What defines an Arab-Byzantine War Issue?

O-Towner

Came across this coin which I had put away many years ago because I couldn't properly identify it. Did some more research and it turns out it maybe fits what's called an Arab-Byzantine War issue. Here it is:

Obv: Heraclius holding long cross on left and Heraclius Constantine on right holding globus cruciger

Rev: Large M between A/N/N/O and X/X/Y; K above B below, CON in exergue

Size: 15x20mm, 4.3gms

HeracliusArab-ByzantineWarAe.jpg.b2ea73b2934abd3f4943162386d5f38b.jpg

I'm really not familiar with these (at all) but on doing some research they say that these types would be dated year 25 (which this one is) but there's no description of the other design aspects (the K, B or CON). Also, I've seen some similar issues sold as Arab-Byzantine war but they're not year 25.

So ... is this an Arab-Byzantine war issue and exactly what defines it?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

Posted (edited)

...Best of luck, @O-Towner.  As underresearched as a lot of Medieval coins are, you have my (edit:) sincere commiseration.

...This has to be made up.  But it landed on me, wouldn't it be cool if this wasn't just an Islamic issue, but actually used an AH rather than a regnal date, making it just a shade posthumous for Heraclius?  --I don't believe it either, but it was a fun thought.

Edited by JeandAcre

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, O-Towner said:

Came across this coin which I had put away many years ago because I couldn't properly identify it. Did some more research and it turns out it maybe fits what's called an Arab-Byzantine War issue. Here it is:

Obv: Heraclius holding long cross on left and Heraclius Constantine on right holding globus cruciger

Rev: Large M between A/N/N/O and X/X/Y; K above B below, CON in exergue

Size: 15x20mm, 4.3gms

HeracliusArab-ByzantineWarAe.jpg.b2ea73b2934abd3f4943162386d5f38b.jpg

I'm really not familiar with these (at all) but on doing some research they say that these types would be dated year 25 (which this one is) but there's no description of the other design aspects (the K, B or CON). Also, I've seen some similar issues sold as Arab-Byzantine war but they're not year 25.

So ... is this an Arab-Byzantine war issue and exactly what defines it?

The military mint issues you are thinking of are from "Neapolis" (usually indicated by the officina N, or the mintmark NEA, and not to be confused with the Neapolis in Italy), from the 25th regnal year of Heraclius' reign, just before the disastrous battle of Yarmouk. Unfortunately, however, your coin is a follis of Constans II & Constantine IV, from the 15th regnal year of Constans II's reign, often indicated by the K above the M, though sometimes there is just a simple cross. Below I have attached pictures of both a follis from Neapolis and the follis type you have (Sear 1010, Constans II). (Neither coin is mine)
image01581.jpgimage00932.jpg

Edited by Zimm
  • Like 6

I think you're conflating the Arab-Byzantine series (early Islamic issues imitating Byzantine protoypes) with earlier coins attributed to the "revolt of the Heraclii" and imitations of Byzantine coins struck under Persian occupation.

• Like 3