Ladies and Gentlemen, step right up and get your giant uncleaned Roman coin hoards at the Roman Coin Supermarket!

DonnaML

Holy cow, I just clicked through enough to see the prices. The one I clicked through on was 25,000 GBP.

And you are too late for the Aurelius!  Already sold.

aurelius.jpg.c9defdce8ef2b656dd75e0d82b7247c2.jpg

Edited by Bonshaw
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 3

Inanity, stupidity, and cupidity in one parcel.  The sellers have distilled the quintessence of immoral coin-dealership, all into one heavy-duty white fabric bag.  This achievement deserves a moment of silent contemplation.  

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter
9 minutes ago, Finn235 said:

It's the AI generated first image that gets me

media.png.248f5883397e2cf9d53dadcff6b9b990.png

Couldn't be bothered to Google up enough images of actual coins to photoshop in, so they just had ChatGPT whip something up.

No kidding. Also, what kind of bag is that? Speaking as the father of young children, it looks more like an - ahem - unpleasant surprise, rather than a bag of coins.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Laugh 1

A lot of sour grapes here from people missing out on a deal of a lifetime. I mean… the images show the columns of actual archeological sites. Take my money! 💰 

IMG_2125.jpeg.aa19f25d9763466ef6c24c95e5719949.jpeg

….but seriously… I don’t like the way the images show (AI generated) dug up sites, or that people would purchase anything from these people.

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

Inanity, stupidity, and cupidity in one parcel.  The sellers have distilled the quintessence of immoral coin-dealership, all into one heavy-duty white fabric bag.  This achievement deserves a moment of silent contemplation.  

Do you truly believe that there's anyone out there who has actually spent that kind of money on a bag of dirt allegedly containing a "hoard" of uncleaned ancient coins, sight unseen? Guaranteed to be in "good to very good" condition? I would prefer to believe that the whole thing is a rather clever parody.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 1

Quite honestly, despite all the restrictions on shipping ancient artefacts it would be even harder to import the dirt. A licence for that costs £1000 in the UK. You might need to heat treat it and then demonstrate how you intend to destroy it ‘after use’.

• Gasp 1
  • Shock 1

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

Do you truly believe that there's anyone out there who has actually spent that kind of money on a bag of dirt allegedly containing a "hoard" of uncleaned ancient coins, sight unseen? Guaranteed to be in "good to very good" condition? I would prefer to believe that the whole thing is a rather clever parody.

...Well, Donna, you could wish that.  But for that to happen, we'd have to live in a world populated by that many civilized grownups in the first place.  We can't really afford the luxury of imputing the level of irony that everyone here is demonstrating (with, oops, maybe one exception) to the perpetrator of this.

...What @Orange Julius was saying had to evoke an apocalyptic worst-case scenario.  AI, inherently lacking ANY capacity for irony, as used by the kind of people who, by virture of sheer cultural illiteracy (never mind, for instance, Autism spectrum), have no capacity for it in the first place.  ...Let the Mass-Regression Begin!  Sometimes it feels as if the world is morphing into one giant high school. 

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

@DonnaML if only there were not examples of similar ubiquitous scams.   Just yesterday I saw a 1964 Kennedy half dollar on sale on eBay for $10000.  In the past I have seen common UK 50 pence coins listed for hundreds of pounds.  Just yesterday, I received a telephone call from someone with a foreign accent who was concerned about my “television control box.”  I did not stay on the line long enough to find out the terms and object of the scam.  We all know of Mr. “High-price, Low-value” as I believe you christened him.  And the dealers who, while doing nothing illegal, buy nice coins, artfully photograph them, and list them for 5x what they paid for them.  

We have entered the territory of Muggeridge’s law.  Briefly, he said that parody was no longer possible, because no matter how absurd and ridiculous your parody was, you would shortly thereafter see it enacted in real life, “and probably by people well known.”

I love the idea that the above scheme is a clever parody, and it is even more delightful that I was inclined to take it seriously.  Truly, that’s  the mark of a very good hoax.  But like Mr. Muggeridge, I would not be surprised to see it in actuality.  

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go type up an eBay listing for this coin I’m selling.  It’s a half dollar that was actually in Elvis Presley’s pocket at the time that he died.  

• Like 7

Ah, the AI generated image gives off some very professional vibes, doesn't it? 

Also:

"All these coin have been dug from the soil and put straight into a bag"

"Our Roman coin hoards have been hand picked by our curator for there rarity and uniquness"

Okay, even the greatest experts sometimes write contradictory stuff. I guess we can count ourselves lucky that all coins have been picked for their UNIQUNESS 😭

And at least they are capable of using the right form of their/there, right? RIGHT??

• Like 2
  • Big Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, Hrefn said:

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go type up an eBay listing for this coin I’m selling.  It’s a half dollar that was actually in Elvis Presley’s pocket at the time that he died.  

I'd recommend my listing instead. I'm selling a half dollar that was actually in Julius Caesar's pocket as he went into the Curia of Pompey on the Ides of March.

caesar.png.4e589dc0ff603befd02917222a1c2e3f.png

Edited by Bonshaw
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3
  • Smile 2