for the 33rd time; Reverse: Vexillum between two circular standards (radiate phalerae), each on a basis; Inscription: C C A M CATO L VETTIACVS IIVIR LEG IV LEG VI LEG X; Translation: Colonia Caesar Augusta, Marcus Cato Lucius Vettiacus Duovir, Legio IV (Macedonica), Legio VI (Hispaniensis), Legio X (Gemina).

Cool type! 👍

• Thanks 1

This is a 2020 summer win, almost exactly to the date, but with a new (and I think) better pic:

1238262_15917746211.jpg.e9959f0d48199b6760567bfab387f7bb.jpg

Probus
AE22mm 3.29g billon antoninianus/aurelianus, minted at Lugdunum, August-September 282.
IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG; radiate, draped, cuirassed bust seen from rear.
COME - S AVG; Draped and helmeted Minerva standing left, holding olive branch in right hand and spear and shield in left hand. A in left field.
RIC V 115, Bastien 373

Last issue for Probus at Lugdunum/Lyon. 

Edited by seth77
  • Like 13

I got myself a “limes” denarius of Trajan as an impulse purchase. A reason why I bought this “limes” denarius is because I also own a silver denarius with the same reverse type:

56DF8860-1B63-4763-8A4E-681208E66E9B.jpeg.d8d1999693cb2474587184e29cae1eaf.jpeg

Roman Empire, Trajan 98-117, Base silver Limes Denarius 2.87g, 19mm Lauraete and draped bust of Trajan right "IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC" Genius standing left, holding a patera and grain ears. "PM TR P COS VI PP SPQR" RSC 276 type

Here is a comparison of the “limes” denarius (top) with the genuine silver denarius (bottom):

0D6537C3-9C7D-4DA4-A320-F69E8EAF1341.jpeg.73107744b34e12b36fdaa89feb6ea5ca.jpeg

• Like 10

Finally got around to getting this type. Unfortunate that the Scylla is somewhat flat but I still think it is a very appealing example.

image.jpeg.6b49305ea2b882199d273c21bf728845.jpeg

Roman Imperators. Sextus Pompey. AR Denarius. Military mint in Sicily(?), 42-40 BC. Pharos of Messana, surrmounted by statue of Neptune holding trident and standing on prow, [MAG·]PIVS - IMP·ITER / Scylla, PRA͡EF·CLAS·ET·O[RA͡E·M͡A͡RIT·EX·S·C] 18 mm, 3.73 g. Crawford 511/4a. Ex Münzhandlung Ritter, List 38, April 1995, Lot 512.

image.png.a6c01c0af79dedc66b90b5e1892dd802.pngimage.png.8d69f0ddd0250b70fc0fa23b1fe78322.png

BTW, should anyone have access to Ritter FPL 38 please let me know! Schaefer included clippings from the sale that included my coin but it can sometimes be a little hard to definitively work out his handwriting.

image.png.a6cfb3e60c2fe3630cafde918b2d05df.png

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 3

A new city from the Holy Land, Nysa-Scythopolis for Lucilla:

5770754_1719835067.jpg.fb85cf57427dbb051b5142e5d1017dd7.jpg
AE25mm 9.87g 
[ΛOΥΚΙΛΛΑ ΑΥΓOΥϹΤΑ]; draped bust of Lucilla r.
ΝΥϹ Τ ϹΚ [Τ ΕΛΕΥ Τ Π] / Θ - ΛϹ flanking the city Tyche, turreted standing, right, holding long sceptre and cornucopia, resting foot on swimming river god.

Like most of the coinage of Nysa-Scythopolis, this one is dated to local year 239 (175-6). Worn heavily. 

• Like 11

I have not pressed the "purchase" button on another coin at this time, so no new coins are on their way to me (which is usually the case when I post here). Given that, this Justinian II Follis from the rambunctious 8th century still remains my latest ancient. This one is pretty rough, and I deliberated about buying it for a long time. What remains of the portrait of Justinian II on the left eventually made me take the leap. It looks much better in hand, though its flaws become very obvious when magnified. In the end, it was affordable and extended my Byzantine pile from Anastasius I up to the second reign of Justinian II, or from 491  to 711. For those who don't know the story of Justinian II, it's a fascinating one. He ruled from 685 to 695, was overthrown, had his nose slit, then plotted revenge, returned to Constantinople through a water pipe, and retook the throne in 705. Supposedly he wore a golden nose over his slit nose when he returned. His obsession with revenge turned into a reign of terror and he was overthrown in 711. This was all part of the "Twenty Years Anarchy" that threw the Byzantine empire into quite a tizzy. Brutal, but fascinating.

705_to_711_JustinianII_AE_Follis_01.png.784dea55c63b71384ddee324231b1ef3.png705_to_711_JustinianII_AE_Follis_02.png.bbb31bfaf8a3a6e306aa884c1b12cc5a.png
Justinian II (705-711), second reign, Æ Follis, Constantinople, Obv: Legend obscure, crowned facing busts of Justinian and Tiberius, each wearing chlamys and holding patriarcal cross set on globe inscribed PAX; Rev: Large M, cross above, Γ below, CON in exergue; 19-20mm, 3.81g; Berk-806, MIB-43, DO-12c, Sear 1428

• Like 5

• Benefactor

Buying coins lately is very frustrating for me.  Most of what I need has doubled and more over the last year or so.  I got zero in the Leu auction (I had given up on them but decided to try once again).  So I figured maybe there would be some 'leftovers' available at CNG.  Not really, but I did get this one below.  It is a true gem in the rough.  Only superficially cleaned with a completely original patina (as far as I can tell), no smoothing or tooling.  These are getting hard to find these days, and honestly I think its worth twice what I paid:

WON Purchased $600

Bids: 17
TIMED AUCTION

Electronic Auction 566

CATEGORY
DESCRIPTION
Divus Antoninus Pius. Died AD 161. Æ Sestertius (33mm, 29.66 g, 12h). Commemorative issue. Rome mint. Struck under Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, AD 162. DIVVS ΛNTONINVS, bare head right / DIVO PIO, S C across field, column surmounted by statue of Pius holding eagle and scepter. RIC III 1269 (Aurelius); MIR 18, 46-6/10 (Aurelius); Banti 144; Elkins, Monuments Figure 135. Green patina, a patch of red on obverse. VF. Architectural reverse type.

Ex Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 475 (26 August 2020), lot 586.

The reverse depicts the column of the divine Antoninus Pius, the shaft and base of which survive. The latter, now in the Vatican, employs both classical and traditionally plebeian sculptural styles and marks an artistic transition in imperially sponsored monuments.

1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 2

My latest Germanicus ae as purchase struck onder his son Gaius (Caligula). I have arround 4 of them right now so I can be called a fanboy haha but it’s one of my favourite types. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2

I picked this one up in the most recent CNG feature auction - I got caught in a bidding war and ended up going well above my target price, but I really wanted it for a little imperatorial collection I'm putting together. 

IMG_6438a.jpg.d272872740cfe0a182ad7f377062008c.jpg

The Triumvirs. Mark Antony and Octavian. Spring-early summer 41 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.78 g, 11h). Ephesus mint; M. Barbatius Pollio, quaestor pro praetore. Bare head of Mark Antony right / Bare head of Octavian right. Crawford 517/2; CRI 243; Sydenham 1181; RSC 8; RBW 1798 var. (Octavian with slight beard). 

From the Wild Rose Collection. Ex Numismatica Ars Classica 106, Part II (10 May 2018), lot 1316.

• Like 12
  • Cool 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

My latest from Taras is a slightly scarcer drachm than the usual 'owl standing on olive branch' type...

Taras, Calabria

272-240/35 BC
AR Drachm (17mm, 2.78g)
O: Head of Athena right, wearing Attic helmet decorated with Skylla.
R: Owl with closed wings standing right on anchor; APIΣTIΣ to left, TA to right.
Scarce
ex Savoca Coins

~ Peter 

5790688_1720431653.l~3.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 12

Posted · Supporter

I recently upgraded my Hadrian MSC to one with better detail and a fun patina.

Old one:

image15(1).png.05acf5f9d8c10dbfaf0b216cea77bda9.png

New:

Screenshot_20240704_122627_eBay.jpg.71520e50353975111a6009ce30898d47.jpg

Macedonia

Koinon 

Hadrian, 117-138 

Bronze 

Av: Laureate and draped bust r. 

Rev. KOINON MAKEΔONΩN. Macedonian shield.

4,96g 21mm

VF

Varbanov 3028.

• Like 13

Posted · Supporter

Here's my newest addition: 

0_20.png.aacadece972933475994318c816ec946.png

L. Titurius L.f. Sabinus
89 BC
Denom / weight / mm: Denarius, 18 mm, 3,78 gr
Mint: Rome
Obv: SABIN, Bare-headed and bearded head of King Titus Tatius to right; in field to right, TA (ligate, control letters) to right
Rev: L•TITVRI, The abduction of the Sabine women: two Roman soldiers, facing each other, each carrying off a Sabine woman in his arm
Ref: RRC 344/1a (via CRRO), Sear 249, Yarrow p. 191
Ex: Gert Boersema, 2024

• Like 9

Posted · Supporter

And for my second newest addition: 

05Alexander.png.ce93820cbcc0d5c1201c050f199f6641.png

In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon
Thrace, Mesembria. Circa 175-150 BC
Tetradrachm, 32 mm, 16,03 gr
Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in inner left field, ΠPO above crested Corinthian helmet right; HPA below throne
Ref: Price 1084 (http://numismatics.org/pella/id/price.1084, DNB Collectie GR-02707 (https://nnc.dnb.nl/dnb-nnc-ontsluiting-frontend/#/collectie/object/GR-02707), BMC 1886,0610.23 (https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1886-0610-23)
Ex: Germania Inferior Numismatics, 2024

Edited by Limes
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

I think this type is somewhat scarce:

5726766_1718371828.jpg.ba5fad483fe912f4b7674d33b2de1a82.jpg

VALERIAN I (253-260)
AR25mm 3.15g, billon antoninian, Antioch mint, forth emission c. 256/7.
IMP VALERIANVS PF AVG; radiate, draped cuirassed bust right seen from back
VICTORIA AVGG; Victory walking left over globe, holding wreath
RIC V 288 (Viminacium), Gobl (MIR) 36 1590a,

Double-struck on the obverse. Slightly oversized flan. There's some good silvering beneath the black coating.

• Like 6

I believe I was the first to discover this charming denarius of Elagabalus on vCoins, as it was quite conservatively priced. In hand, it closely matches the photo, with sharp details and attractive toning. Later, when I have more time, I plan to do some research to see if it might qualify as a best-of-type specimen according to my own subjective standards. 🤔

image.jpeg.468b838677dcfac0690cf262a3f346e8.jpeg
Elagabalus, 219 AD. Denarius, 2.96g.
Rev: FIDES MILITVM. Fides, standing front, head to right, holding vexillum in her right hand and signum in her left.
RIC 73

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 3