Father's Byzantine / Ancient Coin Collection

Bonshaw

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, theotokevoithi said:

Constantine v was called copronymus by the people because he peed during baptism ceremony (shit-named). He was loved excessively !.

Although the veracity of that story is to be questioned and likely slander by the iconodules

Edited by TheTrachyEnjoyer
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

It is still happening occasionally during the ceremony (little boys). Of course if i was an iconophilos then, i would mention this embarassing event every day as part of my rulers name. Of course there is the possibility of imagination, but why this event ? There are worst things to say for someone.

• Shock 1
  • Yes 1

3 hours ago, theotokevoithi said:

It is still happening occasionally during the ceremony (little boys). Of course if i was an iconophilos then, i would mention this embarassing event every day as part of my rulers name. Of course there is the possibility of imagination, but why this event ? There are worst things to say for someone.

I've also read somewhere, that Constantine V's nickname "copronymus" was based on a rumor, which may not have been true, which may have been started by his enemies. Anyway, as you said, who cares if a baby had an accident during a baptism ceremony? It's perfectly natural. Oh well. It's just 1 of those silly things. I guess some people cared about such things, back then.

Here's a quote from the Wikipedia article on Constantine V.

"Iconodule writers applied to Constantine the derogatory epithet Kopronymos ("dung-named", from kopros, meaning "faeces" or "animal dung", and onoma, "name"). Using this obscene name, they spread the rumour that as an infant he had defiled his own baptism by defaecating in the font, or on the imperial purple cloth with which he was swaddled."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_V 

• Like 2

Posted · Supporter
5 hours ago, theotokevoithi said:

Constantine V and Leo IV. 751-775 AD. AE Follis. Syracuse mint. K-LEWN to right and left of Constantine V, bearded on left, and Leo IV, beardless on right, standing facing (usually three-quarter length), each wearing crown and chlamys and holding akakia in arm across their chests; cross between their heads / LEON-DECP downwards to left and right, Leo III, bearded, half-length, standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys and holding cross potent. SB 1569, DOC 19

The effort to produce iconoclastic coins like this by the rulers was a disaster. It is an image - representation but not very much !!!

Constantine v was called copronymus by the people because he peed during baptism ceremony (shit-named). He was loved excessively !.

I was wondering!  I know that "coprolite" is a fossilized animal stool (poop). Copronymus sounded bad.

• Like 2

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/constantine_V-leo_IV/t.html

Copronymous was not a compliment.( ΚΟΠΡΟΣ-COPRO is shit or/and pee AND ΛΙΘΟΣ-LITH is stone).

And the word iconodule (slave of icons) was used as diminutive by the other side.

The majority of the Byzantines called themselves iconophilos (friend of icons).

Constantine V was a great emperor, his religion orientation concerning icons was the serious problem. People then cared more for details concerning religion than real life. One of the greatest byzantine problem was the gender of the angels !!! Medieval period.

• Like 2