Dattari provenance help!

Robi

Hi all! For some time now I have been collecting bronzes from Alexandria in Rome. I managed to buy a drachma from the Dattari collection (at least that's what it said in the auction description). Therefore, I would like to ask people who have the Dattari/Savio catalog to share a photo of the page from Dattari/Savio with my coin. Thank you very much!
Robert

Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Hadrian, 117-138 Drachm circa 126-127 (year 11), Æ 23.5mm., 22.25g. Laureate, draped and cuir. RPC L ΕΝΔΕΚΑΤΟY Euthenia reclining on sphinx, l., holding ears of corn. Dattari-Savio Pl. 81, 1708 (this coin). RPC 5661.5 (this coin)

1718269910205.jpg

1718269910183.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Robi,

I do not have Dattari/Savio but do have a few other references for the type, shown below. There are many collectors of Alexandrian coins here and I’m sure someone will be along soon to help!

Emmett 969(11), Geissen 960, Milne (not listed)

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Orange Julius said:

Hi Robi,

I do not have Dattari/Savio but do have a few other references for the type, shown below. There are many collectors of Alexandrian coins here and I’m sure someone will be along soon to help!

Emmett 969(11), Geissen 960, Milne (not listed)

Thank You for references. Maybe there will be someone who has the Dattari/Savio catalog. Unfortunately, it is practically unavailable on the numismatic market

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alwin said:

No photo for 1708 in my book, no Tav 81 (Tav I to Tav XXXVII)

He needs the Savio version, not the original you have (a reprint of) here. I don't have a copy myself so can't help OP, sorry. The Savio edition includes additional plates, from coins found in a safe later.

Edited by Hesiod
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Robi said:

Hi all! For some time now I have been collecting bronzes from Alexandria in Rome. I managed to buy a drachma from the Dattari collection (at least that's what it said in the auction description). Therefore, I would like to ask people who have the Dattari/Savio catalog to share a photo of the page from Dattari/Savio with my coin. Thank you very much!
Robert

Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Hadrian, 117-138 Drachm circa 126-127 (year 11), Æ 23.5mm., 22.25g. Laureate, draped and cuir. RPC L ΕΝΔΕΚΑΤΟY Euthenia reclining on sphinx, l., holding ears of corn. Dattari-Savio Pl. 81, 1708 (this coin). RPC 5661.5 (this coin)

1718269910205.jpg

1718269910183.jpg

Dattari-Savio Pl. 81, 1708 (this coin) - Looks like the right coin to me.

h1.jpg.b49c067a62ac25e900c48cd7bc9152f8.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

2 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

Dattari-Savio Pl. 81, 1708 (this coin) - Looks like the right coin to me.

h1.jpg.b49c067a62ac25e900c48cd7bc9152f8.jpg

Thank you very much for confirming the provenance! Yes, that's right, this is the coin. Regards, Robert

Thank you @Broucheion  and thank you again @Sulla80. The coin is in poor condition, so the sphinx is hard to recognize, but yes, it is there. But I am very happy with provenance, and in general, when it comes to coins from Roman Alexandria, the condition is somehow less important than when it comes to my other collections (For example, Antioch from Syria) - and this is due to the rarity of Alexandrian coins - many bronze coins are rare or very rare.

Greetings,

Robert Kh.

• Like 2