Gold prices hit new record high

Brennos

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bonshaw said:

Beautiful, have you ever used it with cream?

Thanks!  That's a cool bronze medal!

No, it has been residing on display in a china cabinet along with other nick knacks and mineral specimens.

Edited by robinjojo

Posted · Supporter
3 hours ago, robinjojo said:

Quite a few years ago there was another runup on the spot price of gold and silver.  I was working for the county at the time, and sometimes I would take the bus from my workplace during lunch and visit my local coin shop.  On one visit I noticed a box of scrap silver destined for the smelter.  I found this object among the flatware, trays, candle holders and other objects, both sterling and plated.  I immediately recognized the elegant form as Georgian silver, a creamer, rather worn but still very attractive.  It was produced by a silversmith, Hester Bateman, around 1787.  She was one of only a handful of female silversmiths in London, and while her pieces generally do not command the premium prices of other contemporary silversmiths, I am still happy to have rescued this charming creamer from oblivion, probably to emerge in the form of a silver round!

D-CameraHesterBatemansilvercreamerc.17874-16-24.jpg.5df9c9224119e7b055a48049e417e2f7.jpg

Not Modern Dutch, I presume? I don't know if you are a fan of P.G. Wodehouse, but this brings irresistibly to mind his novel The Code of The Woosters, and the silver cow creamer. 😄

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The bullion value of my gold “guitar pick” (Bermuda Triangle) has now caught up to what I paid for it (including the slab).

It is .999 fine,  with 1.0114 oz. of bullion.  

Reckon I’ll hang onto it a little longer and then flip it and convert it to some more historical gold or electrum later, maybe.

Sure, it’s modern.  But it’s fun.

IMG_8239.jpeg.d785a533324dd0063d581e422adb204c.jpeg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 5

Old Gold

[IMG]
PERSIA, Achaemenid Empire.
Darios I to Xerxes II.
Circa 485-420 BC.
AV Daric (14mm, 8.30 g). Lydo-Milesian standard. Sardes mint.
Persian king or hero, wearing kidarisand kandys, quiver over shoulder, in kneeling-running stance right, holding spear in right hand, bow in left /
Incuse punch.
Carradice Type IIIb, Group A/B (pl. XIII, 27);
Meadows, Administration 321; BMC Arabia pl. XXIV, 26.

Twenty-five drachmas equals one Daric

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted (edited)

I collect a lot of modern World gold, but really do not photo them.  German, French, British, Aussie, US pre-33, Mexico, China, Italy, etc.etc. Yeah, and bullion and commemoratives.

Looking for Finland 20 Markkaa.

i generally like the approx 1/4 toz size… just feels right.

but, I do have a few of those Mexican 50 Pesos, weighing in at 1.2 toz… another nice size!

not my coin, but same as mine

image.jpeg.43c96f28074e89d60a02b96f6c02566c.jpeg

image.jpeg.ffdc71ccc5cc3913979902f49d1277c6.jpeg

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

• 4 months later...

new record = new coin 🙂

Agatho_light_stater.JPG.3cd74a1ca3297faa400f62dd27efe5c4.JPG

SICILY, Syracuse. Agathokles. 317-289 BC. AV Dekadrachm (2.85 g, 12h). Struck circa 305-289 BC. 
a/ Head of Apollo left, wearing laurel wreath 
r/Charioteer, holding kentron in right hand, reins in left, driving galloping biga right; triskeles below horses, EY monogram in exergue.
Bérend, l’or pl. 9, 11; Gulbenkian 337. 

For Bérend, this rare Apollo/Biga type issue of reduced weight, of which only one obv. die and three rev. dies are known, is the result of an increase in the gold to silver ratio from 1:10 to 1:15. A ratio that today stands at... 1:84 (?!)

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Yes 1

On 4/7/2024 at 5:09 PM, Bonshaw said:

It is often said that the British Guiana 1 cent magenta stap is the most valuable man-made object by weight. That is ruling out antimatter, perhaps, which can't be produced or stored at the macroscopic scale anyway. I believe it (the stamp) is around 40 mg, and sold for $9,480,000 in 2014, so that is $237 million USD per gram. As usual, philatelists have numismatists beaten all to heck in terms of excess. Doesn't this look like something worth $237 million per gram?

R.jpg.97f44afb5bd3f038d74e9bfd9566ecd8.jpg

But now let me go in the opposite direction of this thread. I have idiosyncratic taste in coins. One of my favorites is a modern gold commemorative. It isn't even that attractive. Here is a photo of my coin which is - horror of horrors - entombed in plastic! (Look!  A PF69 Ultra Cameo!!! 🙂)

Provincial.jpg.de0f180d782fe0725f2c98f0e027f6b5.jpg

Just to be extra triggering, I'm using the photo from the NGC website.

This coin is a funny duck for sure, weighing in at 1.22 ounces of gold, with a face value of 350 Canadian dollars. Showcasing the flowers of Canada's coat of arms (and honoring the 90th anniversary of the Royal Canadian Mint, not a favorite of those here), it represents everything that many people hate about modern commemoratives.

So why do I care?  I'm strange. I think that this is the first coin of any material ever minted with 5N (99.999%) purity. No one has told me that, I haven't found it listed anywhere, but I have looked and have failed to find anything this pure minted before 1998. And you can probably pick one up for pretty close to its scrap bullion value.

Why should you care? Well, you probably shouldn't. But I do!

Now back to the main discussion of what ancient gold you bought after selling modern bullion coins.

[Nerd warning]

Actually, no, I had the chance to play a part in the most expensive commodity by weight. It's an element on the periodic table called astatine. 

https://www.luciteria.com/element-cubes/astatine-lucite-cube

Rasiel 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rasiel said:

[Nerd warning]

Actually, no, I had the chance to play a part in the most expensive commodity by weight. It's an element on the periodic table called astatine. 

https://www.luciteria.com/element-cubes/astatine-lucite-cube

Rasiel 

Ok, you win! 

Let's start a new category then: the most expensive man-made object per gram with half-life longer than a human lifetime?

11 minutes ago, rasiel said:

Guys, it's a fool's errand. When the price of gold goes up what it really means is that the purchasing power of the dollar is going down. You're never actually ahead. 

Rasiel 

If the dollar completely loses value, you can bonk your neighbor on the head with your heavy chunk of gold and steal their food. You even get to keep the gold afterwards. That's called getting ahead 🙂

(Please only use precious metals and ancient coins peaceably, good neighbor)

15 minutes ago, Bonshaw said:

Ok, you win! 

Let's start a new category then: the most expensive man-made object per gram with half-life longer than a human lifetime?

here's a candidate:

$56,4429.05/gram

image.png.00c3c0e13f394aee8dec20e801c237b3.png

and this one sold for $8,300,000 (June 2021, dropping in value from $9,480,000) and only weighs 0.04g == $207,500,000 per gram

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Guiana_1c_magenta

image.jpeg.c74833a12902f0012d56463e60ff6bab.jpeg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 3