Caligula down! Now just two left to finish the Twelve Caesars!

@GERMANICVS - thank you!  I like that sestertius.  There was a very nice example of that type in the Heritage auction.  It too went for really crazy money- over $4,000 USD, as I recall.

@JeandAcre - I never had the pleasure of doing business with Mr. Cederlind, let alone meeting him.  But I did have several of his coins in my watch list when he was a VCoins dealer.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor

A very nice example for Caligula, @lordmarcovan. I am making no active effort to put together a 12 Caesars set myself -- acquiring Julius Caesar and Otho would cost me more than I'm willing to spend! -- but do have one coin portraying Caligula, also a Vesta as, acquired relatively inexpensively on Ebay some years ago:

Caligula, AE As, 37-38 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head left, C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT/ Rev. Vesta seated left, holding patera and scepter, VESTA above, S - C across field. RIC I 38, Sear RCV I 1803, Cohen 27, BMCRE 46.  30x28 mm., 10.32 g.

image.png.2ae0f72ecc49fb89b9edd14969be9970.png

I am not counting my two other coins issued by Caligula, one portraying Germanicus and the other Agrippa.

I never did business with Tom Cederlind either -- he died in 2015, before I began actively collecting ancient coins -- but my Tiberius denarius a/k/a "Tribute Penny," which I bought from Kirk Davis in 2018, is ex Tom Cederlind Sale 86 (1989), and my Crispina sestertius, ex @Julius Germanicus and ex CNG 2007, is ex Tom Cederlind before that year.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Anaximander said:

I'm not seeing any denarii in @lordmarcovan's parade of coins for Caligula, so here's my float... 
Wave as it goes by 👋

image.jpeg.0f7e6210986d451ed42e9c199ed660c7.jpeg  image.jpeg.3aa4e4c0827c4cca0abe43cfa0a622a7.jpeg  

We can hold a triumph worthy of Caesar when lordmarcovan gets all Twelve Caesars.  Maybe we'll even share our virtual trays. 

There’s a reason for that.  I’ve seen the prices on those things!  Wow.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2024 at 2:44 PM, Qcumbor said:

Well done @lordmarcovan

My own Caligula is pretty nice in hand, but because of a pitted glossy patina a nightmare to take pictures of. I never succeeded so far 😞 

040e02e45e3a4548905a558b86c5ca6b.jpg

Q

I tried something different : instead of picturing the coin from the setup, I held it in hand and played with the light. It's a first for me 🙂 

A software removed the background. The result is so-so because the sofware ended giving low resolution pictures. I have to improve that. Anyway, the coin looks much much better than it did previously, doesn't it ?

0050-310-3.jpg.f6248ece77bebbd49d82fa8101d822ef.jpg

Q

• Like 4

Nice addition @lordmarcovan. I've finally got around to photographing my As of Caligula, so here it is. 

RomanImperial_Gaius_As_Vesta.jpg.4d203ed69c4899e1db3e0522161aa59e.jpg

Caius (Caligula). AD 37-41. AE As (28.5 mm, 12.98 g). Rome mint. AD 37-38. C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare head left / VESTA above, S C across field, Vesta seated left, holding patera and sceptre. RIC I 38.

Ex Dr. W. R. Collection; Fritz Rudolf Kuenker, Auction 396 (14 November 2023), lot), 1316Bankhaus Aufhäuser München, Auction 10 (5 October 1993), lot 354; Kircheldorf Stuttgart, Auction XVII (8 May 1967), lot 193.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

35 minutes ago, Romancollector said:

Nice addition @lordmarcovan. I've finally got around to photographing my As of Caligula, so here it is. 

RomanImperial_Gaius_As_Vesta.jpg.4d203ed69c4899e1db3e0522161aa59e.jpg

Caius (Caligula). AD 37-41. AE As (28.5 mm, 12.98 g). Rome mint. AD 37-38. C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare head left / VESTA above, S C across field, Vesta seated left, holding patera and sceptre. RIC I 38.

Ex Dr. W. R. Collection; Fritz Rudolf Kuenker, Auction 396 (14 November 2023), lot), 1316Bankhaus Aufhäuser München, Auction 10 (5 October 1993), lot 354; Kircheldorf Stuttgart, Auction XVII (8 May 1967), lot 193.

I’m quite envious of that one.  Such a sharp portrait and nice surfaces, too!

I’d prefer one like that, to be honest, but I always get sticker shock when I see the prices… 😬 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 9:28 PM, Romancollector said:

That's a hell of a coin there, they don't come much better than that!

I don't have a Caligula yet. Hoping to score a nice denarius some day.

Rasiel

• Like 1