I checked this painting also with the museum in Antwerp and Sotheby's : both dated it in the 17 century. The museum said me that the flowers are maybe a tool to identify the painter and Sotheby's indicated an imitator of Carlo dei Fiori. The painting is on canvas without cover up and represent the Child Christus as Salvator Mundi in a flower wreath. The Salvator Mundi has the right hand lifted and is a well know representation in the Flemish art in the 16/17 century. Flowers are painted since the second half of the 16 century by Jan Breughel and later in collaboration with Rubens. The flowers are painted very realistic and all seasons are mixed. It is possible that the child has been

painted by a second painter. I think the frame is still the original.

image.png.195eaeac3dcbc3673696aa444d27cbb3.png

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

A last painting for this week : a Baroque Madonna with Child on canvas, 43 cm x 32.5 cm, 17° century, origine Italy.The canvas has been covered up. The faces of Maria and her Child are typical for Italy in this period in Florence. image.png.e227de573dfd0fceab87feb2f9278f0f.pngGiovanni Battista Salvi da Sassoferrato in het Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.The painting is maybe a part of a bigger one that has been damaged; The frame is typical Baroque and if not original very old.

image.png.d9329dcfc1e35900f222ea16ed9c3c98.png

image.png

• Like 2

A last painting for this century, it has to be cleaned, but the price was very,very good.

image.png.df8784e472bd6631d69ff3f3e2d1cf6d.png

Oil on panel, 33 cm x 26 cm,showing a shipwreck.

In this period, new genre and subjects were created. Her we have the representation of a ship sinking in a storm. Interesting here the subdivision of the scene : only 1/3 represents the sea.

One of the most important painter for the creating of this genre is Jan Porcellis ( Ghent 1583/85- Zouterwoude (The Netherlands 1632). He came to Antwerp in 1618, after living in Rotterdam and London. To make money for living, he made a contract with a art dealet tp paint two paintings a week during 20 weeks. He painted no more the ships, but the beauty of the sea and the changing weather. This technique made him well know and even Rubens and Rembrandt collected his paintings.

It is possible this painting is one of the 40 he made in Antwerp, because he did not stay a very long time because of the political situation at that moment and there was, because the war period, very little commerce in between the different parts of the Low Countries at that moment.

• Like 4

Before the paintings of Modern Time ( end 19° - 20° cent.), I have 2 beautiful artworks to present. First a French one of the 18° century.

image.png.6bcda542f55d8fb23a4b977bc40abe5a.png

Oil on canvas, 72cm x 53 cm, 18° century, France I suppose.

It shows the local live in a little place. I hope to have more time tomorrow to explain details, because it is very interesting and, maybe, sometimes a little bit shocking.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

The painting shows the typical live in a small village in the 18° century and, I think; the live is still the same today. Some people is playing a kind of 'petanque', others are playing cards or are discussing. Interesting is the man alone in the middle : he has no contact with the villagers and he is clothed otherwise. Is he a voyager or is he not allowed to have physical contacts because disease... ? For the rest, this are just as now : a woman drives home her drunken husband, who is still holding a beer ( right of the man alone). The only difference with now is the fact there were no toilets in that time....

Interesting also is to compare the houses as they looked at that time and now. If you compare, than often there has been no or little change since then on the old houses, still existing. I was lucky to buy a farm, dated 1732 in 1987 with only minor dammage of the Ardennes Offensive in 1944/45, ( at 7 km from Houffalize and 35 km from the 'Nuts' of Bastogne). 

• Like 1

this is my last one  before the end of the 19° century : oil on panel, 71 cm x 55 cm, dated 1827, signed Van Assche Henry ( 1774-1841) : landscape view with a farm.

The last painting before showing the ones we have inherited from my wife's family.   Then we go to the end of the 19° of and the beginning of the 20 ° century. More explanations tomorrow, I hope.

image.png.1f488a80f7c2c89541d9653cf7b43db0.png

• Like 1

Van Assche is well known for his neo-classic style. This style was a reaction on the Rococo and Baroque ans a revival of the Antiquity, showing everything as natural as possible. The painting represents a typical Flemish landscape in Brabant in the 18° century. The work is signed and dated right under : Hry Van Assche,1827. The cow are maybe painted by another painter Balthazar Paul Ommeganck as knwn for ome other paintings.

image.png.f6362317faa485a0ebcbbcecd6a51b57.png

• Like 1

Hi I missed this one, which seems also OK to me

Best,

Didier

In the category of paintings I have a superb one dated to 1895. The painter, Nerinord, is barely known and not quoted. He was in the same promotion than Sisley at the Ecole des Beaux Arts de Paris. I bought it years ago on eBay France for €200, which is barely the price of the splendid frame. 

IMG_20240509_115355.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Nice painting and special frame. I think not many people like this kind of painting, it is special but by looking at, I appreciate it more and more. I think you need time to like it if it is not ' un coup de coeur'.

I take now a little stop for my paintings before to go to the end of the 19° century. I don t know much of this period, but they are in the style of the pintings of Sisley, you named. Most are from painters of Bruges, the town of the family of my wife. Albert

• Like 1

Hi Albert,

Yes this was a 'coup de coeur', but I still enjoy it very much. The painting is 32 x 40 cm and the frame 55 x 62 cm. The painting is in the Preraphaelite style of British painters like Dante Gabriel Rossetti or Edward Burn-Jones. The painting is on a heavy cardboard and was pretty dirty when I got it. I very gently cleaned it with sections of onions to reveal the details of the hairs, earing, eyebrow, etc. This procedure is very safe and does not alter the oils, as you can easily see on the attached pictures, at least ten years after the cleaning.

Best,

Didier

IMG_20240710_083832.jpg

IMG_20240710_083903.jpg

• Like 2

9Yes, it seems easely and I think you can trusr it for paintings, not to old. I don t know for my collection, but if ever there was a cleaning and a protection after ? For me, I prefer to buy something else and to keep the painting as is, the prizes to clean are rudiculous high. I am nowin the Belgian Ardennes, near to Bastogne and I hope to have time to make pictures of the paitings here.

Next saturday I am invited for a marriage of 65 years of good friends here from 11 h: church...... the are very sympatical people we known since about 35 years. They only problem is they have well know fâmily name, Dutroux... I think you understand and here in the village, un coin perdu ou plutôt un bled, there are not alone. 

I was looking the your paintig and I like it more and more. I think you made a god deal buying it. Albert