Post your latest ancient!

CPK

Posted · Supporter

Edited:  I meant to post this in the Best of Type thread 🤦‍♀️.  This is not a recent purchase- quite the opposite 😂

I have a lot of best-of-types... mainly because they are the only example of the type.  A fun side effect of focusing on provincials!  😀

Here's one that's not a provincial and although not very nice by grading standards, it is certainly one of the best... although they are all pretty awful in terms of strike and condition.  It remains a favorite coin, purchase in my first few months of collecting.  Total luck-- the seller (or seller's estate) picked the wrong venue to sell this hockey puck.  I studied and planned (not much to study-- not a lot of comps at that point) and plotted my bidding strategy, fretted over how early or late to bid, how high to go, etc... and I was the only bidder!  I doubt that would happen now because others are now aware of the occasional interesting coin or bargain to be had on that site.

spacer.png

ZEUGITANA, Carthage
early 2nd century BCE
AE 15-shekel, 45 mm, 95 gm
Obv: wreathed head of Tanit left
Rev: horse standing right, left foreleg up; solar disk with uraei (or is that the Flying Spaghetti Monster?) above
Ref: Alexandropoulos J (2000) Les monnaies de l'Afrique Antique, 103; Müller L (1861) Numismatique de L'Ancienne Afrique, 131; Luynes 3782; Jenkins GK and Lewis RB (1963) Carthaginian Gold and Electrum Coins, Royal Numismatic Society, London, pl. 28 12

Affectionately called "the PBC" because it resembles a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup 😄.

spacer.png

It was graded by NGC (as are all coins sold by Great Collections), but it was not slabbed due to size.  It did come with a laminated photo certificate:

spacer.png

Edited by TIF
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 1

2 hours ago, TIF said:

Edited:  I meant to post this in the Best of Type thread 🤦‍♀️.  This is not a recent purchase- quite the opposite 😂

I have a lot of best-of-types... mainly because they are the only example of the type.  A fun side effect of focusing on provincials!  😀

Here's one that's not a provincial and although not very nice by grading standards, it is certainly one of the best... although they are all pretty awful in terms of strike and condition.  It remains a favorite coin, purchase in my first few months of collecting.  Total luck-- the seller (or seller's estate) picked the wrong venue to sell this hockey puck.  I studied and planned (not much to study-- not a lot of comps at that point) and plotted my bidding strategy, fretted over how early or late to bid, how high to go, etc... and I was the only bidder!  I doubt that would happen now because others are now aware of the occasional interesting coin or bargain to be had on that site.

spacer.png

ZEUGITANA, Carthage
early 2nd century BCE
AE 15-shekel, 45 mm, 95 gm
Obv: wreathed head of Tanit left
Rev: horse standing right, left foreleg up; solar disk with uraei (or is that the Flying Spaghetti Monster?) above
Ref: Alexandropoulos J (2000) Les monnaies de l'Afrique Antique, 103; Müller L (1861) Numismatique de L'Ancienne Afrique, 131; Luynes 3782; Jenkins GK and Lewis RB (1963) Carthaginian Gold and Electrum Coins, Royal Numismatic Society, London, pl. 28 12

Affectionately called "the PBC" because it resembles a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup 😄.

spacer.png

It was graded by NGC (as are all coins sold by Great Collections), but it was not slabbed due to size.  It did come with a laminated photo certificate:

spacer.png

Great to see you posting on NF TIF!! nice peanut butter cup, at 95 grams I assume that this doesn't fit too well in any standard coin case or flip.  Although this coin (which is one of my latest) looks about the same size as yours in a photo - it comes from from far away on several scales:

much more recent (3+ centuries)

much smaller - 3 grams v. 95

Kyzicos vs. Karthage (>2000 miles apart from Tunisia to Western Turkey)

and it definitely fits easily in a 2x2 flip

AEKyzicosMysiaKore1.jpg.ae2013e920ec7b0b25f30789c9d50566.jpg

MYSIA, Kyzikos (Circa 1st century AD) AE Bronze (15.5 mm, 2.9 g)
Obv: Draped bust of Kore to right, her hair tied up in a bun at the back.
Rev: Κ -Υ | Ζ - Ι . Lyre; monogram above .
Ref: Von Fritze Plate III, Group IV, #1-14; RPC I 2241a.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 10
  • Heart 1

Posted · Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Great to see you posting on NF TIF!!

Thanks, Sulla 🙂  I've missed coin forums and hanging out with everyone.  I'm going to make an effort to be more active now.  It's hard.  I got out the camera and tried to take pictures of some coins never shown and forgot how much time I used to spend fussing with photos and such.  

Really wish I had a better camera setup... one that allows me to see a LARGE image as I'm setting up or shooting.  It's a bummer when I get all set up and shoot a bunch, load into the computer, and then find specks of crap on them and have to start over.

• Like 6
  • Yes 1

1 hour ago, TIF said:

Really wish I had a better camera setup... one that allows me to see a LARGE image as I'm setting up or shooting....

Tethered camera is a good option for large image view.  The ability to control my camera from my desktop with 24" screen is one of the things I like about the "Nikon Camera Control Pro" software that I have hooked up to my Nikon D750 Camera. I can get focus right, play with lighting live, zoom in to 200%, see the flecks of dust and other gunk that I didn't see otherwise - brush lightly - and try again. 

• Like 2

I seem to have gravitated towards Mesopotamia this month. Here is my first Anthemusia:

5796146_1720445275.jpg.f6c3d21031c0f7ebeebe95f9a36f6f67.jpg

AE16mm 3.30g

These are usually assigned to the reign of Elagabal but I think that this is more convention than an actual identification based on portrait/legend. The intended legend on the Imperial effigy side is ΑΥΤ ΑΝΤWΝΙΝΟϹ or ΑΝΤWΝEΙΝΟϹ. Here is probably [AYT A]NTWNEI. There is some cartoonish quality to these Mesopotamian issues, and the fact that they are mostly generic rather than individualized emperors is quite appealing to me.

• Like 12

• Benefactor

I love large bronzes, and when I saw this offered could not pass on it.  Very interesting series of just four types struck on the island and all were the last ancient coins ever to be struck in Sardinia.  Its also a very interesting period of time when the government was very much in change.  We can see there was at least some superficial semi-autonomous form of government but ultimately that did not hold for very long.  The graffiti is also very interesting to me.

1.jpg.585578f834bf9940eda14635e77dd8ec.jpg

Sardinia, Caralis, 40 BC, Aristo- and Mutumbal Ricoce, Suffetes

AE As (?), 30mm, 27.33 grams

Obverse:  ARISTO MVTVMBAL RICOCE SVF, Jugate heads of the suffetes (magistrates) right, graffiti of three incised pellets, V and another pellet.

Reverse:  VENERIS, Tetrastyle temple with closed doors set on podium, eagle standing left with wings spread open within pediment, acroteria and antefixes along roof, KAR in exergue.

RPC 624  //  Muller 319-20  //  SNG Hunterian 184

ex Jeremy Ricci

ex Naville 90, Lot 256

ex Artemide 64E, Lot 420

• Like 13
  • Cool 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

This is not really a newest acquisition, but instead an older one that came as part of a group lot a few years ago from Roma.

The coin was heavily encrusted, so I decided to do some light cleaning with distilled water.  Almost immediately after putting the coin in the distilled water bath, it began fizzing like an Alka-Seltzer tablet.  Since I did not intent to see it virtually dissolve I pulled it out, only to see large areas of corrosion that apparently were covered with some sort of water soluble material.  Disaster!  The worst corrosion is on the reverse, but also some on the obverse, especially on the periphery.   Perhaps this was a sea salvaged coin?

Depressed, not so much for the value of the coin since I did not have much skin in this one, but instead due to the damage that emerged.  But that is one aspect of handling ancient coins.

I applied Ren Wax to the coin, and that helps somewhat, but the reverse looks like a World War I battlefield.  Poor Commodus!  At least the portrait of a young Commodus  is fairly decent still....

Commodus (177-192 AD), sestertius, Rome c. 183 AD. Providentia reverse.  Heavy corrosion/deposits.

RIC III 312

19.32 grams

D-CameraCommodus177-92ADsestertiusRomec.183ADProvidentiarev19.32gCorrodedRICIII3127-25-24.jpg.ebdbd49f0e37c6e830958677537c4e49.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 12

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Here are two AR units, imitating Athens, from Southern Arabia, just arrived yesterday.  Both coins display a symbol or monogram and inverted crescent moons on the reverse.  Sabean Silver units with symbols/monograms are quite a bit scarcer compared to examples without these features.

I am researching both coins right now.  It is quite clear to me that more than one mint produced these coins and their fractional units over the period of production.

ARABIA, SABAEAN, Anonymous, ca. 3rd-2nd century BC, AR units.

Huth-225; CAF-1.4i8.

4.73 g (L), 5.21g (R)

D-CameraARABIASABAEANAnonymousca.3rd-2ndcenturyBCARunits4.73g(L)5.21g(R)Huth-225CAF-1.4i87-25-24.jpg.048c3bacdafe8facb509c69a86081021.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phil Anthos said:

Interesting. They sure are different in style. 

~ Peter 

Yes, and much is still unknown or at least somewhat muddy when it comes to this coinage.  In southern Arabia at this time, there were the Sabean, Qataban and Himyarite kingdoms, all issuing various imitations of Athenian style owls.  Attribution can be challenging.  

Just based on style, the AR unit to the right is a pretty good match with a Qataban owl from my collection, so perhaps it is a Qataban drachm instead of a Sabean AR unit, but the symbol on Athena's cheek puts the coin under the Sabeans..  The Sabeans, as far as I know, did not produce tetradrachms.

Qataban Kingdom, South Arabia, tetradrachm imitating Athens, 4th-3rd century BC.

16.9 grams 

D-CameraQatabanSouthArabiatetradrachmimiationowl4-3cenBC16.9gramsVcoins7-3-21.jpg.817134c9f7512a6dd7450fd0a290b178.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 14
  • Thinking 1

I got a few coins from the latest Elsen auction during the week.

Here's one of them - I've admired these Paeonian tetradrachms for a while and finally bought one.   I don't have the Sotheby sales catalogue of the hoard from which this coin comes, so will have to get it.

Elsen's description:

ROYAUME DE PEONIE, Patraos (340-315), AR tétradrachme. D/ T. l. d'Apollon à d. R/ Cavalier terrassant de sa lance un ennemi tombé à terre. Sur le tour, Π-AT-PA-OY. Au dessus de la t. du cheval, . Paeonian Hoard 177 (cet exemplaire); SNG ANS -. 12,39 g. Griffe au droit.

P7262243.JPG.ea493854b75fbf381e71ab6bf6178731.JPGP7262244.JPG.844dfe9fd9cb68de39d6182ae7478f06.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 8

Posted · Supporter

When small finds really excite you:

I've had my old man Marcus Aurelius Macedonian shield coin for years:

image24(1).png.16f44f715c07437e688c91d44abe746e.png

Marcus Aurelius

Æ20 of Koinon, Macedon. AD 139-161. Bearded head right / Macedonian shield. Varbanov -. Cf. Varbanov 3047. 3.49g, 18.5mm. Very Fine.

but finally came across a young Marcus as Caesar that I've been hunting for years!

1000001341-removebg-preview.png.c8734b952f017b39f3e319abb3e29898.png

Marcus Aurelius (Caesar, AD 139-161). Koinon of Macedon. Æ (20mm, 4.45 g, 9h). Beroea mint. Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust left. R/ Macedonian shield. RPC Online 4273.

• Like 15
  • Clap 1
  • Smile 1

Finally my Trajan arrived and thankfully it looks great in person since sellers photos weren’t that clear. It’s a very rare reverse from Trajan that really doesn’t pop up often and in high grade basically never so really pleased 😀.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 2

This just arrived, with some neat provenance 🎉 

ex Sotheby's Brand Sale, part 7, 1984, part-Lot 384
from the collection of Virgil Brand (1861/62-1926)
ex Weber 6883 (volume III)
from the collection of Sir Hermann Weber (1823-1918)
ex Rollin et Feuardent, 22 March 1886, Lot 741 (Billoin collection)
from the collection of Charles Billoin (1818-94)

Lydia.  AE24, 6.51g, of Philadelphia, modern-day Alaşehir in Turkey, semi-autonomous issue, circa 198-268 CE, obverse; ΔHMOC, youthful bust of Demos (the People) right, wearing tania, reverse; ΦΛ ΦIΛAΔELΦЄΩN, lion walking right, NЄΩKOP / Ω, in two lines, in exergue, N EF

Screenshot2024-08-03at07_43_45.png.b8c0c82fab55377106e6bbf80467389f.png

• Like 18
  • Heart Eyes 3

1 hour ago, Croatian Coin Collector said:

Kingdom of the Lombards Gold Tremissis (minted in the name of Justin II sometime between 582 and 602):

It looks like a very nice coin with a remarkably broad flan. We'd like to see a more-detailed picture of the coin. 

11 minutes ago, Valentinian said:

It looks like a very nice coin with a remarkably broad flan. We'd like to see a more-detailed picture of the coin. 

Since I just won the coin, I obviously can't post my own pictures of it, but here are NGC's pictures of it: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2137351-004/NGCAncients/

Edited by Croatian Coin Collector
  • Like 3

An incredibly large series of orichalcum dupondius-size local issue was struck at Nisibis c. 247-9:

s-l1600.jpg.f5b01e755160bcb051d6622db76f5811.jpg

3879068_1678463334.jpg.bce87c6fd01504d906867d4483353eba.jpg

5796176_1720445317.jpg.bf8e33190d6b576564583bae0b91e189.jpg

The last one is the most recent addition: love the portrait of Severa and the contrast between the green patina and the yellowish-reddish areas.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, seth77 said:

An incredibly large series of orichalcum dupondius-size local issue was struck at Nisibis c. 247-9:

It may be the original issue was large, but it is certain that many have appeared on the market, probably from a hoard, in late 2021. Here are some lots from Leu 18 in December 2021:

Leu18n04689q00.jpg.8b9d917c5ad0ef6eb38ed78a73cfa4fd.jpgLeu18n04690q00.jpg.489723832f73c47415e0880b373f6222.jpgLeu1804691q00.jpg.cb83fe2a093fae6098ea52a93b485ba2.jpgLeu1804692q00.jpg.87d1a915cf8d0cb190ae51527884675a.jpg

The four large lots total 538 coins from Mesopotamia, with many from Nisibis. I imagine these four lots were bought by dealers who have resold them or will resell them. It has been more than two years since these lots sold and I have seen many coins of these types (possibly these coins, or maybe from other parcels) sell individually in the meantime. 

I have websites on the coins of Nisibis:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Nisibis/Nisibis.html

and coins of the Roman wars with Persia:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Persian/Persia.html

• Like 8
  • Thinking 1

Here is a late Roman "bronze" AE3 of Arcadius (383-408) that recently arrived. 

image.jpeg.47fedaa65f3d4db8780387447052b332.jpeg

17-15 mm. 1.97 grams.
DN ARCADIVS PF AVG
Bust right
GLORIA ROMANORVM
Horseman right, raising right hand in greeting
ANTB in exergue
RIC IX Antioch 69e, page 295. Plate XIV.20.
It is Type 42 on this site about the AE types of RIC IX:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/
and on this page of all the AE types of Arcadius:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/Arcadius.html

• Like 10

I got this Tarentine obol last week. It's pretty ugly, but I bought it because it seems to be an unpublished variety, possibly a mule. The Nike control does occur on these but only to the right, and with no letter on the reverse. The 'E' on the reverse is a known variety, but again with no mark on the obverse. So probably a hybrid and therefore probably fairly scarce, right? And it was really cheap, costing less than the damned shipping. 

But... I already had a nicer one in my collection.  😠  (They do seem to be a die match, as one might expect)

This is the third time in the past 18 months that I have done this, and I'm starting to think I should be spending my money on Prevogen instead..

~ Peter (I think)

image00005~5.jpg

thumb_Vlasto_1668v.jpeg~4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Big Smile 1