New coin - a lovely young Faustina II portrait denarius

CPK

Posted · Supporter

Good afternoon to all my fellow Numis Forum members! Hope your weekend is going well.

Today I'd like to present the latest addition to my collection of quality denarii - this time a lovely young portrait denarius of Faustina II, daughter of Antoninus Pius, wife of Marcus Aurelius, and mother of Commodus:

FaustinaIIdenariusLaetitia.jpg.b9d635062913bcdf92cc4ee3ec7ab6f5.jpg

FAUSTINA II, as Augusta under Antoninus Pius
AR Denarius (18.79mm, 3.12g, 7h)
Struck Dec. AD 147/8. Rome mint
Obverse: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, bare-headed and draped bust of Faustina II right, wearing Beckmann Type 1 hairstyle
Reverse: LAETITIAE PVBLICAE, Laetitia, draped, standing left, holding diadem in extended right hand and vertical sceptre in left
References: RIC III 506a, RCV 4705
Attractively toned with hints of iridescence. A particularly beautiful young portrait of Faustina, struck in high relief. This reverse type proclaiming joy to the public (LAETITIAE PVBLICAE) was struck to commemorate the birth of Faustina's first child, daughter Domitia Faustina, born late in AD 147.
From the Dr. Hugh Preston Collection. Ex Dr. Busso Peus Nachfolger, 4/22/2010

This coin took a while coming, traveling across the world from Noble Numismatics Ltd. in Australia. One of Noble's latest auctions featured an extensive collection of Faustina coins, both elder and younger, from the collection of Dr. Hugh Preston. Dr. Preston is a well-known numismatist, a member of the Numismatic Association of Australia, and the founder of the coin business Romanorum. To quote the Romanorum website,

"Hugh has written many articles for the Australasian Coin and Banknote magazine under the "Roman World" banner and has also published articles in Archaeological Diggings and Annali degli Istituto Italiano di Numismatica. In 2007 he gave a plenary address on Images in the Roman World, at the Numismatic Association of Australia (NAA) biennial conference."

The Noble auction included many interesting and rare types, but I was primarily interested in picking up a good portrait coin. I am very pleased with this specimen. The combination of excellent portrait, good strike, and attractive toning makes for a very appealing coin in hand. It was also nice to do business in a currency worth less than the US dollar for a change. 😜

Thanks for looking! Feel free to comment and/or post your own favorite Faustina II portraits.

• Like 18
  • Heart Eyes 13

Excellent coin Connor! Congratulations. Here is my Faustina II.

Faustina_II_Ses_Diana.jpeg.d0c80fb822aba8a7ae4f4c08f126bb6b.jpeg
Roman Empire
Faustina II, daughter of Antoninus Pius and wife of Marcus Aurelius 
AE Sestertius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 156
Dia.: 33mm
Wt.: 26.11g 
Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA AVG PII F; Draped bust right 
Rev.: S-C; Diana standing left, holding bow and arrow
Ref.: C 206; RIC A. Pius 1383; BMCRE 2194
Ex Naville Numismatics Auction 61, lot 449 (November 8, 2020), includes old collector tag.

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 9

Posted · Supporter
Just now, Curtisimo said:

Excellent coin Connor! Congratulations. Here is my Faustina II.

Faustina_II_Ses_Diana.jpeg.d0c80fb822aba8a7ae4f4c08f126bb6b.jpeg
Roman Empire
Faustina II, daughter of Antoninus Pius and wife of Marcus Aurelius 
AE Sestertius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 156
Dia.: 33mm
Wt.: 26.11g 
Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA AVG PII F; Draped bust right 
Rev.: S-C; Diana standing left, holding bow and arrow
Ref.: C 206; RIC A. Pius 1383; BMCRE 2194
Ex Naville Numismatics Auction 61, lot 449 (November 8, 2020), includes old collector tag.

That's a fantastic, more mature portrait! And a great reverse too.

Any idea what old collection it's from?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely gorgeous, @CPK! Very fine style portrait, well-struck, well-centered, and with lovely toning. The historical context in which it was struck only adds to its charm. Coingratulations! It also comes in a stephaned bust variety. 

FaustinaJrLAETITIAEPVBLICAEdenariusstephane.jpg.85a20c51034fef4bbd560102a8fdd592.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.63 g, 17.3 mm, 5 h.
Rome, December 147 - early148 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust, right, wearing stephane (Beckmann Type 1 hairstyle).
Rev: LAETITIAE PVBLICAE, Laetitia standing left, holding wreath and scepter.
Refs: RIC 506c; BMC 1050; Cohen --; Strack 491; RCV --; CRE 196.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 minutes ago, CPK said:

That's a fantastic, more mature portrait! And a great reverse too.

Any idea what old collection it's from?

I’ve been researching this coin’s provenance for a while but with no luck. I haven’t found any leads on the collection tag but in a conversation with Curtis JJ he mentioned it looks like an Italian collector tag. I’m still hopeful to find a provenance for it in an old catalog as I expand my library.
IMG_4742.jpeg.6d8f90fd4007dbd0fb62f56e0876f898.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted · Supporter
1 hour ago, Roman Collector said:

Absolutely gorgeous, @CPK! Very fine style portrait, well-struck, well-centered, and with lovely toning. The historical context in which it was struck only adds to its charm. Coingratulations! It also comes in a stephaned bust variety. 

FaustinaJrLAETITIAEPVBLICAEdenariusstephane.jpg.85a20c51034fef4bbd560102a8fdd592.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.63 g, 17.3 mm, 5 h.
Rome, December 147 - early148 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust, right, wearing stephane (Beckmann Type 1 hairstyle).
Rev: LAETITIAE PVBLICAE, Laetitia standing left, holding wreath and scepter.
Refs: RIC 506c; BMC 1050; Cohen --; Strack 491; RCV --; CRE 196.

Nice one, and a rare type too isn't it?

Thanks, by the way, for the wealth of information you share here and elsewhere - most of what I learned about my coin came from your posts. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Big Smile 1

Posted · Supporter

Wonderful new acquisition @CPK 

This one was a few years later when she was 25/26

Faustina II AR Denarius, 18mm, 3.27g. RIC 495a, RSC 15, BMC 1099

Rome mint 156/7 CE

FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right / AVGVSTI PII FIL, Venus standing left holding Victory and resting hand on shield set on a helmet.

20240519_125307__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.bc5f1545a721c524c7bc8d7eee46c405.png
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted (edited)

Lovely coin, @CPK, and an interesting reference to Beckmann (Faustina: Faustina the Younger: Coinage, Portraits, and Public Image. ANSNS 43. NY 2021. Die study and typology of her hairstyles). Until now, Beckmann wasn't on my radar, so a new reference to consult.  Thanks! 

image.jpeg.bd7a80723042be138b7b89d7fa2dcebe.jpeg image.jpeg.18263b0b14fb0e95627b9531742bf6b9.jpeg

Roman Empire. Faustina Junior, Augusta and wife of Marcus Aurelius. †175 AD. AR Denarius (3.37 gm, 18.8mm, 1h) of Rome, 161-175 AD. Draped bust of Faustina, right. FAVSTINA AVGVSTA.  / Hilaritas standing left, holding cornucopiae and palm frond. HILARITAS. Ragged flan, otherwise EF. RIC III (M. Aurelius) #686; BMCRE (same) 100; RSC II #111; MIR 15; SRCV II #5254. 

Hilaritas has been described as gaiety or joy personified, even cheerful serenity. Laetitia, on your coin and on that of @Roman Collector, is the Roman goddess of gaiety (laeta = happy, glad, lucky, successful, prosperous, luxurious, lush...). Faustina must have been quite popular! 

Edited by Anaximander
It's "gaiety." Sometimes I get it right, sometimes not.
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

The title says it best; it is indeed a lovely denarius of Faustina II.  You've been pretty disciplined about adding quality pieces. I see some hints of rainbow toning.  It's another nice addition.

How long does shipping take from Australia?

The only non-bulk Faustina II I have was a wonderful Secret Saturnalia present from CPK!

FaustinaJr.-AESestertius-32.62mm24.19gRIC1383-156AD-RxDianadrapedstandingleftSSgift.jpg.e64c225365751279c4bc88f27a00ba6f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Posted · Supporter
1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

The title says it best; it is indeed a lovely denarius of Faustina II.  You've been pretty disciplined about adding quality pieces. I see some hints of rainbow toning.  It's another nice addition.

How long does shipping take from Australia?

The only non-bulk Faustina II I have was a wonderful Secret Saturnalia present from CPK!

FaustinaJr.-AESestertius-32.62mm24.19gRIC1383-156AD-RxDianadrapedstandingleftSSgift.jpg.e64c225365751279c4bc88f27a00ba6f.jpg

Thanks!

Shipping took about two weeks...but since I was a first time customer paying via credit card, they waited for a couple weeks before shipping the item. So about a month total.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg.b86e165b41506651e56b109720d04eec.jpeg

AR Denarius 18mm. 3.10g. Rome Mint 156-175 A.D. Draped bust r., wearing stephane. FAVSTINA AVGVSTA Juno, veiled, seated l. on low seat, holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet. IVNONI REGINAE RIC III 698; RSC II 145

Edited by MrMonkeySwag96
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

Posted · Supporter
13 minutes ago, MrMonkeySwag96 said:

image.jpeg.b86e165b41506651e56b109720d04eec.jpeg

AR Denarius 18mm. 3.10g. Rome Mint 156-175 A.D. Draped bust r., wearing stephane. FAVSTINA AVGVSTA Juno, veiled, seated l. on low seat, holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet. IVNONI REGINAE RIC III 698; RSC II 145

Wow, mint state! 🤩

Posted · Supporter
1 minute ago, MrMonkeySwag96 said:

The dealer graded it as Good VF. It has nice flow lines though

Really? I would have thought more like EF. The only visible wear that I can see is a bit on Faustina's hair waves - everywhere else, including the reverse, seems pretty sharp!

Regardless though, I'd give it a 5/5 for eye appeal. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor

Some beautiful coins shown in this thread!

This example is in rather poor condition compared to what I usually like to buy, but I still find the portrait of a young Faustina II to be very appealing:

image.jpeg.70b225218ac43df2088464752da995d1.jpeg

And this is probably my favorite older portrait, showing Faustina II with her twin sons, born on 31 August, AD 161: Titus Aurelius Fulvus Antoninus (the older twin, d. 165 AD) and Commodus, sitting together on a pulvinar.

image.jpeg.ed08f0f1b60df6459fcba552322ac755.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2

Posted · Supporter
8 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Some beautiful coins shown in this thread!

This example is in rather poor condition compared to what I usually like to buy, but I still find the portrait of a young Faustina II to be very appealing:

image.jpeg.70b225218ac43df2088464752da995d1.jpeg

And this is probably my favorite older portrait, showing Faustina II with her twin sons, born on 31 August, AD 161: Titus Aurelius Fulvus Antoninus (the older twin, d. 165 AD) and Commodus, sitting together on a pulvinar.

image.jpeg.ed08f0f1b60df6459fcba552322ac755.jpeg

Great coins, thanks for posting! I like the reverse type on the second. In that recent Noble auction I was watching a few other Faustina reverse types, including my favorite of her standing holding and surrounded by her children. But I ended up deciding to prioritize portrait over reverse type.

Posted · Supporter

Fantastic coin @CPK! A great portrait indeed, lovely toning too. I also still enjoy your photo background, looks really good 🙂

Unfortunately, I don't have a denarius of Faustina II. Well, I once did, a long time ago before starting collecting ancients on a more or less serious basis. Had picked it up at a antique fair. Of course it was a fake. Little did I know. 

Anyway, keep showing your quality portraits. I enjoy seeing them! 

• Thanks 1