There are sometimes nice experiences with coin dealers !

Qcumbor

Posted (edited)

Hi coin friends

In our perpetual quest for new coins to add to our collections, we are often prone to complain about bad behavior of coin dealers, about our frustration at auction, and so on. You know what I mean, and we actually have numerous threads about that.

Let me tell you a different story this time

Putting together the 22 different types constituing the Divi series of antoniniani minted under Trajan Decius took me about 17 years. It's been a long and patient journey. I lenghtly explained it in a thread at the other place : https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-trajan-decius-the-divi-series.296342/

Some of them are easy finds, some are quite difficult to put your hand on. Among them are the two types celebrating Hadrian. They're not the rarest but have such a reputation, hence they demand a premium. 

Back in 2008, I was lucky to score the following from the Vcoin dealer Pars Coins. By this time it was by far the most expensive I acquired and still remains at the second place in this regard :

7828a4b9219f42058f3b9fe37372e906.jpg

Hadrianus, Antoninianus - Rome mint AD 250/251
DIVO HADRIANO Radiate head right
CONSECRATIO Eagle facing
4.02 gr, 20 mm
Ref : RIC IV # 87, Cohen # 1508, RCV # 9472

I have since posted it numerous times and nothing ever seemed wrong to anyone.

Until now !!

Fast forward to last february

There's a website run by Joaquim Blay dedicated to the Divi Series. On the occasion of an upgrade he posted at Forvm Ancient Coins to advertise the novelty. 24 hours later a member wrote that they had spotted some transfer die fakes, with convincing enough explanations that no doubt remained, and guess what, my coin was one of them !

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=133307.msg793777

At first I was quite shocked, first for having not spotted the coin as being fake 🤔, then for having my series incomplete again 😁 and finally for the loss 😞 . I decided to throw an email to Parviz Ahghari with a link to the Forvm discussion. I have to say the man has been great and professional, sticking to the Vcoins code of ethics : He asked me to send the coin back, and immediately after he got it in the mail I received a full refund ! 16 years after I had purchased the coin !

Now, this is what my Divi series looks like !
The good news, is I have now the goal of completing it again

0360-Diviseriesb-Hadrien.jpg.cf97b23d65f3ce1cdcf941886326d95a.jpg

Thanks for reading. 
Please, comment, and/or tell us nice stories you've had with dealers, fakes you have spotted long after purchase, refunds you were able to obtain, or whatever you find relevant (or irrelevant all the same 🙂 )

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 18
  • Clap 5
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 2
  • Shock 1

Posted · Supporter

@Qcumbor glad it worked out for you to return it. As you said the disappointment of having an incomplete series is somewhat offset by your new goal to try and complete it again. I have nothing but good to say about Pars coins. I have successfully won coins at three of his auctions on Vauctions, with the coins being dispatched each time promptly and securely packaged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Wow! That's a heck of a return policy!

My best experience came from Bargain Bin Ancients. I buy from there frequently, and Brian the owner knows I have a thing for "puzzle coins", so one order he just added these posers! I have some ideas, but don't have a 100% attribution for any yet.

53698874321_0f84761ba2_o.jpg.8917481ae7b1fd29c66742dfad990934.jpg

53698874401_01d3acb67d_o.jpg.f64fcc077e60ca0049c0fcf77bf3dd96.jpg

53699085553_fc8b9058c3_o.jpg.483cd5e0e3cc819d624d2c8270275c80.jpg

53699214284_d3c86238e9_o.jpg.a66600221f81a7d4607163b5724f496c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Gasp 1

Posted · Supporter

Good for the dealer. Even though on VCoins, they're all supposed to guarantee authenticity, having a dealer fulfill that guarantee, no questions asked, 16 years after the date of purchase speaks very highly of them. Good behavior ought to be rewarded - I will keep Pars Coins in mind next time I'm planning a purchase.

• Like 1
  • Yes 5

Posted (edited)

That's wonderful that you received such fine service.  I have yet to order from Pars, but having such integrity does instill confidence.

Yes, I've come across a lot of great dealers on vcoins.

I ordered my first U.S. coin from a U.S.-based vcoins dealer; 2 1/2 weeks and waiting.  Certified mail is supposed to be slow, but come on.

How long should I wait before going to vcoins' management?  I at least received something when I ordered from Opisthodomos.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Wow! That's a heck of a return policy!

My best experience came from Bargain Bin Ancients. I buy from there frequently, and Brian the owner knows I have a thing for "puzzle coins", so one order he just added these posers! I have some ideas, but don't have a 100% attribution for any yet.

53698874321_0f84761ba2_o.jpg.8917481ae7b1fd29c66742dfad990934.jpg

53698874401_01d3acb67d_o.jpg.f64fcc077e60ca0049c0fcf77bf3dd96.jpg

53699085553_fc8b9058c3_o.jpg.483cd5e0e3cc819d624d2c8270275c80.jpg

53699214284_d3c86238e9_o.jpg.a66600221f81a7d4607163b5724f496c.jpg

That second coin looks like it has the monster of Loch Ness on the obverse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Qcumbor said:

Hi coin friends

In our perpetual quest for new coins to add to our collections, we are often prone to complain about bad behavior of coin dealers, about our frustration at auction, and so on. You know what I mean, and we actually have numerous threads about that.

Let me tell you a different story this time

Putting together the 22 different types constituing the Divi series of antoniniani minted under Trajan Decius took me about 17 years. It's been a long and patient journey. I lenghtly explained it in a thread at the other place : https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-trajan-decius-the-divi-series.296342/

Some of them are easy finds, some are quite difficult to put your hand on. Among them are the two types celebrating Hadrian. They're not the rarest but have such a reputation, hence they demand a premium. 

Back in 2008, I was lucky to score the following from the Vcoin dealer Pars Coins. By this time it was by far the most expensive I acquired and still remains at the second place in this regard :

7828a4b9219f42058f3b9fe37372e906.jpg

Hadrianus, Antoninianus - Rome mint AD 250/251
DIVO HADRIANO Radiate head right
CONSECRATIO Eagle facing
4.02 gr, 20 mm
Ref : RIC IV # 87, Cohen # 1508, RCV # 9472

I have since posted it numerous times and nothing ever seemed wrong to anyone.

Until now !!

Fast forward to last february

There's a website run by Joaquim Blay dedicated to the Divi Series. On the occasion of an upgrade he posted at Forvm Ancient Coins to advertise the novelty. 24 hours later a member wrote that they had spotted some transfer die fakes, with convincing enough explanations that no doubt remained, and guess what, my coin was one of them !

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=133307.msg793777

At first I was quite shocked, first for having not spotted the coin as being fake 🤔, then for having my series incomplete again 😁 and finally for the loss 😞 . I decided to throw an email to Parviz Ahghari with a link to the Forvm discussion. I have to say the man has been great and professional, sticking to the Vcoins code of ethics : He asked me to send the coin back, and immediately after he got it in the mail I received a full refund ! 16 years after I had purchased the coin !

Now, this is what my Divi series looks like !
The good news, is I have now the goal of completing it again

0360-Diviseriesb-Hadrien.jpg.cf97b23d65f3ce1cdcf941886326d95a.jpg

Thanks for reading. 
Please, comment, and/or tell us nice stories you've had with dealers, fakes you have spotted long after purchase, refunds you were able to obtain, or whatever you find relevant (or irrelevant all the same 🙂 )

Q

Wow 🤩! Great collection & group display 😃.

• Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

Posted (edited)

Call me a skeptic, but I am not entirely convinced by the image analysis Din X has given.  Before I reveal my ignorance, however, I need to ask, how many die types are known for what he calls the "mother" coin (first coin below)?  More than one pair?  If so, then it's back to the drawing board for me.

Here are his notes for comparison:

Why are they transfer die fakes?
     1. There is a ghost line on the obverse which is 100% representing the flan shape and flan end of the authentic mother
     2. The edge cracks on the reverse have been copied, they are an individual characteristic from striking of the mother and should not be found identical on another coin

3. There is an encrustration on the I of DIVI on the mother this encrustration, which is an individual characteristic of the mother from environment and it has been copied
     4. These fakes only have details from the original dies which can already be found on the authentic mother!  No new details, from the original dies which are missing on the mother. 
      5. Detail loss and soapyness

The coins below appear in 4th and 5th position in his analysis, and though they appear to be obverse and reverse die matches, there are some significant differences between them by virtue of flan characteristics. Eg. ONLY the "mother" coin has a sprue, which is replaced in the second example by a flan crack.  Meanwhile, the double crack below the bust on the "mother" coin does not carry over to both sides of the coin in the second example. 

338709Mutter.jpg.0d9fecc114252e224407aa1cac428674.jpg

781797falsch.jpg.ebb67098610a0795be8fd7c0c52aabd0.jpg

Other problems have surfaced, but before I look further I would like to hear about observed die DIFFERENCES in this coin. 

I will be the first to admit I have a lot to learn about die matching, and there are people here who can lead the way, but for the moment I need to withhold judgement.

Edited by lrbguy
typos
  • Like 2

Interesting thoughts @lrbguy

35 minutes ago, lrbguy said:

....I need to ask, how many die types are known for what he calls the "mother" coin (first coin below)?  More than one pair?  If so, then it's back to the drawing board for me.

If that's the question you ask, Joaquim has recorded 90 different obverse dies for Hadrianus antoniniani of the series

Q

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lrbguy said:

I would like to hear about observed die DIFFERENCES in this coin

image.png.4105d08b6a8b3fce4dbee33749cc146f.png

You can see the edges of the "mother" coin, captured by the transfer die, showing up on the copy (green arrows). You can also see the edge of the sprue copied (red arrow). Various wear/damage aspects of the mother coin have also been copied such as the scratch across the right wing (red arrows).

It would be easy to get rid of the die cracks on the transfer die. When initially copied cracks on the coin will transfer as raised areas on the die, which were then filed down to eliminate them.

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

43 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

Interesting thoughts @lrbguy

If that's the question you ask, Joaquim has recorded 90 different obverse dies for Hadrianus antoniniani of the series

Q

That's 90 obverse dies for this "commemorative" under Decius?

If so, that is impressive then and now (in the observation).

But then that means the comparisons for spotting these anomalous commemorative pieces must have been very extensive.

That too is impressive.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, lrbguy said:

That's 90 obverse dies for this "commemorative" under Decius?

If so, that is impressive then and now (in the observation).

But then that means the comparisons for spotting these anomalous commemorative pieces must have been very extensive.

That too is impressive.

OOPS, sorry, it's 90 coins in the database, from 24 obverse dies. My bad, I've been a bit too quick 😄 

Emperor Coins
Registered
Diferent
Dies
Known
Rate
Coins/
Known Dies
Number of Original Dies
Estimated by Goods' Method
Dies Stand.Dev. Singletons %Known
Augusto 318 69 4,61 72 2 12 96,2%
Vespasiano 316 76 4,16 80 2 15 95,3%
Tito 250 50 5,00 51 1 7 97,2%
Nervae 135 19 7,11 19 1 3 97,8%
Traiano 408 91 4,48 95 2 16 96,1%
Hadriano 90 24 3,75 28 2 12 86,7%
Antonino 541 94 5,76 96 2 14 97,4%
Marco 98 18 5,44 18 1 1 99,0%
Commodo 231 47 4,91 49 1 8 96,5%
Severo 107 19 5,63 20 1 4 96,3%
Alexandro 304 51 5,96 53 1 10 96,7%
Total 2798 558 5,01 579 5 102 96,4%

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 1
  • Shock 1

2 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

OOPS, sorry, it's 90 coins in the database, from 24 obverse dies. My bad, I've been a bit too quick 😄 

Q

Still impressive.  Spotting all that!

• Yes 1

• Benefactor

I had a similar experience with Pars Coins although it was only a year or two between purchase and it being revealed as a fake. I was surprised to see the coin for sale in a new auction from another company that had nothing to do with pars coins after I returned it. I am sure that pars returned it to whoever sold it to them who in turn sold it on in a new auction. I contacted the auction house who pretty much ignored me and sold the coin anyway. So don't be surprised if you see your coin for sale sometime or many times in the future. eBay is probably the final dumping ground for coins that have been deemed to be fake more than is convenient for regular sales channels. 😊

Another thing to watch out for is the concept of lifetime guarantee. Do you think Roma's going to honor their lifetime guarantee anymore, I doubt it. If you buy things from a single proprietor company who is much older than you, don't be surprised if their company disappears at some point and with it their guarantee. 

I usually send things I have questions about to David Sear as soon as I get them so that I can use the lifetime guarantee if necessary. It's a little disturbing to hear how many David Sear coins have been shown to be fakes recently...

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with returns, but Tom Vossen is fast becoming one of my favorite European dealers.  Some others have better patinas or toned silver, but there's interesting stuff and the shipping is very prompt. I hopped on some Byzantines I wanted for a long time.

• Like 1