Eugenius from a group lot

Factor

Today I received a group lot of small LRBs I won on one of European auctions. It was rather cheap, shipping costed me more than the actual coins. The reason I was bidding on this lot was this little coin I spotted in this group:

PXL_20240617_032640161.jpg.453f75b54b63e05bd4fd9ac20657e88b.jpgPXL_20240617_032652466.jpg.7edca9cab9be17a7e9a68402004f93bf.jpg

AE4 of Eugenius, seems to be of Aquileia mint. It is off center but in rather decent shape for the type, with nice and clear portrait. Once I was very much into LRBs (particularly RIC IX period) and always wanted to have a Eugenius coin. Now I finally got it, took only 20 years 😂. Post your Eugenius bronzes or lucky group lot finds!

• Like 17
  • Clap 5
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Mind blown 1

Eugenius is definitely something to be excited about!  I am also missing Eugenius, but he's an emperor that I want bad enough, so I'll someday get a siliqua.

I have an Arcadius siliqua which was *possibly* issued by Eugenius, but that's about it.  Johannes is the closest I have for bearded usurpers.

Really nice find. Congrats!

I've had these two for many years, unfortunately upgrading either is probably not going to happen at this point.

VICTORIA AVGGG reverse:

EugeniusVICTORIAAVGG1.jpg.39718730a579fb60db7461d270329926.jpg

SPES ROMANORVM reverse:

EugeniusSPESROMANORVM1.jpg.9c6a5de8420d28aabaae462e046684ff.jpg

Both struck in Aquileia with either AQP or AQS in exergue.

• Like 10
  • Clap 1

That is a great find in a group lot.

I have only one coin in the name of Eugenius:

Eugenius, 392-394 Siliqua Lugdunum circa 392-394, AR 18.00 mm., 2.16 g.
Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust r. Rev. Roma seated l. on cuirass, holding Victory on globe in r. hand and inverted spear in l.; in exergue, LVGPS. RIC 46.

Unbenannt.PNG

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 3

On 6/20/2024 at 2:28 AM, Tejas said:

That is a great find in a group lot.

I have only one coin in the name of Eugenius:

Eugenius, 392-394 Siliqua Lugdunum circa 392-394, AR 18.00 mm., 2.16 g.
Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust r. Rev. Roma seated l. on cuirass, holding Victory on globe in r. hand and inverted spear in l.; in exergue, LVGPS. RIC 46.

Unbenannt.PNG

Well, to be sure, with a coin like that you don't really need any other lol. Well done, high five!

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

6 hours ago, rasiel said:

Well, to be sure, with a coin like that you don't really need any other lol. Well done, high five!

Indeed.  Lugdunum isn't my favorite mint, but with a coin like that, great condition, unclipped, just wow.  That deserves a standing ovation!