South Indian Coins...

Posted (edited)

With @JFCampos posting, I thought it would be nice to post some South Indian coins here on this forum. These coppers are difficult to identify without the proper books to aid and even then some of the attributions are subjective. I'll start with the following one:

Thanjavur Nayakas: Vijaya Raghava Nayaka (1640-1673) Æ Kasu (MCSI 758; Ganesh 505; Zeno 127970)

Obv: Garuda standing facing
Rev: Devanagari - श्री रा / घव (Sri Ra / ghava)

image.jpeg.a0309e614a0a18fcf17ba55b5654a55b.jpeg

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

I made this map a few years ago, probably needs an update. 

COINMAP.png.b5214c4c3cc1aae1ee7f949816b5cf1e.png

The southernmost coin is from the Pandya dynasty, minted around the Sangam age (300 BCE - 300 AD). Korkai served as their harbour, facilitating trade with the Greeks, Rome, and China. The Madurai coin was minted after the Pandyas gained independence from the Cholas in the 13th century. The Chola gold coin from the 11th century illustrates their conquests over the neighboring kingdoms of Chera and Pandya, featuring the royal emblems: the Chola tiger flanked by the Pandyan twin fish on its right and the Cheran bow behind the tiger, all under a single umbrella symbolizing unified rule. This coin was minted in Thanjavur, located approximately 60 kilometers east of Uraiyur (though Thanjavur is not shown on this older map). Lastly, the Cheras, specifically the Kongu Chera clan from Karur, are represented with a bow and arrow.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

There are so many coins in my collection that needs to be photographed, but alas time is my number one enemy. Work has taken over most of my time and thus makes things extremely difficult to get anything done. Here is another one, but it reminds me of 'The Scream" for some reason:

Thanjavur Nayakas: Raghunatha Nayaka (1614-1640) Æ Kasu (MCSI 743; Ganesh 489)

Obv: Standing Rama, Sita & Laxmana
Rev: Devanagari legend श्री रघु / नाथा (Sri Raghu / natha) in two lines

image.jpeg.60ee21d3588ead526120cd09394001c6.jpeg

image.jpeg.55e82dabf1233093ba5a8c45254248e6.jpeg

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

While Mitchiner's The Coinage and History of Southern India is a bit dated, it is still a good resource. However, if you can find it, Ganesh's The Coins of Tamil Nadu is one of the best resources available. As for non-English ones, தமிழக காசுகள் by ஆறுமுகசீதாராமன் (Seetharaman's Coins of Tamil Nadu) is pretty good. You can find some of his books online, but it is in Tamil:

தஞ்சாவூர் மராட்டியர் காசுகள் - Coins of the Thanjavur Marathas

சேதுபதி காசுகள் - Coins of the Sethupathis

search for coins to find other resources, such as:

Coins of the Cholas, by Biddulph

Of course, Ganesh published multiple books, in English across various regions in South India, but finding them is difficult. Aside from these, there aren't that many, unfortunately...

BTW, I don't have Ganesh nor Setharaman's main books, but I am still looking for it! Setharaman's book is available in India, if you can get someone to ship it to you...

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, quant.geek said:

While Mitchiner's The Coinage and History of Southern India is a bit dated, it is still a good resource. However, if you can find it, Ganesh's The Coins of Tamil Nadu is one of the best resources available. As for non-English ones, தமிழக காசுகள் by ஆறுமுகசீதாராமன் (Seetharaman's Coins of Tamil Nadu) is pretty good. You can find some of his books online, but it is in Tamil:

தஞ்சாவூர் மராட்டியர் காசுகள் - Coins of the Thanjavur Marathas

சேதுபதி காசுகள் - Coins of the Sethupathis

search for coins to find other resources, such as:

Coins of the Cholas, by Biddulph

Of course, Ganesh published multiple books, in English across various regions in South India, but finding them is difficult. Aside from these, there aren't that many, unfortunately...

BTW, I don't have Ganesh nor Setharaman's main books, but I am still looking for it! Setharaman's book is available in India, if you can get someone to ship it to you...

Thanks so much for this run-down, @quant.geek!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is another coin with the corresponding reference books on Thanjavur Nayakas. This particular coin is part of a series of anonymous coins that was issued during the reign of Raghunatha Nayaka onwards. Mitchiner indicates that these so-called Ramayana series depict various scenes from that epic. There is some doubt in that attribution. Seetharaman indicates that the obverse depicts Rajagopalaswamy and the reverse depicts Vijaya Raghava Nayaka sitting on his throne.

Thanjavur Nayakas: Vijaya Raghava Nayaka (1640-1673) Æ Kasu (MCSI 775; Seetharaman 16)

Obv: Standing Rajagopalaswamy (Krishna as the King of the Cowherds) holding horsewhip, leaning on a crutch
Rev: Vijaya Raghava Nayaka seated facing

image.jpeg.db0edc5afc01ebb335f37c8df5d52c9f.jpeg

image.jpeg.92bfa922aa4f92d8e26d59f51d552784.jpeg

References:

Seetharaman's Coins of the Thanjavur Nayakas (Tamil)

V. Vriddhagirisan's The Nayakas of Tanjore (English)

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Netherlands, operating as the United East India Company of the Netherlands, established a foothold in Southern India in Pulicat, Cochin, Tuticorin, and Negapatnam. Several of these territories where wrestled from the Portuguese. Some of the coins issued were among the largest coins in South India. I managed to upgrade my Two Stuivers recently, so here are a few of the coins from the VoC:

Dutch India: Anonymous (ca. 1695) AE Two Stuivers, Nagapatnam (Scholten 1243, KM#29)

Obv: Facing figure of God Kali
Rev: Legend in Tamil - நாகபடடணம (Nagapattanam)
Dim: 29 mm; 54.3g; 15 mm thickness

image.jpeg.2ac83f98cf7b4c93cfcd5b5e7947d37d.jpeg

Dutch India: Anonymous (ca. 1695) AE Stuiver, Nagapatnam (Scholten 1244, KM#28)

Obv: Facing figure of God Kali
Rev: Legend in Tamil - நாகபடடணம (Nagapattanam)
Dim: 28.15 g

image.jpeg.fb418d2f45f37dfb4d8c53aa8af43ce7.jpeg

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 3