Worn & holed, but I like it!

CPK

Posted · Supporter

A recent acquisition was this so-called "heavy" dupondius, struck under Octavian circa 36 B.C. Much had changed in those eight tumultuous years since Caesar's assassination, and there was still more to come before Octavian, then in his late twenties, would emerge as the sole ruler over the Roman world.

OctaviandupondiusDivusJulius.jpg.f061e5b2362b0218433d4f9911849258.jpg

GAUL, VIENNE
Struck under Octavian, 44-27 BC
AE "Heavy" Dupondius (34.07mm, 19.41g, 12h)
Struck circa 36 BC
Obverse: •IMP•CAESAR DIVI•F DIVI•IVLI, bare heads of Julius Caesar, left, and Octavian, right
Reverse: Prow of ship right with superstructure and mast; C•I•V above
References: RPC I 517
Holed, with a dark green patina. Well-rendered portraits of both Octavian and Julius Caesar.

I like this coin for its excellent portraits, particularly of Julius Caesar, which seems to me to be a good attempt at a lifelike and realistic representation. The reverse is also interesting, and according to one auction listing"...could refer to one of several naval actions in 36 BC, but the most likely event to which it alludes is the action on September 3rd, when Agrippa defeated Sextus Pompey in a major naval engagement off Naulochus."

I also appreciate the good surfaces, despite the wear. I prefer smoothly worn surfaces, to technically high grade but rough, patchy, or uneven surfaces. The patina is very dark and caused me a lot of frustration trying to photograph to my satisfaction. But I'm happy with how it turned out.

The major problem with the coin - the hole right through the middle - doesn't detract too much from the overall aesthetic, in my opinion. It helped make the coin more affordable, and you could say it adds an interesting bit of history to the coin - it would seem someone in antiquity felt this coin was something special. Who, and why?

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment and/or post your own coins!

• Like 20
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 8

Posted · Supporter

Crusader States, Frankish Greece. Principality of Achaea. Maud of Hainaut, AD 1316-1318. AR denier (20mm, 0.83g, 5h). Glarentza mint. Obv: ✚MAhAVTA PACh'; Cross pattée. Rev: DE CLARENCIA; Castle tournois surmounted by a cross, small cross below castle. Ref: CCS 39.

image.jpeg.fe7dd4b534976c37492bd337903cc841.jpeg

• Like 13

Posted · Supporter

My initial reaction was "holed coin" awful as I was drawn visually to the hole and not the coin.  As you grow older a more sensible sentiment would be "consider". Considering your comments @CPK you highlight the essence of the coin which is the portraits which are the most important aspect. I think its a great coin and a great lesson in deflecting from any initial observation to really appreciate the history. Thank you! A coin I would welcome myself given due consideration , and as you say, an opportunity to buy a life time portrait of Julius Caesar at a reasonable price.

• Like 1
  • Yes 2

Posted (edited)

The album version of that is also highly recommended --granted, this one is indispensible.  That insanely good slide player gets more time to show off, and Mick can still remember all the lines.  (Only thing I spotted was, 'yyIf I stuck a knife in my heart, Suicide right on the stage, Would it be enough for your Teenage love, Would it help to ease the pain?  Ease your bray-yay-yain')  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmgCy__eUa8

This has seen the wars (maybe literally), but it's still my only example of King Stephen (1135--EDIT: GOOK: 1154).  Cut halfpenny; the earliest and easily commonest type.  A detector find, with what looks, from here, like restrained cleaning.  The annoying bit is that of the legends, Nothing is struck up but '[fragmentary 'R'] ON'.  So you get ???, moneyer in ???.  ...Thanks for telling me the only thing I already knew.  ...But I have to like the profile, with the jewelled collar (evoking several issues of Henry I) and scepter.  Works for me.

image.jpeg.91f3760168a2705319984f69acdb583e.jpegimage.jpeg.9f4e9bf0fa4f4ca825a7c0678f048f7c.jpeg

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 10

Here are a cupla my Holed Coins

image.png.a01ef47177ada8b2844cb989b07f4295.png

RImp Spain Lepida-Clesa Lepidus 44-36BCE C Balbus L Porcius Colonia Victrix Ivlia Lepida Victory - Bull holed RPI 262 plate 19

image.png.8d094acba28e11b56c7fe7a73aef2f8f.png

China ANCIENT Cowrie - Shang DynBONE 2 holes for clothing or funeral bier 20mm 

Cowrie Currency - Shang Dynasty 1750-1150 BCE BONE 2 holes 20mm Hartill 1-2v Coole 51-66

image.png.b0bf29f8cbeb7330d3a26821536d6d60.png

RI Arcadius AR Siliqua 383-408 CE Roma Seated l holding globe with Victory; VIRTVS ROMANORVM RIC 106b 88 cat no

• Like 4