Found My Grandfather's Collection

Hello,

I found my grandfather's coin collection. I have taken some photos and scanned in all of his notes/inventories.

I know nothing about coins and would like to understand which are valuable and which are not.

I'd like to keep the best of the best for my children and sell or donate the rest.

Do non-profit coin dealers that support local charities exist?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the Forum!

If you are able to post the photos of the coins here, members of this Forum would love to help you out in terms of identification and rough values, and show you the methods for acquiring such information. 

I am not aware of any non-profit coin dealers. You haven't stated your location, but in the UK, OXFAM have a Coins section. However, I have never seen any ancient coins listed.

I would personally be more inclined to sell them and donate the proceeds. For this you can either sell privately (on eBay or such) which entails extra hassle and time but can be more profitable, or you can consign them to an auction house or dealer which would be a lot more convenient and they would do all the legwork in terms of identification and valuations for you, while also opening your coins up to a larger client base. Again, members on this Forum have a lot of experience in this area and would be happy to help. 

What is the nature of the collection? Is it Ancient or Modern, and can you narrow down further to another category Ancient Roman or British Gold?

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1