Postumus, founder of The Gallic Empire

expat

As some of you will be aware, this coin was seized by Spanish Customs, held until I had transferred an exorbitant amount of Euros. Its details were then sent to the Cultural and antiquities dept who held it for another week before releasing it.

Finally it has arrived, and here he is. A weak reverse strike but I wanted it for the Obverse

Postumus AR Antoninianus. Trier, 264-265 CE
IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left with scales in right hand and holding cornucopiae and raising hem of skirt with left. RIC 75. RSC 199, Sear 10962. (Note the curly hair above the brow on the obverse.
This is one of the main characteristics which distinguishes this coin from RIC 315 from Cologne, on which the hair is in more or less straight lines.)

20240319_165616__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.78b08c55d5cac79e3142fe1b5f12342d.png

Edited by expat
  • Like 18

post.jpg.d2906b9d5bd954a1e64f61443cef5433.jpg

Postumus (260 - 269 A.D.)
AR Antoninianus
O: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
R: FIDES EXERCITVS Four military standards, hand on top of second, eagle on third.
Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck 266 A.D.
3.8g
20mm
RIC V 303; Cunetio 2432; Elmer 417; RSC 65

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Happy ending finally. Your coin was minted in Trier circa 264-265, and as you noticed, the curly hair makes it a RIC 269 in the new RIC V.4.

IMG_7062.jpeg.94e247cec85d8df7bc7afa85423498a6.jpeg

Thank you for that info. I have amended the attribution details regarding the mint and date range of striking.

I haven't posted this one in a while.

PostumusSALVSAVGantoninianus.jpg.63a300cc3cdeafbbbfc0eb8d4ce61648.jpg
Postumus, 260-269 CE.
Roman Billon Antoninianus, 2.84 g, 21.1 mm.
Cologne (?), 265-68 CE.
Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: SALVS AVG, Aesculapius standing facing, head left, holding snake-entwined staff; globe at feet, right.
Refs: RIC 86; Hunter 85, 86; Cohen 336; Sear 10985; DeWitte 280.

• Like 10

• Benefactor

My Postumus is eating crack.

Postumus.jpg.97a6a94ba6003be323e0ff82c1d98085.jpg

Postumus
Treveri, 260 CE
AR Antoninianus 4.36g, 22mm, 1h
IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust to right /
HERC DEVSONIENSI, Hercules standing facing, head to right, leaning on club and holding bow and lion’s skin.
RIC V.2 64; J. Mairat, The Coinage of the Gallic Empire, Wolfson College, Trinity, 2014 (unpublished PhD Thesis), 17; RSC 91a
Ex Fritz Rudolf Künker 2008

• Like 9
  • Big Smile 4

Silver coin (AR Antoninianus) minted at Lugdunum during the reign of POSTUMUS between 263 - 265 A.D. Obv. IMP.C.POSTVMVS.P.F.AVG.: Radiate, draped & cuir. bust r. Rev. MONETA.AVG.: Moneta standing l., holding scales in r hand and cornucopia in l. RCS #3116. RSCIV #199a pg.131. RICV #75 pg.343. DVM #32.

GAA-255 OBV.jpg

GAA-255 REV.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Happy ending finally. Your coin was minted in Trier circa 264-265, and as you noticed, the curly hair makes it a RIC 269 in the new RIC V.4.

Yes this new RIC was nearly as overdue as the coin.

3 hours ago, expat said:

Its details were then sent to the Cultural and antiquities dept who held it for another week before releasing it.

I wonder if the Cultural and Antiquities department roll their eyes when they get yet another Gallic Empire antoninianus diverted their way. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite reverse types of Postumus:

Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: PIETAS AVG, Pietas standing left, holding two children, two children standing at her feet.

Elmer 395; AGK (corr.) 58; Cunetio 2428;

1424,antoninien Postume Postumus PIETA-S AVG b.jpg

• Like 15

Don't have any Postumus Antoniniani coming in recently. But I do have a Tetricus on the way. The gallic enjoyers will know how special this one is with the senatorial name, very nice strike, as well as a great flan. Perhaps the one of if not the best for the type.

Obv: IMP C G P ESVVIVS TETRICVS AVG Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Tetricus I to right.

Rev: SPES PVBLICA Spes advancing left, holding flower in her right hand and raising skirt with her left.

TetricusEsvvivs.jpeg.059967851ab4e96a497fd0ab90f289f5.jpeg

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Yes this new RIC was nearly as overdue as the coin.

I wonder if the Cultural and Antiquities department roll their eyes when they get yet another Gallic Empire antoninianus diverted their way. 

It would not surprise me in the slightest. Just last week a teller at the post office refused to send a coin to Italy, saying it is illegal to send out from Spain unless accompanied by an export license. The same teller quite happily and without comment sent my secret santa AR denarius of Titus to France in November. No-one seems to know the rules and regulations. If something is sent using the shipping app of ebay, the shipping label quite clearly shows the contents of the package as Moneda y biletes (Coins and currency). Sent by Spanish Post and nobody blinks an eye at them.

Edited by expat
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Not really a Postumus collector, yet. I only have a couple.

photo-b.jpg.c20ef574e7ffb63208e1b43a124db44f.jpg

I really like the reverse portrait as the weak strike makes Moneta appear like a ghost

Authority:  Postumus (Augustus 260 – 269 AD)

Denomination:  AR Antoninianus

Mint:  Cologne (260 – 269 AD)

Size:  23.0 mm

Weight:  4.00 g

Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right

ReverseMONETA AVG, Moneta, draped, standing left, holding scales in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand

References: RIC V, Part  ii, 315

Note: Die Match to coin PMP-R-4564 Gallo-Roman Museum Tongeren

photo-b.jpg.423e6eeaa7711bae371be98f6b9e9a3b.jpg

Authority:  Postumus (Augustus 260 – 269 AD)

Denomination:  AR Antoninianus

Mint:  Cologne (267 AD)

Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right

ReversePAX AVG, Pax, draped, standing left, holding olive-branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand

References: RIC V, Part  ii, 318(c)

Edited by -monolith-
  • Like 9

I never clean my coins.  However, a coin friend offered to clean one of my coins that he saw on CT with his proprietary cleaning process.  Shipped it, me in the US to him in the UK.  After a couple weeks, I received a "new" coin!  

Yeah, well, I DO need to reshoot my collection... sorry for the poor photo...

image.png.6eaf49c8b2acdec68752ffe1e0c3c25b.png

image.png.bc4c47ba714c25333e62c841e67c5832.png

RI

Postumus 259-268 CE

Antoninianus

Cologne Oriens

ex @TIF

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 6

I find it weird that people can attribute their coins to Cologne,Trier or Lugdunum. As far as I know there’s no real way to know and the consensus being that they’re likely from Trier.

Anyone can give me some insight ?

Great coins everyone. Postumus is fun. He reminds me of Santa Clause.

I’m pretty sure I have a Postumus or two in my collection but it seems I don’t have a photograph of them that I can find. I have also gifted a few in the past such the one below because I think they make fun gifts. 🎅 

Postumus_Ant_Trier.jpeg.9cc0829f376b6d84bbe6d4d496a74246.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Big Smile 1

15 hours ago, Victrix said:

Anyone can give me some insight ?

I will try to explain what we know for sure in the simplest way. First, we know that the mint in Lugdunum was only reopened under Aurelian in 274 AD, so no coins of the Gallic rulers were struck there. Secondly, by archeological and hoards evidence, we know that the main workshop was located in Trier. And finally, we know by numismatic proofs that a mint opened at one point in Cologne ( by the Postumus’ reverse COL CL AGRIP COS IIII) and was later closed, probably between Victorinus and Tetricus reign. Now to know from which mint the different issues of Postumus’ coinage were produced, we have to rely on stylistic hypothesis, and surely future analysis could change or confirm what is presently believed…

Edited by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

(I started typing this before @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix response)

The general consensus is that there are three mints that struck coins for Postumus: Trier (Treveri), Cologne (Colonia Agrippina), and Milan (Mediolanum). The issues from Milan (struck by the general Aureolus in the name of Postumus) are very distinctive and the placement to Milan is not in question. Lyon (Lugdunum) has long been discredited, but since that was in the RIC from almost a hundred years ago, it continues to persist in descriptions to this day. For Trier/Cologne there has been much debate over the years, and some references use "Mint I" and "Mint II". We know Cologne was one of the mints because there are very rare issues that spell it out in the reverse legend (COL CL AGRIP COS IIII and C C A A COS IIII).

So the only question is which whether Trier or Cologne is Mint I or Mint II. I don't think you can really call it fully settled, but I believe Mairat makes a convincing argument for Trier being the Mint I, the main mint, and Cologne being Mint II, that opened late Postumus' reign.

Trier (Mint I) types:

• ALL ONES NOT LISTED BELOW!!!

Cologne (Mint II) types:

• C C A A COS IIII (Moneta 1)
  • COL CL AGRIP COS IIII (Moneta 1)
  • IOVI VICTORI (Jupiter 7)
  • IOVI VICTORI / C / A (Jupiter 7)
  • P M TR P X COS V P P (Emperor 5a)
  • P M TR P X COS V P P (Victory 10)

All of the Cologne types are rare except for IOVI VICTORI:

1234a.png.f1f6e412374eb277beeb84960c249f6f.png

Milan types:

• CONCORD (A)EQVIT
  • FIDES (A)EQVIT
  • PAX EQVITVM
  • SALVS AVG*
  • VIRTVS AVG*
  • VIRTVS (A)EQVIT
  • VIRTVS EQVITVM

* = same reverse legend used, and more common at, Trier

TLDR: Which mint is my Postumus ant from? Probably Trier.

Edited by Postvmvs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

I will try to explain what we know for sure in the simplest way. First, we know that the mint in Lugdunum was only reopened under Aurelian in 274 AD, so no coins of the Gallic rulers were struck there. Secondly, by archeological and hoards evidence, we know that the main workshop was located in Trier. And finally, we know by numismatic proofs that a mint opened at one point in Cologne ( by the Postumus’ reverse COL CL AGRIP COS IIII) and was later closed, probably between Victorinus and Tetricus reign. Now to know from which mint the different issues of Postumus’ coinage were produced, we have to rely on stylistic hypothesis, and surely future analysis could change or confirm what is presently believed…

Thanks for the info! Already found it weird that some people said here that their coin was from Lugdunum which confused me. Cologne and Trier being relatively close to eachother likely means there’s not much stylistic difference. Might have to read up on that some time 😄.

I have a bronze Antoninianus of Postumus from Lugdunum (at least, I thought it was). I also have a silver Antoninianus of Postumus from Cologne (at least, I thought I did). 

Turns out, both have been reassigned to Trier according to RIC V.4. I previously went by RIC V.2 (as did the coin dealers). There is a fair bit of discussion in Mairat's work about mints. There is a lot to recommend in his new RIC V.4. He's banished a lot of the codes for obverse legends and bust types, so it's much easier to read than the 1933 version. There are a lot more plates. I use the index of reverse legends to identify possible RIC numbers, but I suppose I could have just used the concordance. 

Issue 7. RIC V.4 #302 (plate 43)

image.jpeg.c246f8f6cd0fafc19392cff53882d6d5.jpeg    image.jpeg.a9598f87b63509c8050d9d6b7f5411f2.jpeg 

Issue 4. RIC V.4 #210 (plate 35). 

image.jpeg.77a9f5223e1c25e3e32721dd7d645a2d.jpeg  image.jpeg.7fafbd7ec6964830b07ae92310301955.jpeg  

• Like 5
  • Clap 2

• 2 weeks later...

This thread motivated me (thank you!) to take pictures of a few more of my unphotographed Postumus coins. I took them on my phone under a desk lamp, so the images aren’t great, a little blurry and too yellow… but better than no photos!

PostumusCologneRICV-2-93-2.JPG.2d25953be614e975f5bbb34cdef175c4.JPG

PostumusLyonsRICV-2-64-1.JPG.120b4785a5b67fb74a37c2c05407a0bd.JPG

PostumusTrierRICV-2-59.JPG.8f98439c2abd76e21ff3bb25810bcdd7.JPG

IMG_5308.jpeg.37a45918ae206427e9d9a7895066acb9.jpeg

IMG_5331.jpeg.dab0b95fda5e0204caea4e8ab9811bd4.jpeg

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1