Does Anyone Else Do This?

Posted · Supporter

In 2020, I organized and photographed my Byzantine coins and began recording relevant info about them in the Notes program of my iPad.  Additions after this have received a catalogue number which is the year and the number of the coin purchase for that year, so 2021.17 would be the seventeenth coin purchased in 2021.  
I document the price, seller, and month of purchase at minimum.  Any information or speculation about the coin, even pictures of similar coins, the price of similar coins for sale, screenshots of the auction listing and invoice,  and anecdotes about the subject of the coin may be recorded as well. Because Notes is an electronic record, links to online catalogues, scholarly sites, etc are also added.  The entries are expandable essentially without limit.  

This originally worked very well, but now that I have 5 years of new purchases which are in the Notes program in chronological order, the logical order of the initial catalogue is lost.  The new purchases are just a jumble, because the sequence in which I buy new coins does not follow any plan.  In the initial catalogue, all the coins of Anastasius are together.  But I have to scroll through each subsequent year’s accumulated purchases to get the rest of them.  

The utility of a physical card catalogue or a ring binder with pages which can be repositioned is now making sense to me.  I know I can reorder all these entries electronically also, but it is not as easy and enjoyable as a physical record would be.   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

LOL, I am the absolute worse person with books.  I write, score, dog-ear, underline, comment, bookmark, hilite, and many other things to fully utilize my reference books.  Yup, I may be a pariah, but it seems the only and best way for this dyslexic mind to absorb the info.  Heck, I even do this to fiction books!

image.jpeg.faf397f94c863efb0ee6c6f96ae55506.jpegimage.jpeg.e8eb7dd16cc0181c4bf32d0d548c53c5.jpegimage.jpeg.29130800792332b064a1c103d5ec4819.jpegimage.jpeg.c72e0032fa0c491237c33e2cf3623c11.jpegimage.jpeg.d3e0db4cd0189b206cfe7f686f624ae9.jpeg

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 4
  • Big Smile 1
  • Shock 1
  • Yes 1