Whatever happened to Numismatik Lanz?

rasiel

I'm aware that Lanz went on the slippery slope going from listing toolies to eventually outright fakes. My question is when did it (apparently) entirely go out of business? I see their website is redirecting to a cosmetics company so, yeah, what a fall from grace! To think they went from a peak in 2000 when they had the absolutely stunning Leo Benz sale to slinging ten buck coins on ebay a decade later has to be the greatest coin business implosion since the days of NFA. So what happened? Is it really as simple as greed and incompetence of a single individual? Isn't the brand name, with roots dating back over a century across some of the biggest names in European auction house, not worth the literal cost of $20 a year to keep the lanz.com domain registered?

Would love to know the inside story!

Rasiel

• Like 5
  • Mind blown 2

To tell you the truth, I forgot they existed until you made this thread. It's been years since I bought from them. I stopped when they started selling fakes.

Good Riddance!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The last post with similar questions about what happened to Lanz on the German forum:

https://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67924

As @Dwarf mentioned, there are only rumors and not direct sources. If the information in the thread is correct, he would be 80 or 81 years old now, so being in a nursing home is plausible. The downfall of the company is variously attributed to either "students" or his son taking over, or confusingly, his son having no interest in taking over.

Edited by Postvmvs
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Within the last year, Lanz still had an ebay store, selling off old Lanz auction catalogs. I guess they ran out of fake ancient coins to sell. It seems to be gone entirely now. 

Hubert Lanz was still involved -- and refusing to give people refunds for fakes! -- as recently as 2020 or so. You can probably find old threads about him on Coin Talk 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

Yes he sold one that then was authenticated by Sear who later changed  his mind after NGC condemned it . Lanz then resigned from the IAPN to avoid repaying the buyer. I can't remember who was the  purchaser. There was a long discussion on  it elsewhere but years ago, where it surprised me quite how many of the Sear Certificates were backing  unsound coins. No idea what percentage but by number there were a lot.

• Like 4
  • Mind blown 1
  • Popcorn 2

A friend today mentioned the Numisfitz on Biddr recently (and also eBay) is associated with the old Lanz. I don’t have anything beyond this comment which came from a rather knowledgeable source.

• Like 3

One of Lanz's last sales included a coin on the back of the catalog which was an obvious fake... Lanz tried to save face by holding a contest to identify which coin was fake in their sale (read: he didn't want to reprint the catalog).

I was nearly stung by Brad's infamous fake tetradrachm as well. I had a dealer (not Lanz) pushing me to buy the coin privately, saying they had checked with other experts who all said the coin was real. I wasn't comfortable with it based on the odd style of the reverse - the coin just didn't "seem" right and I insisted on passing despite this dealer chewing me out for how much time they wasted (approximately three emails, and it was priced at $40K to me that point). They even told me Brad was bidding on the coin to try to validate the interest in it...

It's unfortunate all around, especially with Brad never receiving a refund. The coin industry is generally above-board but there have been enough bad actors that it's worth asking around to other collectors to find who the "good folks" are.

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 6
  • Shock 3
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

I was told some years ago, by a dealer who had it directly from Hubert Lanz himself, that he (Lanz) had very little to do with the Ebay operation beyond lending it his name (and of course, reaping the lion's share of the profits.) This was long enough ago that Lanz still had a reputation to protect. I never tried to verify that, and it's plenty bad enough of course, if it's even true, and in any case, the truly ugly Bowlin/IAPN episode is all Hubert.

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
1 hour ago, AncientJoe said:

One of Lanz's last sales included a coin on the back of the catalog which was an obvious fake... Lanz tried to save face by holding a contest to identify which coin was fake in their sale (read: he didn't want to reprint the catalog).

Wow. That is really bad.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

I was nearly stung by Brad's infamous fake tetradrachm as well. I had a dealer (not Lanz) pushing me to buy the coin privately, saying they had checked with other experts who all said the coin was real. I wasn't comfortable with it based on the odd style of the reverse - the coin just didn't "seem" right and I insisted on passing despite this dealer chewing me out for how much time they wasted (approximately three emails, and it was priced at $40K to me that point). They even told me Brad was bidding on the coin to try to validate the interest in it...

It's unfortunate all around, especially with Brad never receiving a refund. The coin industry is generally above-board but there have been enough bad actors that it's worth asking around to other collectors to find who the "good folks" are.

I hope the dealer who pushed you to buy it is now on your "do not trust" list! I'm surprised Brad didn't sue to recover the money -- maybe Lanz was judgment-proof by then.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1
  • Yes 1

12 hours ago, ela126 said:

A friend today mentioned the Numisfitz on Biddr recently (and also eBay) is associated with the old Lanz. I don’t have anything beyond this comment which came from a rather knowledgeable source.

If I remember correctly, just some of their former employees work at Numisfitz but there's no official link or agreement between Numisfitz and Lanz. Perhaps they managed to get some of their catalogue inventory because they do sell a lot of Lanz catalogues.

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
14 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

dealer chewing me out for how much time they wasted (approximately three emails, and it was priced at $40K to me that point)

They must be really spoiled with clients. 

• Yes 1