My EAC Purchases

ChrisB

Last week I attended and assisted with the 2024 Early American Coppers (EAC) convention in Indianapolis. I don't have a strong interest in US large and half cents. I had a strong interest 10 or so years ago but it passed when my world coin affliction took hold. Over the course of the weekend I was able to pick up a few things that were of interest. 

One of the first things that caught my attention early on in collecting was Conder tokens. The Skidmore Globe Penny tokens have interested but I had never seen one in person.  There are 30+ varieties with various architecture on the obverse. This one is D&H 132 with Sherborne Castle. The pictures don't don it justice. The surfaces are prooflike.  image.jpeg.708630a0a34e63279d930989cd588180.jpeg

SKIDMORE’S GLOBE SERIES

O: SHERBORNE. CASTLE. OXFORDSHIRE
R: A globe between a rose and thistle. BRITISH. PENNY. 1797.
E: I PROMISE TO PAY ON DEMAND THE BEARER ONE PENNY.

I have wanted a St Patrick's farthing since I learned of them. I may have to start a topic on the series. The EAC sale had 6 varieties and I was able to secure one. It is an interesting piece with nice provenance. 

image.jpeg.fecac770a2f665f9b0cb31e994cc8a95.jpeg

(1652-74) St. Patrick Farthing, Martin 4c.4-Cb.2, not in Griffee, Breen-213, R7 PCGS graded F15. Type with "Sea Beasts Below King, Stars in Legend." Glossy medium brown with olive brown in protected areas. The splasher is bright golden tan and is offset to the right covering only a third of the crown. The surfaces are smooth but there are many tiny lumps from die rust. Late die state with a strong die crack from the feet of St. Patrick to the church. This piece has the eye appeal of a higher grade. Martin listed this piece and second finest of only 7 examples known to him. Weight 83.8 grains. The attribution and Martin Collection provenance are noted on the PCGS label. 915685.15/47375110 Ex John Agre & Dave Wnuck (Coin Rarities Online)-Jim LaSarre 12/2009-Sydney F. Martin Collection-Martin Estate, Stack's Bowers 11/13/2023:1387 (includes the Martin collection envelope and lot ticket)

A recent new interest of mine is Admiral Vernon medals. There are a lot of varieties to these as well. image.jpeg.d9933c41d5b8b44cae7dad8f578dd8bb.jpeg

Sharp but the obverse (Admiral Vernon side) was lightly cleaned. The obverse is golden tan; the reverse is frosty light brown with brassy tan in protected areas. Superior to the Newman example that was badly stained. Diameter 49.9mm, weight 267.0 grains. Ex Dix Noonan Webb Auctions 6/19/2002:723

Lastly, I picked up 3 hard times tokens from the EAC charity auction Friday night. These were purchased mostly to help the club. There was enthusiastic bidding to say the least. 

image.jpeg.0759429ddca337f631d1d70b8a4e5776.jpeg

image.jpeg.80086c83399d16f095cf685b44a3666c.jpeg

image.jpeg.9f0ffd213df12ca7509239ceae71d141.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Mind blown 1

@ChrisB, just to scratch the surface, that Admiral Vernon is Benignly Insane.

And since a few of us here (betting you're one, but I forget offhand) gravitate toward architectural Conders, here's a picture of Sherburne, going back to the 12th century.  But the rebuild was largely by none other than Sir Walter Raleigh.

undefined

https://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English sites/4874.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

@ChrisB, just to scratch the surface, that Admiral Vernon is Benignly Insane.

And since a few of us here (betting you're one, but I forget offhand) gravitate toward architectural Conders, here's a picture of Sherburne, going back to the 12th century.  But the rebuild was largely by none other than Sir Walter Raleigh.

undefined

https://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English sites/4874.html

You would be correct. The architectural ones are some of my favorites. I try to stay with themes that are historically interesting to me. My collection of Conders is much smaller than it once was but I am being a lot more picky now. The Admiral Vernon medal is even nicer in hand if you can believe that. I feel it was one of the few bargains of the sale even though it wasn't cheap. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
11 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Last week I attended and assisted with the 2024 Early American Coppers (EAC) convention in Indianapolis. I don't have a strong interest in US large and half cents. I had a strong interest 10 or so years ago but it passed when my world coin affliction took hold. Over the course of the weekend I was able to pick up a few things that were of interest. 

One of the first things that caught my attention early on in collecting was Conder tokens. The Skidmore Globe Penny tokens have interested but I had never seen one in person.  There are 30+ varieties with various architecture on the obverse. This one is D&H 132 with Sherborne Castle. The pictures don't don it justice. The surfaces are prooflike.  image.jpeg.708630a0a34e63279d930989cd588180.jpeg

SKIDMORE’S GLOBE SERIES

O: SHERBORNE. CASTLE. OXFORDSHIRE
R: A globe between a rose and thistle. BRITISH. PENNY. 1797.
E: I PROMISE TO PAY ON DEMAND THE BEARER ONE PENNY.

I have wanted a St Patrick's farthing since I learned of them. I may have to start a topic on the series. The EAC sale had 6 varieties and I was able to secure one. It is an interesting piece with nice provenance. 

image.jpeg.fecac770a2f665f9b0cb31e994cc8a95.jpeg

(1652-74) St. Patrick Farthing, Martin 4c.4-Cb.2, not in Griffee, Breen-213, R7 PCGS graded F15. Type with "Sea Beasts Below King, Stars in Legend." Glossy medium brown with olive brown in protected areas. The splasher is bright golden tan and is offset to the right covering only a third of the crown. The surfaces are smooth but there are many tiny lumps from die rust. Late die state with a strong die crack from the feet of St. Patrick to the church. This piece has the eye appeal of a higher grade. Martin listed this piece and second finest of only 7 examples known to him. Weight 83.8 grains. The attribution and Martin Collection provenance are noted on the PCGS label. 915685.15/47375110 Ex John Agre & Dave Wnuck (Coin Rarities Online)-Jim LaSarre 12/2009-Sydney F. Martin Collection-Martin Estate, Stack's Bowers 11/13/2023:1387 (includes the Martin collection envelope and lot ticket)

A recent new interest of mine is Admiral Vernon medals. There are a lot of varieties to these as well. image.jpeg.d9933c41d5b8b44cae7dad8f578dd8bb.jpeg

Sharp but the obverse (Admiral Vernon side) was lightly cleaned. The obverse is golden tan; the reverse is frosty light brown with brassy tan in protected areas. Superior to the Newman example that was badly stained. Diameter 49.9mm, weight 267.0 grains. Ex Dix Noonan Webb Auctions 6/19/2002:723

Lastly, I picked up 3 hard times tokens from the EAC charity auction Friday night. These were purchased mostly to help the club. There was enthusiastic bidding to say the least. 

image.jpeg.0759429ddca337f631d1d70b8a4e5776.jpeg

image.jpeg.80086c83399d16f095cf685b44a3666c.jpeg

image.jpeg.9f0ffd213df12ca7509239ceae71d141.jpeg

A wonderful haul! I have been tempted many times to buy an Admiral Vernon medal, but have yet actually to do so. Yours is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1