Dealers who market slabs

Posted · Supporter

If this were widely understood, and I do not believe it is, the enthusiasm for slabbed coins in the ancient coin collecting community would probably decrease markedly.

• Like 4

@Restitutor, I think it would be very useful if there were a forum where useful general information for ancient coin collectors could be captured from some of these discussions.

This thread is an example. It is bringing together, through the input of many forum participants, the current state of guarantees of authenticity for slabbed ancient coins provided by the TPG slab companies (NGC and ANACS), and auction houses / dealers (CNG, Heritage, Stacks-Bowers, Great Collections, Davissons...), and how those guarantees of the slab companies and the auction houses / dealers interact. This is important stuff, some of the information is confusing to even some experts here, and it would be great to have it "pinned" somewhere for reference.

The "Forum Rules and FAQs" folder seems to be more administrative. Is there anywhere we could put a summary post of all the information in this thread that would be more accessible in the future?

Edited by Bonshaw
  • Like 1

I am also reading with interest!

John, here is CNG's policy from 2006:

"Guaranty and Return Privilege. All items are guaranteed genuine. Any coin order may be returned within fourteen days of receipt for any reason. The customer shall bear the cost of returning all items and shall insure them for their full value. Books are not sent on approval and are not subject to return."

https://web.archive.org/web/20061207033919/http://www.cngcoins.com/Static.aspx?id=2

Rasiel

• Like 2