Post your latest ancient!

CPK

Two of the coins I bought in September, I will post the other coins in the following days.

Antoninus Pius Denarius. RIC 155
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP, laureate head right / 
TR POT COS IIII, Liberalitas standing left with abacus and cornucopiae, LIB-IIII across fields. 

image.jpeg.43098c18df5e701ce24848a3a0578ced.jpeg

Lucius Verus Denarius, RIC 528    
L VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS, laureate head right / 
TR P V IMP II COS II, Mars standing right holding spear and leaning on shield.
image.jpeg.bf1be37d271db7846a97828821167cac.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Smile 1

3 hours ago, singig said:

Two of the coins I bought in September, I will post the other coins in the following days.

Antoninus Pius Denarius. RIC 155
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP, laureate head right / 
TR POT COS IIII, Liberalitas standing left with abacus and cornucopiae, LIB-IIII across fields. 

image.jpeg.43098c18df5e701ce24848a3a0578ced.jpeg

Lucius Verus Denarius, RIC 528    
L VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS, laureate head right / 
TR P V IMP II COS II, Mars standing right holding spear and leaning on shield.
image.jpeg.bf1be37d271db7846a97828821167cac.jpeg

Superb portraits on both coins, well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A new coin from Hierapolis:

The interesting thing about my piece is the depiction of Artemis of Ephesus. Normally the statue stands frontally, but here it stands sideways.

The statue of Artemis was made of wood, which has turned black with age, and was about 2 metres high. The ‘round parts’ that you can see do not belong to the statue, which was only hung with them. You always read funny interpretations; breasts, eggs etc.... In fact, drop-shaped amber beads were found during excavations at the site of the statue. It is therefore assumed that they were amber beads [1,2]. On my coin you can see that these were also found on the back of the statue. The black statue with the amber beads must have looked very beautiful.

Gallienus_R881_Hierapolis_fac.jpg.d5787093d64bda2e939cb2c934072686.jpg

Gallienus
Hierapolis, Phrygia
Obv: radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gallienus, right, seen from front, ΑΥ Κ Π ΛΙ ΓΑΛΛΙΗΝΟϹ
Rev: Apollo of Hierapolis holding bow in right and cithara in left facing Artemis of Ephesus in profile standing left, ΙΕΡΑΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ Κ ΕΦΕϹΙΩΝ, ΝΕΟΚΟΡΩΝ, ΟΜΟΝΥΑAR, 3.00g
Ref.: Franke-Nolle 751-752, RPC X, — (unassigned; ID 63146) this coin

• Like 13

My latest is this quadrans of Trajan.

TrajanSCHerculesquadrans.jpg.e13c1564a2f4e4e4c471740089a378a3.jpg
Trajan, 98-117 CE.
Roman Æ quadrans, 2.78 g, 14.5 mm, 7 h.
Rome, 98-102 CE.
Obv: IMP CAES TRAIAN AVG GERM, laureate bust of Hercules, right, wearing lion skin around neck.
Rev: S C, club upright.
Refs: RIC 699 var.; BMCRE 1071-72; Cohen 344 var.; RCV 3249; Hill UCR 104; Woytek 603b.

• Like 12

Hi and thank you so much for accepting me, I'm not to sure about this coin, however here goes.. I think it is Egabalus 218-222 it weighs 7 grams, and comes up gold, can anyone please confirm for me and help me identify this coin. Thank you all.mir_20240913_185650.jpg.1cbc41bbb40db578a7de3281df884558.jpg

mir_20240913_185612.jpg

• Like 10

My last Gallienus coins, I bought them for the interesting reverses.

Gallienus, AE antoninianus. Rome mint, sole reign. RIC 230 (Sole reign)
GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right / 
LIBERO P CONS AVG, striped tigress walking left. Mintmark B.

image.jpeg.77fb51bd71e192cc02380fa6aec2bb67.jpeg

Gallienus AE Antoninianus, Antioch. Sole reign. AD 265. RIC 652
GALLIENVS AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right / 
PAX FVNDATA, Trophy with a captive on each side. Mintmark: branch right. 

image.jpeg.79e400c041043431f505034effe027a6.jpeg

• Like 13

• Benefactor

I recently picked up a few Roman provincial bronzes, Alexandria.  One I posted on the thread for Trajan's birthday.

Here's another.

Vespasian, Alexandria, AE drachm, LB (year 2) 69/70 AD.

RPC 2417

28.69 grams

D-CameraVespasianAlexandriaAEdrachmLB(year2)69-70ADRPC241728.69g9-23-24.jpg.55d2b87f2c85a7618abb1a9ace9a0627.jpg

This example has the typical crudeness often seen for this type, though I think the detail, what's visible, is not bad.  Vespasian seems to be enjoying himself in light of his success with the First Jewish War.

Condition-wise, the coin does have some reverse scratches.  Because of the conical shape of the flan both sides are elevated and prone to extensive wear.  The obverse bulges out from the hammer blow.  Also, just enough of the B for the regnal year is visible, near the reverse edge to confirm that the coin was minted in year two.

At 28.69 grams this coin seems to be a heftier example.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 17

Here's a deceptive little diobol from Arpi. Looks like Taras doesn't it? That's actually why I bought it, since it's part of a series of coins designed to strengthen the economic alliance among the Greek colonies of Southern Italy against the upstart to the north, Rome. Similar diobols were also struck at Teate, Rubi, Metapontum and Herakleia, as well as many unofficial tribal issues.

~ Peter 

5804692_1720539020.l~5.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 12

• Benefactor

This post is both for two new coins, and a brief study in contrasts of these Alexandrian BI tetradrachms, both issued in the final regnal year of Nero, year 14.

The first coin was purchased from my UAE source a few weeks ago.  A pretty inexpensive coin at $40, but also one with obvious surface issues.  This coin was also struck on a small flan, and with a weight of 8.58 grams well below the average Neronian tetradrachm weight.  In the chronology of RPC online this is the final tetradrachm for Nero at Alexandria. 

The weight and color of this coin suggests that it has very little silver, basically what I would call an AE tetradrachm.  The surfaces are rough, more so on the obverse, and the die work is far from top quality.  Is it possible that this coin was produced on or near Nero's suicide and the ensuing war of succession? It is interesting to speculate.

Nero, BI tetradrachm, Alexandria, LΙΔ = year 14 (AD 67/8).

RPC 5318

8.58 grams

D-CameraNeroBItetradrachmAlexandriaLyear14(AD67-8)RPC53188.58grams9-26-24.jpg.72390e8818043d73f6bb0ec3a0c66af3.jpg

The second coin arrived today.  I ordered it over the weekend to be a sister coin for the first example.  This coin has a lower RPC online catalog number 5311 for year 14, so I assume that it was produced earlier that year.  

This coin is very distinctive compared to the first coin, and much more expensive at $152. The flan is wider and heavier, at 12.64 grams, more in line with tetradrachms for Nero.  The die work is finer overall as well, with an expressive Apollo Aktios on the reverse.  The metal quality is notably higher.

Nero, BI tetradrachm, Alexandria, LΙΔ  year = 14 (AD 67/8).

RPC 5311

12.64 grams

D-CameraNeroBItetradrachmAlexandriaLyear14(AD67-8)RPC531112.64grams9-26-24.jpg.5fe90e649eb71951541c0b88700dfbe9.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 14

A Roman Civil War Snack 🙂

Roman Imperatorial; Gaius Cassius Longinus AR Denarius. Military mint travelling with Brutus and Cassius, possibly struck in Smyrna (modern Izmir, Turkey), 42 BC. Moneyer: Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther, legate. Obverse: Diademed and draped head of Libertas right; LEIBERTAS upwards before, C•CASSI•IMP upwards behind. Reverse: Capis and lituus; LENTVLVS SPINT in two lines below. Crawford 500/3; CRI 221; RSC 4. 3.93g, 21mm

The legate responsible for this coin issue, Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther, came from one of the largest and oldest patrician families in Rome. With their numerous branches of the family, such as the Scipiones and the Lentuli, the Cornelians probably provided more important politicians and office-holders than any other family, including a number of mint masters. The father of P. Lentulus Spinther of the same name was master of the mint in 74 BC and attained the consulship in 57 BC. As governor of Asia Minor he had cistophores minted, later he was killed in the civil war on the side of Pompey. However, the still young son was not prosecuted by Caesar and was able to obtain the quaestorship in 44 BC. Nevertheless, Spinther joined the conspirators after Caesar's assassination and was then responsible for a large part of Cassius' coinage. The obverse shows the head of Libertas with the archaising spelling LEIBERTAS, both emblematic of the aims of Caesar's murderers: the restoration of freedom on the basis of ancient Roman values. The reverse with the priestly devices refers to the augurate that Spinther attained in his father's year of consulship.

The Cassian family, with its main branch the Longini, was a very old plebeian family that provided numerous consuls and other officials, including several mint masters. Gaius Cassius Longinus was perhaps the son of the consul of the same name from the year 73 BC. Cassius was married to Iunia Tertia, a half-sister of M. Iunius Brutus. He was therefore related to Brutus by marriage and is considered one of the leaders of the conspiracy against Caesar. Cassius was initially a supporter of Pompey. After Pharsalus, however, he was pardoned by Caesar, who even made Cassius one of his legates. In 44 BC, Cassius received the praetorship and was then appointed governor of Syria. After the assassination of the dictator, Cassius and Brutus left the capital Rome and expanded their positions in the east of the empire. A meeting between the two in Smyrna at the beginning of 42 BC was followed by military activities in Asia Minor: Brutus invaded Lycia and Cassius subjugated the rich island of Rhodes. Both were probably primarily measures to acquire funds for further armament. In the summer of the same year, the two armies united in the Lydian Sardeis before both crossed over to Europe and faced their fateful battle at Philippi.

IMG_0116.jpeg.1fbbd69e6b703dd9c1b7d1af7f7309ce.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

59 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

A Roman Civil War Snack 🙂

Roman Imperatorial; Gaius Cassius Longinus AR Denarius. Military mint travelling with Brutus and Cassius, possibly struck in Smyrna (modern Izmir, Turkey), 42 BC. Moneyer: Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther, legate. Obverse: Diademed and draped head of Libertas right; LEIBERTAS upwards before, C•CASSI•IMP upwards behind. Reverse: Capis and lituus; LENTVLVS SPINT in two lines below. Crawford 500/3; CRI 221; RSC 4. 3.93g, 21mm

The legate responsible for this coin issue, Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther, came from one of the largest and oldest patrician families in Rome. With their numerous branches of the family, such as the Scipiones and the Lentuli, the Cornelians probably provided more important politicians and office-holders than any other family, including a number of mint masters. The father of P. Lentulus Spinther of the same name was master of the mint in 74 BC and attained the consulship in 57 BC. As governor of Asia Minor he had cistophores minted, later he was killed in the civil war on the side of Pompey. However, the still young son was not prosecuted by Caesar and was able to obtain the quaestorship in 44 BC. Nevertheless, Spinther joined the conspirators after Caesar's assassination and was then responsible for a large part of Cassius' coinage. The obverse shows the head of Libertas with the archaising spelling LEIBERTAS, both emblematic of the aims of Caesar's murderers: the restoration of freedom on the basis of ancient Roman values. The reverse with the priestly devices refers to the augurate that Spinther attained in his father's year of consulship.

The Cassian family, with its main branch the Longini, was a very old plebeian family that provided numerous consuls and other officials, including several mint masters. Gaius Cassius Longinus was perhaps the son of the consul of the same name from the year 73 BC. Cassius was married to Iunia Tertia, a half-sister of M. Iunius Brutus. He was therefore related to Brutus by marriage and is considered one of the leaders of the conspiracy against Caesar. Cassius was initially a supporter of Pompey. After Pharsalus, however, he was pardoned by Caesar, who even made Cassius one of his legates. In 44 BC, Cassius received the praetorship and was then appointed governor of Syria. After the assassination of the dictator, Cassius and Brutus left the capital Rome and expanded their positions in the east of the empire. A meeting between the two in Smyrna at the beginning of 42 BC was followed by military activities in Asia Minor: Brutus invaded Lycia and Cassius subjugated the rich island of Rhodes. Both were probably primarily measures to acquire funds for further armament. In the summer of the same year, the two armies united in the Lydian Sardeis before both crossed over to Europe and faced their fateful battle at Philippi.

IMG_0116.jpeg.1fbbd69e6b703dd9c1b7d1af7f7309ce.jpeg

That is a very rich snack! 🤩Beautiful! 

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Here are a couple more Parthian drachms from a group that recently arrived.

This is now my earliest Parthian drachm, from the 2nd century BC.

Parthia, Phriapatios to Mithradates I, AR drachm, Hekatompylos mint, circa 185 - 132 BC.

Sellwood 10.1 (Mithradates)

3.88 grams

D-CameraParthiaPhriapatiostoMithradatesIdrachmHekatompylosC.185-132B.C.3.88g9-27-24.jpg.2905888af6196b4487c6c0ad3e9a2715.jpg

And then there's Orodes II.  Since I have one of his tetradrachms, I thought it would be nice to acquire one of his drachms.

Parthia, Orodes II, AR drachm, 57 - 38 BC.

Sellwood 47

3.66 grams

D-CameraParthiaOrodesIIARdrachm57BC-38BCSellwood473.66grams9-27-24.jpg.cd52954c403c64b2f393bea733dbffac.jpg

Here's the tetradrachm, which I have posted several times before.  This coin was struck shortly after Orodes II took Seleukia on the Tigris and killing his brother and co-ruler, Mithradates III.

Parthia, Orodes II, AR tetradrachm, Seleukia on the Tigris, 55-54 BC.

13.10 grams

D-CameraParthiaOrodestetradrachmSeleukiaontheTigris55-54BC13.10grams11-28-20.jpg.4db3d1e2d191ae03a8e961f0e8db7891.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 13

A new Faustina II provincial coin:

Faustina_II_R884_fac.jpg.5503c7f0d680d3e44281aaf4883d62ab.jpg

Faustina II
Cilicia, Anemurium
Year 7 = AD 166/7
Av.: ΦΑΥϹΤΙΝΑ ϹΕΒΑϹΤΗ, draped bust of Faustina II, right
Rv.: ΑΝΕΜΟΥΡΙΕωΝ ΕΤ Ζ, Apollo standing, left, holding laurel-branch, resting lyre on column
AE, 26 mm, 8.93g
Ref.: RPC IV.3, 10256 (this coin)

• Like 13

The town of Dora/Tel Dor in the Holy Land -- I actually saw part of it a few years ago when we did the northern part of the Israel National Trail -- with a pseudo-autonomous coinage from the late 60s. The date is unreadable but probably around 65+.

5852811_1721394203.jpg.d2c7e18073b7b4a95894817034b2baa0.jpg

• Like 14

I'm not buying LRBs very often but when the price is right and the coin has something special (a helmeted or cuirassed bust , uncommon reverse ,  silvered ) I cannot resist , these are the best I bought during the year .

Constantine Silvered AE follis. 320 AD. Thessalonica RIC VII 75,G
CONSTANTINVS AVG, helmeted cuirassed bust right. / 
VIRTVS EXERCIT S-F, standard inscribed VOT XX, bound captives seated below on either side. Mintmark dot TS dot Γ dot.

image.jpeg.be0d2161c6d89377b61444eec6d04f76.jpeg

Constantine I AE follis. 312-313 AD. Rome RIC VI 349a
IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, laureate cuirassed bust right. / 
SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, legionary eagle between two vexilla. Mintmark RP.

image.jpeg.9192b3d3c1795e28e08fb8eab26a4498.jpeg

Constantine AE follis. AD 315-316. Lyons RIC VII 34    
IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right. / 
SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI, Sol standing left, chlamys draped over left shoulder, holding globe upwards and raising right hand.  TF in left field, star in right field. Mintmark PLG.

image.jpeg.8a4aacb57477cc476222313d7d64795e.jpeg

Constantine II AE follis. Siscia. AD 320. Siscia RIC VII 133
CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate, draped bust left, holding Victory on globe and mappa / 
VIRTVS EXERCIT, Standard inscribed VOT X in two lines with two captives sitting at its base. S-F over HL (ligate) across fields. 
Mintmark Epsilon SIS star-in-crescent.

image.jpeg.600b7f1bd8d6563fcd251503b1f783e0.jpeg

Constantine Silvered AE follis. 325-326 AD. Cyzicus RIC VII 34,B
CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate head right. / 
PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, campgate with two turrets and star above. Mintmark SMKB dot. 

image.jpeg.333744e4d19d283e7cfabc7d9d1ed102.jpeg

Honorius AE3. Constantinople, AD 401-403. RIC X 88
DN HONORIVS PF AVG, helmeted, diademed, cuirassed facing bust, spear across right shoulder, shield decorated with an X behind left shoulder / 
CONCORDIA AVGG, Constantinopolis seated with head turned right, holding Victory on a globe and sceptre; right foot on prow. Mintmark CONSA. 

image.jpeg.8fc69bd643489974a940bf8746c1c447.jpeg

Magnentius, AE2 of Arles, Arles RIC VIII 179    
DN MAGNENTIVS PF AVG, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, A behind bust. / 
VICTORIAE D D N N AVG ET CAE, two Victories standing, facing ea

image.jpeg.280346e302f77b4882bfc55e57024fd1.jpeg

Constantine I , 321 AD , Lugdunum , RIC 130
Bust of Constantine I, helmeted, cuirassed, right, CONSTANTINVS AVG /
BEATA TRANQVILLITAS, Globe on altar inscribed VOT/IS/XX; above, three stars
MintMark: C/R//PLG

image.jpeg.2b2c149fe7637148abccddd9067e1855.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Another Faustina II sestertius

normal_Faustina_II_R885.jpg.c1aa78d00e78552620ff49e65ad96639.jpg

Faustina II, Sestertius
Av.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Bust of Faustina the Younger, draped, hair elaborately waved and fastened in a low chignon at back of head
Rv.: IVNO S C, Juno, draped, standing left, holding patera in extended right hand and sceptre in left hand; at left, peacock
AE, 28.5mm, 22.1g
Ref.: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1645

• Like 10

• Benefactor
On 9/26/2024 at 12:58 PM, robinjojo said:

This post is both for two new coins, and a brief study in contrasts of these Alexandrian BI tetradrachms, both issued in the final regnal year of Nero, year 14.

The first coin was purchased from my UAE source a few weeks ago.  A pretty inexpensive coin at $40, but also one with obvious surface issues.  This coin was also struck on a small flan, and with a weight of 8.58 grams well below the average Neronian tetradrachm weight.  In the chronology of RPC online this is the final tetradrachm for Nero at Alexandria. 

The weight and color of this coin suggests that it has very little silver, basically what I would call an AE tetradrachm.  The surfaces are rough, more so on the obverse, and the die work is far from top quality.  Is it possible that this coin was produced on or near Nero's suicide and the ensuing war of succession? It is interesting to speculate.

Nero, BI tetradrachm, Alexandria, LΙΔ = year 14 (AD 67/8).

RPC 5318

8.58 grams

D-CameraNeroBItetradrachmAlexandriaLyear14(AD67-8)RPC53188.58grams9-26-24.jpg.72390e8818043d73f6bb0ec3a0c66af3.jpg

The second coin arrived today.  I ordered it over the weekend to be a sister coin for the first example.  This coin has a lower RPC online catalog number 5311 for year 14, so I assume that it was produced earlier that year.  

This coin is very distinctive compared to the first coin, and much more expensive at $152. The flan is wider and heavier, at 12.64 grams, more in line with tetradrachms for Nero.  The die work is finer overall as well, with an expressive Apollo Aktios on the reverse.  The metal quality is notably higher.

Nero, BI tetradrachm, Alexandria, LΙΔ  year = 14 (AD 67/8).

RPC 5311

12.64 grams

D-CameraNeroBItetradrachmAlexandriaLyear14(AD67-8)RPC531112.64grams9-26-24.jpg.5fe90e649eb71951541c0b88700dfbe9.jpg

@robinjojo I think your first example is an underwater find. I have a somewhat underweight Galba tetradrachm which has been shown to be a marine find and also the silver appears mostly leached away. As you are probably aware the sea has encroached upon the coast in Alexandria so that there is a significant amount of the ancient city now underwater. Moreover the hewn stone remnants of the Pharos have been scattered about underwater with the exception of the stones used to build the Ottoman era fort of Quait Bey. The rest of the ancient city is buried under the modern city so archaeological work is somewhat restricted unfortunately.

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 1

It's been a while, but last night I pressed the "buy" button on another coin, so until that arrives the Justinian II Constantinople second reign follis below remains my latest ancient (now that I know that even medieval-dated Byzantines qualify as "honorary" ancients). I had some reservations buying this coin, but so far it's remained stable over the few months that I've had it. It's not the prettiest specimen of this type, but I really liked some of the detail remaining on Justinian II on the obverse. Plus, it filled a hole that I really wanted to fill. I'll pursue any opportunities to upgrade that come my way.

705_to_711_JustinianII_AE_Follis_01.png.24f515d3e23cef5e3d847b440080f248.png705_to_711_JustinianII_AE_Follis_02.png.a10d85b55b2bb80af353df5aba6ba175.png
Justinian II (705-711), second reign, Æ Follis, Constantinople, Obv: Legend obscure, crowned facing busts of Justinian and Tiberius, each wearing chlamys and holding patriarcal cross set on globe inscribed PAX; Rev: Large M, cross above, Γ below, CON in exergue; 19-20mm, 3.81g; Berk-806, MIB-43, DO-12c, Sear 1428

• Like 8

• Benefactor
39 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

@robinjojo I think your first example is an underwater find. I have a somewhat underweight Galba tetradrachm which has been shown to be a marine find and also the silver appears mostly leached away. As you are probably aware the sea has encroached upon the coast in Alexandria so that there is a significant amount of the ancient city now underwater. Moreover the hewn stone remnants of the Pharos have been scattered about underwater with the exception of the stones used to build the Ottoman era fort of Quait Bey. The rest of the ancient city is buried under the modern city so archaeological work is somewhat restricted unfortunately.

Thanks!  I was not aware of this part of Alexandria's history.

• Thanks 1